• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What OS do you run?

jckkeith

Smash Rookie
I am using Linux for six months.
5 Advantages of using Linux over Windows
1) Cost – The most obvious advantage of using Linux is the fact that it is free to obtain, while Microsoft products are available for a hefty and sometimes recurring fee. Microsoft licenses typically are only allowed to be installed on a single computer, whereas a Linux distribution can be installed on any number of computers, without paying a single dime.
2) Security – In line with the costs, the security aspect of Linux is much stronger than that of Windows. Why should you have to spend extra money for virus protection software? The Linux operating system has been around since the early nineties and has managed to stay secure in the realm of widespread viruses, spy-ware and hardware for all these years. Sure, the argument of the Linux desktop not being as widely used is a factor as to why there are no viruses. My rebuttable is that the Linux operating system is open source and if there were a widespread Linux virus released today, there would be hundreds of patches released tomorrow, either by ordinary people that use the operating system or by the distribution maintainers. We wouldn’t need to wait for a patch from a single company like we do with Windows.
3) Choice (Freedom) – The power of choice is a great Linux advantage. With Linux, you have the power to control just about every aspect of the operating system. Two major features you have control of are your desktops look and feel by way of numerous Window Managers, and the kernel. In Windows, your either stuck using the boring default desktop theme, or risking corruption or failure by installing a third-party shell.
4) Software - There are so many software choices when it comes to doing any specific task. You could search for a text editor on Freshmeat and yield hundreds, if not thousands of results. My article on 5 Linux text editors you should know about explains how there are so many options just for editing text on the command-line due to the open source nature of Linux. Regular users and programmers contribute applications all the time. Sometimes its a simple modification or feature enhancement of a already existing piece of software, sometimes its a brand new application. In addition, software on Linux tends to be packed with more features and greater usability than software on Windows. Best of all, the vast majority of Linux software is free and open source. Not only are you getting the software for no charge, but you have the option to modify the source code and add more features if you understand the programming language. What more could you ask for?
5) Hardware - Linux is perfect for those old computers with barely any processing power or memory you have sitting in your garage or basement collecting dust. Install Linux and use it as a firewall, a file server, or a backup server. There are endless possibilities. Old 386 or 486 computers with barely any RAM run Linux without any issue. Good luck running Windows on these machines and actually finding a use for them.

HentaiKing4Everr

Smash Cadet
I am using Linux for six months.
5 Advantages of using Linux over Windows
---------------------------------------------
1) Cost – The most obvious advantage of using Linux is the fact that it is free to obtain, while Microsoft products are available for a hefty and sometimes recurring fee. Microsoft licenses typically are only allowed to be installed on a single computer, whereas a Linux distribution can be installed on any number of computers, without paying a single dime.

2) Security – In line with the costs, the security aspect of Linux is much stronger than that of Windows. Why should you have to spend extra money for virus protection software? The Linux operating system has been around since the early nineties and has managed to stay secure in the realm of widespread viruses, spy-ware and hardware for all these years. Sure, the argument of the Linux desktop not being as widely used is a factor as to why there are no viruses. My rebuttable is that the Linux operating system is open source and if there were a widespread Linux virus released today, there would be hundreds of patches released tomorrow, either by ordinary people that use the operating system or by the distribution maintainers. We wouldn’t need to wait for a patch from a single company like we do with Windows.

3) Choice (Freedom) – The power of choice is a great Linux advantage. With Linux, you have the power to control just about every aspect of the operating system. Two major features you have control of are your desktops look and feel by way of numerous Window Managers, and the kernel. In Windows, your either stuck using the boring default desktop theme, or risking corruption or failure by installing a third-party shell.

4) Software - There are so many software choices when it comes to doing any specific task. You could search for a text editor on Freshmeat and yield hundreds, if not thousands of results. My article on 5 Linux text editors you should know about explains how there are so many options just for editing text on the command-line due to the open source nature of Linux. Regular users and programmers contribute applications all the time. Sometimes its a simple modification or feature enhancement of a already existing piece of software, sometimes its a brand new application. In addition, software on Linux tends to be packed with more features and greater usability than software on Windows. Best of all, the vast majority of Linux software is free and open source. Not only are you getting the software for no charge, but you have the option to modify the source code and add more features if you understand the programming language. What more could you ask for?

5) Hardware - Linux is perfect for those old computers with barely any processing power or memory you have sitting in your garage or basement collecting dust. Install Linux and use it as a firewall, a file server, or a backup server. There are endless possibilities. Old 386 or 486 computers with barely any RAM run Linux without any issue. Good luck running Windows on these machines and actually finding a use for them.

Fix'd. Made it easier to read =P

Superstar

Smash Champion
I'm a gamer, and rebooting is an annoying lengthy process for someone as impatient as me. So I have a dualboot of XP and Windows 7, the XP just contains my old files and I have shortcuts to it. I should probably be getting rid of it in favor of a files only partition.

I run Ubuntu using Virtualbox, which runs pretty well.

mariyanet

Smash Rookie
I have windows 7 with atom processor and that is really good and more faster then others according to me.

KaPe

Smash Rookie
I use Snow Leopard and I never want change back to Windows <3

Probably the best OS, imo D:

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
Well, I did a fresh instal of Ubuntu 10.04, tried to update my package list, and that failed. It said I had 3 broken packages with a fresh install!?!?

magnet20

Smash Rookie
I dual boot between Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows 7. I mainly use Ubuntu for creating and compiling code for my courses and connecting to my University's remote servers and such (It's probably going to be unused during the summer). The windows partition is for everything else.

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
Windows 7 home premium 64 bit.

I heard 10.04 had some funny changes with the close, minimize and resize buttons. They moved to the left or something.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Windows 7 home premium 64 bit.

I heard 10.04 had some funny changes with the close, minimize and resize buttons. They moved to the left or something.
It defaults to left now, but you can move them back to right, and put them in any order. I just put them back into where windows does.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've been digging deeper into Windows 7 a lot recently, and it's by far the best windows experience ever. I hate liking a Windows OS, but man, 7 is honestly GOOD.

Still, Ubuntu for life!

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Windows 7 64 bit, and Ubuntu 32 bit.

I'm probably gonna add in arch when I get a larger HD.

When I no longer need windows for a gaming platform, I'll be all linux (steam for Linux btw, SWEET!)

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
Windows 7 64 bit, and Ubuntu 32 bit.

I'm probably gonna add in arch when I get a larger HD.

When I no longer need windows for a gaming platform, I'll be all linux (steam for Linux btw, SWEET!)
I heard arch linux is pretty good. What makes it better than say ubuntu? Is it the KDE desktop?

Also steam for linux might be like steam for mac (big performance difference than PC)

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Linux Mint 9 came out this week. If you are considering trying out a Linux OS for the first time, Linux Mint should be your first choice. It'd designed to be ready for normal users right out of the box. It's one of my favorite distros right now. Check it out.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Linux Mint 9 came out this week. If you are considering trying out a Linux OS for the first time, Linux Mint should be your first choice. It'd designed to be ready for normal users right out of the box. It's one of my favorite distros right now. Check it out.
No expirience with Mint, but Ubuntu is easy enough for me, if I wanna change distros, probably gonna go for something that's much more flexible at the expense of ease of use.

I heard arch linux is pretty good. What makes it better than say ubuntu? Is it the KDE desktop?
Arch is much more lightweight and flexible, but at the expense of being much more difficult to use, definitely NOT for your average user.

Also steam for linux might be like steam for mac (big performance difference than PC)
I expect both to get optimized over time.

Top Bottom