• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your most hated criticism against your most wanted character?

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Did this thread suddenly turn from 'vent about your most hated speculation arguments' into 'make your most hated speculation arguments'?

Do we need to have the platformer mascot vs RPG protagonist debate again? I thought everyone settled once they realised the two have the same amount of content in Smash.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Some of the previous posts reminded me of how tiring the people who do nothing but complain that there's nothing but jrpg reps now are some of the most annoying "critics" for 2 of my most wanted (Demi-Fiend and Sora), and it only gets more annoying if it's for just realitically proportioned humans (then from my most wanted it also extands to Reimu, Phoenix Wright, Dante, Akira Howard, and 2B). News flash, while most of the dlc has been realistically proportioned humans, a very big chunk of previous fighters are more cartoony characters or anthropomorphic animals, with most of them coming from platformers. I get the fatigue of the genre, but it's also especialy annoying when this only removes the individual characteristics of the characters. So what if Demi-Fiend is a realistically proportioned humanoid character from a jrpg? He's still an half-demon that punches both gods and fallen angels in the face, has many unique magic and physical skills to make an incredibly fun moveset, and would bring many bangers tracks alongside himself, all the while representing a series that still has nothing in Smash, and this applies to so many characters that it's not even funny. The stigma of "anime style/jrpg bad for new Smash character" is tiring me beyond belief.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Do we need to have the platformer mascot vs RPG protagonist debate again? I thought everyone settled once they realised the two have the same amount of content in Smash.
Well, I wasn't going to get into it- but since this sentence above is factually incorrect, I will.
A few weeks ago, I wrote this whole long post about this subject.
To sum that post up- Mathematically, that statement is very innaccurate.
As far as series represented, number of characters, and number of DLC- RPGs are significantly more than platformers.
The number goes anywhere from about 1/3 more characters, to well... 2/19 platform DLC to 10/19 for RPG. It's only worth noting that of all DLC, there are only two series who have gotten more than one character, total. Fire Emblem- with three characters, and Final Fantasy, with two characters.
I did the math both with Mario + Pokemon, and without Mario + Pokemon (I don't think its fair to count either series, since they encompass every type of genre, but if they do, they mostly cancel each other out).

Anyway, there is significantly more RPG content than any other genre, including Platforming.
Some of the previous posts reminded me of how tiring the people who do nothing but complain that there's nothing but jrpg reps now are some of the most annoying "critics" for 2 of my most wanted (Demi-Fiend and Sora), and it only gets more annoying if it's for just realitically proportioned humans (then from my most wanted it also extands to Reimu, Phoenix Wright, Dante, Akira Howard, and 2B). News flash, while most of the dlc has been realistically proportioned humans, a very big chunk of previous fighters are more cartoony characters or anthropomorphic animals, with most of them coming from platformers. I get the fatigue of the genre, but it's also especialy annoying when this only removes the individual characteristics of the characters. So what if Demi-Fiend is a realistically proportioned humanoid character from a jrpg? He's still an half-demon that punches both gods and fallen angels in the face, has many unique magic and physical skills to make an incredibly fun moveset, and would bring many bangers tracks alongside himself, all the while representing a series that still has nothing in Smash, and this applies to so many characters that it's not even funny. The stigma of "anime style/jrpg bad for new Smash character" is tiring me beyond belief.
I agree with most of this- realistic humans encompass most new third parties, and even a significant portion of Nintendo games, now.
I think the call for cartoony characters has more to do with wanting characters from the 80s and 90s.

That said, we don't tend to get cartoonish characters as DLC. The only ones we have ever gotten are Mewtwo, Lucas, PP, and Banjo.

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I already posted in this thread way back when but since then I’ve noticed a new criticism that I hate about my most wanted character.

Yes Wonderful 101 sold horribly, yes it was niche and has a tiny audience, yes I’ll concede it doesn’t deserve a rep (even though the Kickstarter made enough money to port it to the switch) but please stop calling it a 3rd party game. Nintendo owns the IP. They contracted Platinum to make a new Nintendo IP and Wonderful 101 was the result. Platinum even said they didn’t own any of the IPs they had worked on previously. Even now, post Kickstarter, it seems that ownership of the IP isn’t Platinum because when asked they said they cannot comment. So for intents and purposes you can play a Nintendo IP on a play station now.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I already posted in this thread way back when but since then I’ve noticed a new criticism that I hate about my most wanted character.

Yes Wonderful 101 sold horribly, yes it was niche and has a tiny audience, yes I’ll concede it doesn’t deserve a rep (even though the Kickstarter made enough money to port it to the switch) but please stop calling it a 3rd party game. Nintendo owns the IP. They contracted Platinum to make a new Nintendo IP and Wonderful 101 was the result. Platinum even said they didn’t own any of the IPs they had worked on previously. Even now, post Kickstarter, it seems that ownership of the IP isn’t Platinum because when asked they said they cannot comment. So for intents and purposes you can play a Nintendo IP on a play station now.
So... Nintendo fully owns both Wonderful 101 AND Bayonetta?
If this is true, I'm much less bothered by Bayo's inclusion.
And then my stance on WonderRed changes, too.
I know Nintendo owns partial to many series- including Sims and Tetris.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Platinum rarely if ever owns the games that they make. I think they're trying to change that with self-publishing, but for now (as far as I know) Nintendo owns the Wonderful 101 and Sega owns Bayonetta. (though I'm not sure if there's some sort of legal complication with her design from Bayonetta 2 - whenever Bayonetta appears in anything, her Bayo 1 design is always used, and Nintendo was able to advertise Bayonetta alongside their female characters to promote Women's History Month)

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Sega owns bayonetta

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Platinum rarely if ever owns the games that they make. I think they're trying to change that with self-publishing, but for now (as far as I know) Nintendo owns the Wonderful 101 and Sega owns Bayonetta.
Nintendo and Platinum jointly owned Astral Chain for a while, but I believe Platinum sold their share to Nintendo :yoshi:

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Again, not a character I explicitly want, but I once saw people say Reimu shouldn't get into Smash because Nintendo would start taking down Touhou OST uploads on YouTube if she did.

Rights don't work like that. Nintendo don't own the Final Fantasy IP because :ultcloud: and :ultsephiroth: appear in Smash; Square Enix still do, and it'd be the same with Touhou and ZUN.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sega owns Bayonetta as a character, the franchise and the first game.

Nintendo specifically owns Bayonetta 2 and 3.

It's a strange situation.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Not sure if I posted this before but: "X character can't get in Smash because their Y ability would break the game and Sakurai likes to stay loyal to characters' own games."

It's untrue because of so many reasons that I don't even know where to begin.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Not sure if I posted this before but: "X character can't get in Smash because their Y ability would break the game and Sakurai likes to stay loyal to characters' own games."

It's untrue because of so many reasons that I don't even know where to begin.
Examples of characters?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Lets go:

(keeping one) Young Link: But link is already in the game wer dont need two
No BOTW link is in the game a pretty weird one not only that but everyone of my childhood links was tiny so thats that!

Porky: Mother is overated and if someone should be added it should be ninten or Giygas
I do agree that giygas is nice but Ninten remember he looks not like this:
but like this:
so hes basically ugly Ness! And xenoblade is far less influentcial or important yet has 1,5 reps more so give Porky a Chance

Dark Matter (my actual most wanted outside Gameboy link i guess): Hes obscur, Marx or Galacta would be better or the genewral we dont need another Kirby rep!
I sorta get how obscur he is heck if you only play kirby games to the (bad) Credits you never see him yet hes one of the Most influential Kirby bosses inspiering Zero, Drawcia, Void termina and many more and stays relevant to this day!

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Xenoblade is also a growing, relevant series with two entries on Switch that sold extremely well given how niche the genre is.
I dont care if its more relevant Mother created a new Sub Genre and inspired Games like:
Undertale, Yume nikki , the Southpark games, Lisa and many Many many more!

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I dont care if its more relevant Mother created a new Sub Genre and inspired Games like:
Undertale, Yume nikki , the Southpark games, Lisa and many Many many more!
Earthbound already got 2 character from their 2 most inspirational game, that's already enough to fill the bowl for a discontinued "trilogy" and also since when did it create new genre? Literally it's just RPG with a lighter color palette and a dark undertone and inspiration is expected for a game that is decades.

Last edited:
Top Bottom