• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

***What's going on with Smashbros.com?***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Erm.... I dunno.... I assumed that what MK and Pit did in the 2nd trailer was just their backwards roll. And even if it isn't, mario doesn't seem to be doing the same kind of motion..
He kind reminds me of DK charging up his Punch...
mabye Mario is taking a swing at nothing?
Its just a thought?
I doubt it though.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
LOL Phoenix! :laugh: But yeah,if you look closely at Mario,it sorta looks like hes doing some sorta backdash? Possibly B,B after a dash?You know,to avoid taking away dash dancing.Its too early to tell but,that **** does look like an new tech to me.

And judging by them animation dust heading towards the back of Mario,it looks like he did something that was very fast but changed his mind for the self explanitory reason.

Knightcrawler

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm...

First of all, I don't see any reason why only the CPU would be able to "look" at other characters, items, or events. Nothing about the direction of a character's head influences gameplay significantly. Therefore I propose it's just something that every character - player or CPU - will divert their attention to specific things for a more interesting/dynamic/interactive-looking appearance, just like Link does in The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

Second, I'm going out on a limb making this guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if what Mario is doing is actually a new kind of jump. Sakurai's stated he wants to improve the air game. What if you could do a "smash jump." That's not to say it's an attack, but more like a boost in any direction. You basically smash the analogue stick in any direction and instead of hitting the A or B button to get a move, you hit the jump button to "boost" in that direction. Like a dash, but faster, possibly omnidirectional, gains a set amount of distance, uses a jump, and has a small delay/lag/cooldown period afterward. Right now, when people jump it matters little what direction they hold or push the analogue stick in, so all jumps can be seen as from the neutral position. Of course holding a direction during the jump will influence its direction, but smashing won't do anything special. Imagine using one of these jumps to directly intercept someone in the air instead of jumping and leisurely making your way to them.

I know that proposal has little evidence, but it seems like something Sakurai would do, and a natural progression of the game's controls.

CasMat

Smash Cadet
No offense, but that sounds like wishful thinking for your gameplay mechanic idea. I really doubt Mario's doing a "Smash Jump".....

Also, is Kirby doing an air dodge? It's not a normal jump I don't think, and if it isn't an air dodge either, maybe Mario's animation is being done for the same reason Kirby's is.....

EDIT: Ignore that last part, I didn't realize kirby was standing on a platform because for some reason I saw it as part of the background :/....

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
It looks like Mario is running backwards...if brawl introduced walking/running backwards, wouldn't that mean dash dancing is gone? =O
Not exactly man,cuz now this thing is got me thinking.Have any of you guys played the SNES beat em up Final Fight 3? Remember that system in it where you can dash,then with a simple b,b motion during the dash,you could retreat from your attackers while facing foward? That could easily be implemented in smash thanks to the 2D controls scheme.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
So you folks are implying that we can retreat now along with dashing? ......huh.

do you spose pikachu fallin to his doom in the fetal position indicates that ALL final smashes will have some sort of drawback or downtime afterwards?
Every powerful technique has a draw back. I'm positive all final smashes do too.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
My guess would be was that Mario, and the others were running towards the final smash. Pikachu grabbed it. Mario was still running, and he suddenly stopped.

Or he could have stolen luigi's taunt... :p

Aki-toriko

Smash Apprentice
Only Smashboards could turn an update about Pikachu's Final Smash into a debate about how Mario wavedashes.

chAvo

Smash Cadet
Also, is Kirby doing an air dodge? It's not a normal jump I don't think, and if it isn't an air dodge either, maybe Mario's animation is being done for the same reason Kirby's is.....
OK...kirby's doing neither, he's just standing on the ledge of the platform and has the "almost falling" animation that all chars have when they stand on a ledge.

CasMat

Smash Cadet
OK...kirby's doing neither, he's just standing on the ledge of the platform and has the "almost falling" animation that all chars have when they stand on a ledge.
Oh wow I feel stupid..........

Those platforms just blend into the background and I thought he was in mid-air....

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
The one thing I'm wandering about Pikachu's final smash is how long it will last. The other smashes seemed incredably fast, but short. It does say it flies fast, but if it's a very short lasting move like the others, the change to get it "cancelled" mid-air is rather large. Combining that with the remarks on Mario his final smash (use it on a far side of the stage, from a slightly elevated position), I'ld say that the final smashes require quite some practice. Which is good imo. Also, if it's a final smash week, I'm really only wanting to know the one from Samus, as it might reveal the answer to the whole Zero issue.

And about Mario, could it just be that Sakurai thought it was lame to have a dash that goes away from your opponent in the same way as towards him? Maybe it's just that when you press L/R and backwards, you get this sorta movement?

Fawriel

Smash Master
Hmmm...

First of all, I don't see any reason why only the CPU would be able to "look" at other characters, items, or events. Nothing about the direction of a character's head influences gameplay significantly. Therefore I propose it's just something that every character - player or CPU - will divert their attention to specific things for a more interesting/dynamic/interactive-looking appearance, just like Link does in The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

Second, I'm going out on a limb making this guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if what Mario is doing is actually a new kind of jump. Sakurai's stated he wants to improve the air game. What if you could do a "smash jump." That's not to say it's an attack, but more like a boost in any direction. You basically smash the analogue stick in any direction and instead of hitting the A or B button to get a move, you hit the jump button to "boost" in that direction. Like a dash, but faster, possibly omnidirectional, gains a set amount of distance, uses a jump, and has a small delay/lag/cooldown period afterward. Right now, when people jump it matters little what direction they hold or push the analogue stick in, so all jumps can be seen as from the neutral position. Of course holding a direction during the jump will influence its direction, but smashing won't do anything special. Imagine using one of these jumps to directly intercept someone in the air instead of jumping and leisurely making your way to them.

I know that proposal has little evidence, but it seems like something Sakurai would do, and a natural progression of the game's controls.
This post deserves more love. I really like the idea.
Although the skidding theory makes a lot of sense, I guess.

Anyway.

PIKA FTW
Brzzzzrzrrzzrrzrzzzzz!

It's a frikkin aerial high-speed body-encompassing HAMMER!!

EDIT: By the way, Solid_Sneak, you wanted proof of inaccurate translations?
Check out this update. "Electric Ball"? What's that supposed to be?
But, to get Volt Tackle in the game, you need to breed a Pikachu holding a "Light Ball".
You get the idea. :p
Not the most fatal mistake, but definitely proof of imperfection.

Sundown

Smash Journeyman
I dont believe Mario is skidding to a stop, i think its either a backdash as some of u guys have said, or maybe its a "perfected wavedash" (what i mean by this is that maybe Sakurai decided to leave wavedashing in but instead of having it happen thanks to a traction/speed glitch, he actually created a certain button combination or button presses for it to happen [maybe its still the exact same button combination] and he also created different animations for different characters) So maybe wavedashing wont be a glitch in this game, and charactes will have different animations when u do it.

Although i know this is wishful thinking, im kinda positive Mario isnt skidding, could be something else though.

puff..jigglypuff

Smash Apprentice
my oppinion on how long pikas super smash will last.

you all know what pika UP+B sttack is in melee. well i think his super smash is the exact same as that. two fast attacks with it at that same speed meening if you can control that attack in melee for attacking purpose then you will do well with this

Fawriel

Smash Master
The attack will NOT last as long as the Quick Attack. No way. My guess is more along the lines of 3-5 seconds.

Also, I checked the Pulseman article on Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulseman
Apparently, the theory of it being the same attack is very viable. Check out who designed the characters.

NukeA6

Smash Master
The one thing I'm wandering about Pikachu's final smash is how long it will last. The other smashes seemed incredably fast, but short. It does say it flies fast, but if it's a very short lasting move like the others, the change to get it "cancelled" mid-air is rather large. ?
If it lasted long, it would be too cheap. It has to be a few seconds.

Dacvak

Smash Ace
Also, I checked the Pulseman article on Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulseman
Apparently, the theory of it being the same attack is very viable. Check out who designed the characters.
Wow, nice find. Smash conspiracies all over the place!!!

~Dac

[Edit]

Actually, now that I think about it, this definitely CONFIRMS Pulseman as a Pikachu clone. God, I can't believe I didn't see it before!

Pulseman for Brawl.

~Dac^2

Pichu_815

Smash Apprentice
Volt tackle. Never used it myself, but I hear it's a good attack. Anyway, my guess is it'll only last for about five seconds. On a different topic, if this really IS Final Smash week, that pretty much makes tomorrow Kirby, Thursday Fox, and Friday Samus into Zamus info time (because I'm holding out that that's the secret transformation technique).

Dacvak

Smash Ace
Nonsense, sakurai is totally unpredictable. Just wait, you'll see
QTF.

This has been the case this whole time. Only a few of the updates were remotely predictable, otherwise it was just guesswork by others.

~Dac

NukeA6

Smash Master
Volt tackle. Never used it myself, but I hear it's a good attack. Anyway, my guess is it'll only last for about five seconds. On a different topic, if this really IS Final Smash week, that pretty much makes tomorrow Kirby, Thursday Fox, and Friday Samus into Zamus info time (because I'm holding out that that's the secret transformation technique).
Don't bet on it. We just may get another character profile, another Smash 101 section, a stage, item, or a piece of music.

I just hope they explain the Zamus transformation before things get any worse.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
I knew it. It's the strongest attack that Pikachu can learn so what else could it be than his Final Smash. It actually looks nice, but it's dissapointing that you can't see Pikachu in the ball of light. I mean, in the games and in the TV serie, he just gets all kinds of yellow flashes aroun him, then tackles somebody.

Something else I wonder now. Pikachu is able to hurt multiple people and so is Mario. Link hits just one person. That probally means that (just like the trailer showed us) Link gets a special cinematic for his attack while Pikachu and Mario don't get it (because people must avoid it). So that means that Link's Triforce Slash really is unavoidable?

Fawriel

Smash Master
It's quite possible this does turn out to be Final Smash week. About 50/50, I'd say. I mean, so far, no complete pattern shone through, but no same type of update has occurred on two consecutive days, I believe. And there do seem to be small patterns like the proximity of stages and music. So since the rule of "never the same update after another except on the same day" was broken... it might have a reason.

Just a guess, but hey.

I

i8waffles612

When he says something terrible will happen, does that mean pika cant recover and falls off the stage??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom