• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your biggest turnoff?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Hey guys we have a place called the Debate Hall and if you like to go into deep detail you should apply there and try out.
You are more likely to get something like that there.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Ok Richard Dawkins lol.

The funny thing is Superspright, you're stating that everyone else is incorrect and you're right, yet according the Socrates you would be the most follish person in this thread.

To get this back on-topic, what turns me off is people who are narrow-minded and think only they are right, and attack other people for disagreeing with them.

Crashic I'm in the PG now, I've got a somewhat controversial thread up there now if you wanna have a peep.

Superspright

Smash Lord
I was thinking about it, but it is dead, and no one here knows how to debate anyway [like srsly], and I am not a good debater at all. At least, formally. I don't often appeal to argumentum ad personam, but I just can't stand all the ignorance. :[

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm starting to think you're a troll.

At least I hope for your sake you're a troll, and don't seriously act like that in the real world.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Ok Richard Dawkins lol.

The funny thing is, you're stating that everyone else is incorrect and you're right, yet according the Socrates you would be the most follish person in this thread.

To get this back on-topic, what turns me off is people who are narrow-minded and think only they are right, and attack other people for disagreeing with them.
I am not stating that everyone else is incorrect. But, I am stating I am right about one particular thing: Science is not a religion. Anyone who believes otherwise clearly does not understand what religion is, or what dogma is, or what science is based on at all.

And Socrates might have felt differently if he was born nearly 2,300 years later. I respect Socrates, and the other great philosophers of Greece, but they were ignorant of nearly everything. They didn't even know what atoms were--but that can be argued. But, they certainly never widely accepted it.

And, according to Diogenes you're a waste of life. At least Diogenes was an awesome philosopher.

--

Wait wait, how am I a troll? Because I have a point of view that completely trumps yours? Because mine is actually supported by the research thousands of years of accumulated knowledge and yours is essentially common sense?

Please, you're the troll.

soap

Smash Hero
i'd **** anything...

lol, obesity is actually prolly the biggest turnoff lol. I'll go thick, but there is a line

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Superspright only 'owns' because no one is prepared to be as abusive of his thinking as he is to everyone else's.

But if you think that stating claims as fact, and attacking people for thinking differently, and having no one bother to argue back substantially is owning, then good luck to you lol.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Turnoffs:

- smoking
- excessive drinking
- stupidity
- paying unnecessary attention to celebrities lives
- the inability to string together a coherent sentence
- overly forward in their advances
- fans of so many mainstream pop bands that I hate (not a big turn off though, to each their own)
- dishonesty
- no sense of humor or fans of toilet humor (same thing really)
- the inability to have a decent conversation
- disorganized
- lazy
- irrationality/ the inability to be reasonable

So yeah, I dislike most people.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
pool room is full of kids tryin s0o0o hard to troll and this guy gets a rise out of everyone w/o breakin a sweat. that my dear is why he ownz

edit: not to call you out minimic, cuz other ppl post stuff like this too, but anyone who says they dont like "Boring chicks" or girls who "cant hold a conversation"... everyone can hold a conversation, if you cant it doesnt mean the girl is boring it means you two just dont share interests. . .

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
That's fair enough then, but I would say he did go to some effort with all the content he posts. If that's not breaking a sweat, then real trolling never is because it's just typing lol.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Turnoffs:

- smoking
- excessive drinking
- stupidity
- paying unnecessary attention to celebrities lives
- the inability to string together a coherent sentence
- overly forward in their advances
- fans of so many mainstream pop bands that I hate (not a big turn off though, to each their own)
- dishonesty
- no sense of humor or fans of toilet humor (same thing really)
- the inability to have a decent conversation
- disorganized
- lazy
- irrationality/ the inability to be reasonable

So yeah, I dislike most people.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
That's fair enough then, but I would say he did go to some effort with all the content he posts. If that's not breaking a sweat, then real trolling never is because it's just typing lol.
lol true theres effort in it, but he never gets like especially aggressive/defensive over his ridiculous opinions, he just keeps on truckin and, like you said, he just states them as fact. its too good :lick:

bonus content for thread: vague music tastes. "i listen to everything but rap and country" is the worst phrase IN THE WORLD. i dont care if your favorite artists are jonas brothers and hannah montana, at least like SOMETHING :urg:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Na he does get pretty aggressive, he insults everyone who disagrees with him, me and him had a clash in the Ganondorf social thread of all places, it went for about 3-4 pages lol.

If you don't consider abusing people being aggressive, then I don't relaly know how a troll could be aggressive. I guess I would call abusive aggressive.

Superspright

Smash Lord
pool room is full of kids tryin s0o0o hard to troll and this guy gets a rise out of everyone w/o breakin a sweat. that my dear is why he ownz

edit: not to call you out minimic, cuz other ppl post stuff like this too, but anyone who says they dont like "Boring chicks" or girls who "cant hold a conversation"... everyone can hold a conversation, if you cant it doesnt mean the girl is boring it means you two just dont share interests. . .
yo, I got this **** down to a science. My trollin' so good it doesn't even look like trollin'.

But srsly. I am not spitting lies. If you can find something that is has a modicum of academic reputability to it saying that science is a religion then I'll concede right now on the spot.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
yo, I got this **** down to a science. My trollin' so good it doesn't even look like trollin'.

But srsly. I am not spitting lies. If you can find something that is has a modicum of academic reputability to it saying that science is a religion then I'll concede right now on the spot.

So all that time in the Ganon social thread and here now you were insulting me and claiming everyone is wrong but you, was that just trolling or are you really like that?

tubes

Smash Ace
I am not stating that everyone else is incorrect. But, I am stating I am right about one particular thing: Science is not a religion. Anyone who believes otherwise clearly does not understand what religion is, or what dogma is, or what science is based on at all.

And Socrates might have felt differently if he was born nearly 2,300 years later. I respect Socrates, and the other great philosophers of Greece, but they were ignorant of nearly everything. They didn't even know what atoms were--but that can be argued. But, they certainly never widely accepted it.

And, according to Diogenes you're a waste of life. At least Diogenes was an awesome philosopher.

--

Wait wait, how am I a troll? Because I have a point of view that completely trumps yours? Because mine is actually supported by the research thousands of years of accumulated knowledge and yours is essentially common sense?

Please, you're the troll.
Your trolling unintentionally because regardless of whose right or wrong, you felt the need to derail the thread with your walls of criticism about how if we aren't into black chicks we're mindless sheeple who can't break the bonds of society and achieve nirvana and infinite knowledge like superior beings, such as yourself.

Also your argument for why atheism isn't a religion is not very convincing. Partly because you struck me as an annoying prick who can't accept that his own beliefs might not necessarily be any "better" than someone else's, and if they are "better", then that doesn't necessarily make other beliefs unacceptable (there is a way you could have worded your posts to avoid this yet tell the same information).

The main reason I am not convinced, however, is because it seems as though atheism (and to a degree, Science) and religions seem to do almost the exact same ****. Both of them are just Man's way of determining where we came from, how things work, why things are the way they are, and general explaining phenomena.

There are some slight differences, however. Religions tend to also describe how one should live, and, to my knowledge, Atheism (and science) does not. Also, Atheism tends to be more based on research, and experimentation, and hard evidence whereas religions tend to be more based on faith.

I'll be honest, I am pretty uneducated in subjects of religion, including atheism (I'm also 17). For the most part I believe in Science and I'll blindly accept almost everything proven with math as fact, but I'm not willing to throw out what tiny shred of christian belief I have left until Science can reassure me I won't cease to exist when I die.

TL;DR: In a sense, atheism is a religion like Smash Bros is a fighting game.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Smash bros is a party game. Was your analogy intended to fail?

Also, you don't need science to tell you that you won't exist after you die. Just try to recall what it was like before you were born. Hmmm...

I am sorry, but I am done arguing with 17 year old armchair philosophers. Have a good night.

Also, kid, it is you're. Not your. Your is the possessive form of you, as in, it is YOUR ball, or YOUR stupidity. But it doesn't mean you are. That is what the apostrophe is for. It's a contraction: you're = you are. I don't tend to trust someone's intellectual capacity when their capacity for their own language is limited--so is their thinking. My grammar isn't perfect, but at least at 17 years of age I knew the difference--hell at 14 I did, and that's pretty late.

---
@dre:

Quote me when I said everyone is wrong. Go ahead. You can't. Some people are wrong--not everyone is wrong. Some people are half right, or half wrong--or any gradient in between. I don't think in a dichotomous fashion--anymore.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'll be honest, I am pretty uneducated in subjects of religion, including atheism (I'm also 17)..
To be honest, none of us who would play Smash Bros. (considering the age bracket) are knowledgeable enough to be stating opinions as facts, unless they're thirty years old with a relevant PHD under their belt. Alot of young people think that because they have a year or two of science study under their belt they're the next Einstein.

For the most part I believe in Science and I'll blindly accept almost everything proven with math as fact,
This is what arguably makes science a religion. The belief system is the same, people religiously believe science, and put maximum faith in it, like religion. There is no scientific proof that scientific proof is the best proof, not saying that makes it wrong, just that it's just another religion.

So Superspright was all that abuse and the attitude that everyone yo udiagrees with you is ignorant just trolling or were you being serious?

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
The list is long... and distinguished.

Cigarettes are disgusting, so I'd say that's probably the most major turnoff.

Race means absolutely nothing to me. Every race has something that's attractive to me.

Overly religious people are also relatively annoying, but that's not something that bothers me too much, except when they try to put down the belief systems of others, or try to force their beliefs onto them. I hate that so much.

I could probably write a large book based on my gigantic list of turnoffs, but I'm tired, so I'll leave it at that.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Dude, you keep espousing that there is no 'scientific proof that scientific proof is the best proof.'

This is an example of a logical fallacy. It is called circular logic. And it just sounds plain dumb. You are playing with the semantics of the language more than you are saying anything.

There is no way to know there is a way to go that way!

Scientific knowledge is based on philosophy. Science doesn't suppose science. Philosophy supposes science. If you want to attack science, then you have to attack every axiom of truth that we have ever obtained through the 2,000+ years of philosophy we have amassed.

I am getting so sick of your ignorance.

And yeah, I was really serious when I called you an idiot about that one particular point of view you have.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Quit trying to shut down everyone else beliefs, Richard Dawkins
Richard Dawkins doesn't go around trying to shut down people's beliefs firstly--I believe he is trying to educate people on subject matter that they just do not understand. He's not a philosopher by any means, but he is a biologist. But, he does have some persuasive arguments against God. But, I don't think they are all that great anyway.

And, I am not trying to shut down anyone's beliefs. If I can do that so easily as asking them a question then I guess their beliefs were stupid to begin with.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Yeah, so wait, I get a warning because of a well thought out argument--and a guy like this is free to post when he says that women are asking for ****?

Even though it is obvious he doesn't hold these views and is just trying to get a rise out of me [which isn't working now] he probably should be banned off of the forum for being such a colossal schmuck. >.>

Thatfatcat

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, so wait, I get a warning because of a well thought out argument--and a guy like this is free to post when he says that women are asking for ****?

Even though it is obvious he doesn't hold these views and is just trying to get a rise out of me [which isn't working now] he probably should be banned off of the forum for being such a colossal schmuck. >.>
Acutally, I do hold these views. I don't try to get rises out of people, I'm more mature than that. O_o

Superspright

Smash Lord
Yeah. Okay. I might believe you if this was colonial America or something. Unless you live under a rock, or you were raised by a cult of women hating satanists than you are most likely a liar. Your post count is only 31. More evidence. Why am I debating this with you? Anyway, your life must be pretty interesting.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
I agree, not sharing interests is a turn off in the same way not being able to have a good conversation is. That being said, I do know a few people who seriously cannot hold a conversation simply because they're so scatterbrained.

Edit: I like you, Lythium <3

Superspright

Smash Lord
I agree, not sharing interests is a turn off in the same way not being able to have a good conversation is. That being said, I do know a few people who seriously cannot hold a conversation simply because they're so scatterbrained.

Edit: I like you, Lythium <3
I like scatterbrained people--I'm pretty scatterbrained myself though.

Thatfatcat

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. Okay. I might believe you if this was colonial America or something. Unless you live under a rock, or you were raised by a cult of women hating satanists than you are most likely a liar. Your post count is only 31. More evidence. Why am I debating this with you? Anyway, your life must be pretty interesting.
Lol what does my post count have to do with anything?

Oh, and I don't hate women, whered you get that from?

And nuu I am not a liar.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
I don't have any 'definite' turn-offs as in, if the girl's other qualities even it out, I'll manage to live with it.

But I do know 1 thing for sure.

I will not ever have sex with Superspright.

Thatfatcat

Smash Apprentice
I don't have any 'definite' turn-offs as in, if the girl's other qualities even it out, I'll manage to live with it.

But I do know 1 thing for sure.

I will not ever have sex with Superspright.
LOL randommm.

As for turn offs
-Drinking
-Smoking
-Drugs
-Fast driving
-Anger issues
-Liars
-and buttsluts. They scare me.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Scientific knowledge is based on philosophy. Science doesn't suppose science. Philosophy supposes science. If you want to attack science, then you have to attack every axiom of truth that we have ever obtained through the 2,000+ years of philosophy we have amassed.
Actually, the argument that science is a religion originates from the belief that faith and reason are the same, or at least hevaily intertwined.

You stated that philosophy supposes science.

Philosophy= reason.

So if reason=faith, then philosophy=faith.

So if philosophy supposes science, then science is supposed by faith lol.

It makes sense, we use reason to establish that scientific knowledge is correct, but we require faith in our reason to accept it. Just as theists feel they have reason to have faith in their particular religion.

The only reason why you confidently throw scientific content in our faces is because you have faith in science and your own reasoning.

pitskeyblade

Smash Lord
Makin movies makin songs &amp; FIGHTIN ROUND THE W
I gotta say, if I was a girl, I wouldn't date most of you. Racists, and people who don't understand science or rational thought? Count me out. You're all the reason why women are turning gay and bi. Who would want to date scum?

But one thing to add: Why are we discussing our turn offs here? Like, don't women have enough problems trying to feel good about themselves? Whatever, clearly no one here is a feminist. Or a humanist for that matter.

Look, guys. This thread was not intended to offend anyone. I just thought that it would be an interesting topic. No need to go waging war over differing opinions. To each his own. I apologize if anyone did get offended by it. Oh, and by the way Superspright, I AM a girl.

Top Bottom