• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When playing your friends, what gets you mad the most?

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Suprisingly, my Brawl doesn't lag. But when i go to my friend's house, their Brawl lags. Is there something wrong with my or my friendssss (quote "ssss") Brawl or is mine special? (Mine's is ***)
Your connection is probably better than their's.

randomness_FTW!

Smash Cadet
Believe me buddy, i always hated people hu think they are so good in brawl, trash talk, lose, then go either like "You cheated!!" or "That wasn't fair!!" or just turn silent going like "so? big deal.."
Exactly the same with my friends, except they don't trash talk too much. I actually only have one friend thats pretty decent with pikachu, and knows how to QAC and combo, and he just says good luck before a match.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Friends who rage tick me off. As in 'I throw my controller in anger' rage.

As a TO, it's an embarrassment.

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
JOHNS!

I mean I don't mind one excuse, but when they just bombard you with "I could have done this/that, so you wouldn't have done this/that" or "Your lucky I didn't do this/that".

DITTOS!

What the heck is wrong with mirror matches (same characters)? Whenever I pick one of my mates mains, they end up picking mine. Then I just politely ask "dittos?" then, they'll reply without hesitating the same answer "nah, I want to see what I can do with your main character". In my whole group of friends, I'm the only one who is fine with VS.ing my own main; I even ask for mirror matches!

But one thing I actually enjoy hearing is -

LITTLE KIDS TRASH TALKING:

I personally persist on hearing this, common quotes would be
1."I'll beat you so hard, that you'll end up in chinatown!"
2."Who do you use? (answer) HA! (paste your main here) sucks!"
3."(name of the kid's main) will p00n you!"

No. 2 is the golden one in my opinion.
Then the fun part would be playing them and using Falco chaingrab all the way.

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice
Bragging.

Something small, but I find it really annoying. Usually when I play, if I beat someone I try to be a good sport, "good game", that sort of thing. But when they don't return that courtesy, and just rub it in your face when you lose... it's infuriating. Especially if this occurs after you've won the first 8 games against them (so it's clear you're the better player), and they win the 9th due to stage effects.

chaoslink20

Smash Cadet
Well...there is more than 1 thing that gets me really mad.

1) My friend says that i'm better than him as the all the crap characters. I tell him that he thinks they're crap because he's crap as them. And he replies by saying that he's crap as them because they're crap. It really gets me annoyed >_>

2) Just because i am using combos, he start's saying "OMG STOP SPAMMING! YOU'RE SUCH A SPAMMER/CHEATER!!".

Aceplayer

Smash Journeyman
Whenever I have 2 other friends over (Making it 3 total) they team me because I'm the best. You know, either juggling/comboing me or 1 on 1ing me in turns and then taunting and switching when I have finally been defeated.

This only happens because I am a bit better.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
"No Johns Son".

I hate that. What, can't I recognize a mistake I did and clarify it, so they know why they got the easy hit? Powershields don't always come out when you want them to, using upBs instead of sideBs far offstage and falling to your doom is also a mistake on my part, and miscalculating the distance between you and your opponent while punishing something he did... I say them out loud out of reaction because I get frustrated with myself, but nooooo, the phrase "no johns son" keeps getting used, even if I'm not looking for excuses to put down their victory!

And I hate it even more when outside of Brawl, you complain about your legs hurting or something, and some guy comes and says "no johns". What the hell!

Foxtrotter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
msfoxtrott
The thing that gets me mad the most is that my friends claim that I win just because I spam. After I reply with, "Well, you can still dodge projectiles, y'know," they resort to saying that I play "cheaply." "No Johns" falls on deaf ears for them, mostly because they don't know the phrase.

I don't really get mad on this, but it's kind of annoying when we're playing a free for all and they go, "Gang up on Fox!"

Rantrantrant.

Tianxiazhai

Smash Journeyman
Id say the thing that pisses me off the most is when i beat them, and they use some stupid john, then they beat me next game, brag, i REBEAT THEM, and they john again.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Edge-hogging.

And little gimmicks that lead to edge-hogging. You’re playing friendlies, not tournaments. Not necessary to edge-hog your friend, unless they are doing it to you. Once in awhile, it should be done, but edge-hogging someone at 0, when you’re not even playing competitively is lame. Of course, if you’re having a serious practice with your friend in order to help you competitively, then that’s fine.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
I really ****ing hate the fact that no one plays competitive brawl in the phillipines. (except maybe very very few). When I said i didnt want to brawl with the smashball they said taking something out of the game doesn't make it competitive anymore. (i was all like I bet i can beat all of you 3 on 1 if you still think like that. LOL i actually did)

So i go and teach my cousins how to brawl. One of them keeps rock spamming and i was all like dude stop spamming rock. but i was using Falco so he said stop spamming laser cheater!. It just irks me to no end. in fact The best player i find around is my little 8 year old sister! she is the only one out of my entire family and friends to even know what competitive means. heck she even beat them all on 3 on 1's. so far little sis is my only hope of getting better at brawl. (or just move to Canada already >_>)

sorry about my rant i needed to burn off steam lol :)

Vermy

Smash Champion
When my mate johns about wolf's fail upb, even though i put him in a position where he wouldn't recover.

Watergun ftw.

Sore losing and sore winning in general pisses me off.

Sukai

Smash Champion
When I fall for the stupid **** they do, like sidestep dodge, camp badly, then punish and otherwise decent approach.

When they taunt more than once after a kill (pet peeve).

Oh and when I pull off some NorCal pro **** and then instead of props, it gets shot down, because apparently, "they messed up", while it's never clear what they messed up doing.
And johns.

Sushi3

Smash Apprentice
Edge-hogging.

And little gimmicks that lead to edge-hogging. You’re playing friendlies, not tournaments. Not necessary to edge-hog your friend, unless they are doing it to you. Once in awhile, it should be done, but edge-hogging someone at 0, when you’re not even playing competitively is lame. Of course, if you’re having a serious practice with your friend in order to help you competitively, then that’s fine.
edgehog to footstool, a bit more risky but more interesting?

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
New Pork City.

My friends are item scrubs, so I have to go along with them play on all the uber gay stages.

(Dominican_Playa)

Smash Rookie
This isnt exactly playing with my friends but...
I was playing Brawl on Wifi an tought i would play FFA with 3 random ppl wat happens is i meat a kirby whos AFK a metaknight , who actually is good with him, decides to kill the AFK w.e chance he gets while keeping me away, an a suck up luigi player who decides not to attack the metaknight an instead help him by double teaming me....an some how with out communicating with each other they double team me almost perfectly....(im playing as sonic btw)

so i would hate Double Teamers or as my Real friend call them "Gang Bangers" and people who go afk for 5 matches striaght....(or maybe even more but i quit the game after 5 matches of playing with these *******s)

BurningCrusader777

Smash Journeyman
That they're too easy to beat. It's rare that they take more than a stock off me (and I 3-stock some of them regularly...); though I suppose they return the favor when we play Halo or other FPS Games. Them: 50, 47, 41. Me: 2.

Anyway, it forces me to turn to Wi-Fi to play better players, but that's Wi-Fi :|

Marufuji Ryo

Smash Apprentice
The Johns, they are all ****ty players that think they are good while johning at everything.

When I play them in FFA they double team me, this specific guy goes after me at the start of every game and tries to get the other guy to double team, I win but every time they lose a stock they have a fight saying how they should have done this and that and how one person is going for the wrong guy =/.

I also don't like this melee tard that is the worst john of them all, he continues to play brawl despite that fact that it is a ****ty game to him and is "cheap" every time something does not go his way. One time he beat me with Wario and was bragging about it for a long time, then one day he comes up to me and wants to face me brawl, I demolished him of course with Ike.

But that is not really the problem, the guy seems to have this funny idea of Ike being a cheap character, when I got him down to two stocks he said that "its because he is using Ike that he is winning" but if he was as such the great player as he made himself out to be then he wouldn't be complaining about Ike.

He has two copies of brawl, if he doesn't like it then he should sell them and continue to play melee, I introduced him to Brawl+ but he didn't like it because it never had wavedashing and all that jazz, needless to say I don't give into their whining, I just beat them down harder with every character I use.

Vecayse

Smash Apprentice
How they never wanna play 1 v 1 and how they always team on me even though I'm not the best player in our "group" quite annoying cos I always go down first. And the trash talking annoys me so much it's not even good trash talk... sometimes I'm just thinking to myself: "What..? That doesn't even make sense..."

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
What do i hate, erhmm.

Yeah i know! This must be the most annoying this ever, seriously. You know, my friends have this attitude that when they lose, they give a reason which is: ''You train every day 24/7 and i hardly play Brawl so you're lucky. If i would play brawl as long as you do then i would beat you.'' This doesn't make any sense, i hardly play brawl when people are not here. And when they manage to beat me, like when i was testing approaches or trying to variate my moves, they're like: ''WOW I BEAT YOU OMG SEE I'M BETTER NOW YOU CAN'T BE THE BEST FOREVER.'' Like that. Then i tell them i wasn't playing seriously, and they don't believe it. The next match i win but not with a big amount. Because i'm kinda frustrated XD. Then they think they're better. Err.

Also, when i brawl them, and they managed to get off 1 stock. They're so happy and say: "Well at least 1 stock so i'm good''. I'm like loooool.... And when they got a string of hits they're like: C'mon i thought you were good blablabla, that shizzle. Pretty annoying lol. And they always want items on and FFA -.- And they team up on me aswell but it doesn't work to much XD. 1 guy always picks MetaKnight when i use MArth because he can get 2 stocks off me. So annoying.

Iri5hL3gaCY

Smash Cadet
i have too many friends who spam as their "strategy". one of them mains falco, and he will spam his lazer the whole match. another friend of mine will spam with pikachu, which is even worse! same goes with a friend who mains snake, it's the same attack the whole fight, rockets, grenades, rockets, grenades, it is SO irritating

The Nator

Smash Rookie
When my friend taunts after a KO, when both he and I know he stands no chance at defeating me. For some reason that just pisses me off.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Reading this thread I'm starting to feel really lucky that I have a group of competitive friends, as well as another group of casual gamer friends who I will appropriately adjust my gaming to.

The thing that does bother me though (and my friends can vouch for this as a pretty big argument was sparked by it just last week) is when I'm playing with my competitive group and they sandbag. If they just want to test something out or if we want to have silly Falcon/Ganon dittos that's fine, but when they blatantly sandbag because they feel they don't need to try their hardest (perhaps because I decided to use a secondary who I want to improve with or I was just bored of playing my main all day) I find it not only boring but insulting.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
I started up a club at my school, and being the president everyone assumed that I studied and played the game in my offtime the entire weeks between the Fridays we played....though I often just left my wii there because there's no point in playing without friendlies/tournaments.

Eventually, the general consensus, except for my closer friends, was "he's on the system, I don't feel like playing" so I had to pretty much give up Brawl for half a year just to get the club to work. Still, it was hella fun and I miss those folks, but they still refer to me as the brawl kid when I meet up with them (some guys I never got to know started calling me Ness because they THOUGHT that was the character I had used on them though I didn't.....but that was cool cuz I call them Ness too anyway xD)

But I hate it when my friend gets mad about losing, as I'm sure everyone else does, because I try to have fun......but when your friend is mad there are no options
You can:
1) Go easier, they'll notice and get madder
2) Play your hardest, they'll give up or seriously rage
3) Screw around and try to make them laugh, but you come through as a **** showing off

Then, when your friends are like "Brawl? Sure, I don't care about this game" and you play with them.....that **** is boring.
1) They don't care
2) They don't know what they're doing
3) They seem like they'd rather be doing something else the WHOLE TIME you're playing, even though
they could have fun if they'd just try and have a laugh once in a while (sure, I'll turn on items for them and falcon punch bobombs, why not)

Most annoying quote: "Mario is too broken a character, all you have to do is spam fireballs and cape/edgeguard, I can't do anything!"

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
When you're the best one in your group and you lose a match because you were screwing around or just messed up/self destructed a bunch of times and your opponent never let's down the fact that he "beat you."

"Man he's the best one here, none of us can ever beat him."
"NUH-UH I BEAT HIM WITH MK WHEN HE WAS FALCON. HE GOT COMPLETELY OWNED BY ME KILLED HIMSELF ALL 3 STOCKS WHILE SCREWING AROUND."

So the score is 379-1, but since they beat you that one time, they're hardcore badass gamers.

I'm not even that good. All my friends just suck.

migas140

Smash Rookie
When they decide to pick the stages and pick New Pork City and Hanenbow.

But I have nothing else to complain, my friends are fair sports when they lose and don't overbrag when they win, and it's very cool to play with people like that.

G&W X

Smash Cadet
I hate it when they just hover above me with Princess peach and also I HATE ZSS paralyzer...

Smash Apprentice
When my friend tells me to "calm down" after I beat him. When we make a bet in which the loser jumps off the second floor, and he tells me to "calm down," and pretends it's no big deal that he just lost. No I will not calm down, jump off the second floor now!
:mad:

2Sko

Smash Cadet
When my friend tells me to "calm down" after I beat him. When we make a bet in which the loser jumps off the second floor, and he tells me to "calm down," and pretends it's no big deal that he just lost. No I will not calm down, jump off the second floor now!
:mad:

I also have a similar situation... when my friends used to tell me off, liek u suck, u scrub... I would get pissed and they would say stop getting emotional... but they don't say it THAT much anymore

Top Bottom