• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game Should I Get?

Sensai

Smash Master
[EDIT] I will not discuss any more of this topic in this thread.
Thanks. I don't mean to act like a mod or anything, but these types of discussions get really old really quickly. The whole thing should just be dropped here.

I have a question that I may have posted earlier, but didn't get much of a response: Is Baldur's Gate worth playing, or should I just play the second one?

oceanic--ice

Smash Apprentice
@oceanic--ice: If you liked Secret Rings you'll love Unleashed. I find it to be 60% sh*t and 40% awesome, which is saying something from me.

Other good 1st party games include Batallion Wars II, Excite Truck, and Mario Strikers Charged (Football). There are more I'd suggest, but you're across the pond, so I'm not as solid on what's out and what's not over there...
Ty, went for it and i enjoyed every second, especially since it was my first sonic game in which i got to play with the actual super sonic.... i was expecting it for the final boss and when i saw the gaia colossus thingy i was like "OMFG an entire game just to end playing with a huge mass of rocks?" then i was reliefed when sonic in the cutscene was gonna take over but as soon as i realised that he was gonna stay in his base form with just another stupid non-actual-boss stage running just to jump and hit the boss on the eyes i was about to collapse... BUT.... when i realised that there cant be a game ending with a stage and there should definetely be a 3rd phase i started smiling again and after i saw dark gaia powering up i was thinking "cool! this fight included everything....the only thing left is super sonic...." so when i was proved right i felt complete satisfactory......in fact i even played the boss many many many times after i beat it(with an S ofc) with no other reason other that i really loved it... cant wait for S&tBK in spring 2009 which will more closely remind me of S&tSR... although the controls over sonic in SU where much better..... mainly the ability to go back and propably his quickstep as well

Gates

Banned via Warnings
So I'm going to (finally) get a PS3 over Christmas. There are a bunch of games I want to play but I don't want to spend a ton of money. Which of the following do you think I should play and which should I rent (in order of most likely to buy to least likely):

MGS4
Valkyria Chronicles
Bioshock
Fallout 3

Sensai

Smash Master
From what I've heard, Gates, Fallout 3 is not worth the time and money that some people wanna put into it. I've heard it's simply a apocalyptic version of Oblivion (and that's fine, just make sure you know that's what you want). I'm sure it's got the most to do on that list, but you may simply not be up for it.

MGS4 is probably a good buy, as you'll likely wanna replay it again.

Bioshock is good...but (System Shock 2 rant). Simply kidding. It's worth the money, definitely. You could probably finish it in a rent or two (15 hours) but it might also be worth buying.

I know nothing of Valkyria Chronicles. Sorry. :-/

Crystallion

Smash Ace
So my friend needs new games. Last time you guys helped me out, I got him Thief and Splinter Cell.
Now he's got a new computer, and I already got him Dead Space and Halo.
So, I want a few new recommendations.

I'll cite my boyfriend: "I need games where I can kill people."
This shouldn't be too hard =D
But to be more specific, he could do with a few more FPS and strategy games, possibly even games of both genres. Oh and it has to be, of course, PC games.

I would appreciate the help (because he doesn't get to play the games all by himself now, get it? ;D)

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
That's just vague enough to work! :bee:

So...

1. FPS/Strategy
2. Killing people

...'Zat right?

Then I say Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War. It's an RTS, but it plays more like a squad-based 'shmup than anything. There's an expansion pack called Winter Assault, and the sequel is coming out sometime early next year.

If you just want death, destruction, and mayhem, then you can't go wrong with virtually any of the Serious Sam games. Just don't expect anything too deep or intricate.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
That's great ^^
But he also likes a story to go with it...which I didn't mention. Sorry ^^;
He's all for killing people, but was disappointed in Far Cry 2 because of the shabby plot.

EDIT: He likes games like Far Cry. ^^

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Mmm. Yeah, forget Serious Sam then.

Uh...hmm. Well, if he hasn't played Portal or BioShock yet, those are both awesome FPS games with amazing plotlines. The former has very, very little "killing" though, and is also only like, three hours long. Also both of the Half-Life games are no-brainers in this case.

Those are all relatively recent games, though. If I can go back a few years, I really liked the plot of Call of Juarez and No One Lives Forever, too. Deus Ex is another "classic" in this category, though I don't think it's aged that well.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
He's already played both Deus Exes. I tried to get him Portal, but he doesn't like puzzles either xD
Half Life's a pretty good idea though, I might check them out for him.

I'm sorry for being so vague. xD

Sensai

Smash Master
Half Life isn't just a 'good idea,' it's the _best_ idea. It's got story, it's got shooting people. And it's a ****in' great game besides that.

He needs Half Life 2, period. Feel free to skip over HL1 and those games, but HL2 and the episodes are a must.

And if he hasn't played Bioshock/System Shock 2, he should look into that.

Dead Space. Heard it was good, haven't gotten around to playing it.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Half Life isn't just a 'good idea,' it's the _best_ idea. It's got story, it's got shooting people. And it's a ****in' great game besides that.

He needs Half Life 2, period. Feel free to skip over HL1 and those games, but HL2 and the episodes are a must.

And if he hasn't played Bioshock/System Shock 2, he should look into that.

Dead Space. Heard it was good, haven't gotten around to playing it.
Dead Space was great... until i was told about the button that shows you exactly where to go. Good thing i was on the last chapter when i found that out, or else it would have ruined the game for me as it did for many of my friends.

Omis

my friends were skinny
I'm considering buying a PS3 or an X-BOX360 because the kiddy lineup of the wii is starting to bug me. Which has better games that are not rated M. Some rated M games are fine, but my parents wont buy me that many of them so no dice.

Zjiin

Smash Master
I'm considering buying a PS3 or an X-BOX360 because the kiddy lineup of the wii is starting to bug me. Which has better games that are not rated M. Some rated M games are fine, but my parents wont buy me that many of them so no dice.
Since i get paid to be on the internet at work, here ya go!

Top 10 360 (http://xbox.about.com/od/toppicks/tp/x360topten.htm)
BioShock Mature
Elder Scrolls Mature
Halo 3 Mature
Fallout 3 Mature
Call of Duty 4 Mature
Gears of War 2 Mature
Fight Night Round 3 Teen
Mass Effect Mature
Civilization Revolution Everyone
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise Everyone

Top 10 PS3(http://www.the-top-tens.com/lists/top-ten-playstation-3-games.asp)
Call of Duty 4 Mature
Tomb Raider Underworld Teen
Metal Gear Solid 4 Mature
Resistance: Fall of Man Mature
Grand Theft Auto IV Mature
Assasin's Creed Mature
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Mature
Virtua Fighter 5 Teen
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Teen
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas Teen

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I've heard Ratchet and Clank is a good PS3 game that's not rated M. I haven't played it but I have a friend who's a fan of the series.

Sensai

Smash Master
That's an interesting question, omis?. It really depends on if you're the kinda guy who tries to do all the side quests in RPGs...if so, I'd recommend Oblivion.

Seriously, I put 70 hours into that game before I even started the main quest. It's that expansive.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
It's also kind of boring, and horribly generic. As long as you go in expecting the most simple, unoriginal kind of "fantasy" setting you can think of, then it's fun. Personally the lack of an interesting artistic direction and bland combat system turned me off of it before it devoured me, as it did a number of my friends.

I'd say Mass Effect, just because it's story is worth following.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
So my friend needs new games. Last time you guys helped me out, I got him Thief and Splinter Cell.

But to be more specific, he could do with a few more FPS and strategy games, possibly even games of both genres. Oh and it has to be, of course, PC games.

I would appreciate the help (because he doesn't get to play the games all by himself now, get it? ;D)
How about Crysis?
That's by the people who make Far Cry I think.

If he enjoyed Thief and Splinter Cell why don't you get him the other games in the series.
That's if you haven't already.

I'd also recommend Half Life, even though I can't really do it. And my save file got deleted, so I'll have to start from the beginning again :(. Still, it's a good game, even if it's old.

Sensai

Smash Master
It's also kind of boring, and horribly generic. As long as you go in expecting the most simple, unoriginal kind of "fantasy" setting you can think of, then it's fun. Personally the lack of an interesting artistic direction and bland combat system turned me off of it before it devoured me, as it did a number of my friends.

I'd say Mass Effect, just because it's story is worth following.
The first few times I tried it, I ended up being turned off by the combat system too. And the leveling up system is just awful as well.

And I really enjoy the fantasy setting, actually. Yes, it's very LotR, very stereotypically fantasy, but it's still good. I think it just kinda reminds me of when I used to play DnD more seriously.

Like I've said pretty much everytime I've recommended Oblivion, it's worth a rent/play test before buying it. It's definitely not for everyone.

(@ omis?: Also, why not try Fallout 3? It's essentially the same thing as Oblivion set in the future.)

Zjiin

Smash Master
I personally really got into Oblivion, despite my dislike of FPS-style games without a mouse and keyboard. I also spent countless hours doing my own thing before actually paying attention to the main game. I actually spent so much time on having fun, i leveled up too high without noticing and and then breezed through the main game, lawl.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Halo 3. Gears of War is a fun game...but A) I don't think the story's as good, which is probably beside the point considering what we're talking about, and B) Halo 3 has more replay value. With all the stuff in the Forge, and an online community that's still going strong (not to mention the basic ability to get into an online match in less that a fraking half hour)...it's the better buy.

Ideally you'd play Halo and Halo 2 beforehand, mind.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman

Well I dunno if he cares if the games are old or not, but if he's really into strategy games you could try Jagged Alliance 2, or X-Com UFO Defense. I warn you though the games are old and the graphics are dated so look at some youtube videos to be sure he won't mind that much. They're great strategy games though. Jagged Alliance 2 is hard as hell though.

Omis

my friends were skinny
@ omis?: You should play Resident Evil 4 instead of either of those games.

:-D
Lol, I already have the wii-edition. The main reason Im getting the Xbox is for RE5.
Which reminds me.....
i GOT MY XBOX TODAY!
My current games are L4D, Viva Pinata, Lost Planet, Kung Fu panda, and Lego Indiana Jones.

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Kung Fu Panda and Lego Indy, do you think that Gamestop would let me trade those games in for GoW2?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Speaking of Kung Fu Panda and Lego Indy, do you think that Gamestop would let me trade those games in for GoW2?
If you got it with the 360 bundle, you shouldn't be able to trade it in. The box says not for resale. So unless Gamestop lets it slide, you won't be able to trade it in.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
Well I dunno if he cares if the games are old or not, but if he's really into strategy games you could try Jagged Alliance 2, or X-Com UFO Defense. I warn you though the games are old and the graphics are dated so look at some youtube videos to be sure he won't mind that much. They're great strategy games though. Jagged Alliance 2 is hard as hell though.
No, I don't think he will mind. Thanks for the advice, I will search for info on them first and then put them on my list. ^^

Warp$tar Lover

Smash Cadet
I need help with which version of Sonic Unleashed The 360 and Wii versions look great but I'm stumped.

All I know is the Wii version has only seven daytime stages and twenty five werehog segments, but since I like platforming to begin with, this wouldn't bother me. The 360 version from what I've been hearing has lots of bugs and glitches that cause you to die easily just by falling through the stage. I don't believe the critics, and was wondering if I could get a personal opinion. Please and thank you.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I need help with which version of Sonic Unleashed The 360 and Wii versions look great but I'm stumped.

All I know is the Wii version has only seven daytime stages and twenty five werehog segments, but since I like platforming to begin with, this wouldn't bother me. The 360 version from what I've been hearing has lots of bugs and glitches that cause you to die easily just by falling through the stage. I don't believe the critics, and was wondering if I could get a personal opinion. Please and thank you.
You make it sound like the daytime stages aren't platformers. :ohwell:

Anyway, go with the Wii version. Unless you absolutely can't stand not playing the game with the HD visuals of the 360 version, the Wii one is far superior.

1. It was made by Dimps, not Sonic Team. Dimps is the company that made the Sonic Rush games.

2. There's no ******** hub world where you have to plod around tracking down random crap for random people before going into the next level in the Wii version.

...That's it, really. But seriously, that hub world is annoying as sh*t. The game's already incredibly hit-or-miss, with the whole day/night level split...but the hub world just pushes it over the edge.

And this developer thing...it really shows how bad Sonic Team is at making Sonic games. The Wii version (made by Dimps, remember) plays like a dream (well, the daytime levels do, anyway), whereas on the 360/PS3, you have to deal with the standard issues that plagued SA2, Heroes, and 2006--randomly running off edges, slippery controls, and horrible load times.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
I hope you don't mind if I ask for some games here again ^^ You've been such a good help for the two other times.

So, December 31st is not far away, and my family proposed that we should think of some Wii games we could play, you know, to waste time till midnight.
And I don't quite know which ones I should pick, since they don't know that much about Wii games and neither do I. What fun games should I pick for this once-in-a-year event?
The game has to be fun and of course have multi-player.

I don't wanna be bored out of my skull because I absolutely hate New Year's Eve.
Dear Smash Boards, what should I buy?

(Oh and yes, I WILL play Smash with my parents, I WILL!!! ^_^ I will start with Brawl though, I think Melee will be too fast and complicated to handle at first)

Sensai

Smash Master
Crystallion, if you can get Wario Ware Smooth Moves. It's an amazing game, ESPECIALLY for multiplayer and only requires one controller at a time....

....but....

...the multiplayer isn't unlocked when you originally get it (I think; even if it is, you need to get some minigames to make it worth while). So, get it and get a save file from somewhere on the internet, or play the 3 hours or so required to beat the game and unlock it.

I know, it's kind of a chore and I have no idea why they did it, but it's a truly fantastic multiplayer experience otherwise.

[Edit:]

And if that's no good, there's always Wii Sports...if you guys aren't bored of it yet. Rayman Raving Rabbids is pretty good too, from what I've heard. Mario Party 8 is there if you're not bored of that formula yet.

Mario Strikers Charged is a helluva good game if you can get your family competitive. It actually made really good friends of me and my roommates single-handedly last year.

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
I know pretty much every other post I make is about this **** game, but Boom Blox would be fantastic for what you've described. Takes about three minutes to get the hang of, even if you're kind of useless at video games.

Perhaps Mario Kart Wii would be ok too?

edit: better idea: Get your guitar working. Play Rock Band.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games is another possibility, though I wouldn't actually buy it if I were you. Otherwise yeah--go with Wario Ware or Wii Sports.

Top Bottom