• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your criteria for picking your character?

tropewhat

Smash Cadet
NNID
NoonAim
Try to explain your reasoning for choosing your character in brawl. Do you pick a character you think you're best at, a character that is widely acknowledged as good, a character that makes you happy, a character that you think is underused, or do you make your decision off of another reason? Do you use multiple characters and, if so, do you use one specifically for competitive play? I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS

Iron Thorn

Smash Lord
Going to Gamelon. I'm taking the Triforce of Spag
Different reasons for each:

Metaknight: Multiple jumps, sexy voice, bad*ss all round, adorable in the same way Lego Vader is.
Zelda/Sheik: Favorite. Character. Ever.
Wolf: My favorite animal, plus I need a bad guy to play as.
Pikachu: It's all about t3h goggles.
Pit: He just cracks me up for some reason. Oh, arrows and multiple jumps too.
Falco: I like birds, and I'm Italian-American on my mom's side. Plus it's not that big a step from playing Wolf.
Toon Link: He's friggin' adorable. Just look at his little face and stubby legs. How could you say no? Also, Purple is a plus.
R.O.B.: He's a cute robot, plus my friend likes him, and my friends influence me too much. Purple here too.
Yoshi: Yoshi's Story was one of my favorite N64 games, plus he's fun to play as. Terrible 3rd jump sucks though.

chic

Smash Ace
My bro has been using Mario and I have been using Luigi since 64. When we were younger we just were obsessed with Mario/Luigi, so when SSB came out it just seemed logical to pick them. plus the fact that since we are brothers and so are they it made even more sense :p Did the same with Melee and now with Brawl :D

tropewhat

Smash Cadet
NNID
NoonAim
aite **** it im not gonna play characters just cuz they're good anymore you guys taught me a lot

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Not broken, not fat, not annoying.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Picking character is easy for me. It depends on the height, weight, and hair color of the chick I banged the night before.
Wow.....................

Are you this funny all the time.

10lamejokes

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
If I like their character from the games I played, I will learn them, no matter what.

Luckily, Toon Link and Pokemon Trainer, my most wanted Brawl characters, fit me perfectly.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I pick characters that look interesting/unique, or characters that have some relation to previous mains. I chose Lucas because I been usin' Ness since SSB sixty-fo'.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
This is simple. I just play as the character I think is most fun. It also tends to be a less used character or a more difficult character to learn because its so much more rewarding to win.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
All my mains are because of fanboyism. But my mains are not always my best they are just my favorites. I mained Mewtwo in melee but when it came to an important match I was falco.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Meta Knight: My favorite character ever. I knew I'd use him way before I got or played the game.
Ness: I've used him since 64. He's just a character I've always enjoyed playing as.
Ice Climbers: I used them some in Melee, but when I tried them in Brawl... Man, they just felt good. Really fit the playing style I've developed.
Lucario: I'm not really sure. He's just a character I feel good using.
Toon Link: I always liked Link, but found him a little too slow and heavy. Toony was the perfect solution.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
I pretty much use the characters I think are cool. But if a character is a powerhouse--I'm going to attempt to use him so that's a given. I also try to use the lesser-mained characters by others.

Basically--
-If they're cool (AKA Fanboyism)
-If they're a powerhouse
-If they have a sword
-Tier

Roihu

Smash Ace
Fanboyism for me.
Marth would be a second pick because honestly, who doesn't love his forward B? (Well, I can understand if you're in the other end...)

E.M.

Smash Apprentice
I love fast FLASHY characters. Captain Falcon, Fox, Falco, Wolf.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Pit: Huge fan of Kid Icarus. I have been waiting for Pit to be in Smash since Melee (yet I would have loved for him to be in SSB64); have been waiting for a new Kid Icarus game for too long.

Lucario: My favorite Pokémon ever. Since Pit was confirmed for Brawl on day one, Lucario was my absolute-must-be-playable-in-Brawl-or-I'm-not-buying-this-game-and-I'm-serious character.

Wolf: I love wolves.

DS_Dragon

Smash Rookie
Lucas: I'm good with him and theres something about him I find cute lol
Luigi: Hes always been my favorite mario character.
King Dedede: Really to prove that I can use him after my embarasing first experience with him. And he looks good in purple
Pokemon Trainer: My favorite pokemon is Charizard. And his rock smash works wonders on bosses
Sonic: My first video game that I ever beat! I have fond memories of sonic on genesis. Although KNuckles is better

But overall I just play as who I am good with and who I like to play as

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Kirby: My main in 64, also in Melee(though I use Falco/Fox/Falcon) for serious, and he is in brawl, and I like him.
Fox: My very first smash character to play with(and the first time I knew him :p), I like this guy, He was my 2nd main in 64, Melee main, and the "For fun main" in brawl.
Falco: My friend was using him, then I copied him, I liked how his playstyle was, until I heard of a rumour that "there is a chance that the clone characters might be cut" I swapped to Fox, was my 2nd main in melee, then when I didn't like Fox much in brawl, I tried him out, he PWNed.
Meta Knight: I liked his "Victory is my Destiny" thing, so I used to play with him a lot, until I got very good with him, at some time he became my main(for a week or so), and now he is my 2nd main.
Wolf: I liked his smashes, moves, and so, plus Wolves are awsome. =)
King DDD: One of my secondaries, Was going to be my main if Falco/Wolf turned out to suck.
R.O.B.: I don't know why everyone hates him, but if it weren't for him there wouldn't be any SSB(or in fact any Video Game after 1983) and plus he is like the terminator in brawl, and he is cute...

MetaRidleyX

Smash Apprentice
Samus: I love metroid and Samus has been a favourite since 64
Lucas: A kid with a giant cowlick, a stick he picked up off the ground and psychic powers, pretty cool
Zelda: I've met only one other person who mains zelda, she isnt that common around here, so I picked her up
Ganon: a main from melee and all around powerhouse, I like his play style
Ike: I like FE, especially the 2 that he's in so simply because I like the games hes from
Falco: he's got bread, what more needs to be said?

the Lexx

Smash Apprentice
ROB is cool.
MK is good.
It's funny beating people with Ness.

Plus the first two cover each others' bad match-ups, except for other MKs. I suppose picking up DK or Snake wouldn't be a bad idea.

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
I play characters who fit my relatively aggressive playstyle, and can chase in the air. Ergo, Wolf, Sheik, Pikachu, and Marth are all relatively logical for me.

Top Bottom