• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

***What's going on with Smashbros.com?***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Dangit, it looks like there aren't any personalized animations when you choose your character. Oh well.

And, yes, the blurred screen is evil. I doubt every single revealed character is in the bottom row. NEWCOMERS FTW!

I can see brokenness with this personalized button layout.

Rash

Smash Ace
They told us more than they thought they did. If something as frivolous as the naming system has been translated into english, it's probably close to being done
Maybe.

We at least know for sure that the game isn't actually done yet, because of what Sakurai said about putting names profiles on the Wii remote.

Either way, these updates never seem like much as you begin to read them, but by the time you're done you're pretty satisfied. It's not like Sakurai just told us "hey look, you can have NAMES!", he informed us of the new ability to configure control-settings, which is an awesome addition.

Junaur

Smash Apprentice
I think 4 letters was the way to go. Thought it made interesting abbreviations besides no one wants a long name that gets in the way. Imagine if the longest name in world could be put in. That would cover the entire screen!

As for the blurred character select screen, some thread is gonna have lots of fun with it.
Actually, they could just make it so the longer it is, the smaller the characters are. The characters would still have a limit, but the limit could be increased.
A good part of the update that not many are talking about is that names shorter then 4 characters are centered. Doesn't mean too much, but that always annoyed me for some reason.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Maybe I mis-read Sakurai's blog....

Did he say personal button configurations? Like in Soul Calibur, Street Fighter etc.?

If that's how it works then thank god.

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
Two MAJOR things no one has noticed yet.

1) The still samus picture in the character select screen. That means we're not getting the cool animations from SSB64 ):

2) Remember all the talk about Sakurai "dumbing down" the game? Making it easier to play? THIS -could- be what he was referring to, button configurations, not making teching or L-cancelling easier, but button configurations!

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I wouldn't rule out animations, maybe she moves around in that little space like.... I forget the name of the game... The movement wasn't super cool or anything but it worked.

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
I doubt it very much. It definitely looks like it will stay a still image, and on top of that, that picture is the character art for samus, meaning it's not in-game so won't be animated.

Two MAJOR things no one has noticed yet.

1) The still samus picture in the character select screen. That means we're not getting the cool animations from SSB64 ):

2) Remember all the talk about Sakurai "dumbing down" the game? Making it easier to play? THIS -could- be what he was referring to, button configurations, not making teching or L-cancelling easier, but button configurations!
That could be a possibility.

Good find,even though I don't care much for the character selection animations.

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
Eh, im not too terribly interested in the names part of this thread, but I am very interested in the whole "personalize button configurations". This might be a double edged sword because yes, you can customize the button configuration for your character, and make it more friendly to the moveset that you plan on using (for example: it would definetly make shine dashing easier if you could change up which buttons to use IMO, this is just an example, im not trying to have a big debate on SD for brawl). BUT... if a different configuration compliments different characters (floaties vs. speed vs. heavy) then its going to be that much harder to go back and forth between characters. I like the ability to customize your controls, but this will probably just lead to a whole new list of things that are banned, once people figure them out. To me, this is one of the more interesting updates, because changing up the buttons could have potentially huge implications for different characters and movesets.

Not exactly sure how i feel about all this yet, i will let you know though.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I agree, im not a fan of all the white menu screens that the wii has been using, I mean what is this, a Mac?

CBNJ

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I see what you mean about the screen, I wish it had more of a badass look, like a black or dark red. But I doubt I'll change the button configuration, it'll get wayy to complicated.:p

Toologist

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Toologist
3DS FC
0963-1281-8162
Bjdavis said everything I was wanting to say. IMO, Smash just became more varied, now that we can configure button layouts on any of the 4 methods of playing the game. I'm sold. *thumbs up*

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
I don't care about anything else. If i can turn off up on the joystick to jump I'll be a happy man.

and I see the button configuration mostly to help the other controllers besides the gamecube one. If they made a set way in witch you had to use just the wii-mote a lot more people would be upset or not use it.

Sandy

Smash Champion
I've noticed that every update is in fours, How to Play has four bullets basically, Game Modes with the Four types of Control, Four Stages, Four Items, and Four tidbits music pieces. So is this a big coincidence? Does the number four have to do with the number of people in the game? Does it really matter? Just a thinker.................

This update basically says that you can now assign whichever type of control you prefer to your name(s). That would be great if your controls could be saved to the Wii remote... But, for those who choose the GC controller, means they will still use the remote to show their choice. I am just waiting for the day that I check the site only to find that the first notice has been posted, a release date that is close... It will probably be either Nov or Dec... :-(

Sandy

Smash Champion
Its a good feature. Since all the ways you can control the game, it'll be good not having to change it every time you play. As for saving the name to the Wiimote I don't see why it couldn't happen, maybe we'd have to leave an open space in it where the Miis go, that's fine. If it can't be done, hopefully we could save it to an SD card.
The text entering format, hopefully we can change it to QWERT keyboard.

CBNJ

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed that every update is in fours, How to Play has four bullets basically, Game Modes with the Four types of Control, Four Stages, Four Items, and Four tidbits music pieces. So is this a big coincidence? Does the number four have to do with the number of people in the game? Does it really matter? Just a thinker.................

This update basically says that you can now assign whichever type of control you prefer to your name(s). That would be great if your controls could be saved to the Wii remote... But, for those who choose the GC controller, means they will still use the remote to show their choice. I am just waiting for the day that I check the site only to find that the first notice has been posted, a release date that is close... It will probably be either Nov or Dec... :-(
Wow, lol I never realized that about the number 4, just imagine when everything gets filled out at 4, besides characters, Sakurai puts an update out under "notices" that says the release date. :)

I

i8waffles612

So this means, we can change any button we want? Like on the gamecube controller, you can make the "A" button fo special attacks and the "B" button for normal attacks?

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
Another thing I thought of...

Sakurai put emphasis on the new format of entering your names, via how you do it on a cellphone.

Text messaging for the online capabilities? It is far better to enter text in that format, as opposed to a full keyboard display...

p.s. Sorry Doogina, I missed your post.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
I just had an idea. If this allows you to change which direction you press for an attack, it could allow you to choose which of your A and B attacks (ground) are jump cancellable. Imagine... Mario could set Fireball to UpB and then be able to stop himself in his dash with a Fireball. That could be extremely useful, but it might serve to create some imbalance where the developers did not intend. Anyone could use any attack they would like right out of their shield. Suppose Samus could set usmash to make her do her current dsmash. Ownage. Maybe they'll just take out Jump Cancelling.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
i don't think it'll be that complicated though. i think at the most it'll just be diffrent buttons for diffrent things, so the X button could serve as your A button, or something like that.

but cool update today. i didn't notice the personalized button configurations at first, but really i don't plan to change what does what

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
I would love to make Y do something beisides jumping, maybe special moves or short hopping. I can't wait to make Up on the control stick make you not jump. I never use L, so maybe I could assign L to do something. I wonder how detailed it can get. Do you think I could literally make L do Up B. Or will it be more like L = B? I mean think of all the possibllities, think of what will be banned!

Celsco

Smash Apprentice
I just think he means that you'll be able to set your controltype, wiimote(+nunchuck), classic control. camecubecontrol. not buttonconfiguration, that'd **** things up if you're asking me.

BDAOutlaw

Smash Apprentice
Heres My idea from last night practicing some new missle canceling techniques....

I found out I wasnt fast enough to get my finger from the X or Y button to B so i could do triple missle so i had to run the joy stick.....buttt if i could switch B to A i can spam them WAY MORE....be perfect when i'm fighting an opponent who really needs them missles to get them off the stage.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
It's probably more for the people who want to use just the wiimote or wiimote with nunchuk so they can decide what button does what. It's probably just like in Street Fighter when you can remap the buttons, you probably can't change any directions or anything, just the regular buttons. I don't think I'd change anything on the gamecube controller and probably not the classic, either.

Solid_Sneak

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if i really like this update.

Four letter names again? Low number of characters for your name suggests limited online... Cell phone-like inputs? Seems more like a hinderance. Sakurai even said himself there is also a chance we won't even be able to save settings to our remote. Hopefully he's kidding?

On the flip side, consider this:

What if at tournaments, all the Wiis could establish a WiFi LAN connection. Then all the data on each Wii would be stored on all of them and ready to use, and you wouldn't have to re-input all the configurations for your name every time you change Wiis.

If settings COULD be stored on your remote, it would be extremely efficient. Even more so because not only can you just upload the settings on to a new Wii at tournaments, but you can do it when you go to a friends house or other far away places.

I don't know. This is the first update where I'm feeling very iffy about the game. At least when it comes to online.

Jumanji

Smash Cadet
I like

At first was very unimpressed with this update because I could care less about what a menu screen looks like (It could be 8-bit for all I care,) and confirmed tags was about as surprising as confirming Mario. When I finally started thinking about the ability to alter the control configurations I realized how much I would like that. Maybe it is just me but I find that my biggest problem in the technical aspect of smash is my thumb is covering 3 buttons + C-stick. No a huge problem, but if you are trying to JC a shine in a retreating Bair it means your thumb has to go B-> X-> C-stick and it would be great if it didn't. An ideal button layout would eliminate this, probably by moving jump the R (who uses that button anyways.)
On a side note...I would not be surprised if they got rid of the C-stick function because it is redundant. I utilize it as much as the next guy (so do not try to convince me it is important) but when looking atf the Wii-mote control option I simply do not see how they could incorporate it. I could not see them giving one control option a innate advantage over another one. That being said if you have a Wii-mote and no Nunchuk.... you are a sad sad person.
BTW: As mentioned by someone else, online play I am sure will be a ton of fun, but I can't help but think that it will be virtually impossible to make it completely with out lag. I would expect serious tournies would not be centered around online play in the interest of fairness. Not every person who is good at smash has a fat pipe to play through and I cannot see competitive smashers limiting their competition to those that do. That being said I still think good people will play online but I can't believe they will treat it as anything other than friendlies.

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
I agree with jumanji here on the personalized buttons. I shine dash, but it takes all of my effort, and I cant uaually pull it off very well in a real match. If i could make the button set up so that my thumb doesnt have to move as far (i guess i just dont have quick enough hands) then this could greatly increase my ability to do these moves. It just better not mess up online play, im so freakin pysched about being able to play good competition online, its obsurd. Is it November yet ;) ?

Stryks

Smash Hero
True, I can maybe setup the buttons in a way I can combo better, this is great! Im bettin the B moves wont change button, but maybe jumping, c-stick, and a buttons can be changed, obcourse it will take a while until I find my perfect combination, but boy will it be worth it!...

I give this update an 8/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom