• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which character is most affected by Wifi lag?

Tenki

Smash Hero
Hey, I was replying to a "MK on wifi" thread and while I was replying to it, I came to an interesting conclusion.

I see where you're coming from, but there are some cool tricks with MK that work 10 times better offline than online. Also, when you're online MK is FORCED to spam in some situations because of the lag. Like affinity said, because there always will be button lag he can't react as fast and limits his potential greatly.

Face it. MK has far more potential offline.
What tricks?

I'm interested in these tricks- their usage, application in gameplay, practicality, and existence.

You're lucky MK has something multiple things to spam that he can still get away with. Other characters don't have that ability.

Anything Any moves/techniques that requires something under say, 5 frames' precision/near-perfect buffering to perform, is hindered by input lag. Above that, it's adaptable by the player in control. A counter complaint against Sonic online is that even though opponents have problems hitting/timing their moves to hit Sonic, and Sonic has problems doing things like spindash combos online, the Sonic player can just adapt to the lag to get the timing right on moves and I can vouch for this - I can usually pull off spindash combos and most techniques like spinshot or whatever just fine online. The person on the defense is then disadvantaged because the openings (or in Sonic's case, predicting the approach moves) is more difficult to camp. And on the counter-counter-example, a striking majority of Sonic's gameplay is camping for those openings in the opponent's moves, so it's just as bad, if not, worse for him, who doesn't have any high priority spammable moves.

That said,

Think of it from your opponents' perspective - they have only a small window of time to punish you, and even if they can predict your movement, 'buffering'/ doing the inputs ahead of time doesn't guarantee that the punishment moves will be done to fit in that window, or that their moves will come out in time to either hit you/block your attacks.

Aggressive play from players who are accustomed to online is strangely effective on people, and defensive play is much harder to pull off.

And who can generally play aggressive on most characters with little fear of punishment or being outprioritized than Metaknight?

So in a sense, 'online matchups' are a lie, since it's not character vs character that you're rating as much as it is player vs player, since some players can adapt well to online lag (at least, to an extent), and others can't handle it at all. But aggressive players who can read ahead of time... will generally do better online than defensive / campy (move camping, not projectile camping) players
Blue are edits that I just added, for clarity, and the bold part is what has to do with this thread.

DeathNote

Smash Apprentice
Ice Climbers. Depending on the lag it can become impossible to pull the chain grabs off. Something the Ice Climbers rely on.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I have never seen a blue connection!!

Is that better than Green?
Yes, actually, it's amazing.

T_T I got to leech off of someone's router at my dorm for a while, since the school network requires login (that the wii can't normally do), and it's like, T1. I had 4 blue connections, and a ton of yellow and green, and only 1 red. I'm confident to say that if it was anything less than blue, it was because of the opponent's connection.

At my home connection (Cable [not the wire, >_>] internet), we have network firewalls and crap and I'm mostly with green-yellow-orange connections. But I usually delete orange-red, since it's no fun to play on D:

for people who didn't read the long wall of text, this sums it up:

Characters who can somewhat safely play aggressively offline are 'better' online, and characters who rely more on reacting to opponent moves are 'worse' online.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Yes, actually, it's amazing.

T_T I got to leech off of someone's router at my dorm for a while, since the school network requires login (that the wii can't normally do), and it's like, T1. I had 4 blue connections, and a ton of yellow and green, and only 1 red. I'm confident to say that if it was anything less than blue, it was because of the opponent's connection.

At my home connection (Cable [not the wire, >_>] internet), we have network firewalls and crap and I'm mostly with green-yellow-orange connections. But I usually delete orange-red, since it's no fun to play on D:

for people who didn't read the long wall of text, this sums it up:

Characters who can somewhat safely play aggressively offline are 'better' online, and characters who rely more on reacting to opponent moves are 'worse' online.

Marth is a very aggressive char and he doesn't do well online...

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Game and Watch does great on WiFi. Due to the fact that there's too much lag for the opponent to react, just FSmash, hit with the lingering hitbox, repeat.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Marth is a very aggressive char and he doesn't do well online...
Eh, when I hear Marth, I usually hear stuff about his defensive game, not his offensive game.

Have you tried F-air F-air Fsmash? [quick 3-hitter]

Jumping back and then moving forward with F-air when someone's running at you? [opponent runs into it]

I played against EL online a few times months ago, and basically if he kept a wall of attacks near the edge, I was getting hit. It sucked on the receiving end.

Basically, characters with spammable moves will do better online if they play aggressively with them. I lol@people who play campy Metaknight and complain about how much he sucks online when they could just be spamming moves and getting hits in (roflmao, I played a laggy cross country wifi match- GA vs CA against a Metaknight, and in the first match, I got hit by a double shuttle loop by the edge - such BS >_>).

But it depends on your connection, too.

Obviously, if you try doing this against someone with like green connection, it won't give you the same results as spamming stuff against someone with yellow-red connection.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Eh, when I hear Marth, I usually hear stuff about his defensive game, not his offensive game.

Have you tried F-air F-air Fsmash? [quick 3-hitter]

Jumping back and then moving forward with F-air when someone's running at you? [opponent runs into it]

I played against EL online a few times months ago, and basically if he kept a wall of attacks near the edge, I was getting hit. It sucked on the receiving end.

Basically, characters with spammable moves will do better online if they play aggressively with them. I lol@people who play campy Metaknight and complain about how much he sucks online when they could just be spamming moves and getting hits in (roflmao, I played a laggy cross country wifi match- GA vs CA against a Metaknight, and in the first match, I got hit by a double shuttle loop by the edge - such BS >_>).

But it depends on your connection, too.

Obviously, if you try doing this against someone with like green connection, it won't give you the same results as spamming stuff against someone with yellow-red connection.
yeah, my Marth style is taken right from melee so, i suppose i should think about becoming a defensive spammer instead of an offensive spammer if im going to win in brawl D:

Or maybe ill stick too offline brawl/online smash64 xP

goodkid

Smash Lord
It really depends on their playstyle, but characters that require timing, like Ice Climbers will have a harder time, but if you play very simple it shouldn't affect you much.

Johnny_C

Smash Cadet
Great online: ROB. he has long time attacks anyways, so people doesn't know how to react to a N-air with ******** action.

Bad online: Ness and Lucas, since recovery becomes a torture, and Marth, because he needs some timing on his movements, Lucario is a bit crappy too online.

DUB

Smash Lord
Diddy is seriously impossible to play with WiFi lag. As quick as you ahve to be with him he has to be most affected.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Yet bananas are too hard to deal with during lag.

Tenki my playstyle it more based on character reaction not aggression. So that makes my Ike do horrid online xD

Pikachu fails online, only thing pikachu has is thunder, at the cost of QA and combos.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
Wolf can be affected badly by Wifi, it depends on the player. If its a campy *** player, then he *****, if its an agro wolf then hes gonna suck.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
The more technical characters, and characters who rely heavily on spacing are most hampered by wi-fi. That brings the list to:

-Marth
-Link
-Sonic
-DK
-Yoshi

And it sucks because I use three of those characters :(

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
probably a slow character. They're already slow enough. Why make them slower?
Honestly an aggressive slow character is harder to deal with online since their attacks are powerful, and the reaction time of the defender is hindered. If anything the lag makes them better.

Which is why people don't like playing against Ike online. :laugh:

Toby.

Smash Master
Well, in general, throwing your opponent off the level (Squirtle D-throw, Charizard D-throw, Ivy... B-throw) is usually a free switch.
Problem is, online can extend the duration of the switch by a stupid amount. I've ko'd, hit down B and been in the ball long enough for the person to come back, fully charge a smash, miss, miss a SECOND smash, and then hit me with the third.

It sucks.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Problem is, online can extend the duration of the switch by a stupid amount. I've ko'd, hit down B and been in the ball long enough for the person to come back, fully charge a smash, miss, miss a SECOND smash, and then hit me with the third.

It sucks.

ROFLMAO!

Was it on Lylat by any chance?

That's really horrible XD

pokechange stops when backgrounds are changing.

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
I don't think it's the characters as much as it is the players. If you use a lot of AT's things get harder, because Sometimes the game wont read fast iputs like Glide tossing, Dacus ect. People that rely on tripping combos, Spotdodge> Dsmash, pivot stuff, any kind of cancel... Problems with Lag. Spacing may also be a problem but not as much imo.

Top Bottom