• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What makes a move "safe"--a common sense guide plus

St. Viers

Smash Champion
This is my first time actually trying to contribute meaningfully to the community at large. A bit of background: I've been playing melee since 2001, and I'd played SSB for some time before that. I learned about smashboards in 04/05, and lurked heavily until I joined. Although I wouldn't call myself good at playing, I do better when it comes to knowledge of the general game mechanics/theory, as well as explaining things that *should* be common sense.

Anywho, I'm being boring

First Topic: Safety Against Someone Shielding

So pretty much brawl is a game where shield stun has been lowered, hitstun has been lowed, and the time it takes to drop out of your shield has been lowered. We've all known this since the game came out. However, as we've experimented with the game since, people have found attacks that autocancel, attacks with little lag on landing, and attacks that end before you touch the ground.

I know that most people think that all of these are equally "safe," meaning you can use them and not be punished. However, I'd like to challenge that misconception, and try and widen the scope of player's thinking.

First to discuss, why auto-canceled attacks differ from attacks that end before you land.

This may seems to be the same thing, meaning that they are equally safe. However, there is a key flaw in this assumption, and this is: taking into account the hitstun on your opponent. With a move that autocancels, you can hit the shield right as you are going to land, meaning their stun lasts until after you land, giving you a few frames of safety.

With a move that you have to time to end with no lag, this isn't the case. To hit them, AND have no landing lag, you generally have to hit them several frames BEFORE you land, meaning in some cases they have already recovered from the stun by the time you land.

Now, to look at other factors of being safe

It's a commonly held believe that the range of a move increases it's safety...but if that were the case, Ike would be top tier, so obviously there are other factors. Again, one such factor mentioned before was hitstun--if the move is over before the enemy can get out of stun, it's safe. But then why exactly is the range important? The answer is the distance between you and the opponent when the move finishes. In addition to them having to get out of stun, they then have to reach YOU. This is why some attacks are used to space, because they are quick enough, and have a long enough reach to fulfill these requirements.

Now I bolded the word quick for a reason here is why:

what makes a move quick?

A move being quick consists of a few elements: time to come out, the time the hitbox is out, and the lag after the move is used. In terms of what makes a move safe, the most important part is the cool down lag, not the start-up lag.

Conclusion
There is a bigger difference between autocanceling and ending before one lands, which can make a difference between an approach being successful and failing. Also, more factors than just range are involved in properly "spacing" an attack. For example, Ike could space his f-air perfectly, but still be punished, while he can be more sloppy with his n-air, and still attack before you can counter him.

Now for the tricky part
as I've begun to explain, there are sever factors that determine whether a move is safe. Now I'll try and piece it together, both in words, and using math. The reason for the latter will be explained later on.

So the basic idea behind a move being safe is that you can act before they can. This is on the basic level boiled down to two factors--the distance between you, and the time it takes to get to bridge the gap. However, as previously explained there are several things that cause these factors. The distance is affected not only by the range of your move, but also by how much your move pushes the opponent back (moves like charizard's rock smash, for example), and how far back you can DI while/after doing it, before you touch the ground.

The factors that affect the time are also plentiful:shield stun, time to release the shield, the time is takes to initiate a dash, walk, jump, and the speed at which the character can dash, walk, jump. In addition, the speed which they can then grab, or attack, at which range is also a factor--if they have a quick, long jab, they don't need to come all the way up to you to hit you, for example.

Tricky Part 2--The headache of calculations

Now this is what I need help with. Mathematically minded people (M2K?) try and follow, this should be simple.

As said previously, all the aspects boil down to two factors: distance and time. These are, in a video game represented by pixels (p) and frames (d). To be safe (S), the result of the f(S)> 0, where the f(S)= tR-tL,

where
tR=time to recover/punish, and
tL is the time of the lag.
Thus, if it took the opponent 30 frames to punish, and you were lagging for 20, your move was safe.

However, as previously mentioned, distance plays a role. But for the result to remain with one unit, somedthing needs to cancel out the distance unit. Luckily, anyone whose taken physics knows:

v=d/t, which can be rearranged to t=d/v.
A quick example:
a man is running 10 meters, at a pace of 5m/s. How long does it take?

v=5m/s
d=10m
t=?s

so t=10m/(5m/s). The m's cancell out, leaving you with 2 seconds=t.

So know we can make our formula:

f(S)=v/d-tL, where

v=the characters running/dashing/walking/jumping speed in d/f, and
d=pixels between the characters.

Now we have the basic idea down, but alas, more completity is in store. Namely, what makes up d? As mentioned earlier, the distance is comprised of range of the attack, and how far the enemy is knocked back, as well as how far you can drift back. So mathmatically, we get to assign variables to all of those. so now we have

d=(R+Kn+Di)p, which when plugged in makes the equasion:
f(S)=v/(R+Kn+Di)-tL

If you are with me so far, the next step should be a piece of cake. In addition to the lag that the move's user has, we need to account for the lag that the opponent is in. So this lag consists of (in a shielding opponent) Shieldstun, time to drop the shield, time to start the motion, and time to start your countermove.

so the basic formula should look like this:

(S)=[(v/d)+tOL]-tL
where
tOL is the time of the opponents lag, which consists of:

SS, shield stun
SD, frames to drop shield
DSt,the time it takes to initiate run, jump, walk, dash
CA, the time to use a counter attack (any move)

so,
tOL=SS+SD+DSt+CA, making the complex equasion:
f(S)={[v/(R+Kn+Di)]+[SS+SD+DSt+CA]}-tL

starting to hurt your mind yet? It gets a bit worse now. Because the counter attack (variable CA) has a range attached to it, the distance the unit has to travel to punish the opponent is lowered. So now, d goes from

d=R+Kn+Di
to d=R+Kn+Di-Rca, which makes the complex equasion:
f(S)={[v/(R+Kn+Di-Rca)]+[SS+SD+DSt+CA]}-tL.

Okay, so what was the point of this?

The point of the first section was just to make people think, which is important when playing brawl/melee any fighting game, as the principle is the same. I hope challenges people to think about why they are doing what they are doing, and whether it's more/less effective than they first assumed.

Using this formula, plus frame date, we can come up with a list of safe/unsafe attacks for each character, against a shielding opponent. Actually, with regards to auto-cancelled attacks, this equasion becomes much simpler, as d=Range of your attack-range of there counter attack option.

And, well wouldn't that be useful information? more the most part it would translate into semi-obvious things, but in my opinion you can never have to much information AVAILABLE, even if you don't need/want to look at it.

My request(s)

Unfortunately, I do not have brawl, and I have no means of counting frames. I know most of you have brawl, and no clue whether there is some way to get frame data yet. But if there is, I'm thinking of using this thread as a means of organizing frame data, and using it to break down the game.

I'd like the community's help with this, but if it's impossible, at least the math was fun (in a I haven't taken a math course in 3 years now) sort of way.

Also, comments, advice, more general info/feedback[1] would be appreciated, as in addition to all this mathy stuff this is at heart a Common Sense Guide to Brawl, and as I play more/come up with more things I think need explaining I'll write up about it ^_^

[1] If you think I've missed something, am wrong about something, glossed over something, didn't explain something, thing I'm simply wasting time, then let me know, please, so I can either give up on this or continue/correct things

[Future potential topics I've mused over]
*What if they get hit by an attack?
*the importance of multiple hitboxes
*How perfect shielding works
*What makes good spam+ a look at all projectiles.
*"Comboing" in Brawl

Appendix of other useful threads:

Tyr_03's list of autocanceled aerials
Magus' fram data for Luigi

St. Viers

Smash Champion
^^um what?

if you mean that has something to do with "safety," it doesn't really...because you're attacking their shield, and I'd defining safe as you don't need to try and block their counter attack.

If you mean I should make a topic on it ,then I prolly should, but I think one is already out there >_>

[reserved for extra space]

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Um, priority?
has absolutely nothing to do with what he was saying... good job.

Priority only comes into play when two moves collide... St. Viers is specifically dealing with sheilded attacks. focusing on aerials.

Xyvir

Smash Rookie
Wow... I love math, and have always kind of had an affinity for it. I have always enjoyed learning some mathematic principal, and how it relates to real-life applications and uses. However, I have never ever regarded the possibility of using math to better analyze, and hopefully play video games. Kudos, for combining two of my favourite loves. :)

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
The complicated part comes when you add in that the character you're attacking has different ranges on their f-tilt, f-smash, d-smash, grabs, whatever they'll attack with out of shield. Add in the specific character's ability to combo out of each attack they can reach with from shield distance, and we're looking at 500-1000000000000 (approx.) pages of data.
Good work though, ambition of this size often pays off.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
^^don't think so, I'm not going go make an algorithm for every aspect--I took account of the opponent using a move without moving the full way >_>

the red thing is based on one attack from one char, and a specific response from the opponent: You can use it to calculate:

if they run, walk, jump, dash (initial animation can be a different speed from dash) into any attack (you just have to change Rca (under d), and CA (part of tOL).

But thanks for the encouragement ^_^

enemyoftime

Smash Rookie
Wow. You went through all that trouble just to put math to something that really only requires experiance in the game? I think you deserve an e-cookie.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Wow. You went through all that trouble just to put math to something that really only requires experience in the game? I think you deserve an e-cookie.
yeah, because using math you can get rid of "I think this is safe, because the scrubs I play against don't punish it" and turn it into: this is safe, this isn't.

Can I have cookie nao?

btw, you spelled experience wrong >_>

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
wow crazy. I wish I was more mathematically minded and could understand some of this better. Definetly an interesting read though (even for people like me.) Good stuff.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^Well, if you want to be nit picky, you spelled equation wrong.
tOL=SS+SD+DSt+CA, making the complex equasion:
But still, I'm really glad somebody brought this up, and made an equation for it too. You sir deserve this.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
Massive formulas are not common sense, but I enjoyed this thread and a project on this should be started.

3GOD

Smash Ace
When doing math like this, you need to clearly define what each variable represents. For instance, I assume that SS is Shield Stun, but you have not defined it as such other than mentioning shield stun before the variable SS appears in your formulas.

You should do a key:

SS = Shield stun
SD = Time to drop shield
etc.

Also, I assume that your variable tL is also taking into account the fact that an attack connecting with any shielding/non-shielding opponent has a certain amount of hit lag upon contact. For instance, with Zelda, a lightning kick to a shielding opponent makes Zelda lag for a certain number of frames while the opponent simultaneously suffers from a certain (but probably different) amount of shield stun.

Realistically, this idea is not really feasible. We have no access to a debug menu (frame by frame data is gathered much easier here), and it's very difficult by capturing video to really assess shield stun, hit lag, etc.

The easiest way to know if a move is safe is to to look at your character...if he looks like Meta Knight, then your moves are safe.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
Lets plug all of this information into a database and find out if any character has a move capable of punishing metaknight.

I bet somebody quick could punish him.. maybe a metaknight.

Bluebottel

Smash Cadet
Awesomeness!
In Melty Blood, a moves safety can somewhat be measured by how much "frame advantage" it gives.
A frame advantage of 4 means that you will have 4 frames to act before your opponent can do the same, assuming that he blocked the incoming attack.

KAN

Smash Cadet
Bowser, Ganondorf, Lucario and Diddy all have the 00ber-save move. A grabbox in their side-B. ^^

St. Viers

Smash Champion
@ Blue bottle: yeah, actually that's exactly what inspired me, but brawl's physics>mb's.

@3god: gah, I had that in my scrap work, forgot to put it into post. thanks for the catch ^_^

also, yes, tL is what you describe...also, I wasn't sure if there was an AR thing for brawl, but in casethere was, or in case someone can figure the stuff out:--I'm not expecting this to be possible right away.

@Tomato Kirby--the math is the plus...the first part was the commoin sense ^_^

@ Kan: very true, for approaching someone in their shield (though lucario has an actual hitbox too)

Thanks for the feedback guys!!!

St. Viers

Smash Champion
updated the first post with:
*improved spelling
*variable definitions (thanks again 3god)
*added a new section, namely an appendix for useful threads, to be updated when I run across them, someone points one out to me

[/update]

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
LOL.

This post is definitely going to be useful for a lot of people, so thanks for that. But lol nonetheless.

I'm sorry, but you made a video game into a mathmatical formula. Most people use gaming to escape Math.

It's a game, just have some fun. That's all I have to say.

LET THE FLAMING... BEGIN!! :D

3GOD

Smash Ace
LOL.

This post is definitely going to be useful for a lot of people, so thanks for that. But lol nonetheless.

I'm sorry, but you made a video game into a mathmatical formula. Most people use gaming to escape Math.

It's a game, just have some fun. That's all I have to say.

LET THE FLAMING... BEGIN!! :D
Math is fun.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
@SinkingHigher Smashboards is not for people who play a game to have fun. it is for people who have lost their good sense, and want to win badly, and be incredible at the game, and beat everyone, despite pain and headaches and the fact that the prize money is never near worth the blood, sweat, tears, math work, early onset arthritis, lack of a girlfriend, lack of friends period, and inability to keep up with what's going on in all those important serial tv shows everyone talks about at work. Smashboards is for the Lance Armstrongs of smash bros.

@St. Viers
This thread is really good. I think what would be a much easier place to start is measuring all the characters' time to punish. Like, Lucas's grab is slow right? so you can get away with stuff. And at one range, it's wisest for him to Ftilt-punish, at another range he should *hits the sandy bottom of his knowledge of Lucas*... attack, and so on. Those 20s you were talking about.

That would be really useful because, for instance, I love to use a Sheik Nair->jab approach against Olimar. If i knew every other character who had a punishment number worse than him, then I could know automatically that Nair-> jab would work......... right???

Kaizo

Smash Apprentice
Nice guide. Honestly, this sort of thing makes one's Ike not such as much.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Hahahaha, excrutiating training is the way of the Jedi.

I will always find it funny. I can respect it, but it's still funny. :p

tag yeah

Smash Cadet
wow great guide, I would totally help you with that math if i had a alot of free time coming up, or i wanted to go pro SSBB :p, anyway great help, everyone that takes brawl seriously should read this.

err

Smash Journeyman
inability to keep up with what's going on in all those important serial tv shows everyone talks about at work.

TV is full of ****.
i'd rather lose my life in a ****'ing videogame than to god****eed cable television

[Lucy: Daughter of the Devil] = awesome, though

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
I would actually argue the opposite and say most guys enjoy logic puzzles and problem solving which generally include Math.

TV is full of ****.
i'd rather lose my life in a ****'ing videogame than to god****eed cable television
I'm pretty sure he was joking, and if anything making fun of people who watch pointless TV shows...

Browny

Smash Hater
but does this take into account distance travelled with an attack? i mean snakes dash attack is practically unpunishable, even though its probably looks quite bad when you put it in that formula.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
it's taken into account--the d value, where part of it is how far the attack moves with the attack (variable Di, I believe, even if Di refers mainly to how far you can DI an aerial, it works for that too)

^_^

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
im deff comming back to this dude makes me think a little

i like how this gets only 3 pages and a few smart responses while over 5 thousand plpe post on a whos the worst character thread..... T___T

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
^^um what?

if you mean that has something to do with "safety," it doesn't really...because you're attacking their shield, and I'd defining safe as you don't need to try and block their counter attack.

If you mean I should make a topic on it ,then I prolly should, but I think one is already out there >_>

[reserved for extra space]
I think there needs to be a list of each move in order of priority. it would take god knows how long, but it could be very helpful once completed.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
um, priority is my next topic, I just need to make sure I know exactly WHAT it is.

*Spoiler*

Priority isn't some arbitrary attribute of attacks. When broken down, priority is determined by the following question:

Did my attack hit the opponent. If they do nothing, or course it does, if you are in range. If you both attack and you hit them, why? Thsi is because your attack came out fast enough that it hits the opponent's frame before their attack's hitbox came out. What about if I attack at the same time, but it clashes? This is trickier...

Either your attacks hitbox clashed with and negated the hitboxes, or you both whiffed. However, I think that multi-hit attacks, the other hitboxes still go on, and can then hit your opponent.

So pretty much priority is determines by range, speed, and number of hitboxes (think shiek's needles--ultimate annoying projectile, for that reason, or gaw's b-air, as it clashes, then hits...). Now I just need to have it make sense.

Dream Chaser

Smash Journeyman
Nice thread.

Just two things though, could you use subscripts (or small writing) in the equations.
For example, if time is measured in frames,

SS, shield stun
SD, frames to drop shield
DSt,the time it takes to initiate run, jump, walk, dash
CA, the time to use a counter attack

since these are all measured in frames, they could be fSS or fSD etc

And use different symbols for different variables (d apparently means frames and distance at the moment) but I think this was just an oversight.

Anyway. Good job though =)

Top Bottom