• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What OS do you run?

HoN3Y64

Smash Apprentice
W7 32bit. Would go back to Linux (used Arch, tried Gentoo (would probably go back to it) etc) but I play CS:S now and then so =( And last time I tried, it didn't run so well on WINE

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
Well, for super security, you'd want some 10,000 dollar UNIX, or you can have pretty darn secure Linux for free. Trust me, anti-virus software is a thing of the past!

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Mostly Ubuntu 9.10, but I use a little Windows 7 too. It's been my favorite windows experience by far. Still, I like Ubuntu a little more.

Fantasia

BRoomer
BRoomer
Switch FC
SW-3476-8294-6601
My main OS is Mac OS X for day to day activities (which in reality, happens more often than not). I love it because of its Unix-like backend, and its up front usability. I still have some gripes about it, but every time I've tried to fully switch to Linux, I come crawling back to OS X.

For that reason, I have Arch Linux installed on a second partition. What I really like about Arch is that it's similar to Gentoo in that it's very customizable and lightweight, but comes with a very nice, binary-based, package manager. Installation is also pretty pain-free, but still gives you many options for customization. I think it's a very well organized distro.

And for whenever I need to run windows or install absurd operating systems, I have VirtualBox install on the OS X partition. I use it to play around with Ubuntu on occasion, and I've installed Open Solaris just to see what the fuss was all about. I'd really like to see how Solaris runs on a real SPARC machine though. I'm willing to bet that it runs like a beast.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
My desktop is Ubuntu 9.04/Windows Vista. I need to buy a new sound card so I can go to 9.10 (LONG story). I plan to switch to 10.04 (Lucid Lynx), so I'm on a time line.

My laptops is OSX. I like it for the sake of day-to-day use, but I rather Linux so much more.

hubble

Smash Ace
Cool to see other people running Arch.

I've been happily using it for 6 or so months now.

**** good distro and probably one of the top linux communities out there.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Well, for super security, you'd want some 10,000 dollar UNIX, or you can have pretty darn secure Linux for free. Trust me, anti-virus software is a thing of the past!
Why would virus developers target 1% of the OS market. It's quite a foolish thing to say that antivirus programs are a thing of a past.

I run Windows 7 64bit

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Why would virus developers target 1% of the OS market. It's quite a foolish thing to say that antivirus programs are a thing of a past.

I run Windows 7 64bit
He's saying that Linux doesn't need Antivirus... Antivirus is definitely needed for other OS's.

Besides, ports are the main reason for Linux being safe, I believe.

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
Oh dear. Let me explain.

Any OSes based on UNIX are generally more secure than Windows. Why? UNIX has an amazing file permissions system. So, unless you run malware as root, which has power to do anything root wants, the malware can only affect your home directory. The important system files will still be safe so while, yes, you may lose data, the system will still be strong. You could just make another user, transfer any files over to the new home directory, and change the permissions so that the new user can run them.

See, the basis of UNIX file permissions is that you can assign certain users to be able to read, write, and execute. The virus would still be running as the old user. So disable the old users permissions, and the virus is dead.

So yes, Linux and Mac OSX are more secure than Windows. Even it everyone used an UNIX based system, there still wouldn't be near the amount of malware.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
A twinge always runs up my spine when I see someone refer to a distro like Ubuntu as "Unix".

The operating system is GNU/Linux. GNU stands for "GNU's Not Unix!". And the Linux kernel is totally different from Unix, too.

It's like when I see someone call WINE a "Windows Emulator". The name WINE stands for: "WINE Is Not an Emulator". I mean, come on!

Frames

DI
wine is a beverage made from fermented grape juice.....lol

seriously tho wine isnt an emulator because it doesn't emulate any cpu processes, instead it uses a compatibility layer, with different versions of dlls and processes to substitute for the windows nt kernel...at least i think so lol

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
I'm so sorry. I meant Unix-Like.

Really though, Ubuntu uses GNU stuff. The Real GNU will likely take another twenty years to come out.

Citii

Smash Rookie
Mac OS X with bootcamp. (Windows XP)
^same as this

Unfortunately, Windows XP 32-bit does not recognize more than 2.72 Gb of RAM and I currently have 4GB on my laptop. Recently I have been looking into upgrading my Windows side to Windows 7, however, I am still researching the performance of the OS for gaming.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm so sorry. I meant Unix-Like.

Really though, Ubuntu uses GNU stuff. The Real GNU will likely take another twenty years to come out.
The real GNU? What are you talking about. GNU is a set of utilities that when combined with the Linux kernel form the GNU/Linux Operating system. People have a tendency to only say "Linux" though, and not "GNU/Linux". Wich is unfortunate.

Ubuntu is a particular "distribution" of this operating system. Distros like Ubuntu, Debian, RedHat, etc... all are repackages and reconfigurations of the same underlying OS: GNU/Linux. They may greatly affect how "the typical user" sees the OS, by including different GUI's and different package management systems, but everything under the hood is the same.

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
The real GNU? What are you talking about.
gnu.org said:
The GNU Project was launched in 1984 to develop a complete Unix-like operating system which is free software: the GNU operating system.

Unix-like operating systems are built from a collection of libraries, applications and developer tools, plus a kernel to allocate resources and talk to the hardware — Hurd, GNU's kernel is actively developed, but is still some way from being ready for daily use, so GNU is often used with the kernel Linux.
Burn! Taken straight from gnu.org.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I just installed LinuxMint. It's a pretty new-user friendly distro. I'm not a fan of the software manager, but other than that, it's pretty nice.

Thundercloud

Smash Journeyman
Dual booting Windows 7 64-bit Professional and Ubuntu 9.10.

Still relatively newbish to Linux, and having trouble installing drivers for my video card. But as I understand it, this is a challenge I must meet to be a Linux user.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dual booting Windows 7 64-bit Professional and Ubuntu 9.10.

Still relatively newbish to Linux, and having trouble installing drivers for my video card. But as I understand it, this is a challenge I must meet to be a Linux user.
yeah that's basicaly a rite of passage for all new linux users. welcome to the club.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I ordered a small netbook with Ubuntu.

>.> I'm excited because I've never used anything except windows xp (I know, scrub!).

Anything I should look into trying out?

D

Deleted member

I currently use Windows XP Home Edition and is currently satisfied with it. I have no plans to upgrade until I can afford one AND when Microsoft stop supporting Windows XP completely in 2014.

Top Bottom