• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Things are you Surprisingly Happy to See in Ultimate?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I've been focused on just riding the hype train of Ultimate to launch recently after we got our final look during the November Direct and it's occurred to me just how many little things I didn't realize were cool for me to see and I didn't expect/know I'd actually love, like:

-Pichu returning and actually being decent. I suppose I just fell in love with how adorable he looks again
-Young Link coming back despite us already having two versions of Link prior
-Rainbow Cruise returning as a stage, never loved it in Melee but I'm particularly fond of it in HD
-Ike having both his Brawl and Smash 4 forms which is a level of detail I just never would have considered
-Ken actually looks like an interesting take on Ryu and the most developed Echo
-The stylized version of the World of Light map. No idea how it plays, but I do love the little overworld from what we've seen.
-Yarn Yoshi alt, which I just kind of didn't expect (Though RIP Black Yoshi)
-Fatal Frame assist trophy, never expected anything Fatal Frame in the game and I love the effect
-Sudden Death changed to the screen zooming in. Such a good and more fair way to deal with it, though I'll miss the bombs for fun in the random sense.
-A Link Between Worlds Zelda actually looks pretty cool despite how much I had hoped for a BOTW verison
-Incineroar was at least given some unique mechanics, and the ring move in particular endears him to me more than I thought would be possible beforehand.
-Piranha Plant in general I'm sure will be one for most people it seems.

All of that and so much more. What were you surprised by in Ultimate that you didn't know you'd want, maybe even thought you'd actively dislike, or are just surprised by in Ultimate?

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'm still so, SO happy to have Pokémon Trainer back, because even though I didn't like using them in Brawl, I always like having a character that truly captured the essence of playing Pokémon with the character switching, 3 starters, and the evolution theme. And unlike Brawl I'll finally have fun using them because type effectiveness and stamina is gone! I'm honestly more hyped to play them again than any of Ultimate's newcomers.

I also never expected but LOVE the hazard toggle. If you look at the stage discussion thread in the pre-release build forum, you'll find that this increases the amount of legal stages by a ludicrous amount--at least TWENTY are tourney legal! I'm definitely gonna watch competitive Smash Ultimate solely for the increased stage count.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I loved the art direction. Never was a big fan of Smash For's art direction.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Having everyone back especially my most wanted Wolf, there's even a couple of pictures of the entire cast together which are very well made.

The animations on the characters are so many more entertaining than the previous games.

8 player on each stage, my jaw dropped when I saw this option.

Being a big fan of Halloween I'm glad Castlevania got represented with Simon, Richter and Dracula's Castle.

A huge supply of music tracks which are a bit more customizable this time depending upon the series the stage comes from.

With the addition of Isabelle, she's the perfect candidate to join in with the four Fem Villagers, Pink Diddy, Bow Jigglypuff and Wendy for the battle of the eight dolls of cuteness and chaos.

My favorite shoto clone Ken Masters who's really well designed even as an echo(almost nearly a semi clone) with a great final smash!

All the stages having a great visual look to them, also the ability to turn off hazards.

The flashy gameplay reminds me of the MvC games.

There's just so much I love about this game I wasn't expecting, it certainly will keep me entertained for years to come.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
I lost it when I first saw Snake, Pichu, Young Link, and the rest of the cut characters appear in the very first trailer. Characters that I had initially thought were doomed to remain in past Smash games for good finally reappeared in their full glory, and on the Switch of all consoles. It was a dream that I wished for since I was a kid, and I still can’t believe it’s a reality.

I’m also happy for Ken’s inclusion in the game as well. It was already amazing for me to see Ryu show up in Smash 4, and another SF representative in the “ultimate” Smash game is simply amazing to look at. I’m thinking of buying the game earlier than usual just for the sake of this character.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Everyone is here, ridley & k rool, simon looking really fun to play as, all of the returning stages, smash down, squad smash, stage morph, also are we able to save option sets now too because i would be really happy about that. Also almost forgot piranha plant.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Zelda finally not going into free fall with side b. Also, her new design is nice, and unexpected. And the menu ui for Smash is so beautiful and minimal. So glad they didn't make it all messy like Smash 4.

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
Faster gameplay in general but more importantly, faster launches. Not only does this speed up the tempo of the match but it also decreases the amount of time control is taken away from the player when launched. This is a huge improvement that a lot gloss over which is a shame because of how much more entertaining matches will be to play and especially watch. The dramatic moments (The parts where the camera zooms in and the game slows down) is another addition that will make matches more entertaining to watch even if you're casual.

Even the menu screen looks amazing in this game. It's so much easier on the eyes and more intuitive than 4's. Almost everything about this game is just so aesthetically pleasing. The colors, the vigorous character expressions, the more animated smoke that follows every launch. I felt 4 was lacking personality but they remedied that issue with interest here.

Going into newcomers, I'm happy with every single one of them. I was especially happy with Simon/Richter and Ken (The latter being one of my favorite FG characters and my go to for every SF except 3S) and the details that went into all of them. Ken even has his command inputs (I.e. Inazuma Kick). In terms of who I'm most excited to play however, is Inkling.The ink mechanic, the weapon types almost all being represented, the different skins, and their speed coupled with their fluidity makes me yearn to play this game even more than I already do.

Also I shrieked in happiness when I saw Ice Climbers in the E3 direct.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
King K. Rool being a high-tier heavyweight with great mobility and an amazing kit for a survival-focused playstyle. He has a counterattack, super armor, a couple of projectiles, an amazing recovery move... I am going to be playing as him a lot. I've been wanting him in Smash since Brawl purely for the sake of his fanbase, but his implementation in Ultimate is so amazingly awesome that I don't even particularly care that all of my own most wanted newcomers, particularly Bomberman and Krystal, got the shaft; I'll be too busy throwing K. Rool's weight around.

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
Everyone returning from all iterations of smash is great
New more aggressive mechanics to make game play look more engaging is fantastic
The Options, The Stages, The Music {3, The Stages, The Lobby styled online, The Stages, did I mention the Stages? HD Fountain of Dreams {3{3
The New Characters {3 K.Rool and Ridley and Simon Oh my!{3{3{3
DLC in the future and the fact that this will be the LAST smash game for at the very least a decade or more. Which means future support out the ying yang..... balance patches will be intriguing. The top online players better be grand so developers are paying attention to the right things...

...Did I mention the Stages?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Fatal Frame getting some sort of representation in the Assist Trophy was a big plus. Not played the games but always wanted to and seeing the assist got me weirdly excited. Maybe just because it's a largely ignored franchise.

Abra, my favourite Pokémon bar none becoming a pokeball Pokémon was a dream come true. He even plays the way I imagined!

So many speculation rules were broken. It's shaken up a lot of the old boring arguments.

The sheer effort that went into Castlevania's stage and trailer. That blew me away even though I didn't have much connection to the series.

Chrom's inclusion. It's always nice to watch an underdog get a chance to shine.

Isabelle proving that it wasn't just going to cater to teenage to early 20 year old boys and anyone can have a moveset. Smash is for everyone after all.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I think Ultimate has the best newcomers since Brawl.

I'm really happy the new characters arn't just a bunch of same-y anime people (sometimes with sword), but radically distinct characters.
Additionally, noones main got cut and old mains came back! That's phenomenal!

Hazard toggle with make a lot of stages I really like visually REALLY fun (Warioware, Unova League, Magicant, Find Mii). Battlefield forms will also make for some really neat backdrops like Hanenbow, Fourside or New Pork.

Spirits mode looks really fun, and I'm looking forward to how the devs make us fight characters not in the game. Seeing someone demonstrate creativity with very limited resources can be very interesting!
I'm also interested in how I'll be able to customize characters using spirits!

Boss battles are back! I'm really glad they even brought back original bosses from Brawl!
The way they're incorporated into Classic mode seems nice.

Anyway, 18 days still seem too long.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
- Piranha Plant
- Chrom
- Pichu
- Duck Hunt Duo
- ROB
- Simon
- Richter
- Snake
- Ken
- Meta Ridley
- Path of Radiance Ike
- Rainbow Cruise
- Mario Bros
- Spirit Train
- Brinstar Depths
- Frigate Orpheon
- Yoshi's Story
- Fountain of Dreams
- Venom
- Pokémon Stadium
- Saffron City
- Fourside
- Find Mii
- Hanenbow
- Hazard Toggle
- Stage Morph
- Free Choice of Music
- Being able to Buy Music
- Quicker Final Smashes
- Spirits Mode

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I appreciate all the positive vibes flowing through the thread, though I'm not quite sure everyone got what I was going for with it haha.

I was going for more of the: What didn't you expect to like and did / never knew you actually wanted til you saw it in Ultimate?

That said, feel free to post whatever you like, it's far enough out from the November Direct to just focus on your hype for the game whatever you may have believed of that Direct.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Cel shading
Castlevania
Incineroar
P L A N T
Dark Samus
New theme song, which I like better than Brawl's
Ken

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I'm just happy I get to play as Robin again—he's my favorite videogame character of all time, and him getting into Smash 4 was enough to make my entire year. I aspire to be as great of a man as he is one day.

chaostails7

Smash Cadet
Pokemon Trainer, Hazard Toggle, and every mechanics change they made. I didn't know I wanted any of them, but I really, really am looking forwards to them all now.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Avoiding mentioning playable characters because "duh" I'm really happy to see Galleom return. I had an issue with Subpsace Emmissary being mostly original characters and lcoations but I still think Smash Bros deserves to have a handful of original content. Primids and the bosses were pretty great, and Galleom was a stand out for me, I'm just happy to see that Smash itself gets some representation in this game outside of just the usual Master Hand.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
  • :ultdaisy: and :ultdarksamus:. I didn't care much for their inclusions at first, but in hindsight it was a brilliant decision on both accounts (although I hope Dark Samus doesn't end up giving us another Roy situation).
  • Fatal Frame Assist Trophy
  • Castlevania's soundtrack selection not being utter ****ing trash like Final Fantasy's
  • Hazard Toggle
  • Stage Morph
  • Final Smash Meter
  • Voice Acting Toggle
  • :ultkrool:'s reveal trailer
  • P L A N T
  • For Ultimate's singleplayer to actually be Super Smash Bros: Infinity War as I had been joking about prior to its announcement
  • Watching the Internet weep Last-Jedi levels of pure salt over :ultpiranha: (and also :ultisabelle: to a lesser extent)

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
-ridley and k rool
- majority of stages are back
- wolf

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Snake and Wolf coming back, most of all the former. I wondered how the naysayers' reaction was when Snake was shown.

Smithn

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4332 5240 6154
-The hazard toggle. Now I can play stages like Magicant without the sometimes distracting hazards.
-All past characters coming back, especially Snake.
-Faster movement, less landing lag on moves in general.
-Dorf having his OoT look
-Most stages returning, and most (or all?) of the cut music from Brawl seemingly coming back.
-Music being tied to series instead of stages

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
The fact that different characters face different bosses in Classic Mode is actually something I've wanted to see since the very first game, albeit not as a complete replacement for Master Hand; I was hoping for more of a "true final boss" situation where Master Hand is normally the final boss, but he's followed by a character-specific secret boss if the player performed well enough or met some sort of special criteria during the playthrough.

Last edited:

AIM0001

Smash Lord
1. Music from games like Sonic Mania, Donkey Kong Country 2, Mega Man 9, and even Mega Man X. Like WOW my dudes! Also pretty much all the Castlevania selections are perfect song choices for Smash!

2. Stage Hazard Toggle

3. Squad Strike

4. Stage Morph = o

5. Tourney Mode return

6. Omega and Battlefield versions of each stage.

7. Tons of mechanic changes. (Too much to list.)

8. Revamped Classic mode

9. Shovel Knight and Zero Assist Trophy

10. No newcomers outside of echoes were Sword wielders.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
- King K. Rool looking to be actually viable and top teir. Hoping to see someone win a tournament with the ol' croc!
- A SNAKEY CHANTEY REMIX!!!
- More DKC music that isn't just 100 variations on Jungle Hijinx
- Wolf's updated animations and voice
- Meta Ridley costume
- Krystal making it into the game at any capacity (outside of a collectible)
- All the Melee and 3DS stages in HD
- All the classic DKC spirits like Swanky Kong, Ellie the Elephant, Rambi, Rattly, Expresso, Lanky Kong, Squawks, Winky, etc.
- Squad Strike
- Final Smash Meter
- Studiopolis, Steam Gardens, Break Free, and some others of my favorite recent VGM's making it in the game
- Yoshi's new final smash (best final smash in the game)

God I could go on. Never been THIS hyped for a game since Tropical Freeze was announced during the lame Wii U days in 2013.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
First, I like the updated designs on past stages, especially Melee's. The updated stages and characters really makes me feel nostalgic to how I saw Melee. It's like looking at Melee at the first time and how good everything looked back then. Peach's Castle, Kongo Jungle, Fountain of Dreams just makes me feel like a kid again when I see them now.

Now there are 2 small things that I still hear no one really talk about but I think they should be noticed. That being the round clear in classic and changing alts in WoL.

I never thought how much I've liked the stage/round clear in smash until now and how smash 4 in my opinion, ruined it once I started to think about it when I saw Ultimate's classic mode. There's something about zooming into your character with a nice list of your score and other details while a small, but impactful jingle plays letting you know that you're successful. Smash 4's when I think about it now had to load the results and load out to the board which feels disjointed and the theme is just another remix of the main theme, while others were unique and gave you a jingle that makes you feel a rush and ready to tackle the next stage (Melee and 64 comes to mind as being the best). Really a small but welcome return in Ultimate in my opinion.

I've said this before but I feel like it's interesting enough to share that you can change alts in the adventure mode. I didn't expect it based on subspace not doing this, but once I saw how choosing your fighter is just the same character select screen and the gameplay footage shows Mario in his alts made me glad and even more hyped to play this mode out.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi's new Final Smash. He's one of the bottom three characters to me, but that Final Smash is so good.

Top Bottom