• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game Should I Get?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Well, I'm not getting MGS4. I used to be a huge fan, but not anymore. I've heard Uncharted is a sort of meh game and I'm not that into third person shooters. Ratchet and Clank might be cool, I enjoyed the previous games on the PS2. I had totally forgotten they released one for the PS3. I'll probably skip Resistance since I prefer FPS games on the PC. I hadn't given much thought to downloadable games, but I'll look into the ones you reccomended. Warhawk looks cool, I had forgotten about it though since it seemed to kind of fall off the map in terms of hype. I'll probably skip Singstar, doesn't really look like my thing. Motorstorm looked cool, but I don't know much about it. Gran Turismo on the other hand rocks so I'd probably go for that. I forgot to mention one more game I want that I was planning on getting for the 360 since it was easier to afford, Virtua Fighter 5. Well thanks for the advice. And feel free to list some multi-platform games, it's going to be either a 360 or a PS3, not both.
MotorStorm is a very boring game, unless you're the kind of person who's tickled pink by dirt physics. Also don't toss off Resistance just because it's a console FPS, especially since you're a R&C fan. Resistance = first-person R&C set in WWII

Also Everyday Shooter is the bee's knees, and is readily available on the PSN. :bee:

VF5 plays better on the PS3 (only because of the slightly superior button layout and d-pad), but it's only online on 360, so I went with the latter.

derek basically covered the big PS3 exclusives (THOUGH HE FORGOT NINJA GAIDEN SIGMA, CURSE HIM), but as far as cross-platform goes, try:

>The Orange Box (it's better on 360, but if you're ONLY getting a PS3, it's worth it)
>Call of Duty 4
>GTA IV
>The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
>BioShock (this...is coming to PS3, right? I just don't know when)
>Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (that name's right, right?) [DL]
>Soul Calibur IV
>Mercenaries 2: World in Flames

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
MotorStorm is a very boring game, unless you're the kind of person who's tickled pink by dirt physics. Also don't toss off Resistance just because it's a console FPS, especially since you're a R&C fan. Resistance = first-person R&C set in WWII

Also Everyday Shooter is the bee's knees, and is readily available on the PSN. :bee:

VF5 plays better on the PS3 (only because of the slightly superior button layout and d-pad), but it's only online on 360, so I went with the latter.

derek basically covered the big PS3 exclusives (THOUGH HE FORGOT NINJA GAIDEN SIGMA, CURSE HIM), but as far as cross-platform goes, try:

>The Orange Box (it's better on 360, but if you're ONLY getting a PS3, it's worth it)
>Call of Duty 4
>GTA IV
>The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
>BioShock (this...is coming to PS3, right? I just don't know when)
>Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (that name's right, right?) [DL]
>Soul Calibur IV
>Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
Well maybe I'll take a look at resistance then. Also I don't care terribly much about online play in fighting games because I hate lag so I'll probably go with PS3 in that case. Orange Box is out of the question, I'm already buying it for the PC, and I already have TF2 and have played Half Life 2. Great games though. CoD4 is basically the same thing. GTA 4 was on my 360 list but things are starting to be balanced out of its favor. I already have Oblivion on the PC and modded Oblivion is about a thousand times better than vanilla Oblivion. I hope to get Bioshock for my birthday on PC this weekend.

I didn't know about Street Fighter II though, that would freaking rock. I've played SC 3+4 and though I like watching high-level play I don't like to play it much. I just feel like I lack mobility. If the price drops though I might think about it. Mercenaries 2 is on my PC list, but I'd think about it for the PS3.

Thanks for the help, any other suggestions are appreciated.

Edit: Also Ninja Gaiden is always awesome, probably worth a buy.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Chief Mendez said:
Bioshock (this...is coming to PS3, right? I just don't know when)
Not only is it coming, but it's getting higher-resolution textures, a new super-hard difficulty mode, full trophy support, and downloadable challenge rooms exclusive to the PS3 version.

He doesn't like console FPSs though, so it's pretty much null. I'll probably pick it up though. :D

Chief Mendez said:
(THOUGH HE FORGOT NINJA GAIDEN SIGMA, CURSE HIM)
Crap! I didn't even know that was an exclusive, so I totally missed it while skimming the lists. Mah bad, brother, mah bad.

Add Street Fighter 4 to the list. The PS3's D-Pad is soooooo much better than the 360's it's not even funny.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
Not only is it coming, but it's getting higher-resolution textures, a new super-hard difficulty mode, full trophy support, and downloadable challenge rooms exclusive to the PS3 version.

He doesn't like console FPSs though, so it's pretty much null. I'll probably pick it up though. :D
Yeah, it isn't that I have anything against them, they're just bad:p. Nah I just can't get used to the controls. Everyone on my floor plays Halo (imagine that...) and I usually get the crap rocked out of me because I'm so used to keyboard and mouse. And I'm kind of gimped on the PC because of my laptop overheating problem, which I'm trying to solve. I think I may know the problem, I just need to open it up.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
Bioshock has been out for days, and it is amazing. Totally worth the wait.

@Puppy: Many PS3 shooters offer the option of USB K/M controls. I know UT3 does, not sure about CoD4.
Really? That's pretty awesome actually. Hell, I might actually end up shelling out the money for a PS3 seeing how a 360 is basically like getting a PC: The Sequel.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Really? That's pretty awesome actually. Hell, I might actually end up shelling out the money for a PS3 seeing how a 360 is basically like getting a PC: The Sequel.
I'd say overall the PS3 is more useful. The Blu-Ray is there if you ever need it (it's the best Blu-Ray player on the market), and I stream music and movies from my Macbook over WiFi using a handy little program called Medialink. Plus, online multiplayer is free. :D Big plus.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
I'd say overall the PS3 is more useful. The Blu-Ray is there if you ever need it (it's the best Blu-Ray player on the market), and I stream music and movies from my Macbook over WiFi using a handy little program called Medialink. Plus, online multiplayer is free. :D Big plus.
Definitely a big plus. Basic online multiplay really shouldn't cost money save for in P2P games like MMO's.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I need help in choosing a game. I want a game on the Wii with a good vs. mode so I can just do whatever when I am bored (like Brawl vs mode does). I have limited my search to Naruto Clash of Ninja Revolution 2 and Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 (the one coming soon, not the one already out). I will be playing by myself most of the time btw. Pros and cons of each title:

-CoNR2: Gameplay is good, wide selection of characters, and has Gamecube controller compatibility, but AI is pathetically easy and there is practically nobody to discuss the game with online.

-SvR: Gameplay is fun, but pathetically simple. More freedom in vs. mode, creation, added difficulty by picking a weaker character, multi-man matches (without the horrible camera), and a pretty big community. AI sucks, gameplay is glitchy, may end up sucking, not much to discuss about the game because it is so simple, and tacked on motion controls.

Could you guys help me choose a game?

derek.haines

Smash Ace
I need help in choosing a game. I want a game on the Wii with a good vs. mode so I can just do whatever when I am bored (like Brawl vs mode does). I have limited my search to Naruto Clash of Ninja Revolution 2 and Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 (the one coming soon, not the one already out). I will be playing by myself most of the time btw. Pros and cons of each title:

-CoNR2: Gameplay is good, wide selection of characters, and has Gamecube controller compatibility, but AI is pathetically easy and there is practically nobody to discuss the game with online.

-SvR: Gameplay is fun, but pathetically simple. More freedom in vs. mode, creation, added difficulty by picking a weaker character, multi-man matches (without the horrible camera), and a pretty big community. AI sucks, gameplay is glitchy, may end up sucking, not much to discuss about the game because it is so simple, and tacked on motion controls.

Could you guys help me choose a game?
CoNR2 is supposed to be one of the top fighting games on the Wii, so it'd be the one I'd go with. It's balanced, varied, and apparently alot of fun. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a community of players online, either. There's a ton of Naruto fans out there.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
CoNR2 is supposed to be one of the top fighting games on the Wii, so it'd be the one I'd go with. It's balanced, varied, and apparently alot of fun. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a community of players online, either. There's a ton of Naruto fans out there.
Okay, thanks. :)

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
If you're not dead-set on it being a fighting game, I'd recommend Boom Blox. It's probably the secondmost robust multiplayer game on Wii aside from Brawl.

Otherwise go with Naruto.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
I'm getting a PS3 on Saturday, I don't really want one though since I'm a Nintendo freak. But any must have games?

Sensai

Smash Master
You absolutely cannot afford to miss LittleBigPlanet.

Also, if you're into puzzlers, you might wanna look into Echochrome.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Yes. Yes it is.

...But only if you didn't play the PSP port, or even the original PS2 release (depending on how much you love the game, that is). If you're looking for a fun DS sRPG, Hoshigami Remix is pretty freaking awesome, as is Luminous Arc.

Sensai

Smash Master
If you're into it, Animal Crossing's a good one.

Given, you've probably wasted your life with the other two by this point, so I'm completely sympathetic for those of us who'll be passing it by.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I've only gotten the gc one and dropped it after a month. I haven't played it since then lolz.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
It depends on what you're looking for.

I haven't bought into Spore yet, so I can't really say first-hand what's up with that, but from all accounts, it's a very expansive life simulator that takes a while to really get interesting. On the other hand, I have played Guild Wars, and I can say that it's basically like any other MMO you've tried before, just with less questing and more PvP.

Also there's no monthly cost. Which was the main reason I picked it up, honestly.

SonicBoom2

Smash Journeyman
Is it good? How long will it probably last me? Can someone give me a rating?
My friends said it was good, but then again they started to play WoW after that.

Spore reminds me of the Sims, cept with aliens, and whenever I play the Sims I always have an urge to cheat. Somebody also said it was really repititive, and not in the good way.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
It'll last you however long you're willing to play an MMO. If you've never played one, I'd suggest registering for any one of the multitude of free online MMOs and seeing how you feel about that before dropping 30-40 bucks for Guild Wars.

Sensai

Smash Master
I've played Spore, but not Guild Wars. So, Chief can take the GW half and I'll take the Spore half.

Actually, hell, I'll do both halves.

Don't get Spore. It's really fairly boring. Seriously. The first 2 stages are cool but it goes absolutely poor after that. There are five stages, all of which are inferior clones of another game. At first, it's a cheap imitation of fl0w, and then it goes to a cheap wanna-be MMO if you play the game with war as your intention, otherwise it's a fully unique, albeit shallow, experience. Then it's a shoddy RTS (think Warcraft with 1 race which consists of 6 units, 3 of which are for peace making) and then a blatant rip off of the Civilization series. I couldn't play anymore; I put it down. So, the Space Age part could be cool...but I'm unsure if it's even worth the time.

The main strength of the game is that you can customize everything. Seriously. Make your guy look however you want, make the buildings look however you want, make the vehicles look however you want, etc. Pretty much anything in the game can be customized to look how you want.

It's probably a good game if you're into that whole customizing/building thing. It's alright otherwise. I would honestly recommend Guild Wars to you over Spore, without even having played the first one simply because the latter was pretty bad.

(Note: I know I sound like a raving 12 year old in this post. Sorry. But it's truly how I feel; the game was hyped up and, as one who had been following it a long time, I was truly dissapointed.)

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Has anyone played Valkyria Chronicles? It's been getting pretty positive reviews.

Frown

poekmon
I earlier asked for your advice on good non-Nintendo Wii Games.

- Battalion Wars 2
- Okami
- Zak & Wiki
- Resident Evil 4
- No more heroes

Christmas is getting closer and I'm gonna wish for nothing but Wii games this year, to make sure I get at least ONE. Can you name any other games worth playing?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I earlier asked for your advice on good non-Nintendo Wii Games.

- Battalion Wars 2
- Okami
- Zak & Wiki
- Resident Evil 4
- No more heroes

Christmas is getting closer and I'm gonna wish for nothing but Wii games this year, to make sure I get at least ONE. Can you name any other games worth playing?
- Boom Blox
- Blast Works
- de Blob
- Wario Land: Shake It!

And, if you can work with Wii Ware, I highly recommend World of Goo.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ Gates, I cannot say I'm familiar with the game. Apologies.

@ everyone who's got a decent PC and 50 dollars lying around: Get Left 4 Dead. Absolutely amazing.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Okay, so right now I'm pretty much stuck between getting either Okami for wii (I don't have a PS2) or Animal Crossing City Folk. I feel like I might be getting both of them in the long run anyway, but I'd still like to hear your opinions on this. Some information about me to help you:

-I'm kind of on a tight budget, so I'm really looking for a game that I can pour a ****load of hours into without getting bored
-Replay value is also high on the list
-I love games where I can just sit back, look at the screen and go "WTF AWESOME."
-I like building up things. Not necessarily literally, but as in accomplishing something. If a game gives me a sense of having power which I gained through my actions in the game, it's a good game for me.
-If two games are pretty much equal, and one of them is one that my 17 year old sister is likely to play as well, I'm gonna go with that one
-I do like a good plot

I realize that this is all rather subjective stuff and probably won't help much, but any advice you can give me is highly appreciated.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Okay, so right now I'm pretty much stuck between getting either Okami for wii (I don't have a PS2) or Animal Crossing City Folk. I feel like I might be getting both of them in the long run anyway, but I'd still like to hear your opinions on this. Some information about me to help you:

-I'm kind of on a tight budget, so I'm really looking for a game that I can pour a ****load of hours into without getting bored
-Replay value is also high on the list
-I love games where I can just sit back, look at the screen and go "WTF AWESOME."
-I like building up things. Not necessarily literally, but as in accomplishing something. If a game gives me a sense of having power which I gained through my actions in the game, it's a good game for me.
-If two games are pretty much equal, and one of them is one that my 17 year old sister is likely to play as well, I'm gonna go with that one
-I do like a good plot

I realize that this is all rather subjective stuff and probably won't help much, but any advice you can give me is highly appreciated.
Just go for Okami. I have both and honestly, right now it's the better choice. One, it will last for about 60 hours if you're like me and love just looking for everything in the game and it's just an asston of fun. This by no means should discourage you from buying AC it's just that you shouldn't buy it RIGHT NOW. This is because AC is sort of lame during the October/November months, things pick up a bit in the December/January months with awesome bugs/fish you can catch plus cool events but the game is at it's best during the Spring/Summer months with the most events and the greatest multitude of fish/insects you can get.

tl;dr Okami now, AC later.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Honestly I'd just skip City Folk altogether. If your sister wants a fun game to play, pick up Wild World for less than $10 on Amazon and Okami for yourself.

- If you combined all my saves of Okami, I've probably played the game for more than 100 hours. Even once you've beaten the game, there are still Demon Fangs to collect and pawn, animals to befriend, fish to catch, and secrets to find.

- Replay value...probably goes to City Folk though. For me it doesn't, but I'm a guy who played the GCN game to death, and has invested a good amount of time into Wild World as well. If you haven't played an Animal Crossing before (and I'm assuming you have not), then this is one area Okami falls short(er) in.

- Okami is full of WTF AWESOME moments. From your first Cleansing to the bosses to the simple act of running through the countryside...the game is the most beautiful one I've ever played.

- Character advancement...is maybe split. In Okami, you gain powers in a traditional manner: health and ink (magic) upgrades, new weapons, new moves, etc.. While in City Folk, you basically get new furniture.

But there's A LOT of furniture. Personally I'd go with Okami again here, since you really will feel as though you're getting stronger and stronger as you go. Also if you get off on this sort of thing, you'll love the final battle.

- It depends on what your sister likes. Okami's not a hard game by usual standards, so if she's been known to play adventure/action games, then she'll love Okami. If not, City Folk would be more her speed.

- Then you'll like Okami. City Folk has no plot anyways.

Top Bottom