• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What flavor themes lend themselves well to Mafia?

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
What books/movies/cartoons/anime do you think translate perfectly into Mafia games?

What themes would you like to see?

For videogames, I think RPGs are perfect - fleshed out party cast, multiple levels of villains, usually a great story, and maybe even a fun mechanic :3

For anime, I think Fullmetal Alchemist would be perfect!

I think police/crime dramas are great for TV shows and Movies, though the TV shows usually dont have great villains.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I was suppose to do a fma mafia. Got busy. So sad. Good themes are:

Disney movies
any kids show (literally)
any rpg

i mean anything with a protagonist, supporting chars, and a few oppositions can work. I think a better question is what themed don't go well with mafia

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Willy Wonka-based Mafia with either Charlie/Joe/Willy (GF) as Mafia, or (along the lines of Disney Pop Star Mafia's Jo-Bro townies) with every Townie being an Oompa-Loompa and the four bad children being Mafia.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I've always liked the concept that, I forgot his name, but he did the Rocissi Summer and Winter mafias on MS. Those games were actually Mafia based, and they were really good reads as well as amazing set ups.

I'm currently making a Large LoZ: WW mafia. :D

EDIT: We already psuedo did a Matrix theme with Mindscrew. Look it up.

Ronike

Smash Ace
Yu-Gi-Oh would be sick.

Or Pokemon.

Prolly both been done.

Anyone ever done a fallout flavour?

Yugioh hasn't been done. I think I'll work out a setup based on the anime next, but my next one is gonna be megaman zero when I finAlly get Internet back.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a bleach anime. God only knows there's enough characters...

Dgs would be cool too if anyone could ever run one that didn't have dumb flavor

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
tv: lost has a lot of flexibility for roles. several different setups could be made from that. futuramafia and trailer park boys would also be cool

movies: toy story has a lot of good characters

books...the ender series could work

for manga/anime monster and one pieceve already been done but theres still more in them to make a game from specially the latter. 20th century boys pluto and death note would all be pretty good. berserk could probably work well too

Clownbot

Smash Lord
We sort of had a Yu-Gi-Oh mafia with Mayling Family Mafia but a) that was private and b) I think characters were assigned roles randomly in that because Tea or w/e ended up being part of the Mafia.

EDIT: A Pokemon R/B/Y/FR/LG-based Mafia was done but I think the mod was going to possibly do one for G/S/C/HG/SS and the following generations.

@WW Mafia: Yesssssssssssssssssssssss

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Isnt there like a Death note game on the nintendo DS that is pretty much mafia anyway Lol

but yeah like anything with good guys and bad guys can be pretty easily made into a mafia game.

All i gotta say is the when my turn comes, starcraft mafia is gonna be so ****in legit. Cant wait to run that.

Oh and marshy Eor already ran a Lost Mafia setup forever ago. Pretty decent game minus the dumb town that lynched me, the guy who like killed 20 bad guys with my bare hands during one of the events and was practicly confirmed town lol

Chaco

Never Logs In
I might do a Cowboy Bebop in the future, but all I have on my plate for now is Wind Waker. I had a lot of ideas from back in the day. It should be done sometime, I'll need two to review it. Probs Xiivi.

Taco Mafia was a Xiivi setup, and was my first day back to DGames after a long while. :D <3 ZV

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
I'm thinking about hosting a mafia game in the future based off of the book Catch-22. I think that could work really well, thanks to the huge array of characters with diverse personalities that are bound to fit in with mafia roles. What do you guys think?

Also no one steal this idea please! =p

EDIT: Btw this game probably wouldn't be my first game I'll host, since this game would pretty much have to a large set up and I want to start out small.

M.K

Level 55
I am currently thinking of designing a game based around Internet Memes, called MemeMafia.

Anything, really, that has clear "protags"/"antags" really suits itself well to Mafia. However, games like this are so predictable that more devious protags could possibly also form a scum team.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Also no one steal this idea please! =p
Gurl Eor's large slot is "Eor's 22-player Catch-22 Mafia". You best quit trippin'.
[Actually it isn't but I kept telling marshy it was since it was right after Chibo's 20 player MXC & ElPadrino's 23 player StarFox.]

Ronike

Smash Ace
Anyone who says anything lends itself well to mafia obviously hasn't tried to mafiaize things like monopoly. Or flux (tho no one seems to know the card game :( )

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Anything lends itself to mafia!
I made friggin Ke$ha Mafia...and YouTube Vlogger Mafia...and Snowboard Kids Mafia...and Power Stone Mafia...NewGrounds Mafia...and don't get me started on the easy themes I've made (Sonic/DBZ/Naruto/Pokemon/etc...).

Summoner made Bear Mafia!! With the right amount of silliness and insanity, you can make anything into mafia! (Heck, look at Chaco's Taco Mafia!)

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
not everything lends itself to mafia letting you make a theme that actually makes sense

for example, some of the currently running games have a theme, but their roles have nothing to do with the source.

again, for example, the androids in DBZ made a hella awesome independent group, but two oreos in a bunch of chips ahoy as the same indy pair wouldnt be as themed...

POT AND PAN MAFIA, HOWEVER, WOULD BE AWESOME

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Maui Wowie, Independent Serial Killer, was smoked Night 1.

Okay, this is totally funny inappropriate.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I've run squaresoft games in the BBR. FF6 Mafia, CTrigger mafia, FF4 Mafia (occuring).

I'm going to be running a special game with BBR and DGames members as an invite only if I can, and it will be superhero/super villain themed.

Starcraft could be interesting for a three-faction game (protoss/zerg/terran/hybrid independent).

Two game types I thought about running (and may do in the future, but someone feel free to take it)

Minion Mafia

Everyone is a "minion". There are no heroes/villains for town, just straight up mini-bad guys. Goombas, Slimes from Dragon Warrior, Imps from Final Fantasy, Met hat from Mega man.... so on and so forth. The overall theme behind this game would be characters having abilities that were bad for them, or were good but complex. Like a bodyguard/vig that has to protect someone one day then shoot them the next, goofball restrictions like not being able to end the day with a vote on someone, so on and so forth.

Item Mafia

Everyone is an item from a popular series. This could be several series combined, or it could just be from one game. My thought was Legend of Zelda items. Boomerang could be a bus driver, bomb could be a dedicated arsonist (have to prime D1, have to ignite D2 to kill, can't switch targets) or a one-shot suicidal killer, ocarina can extend the day phase or make it go directly to night, etc. etc. Triforce pieces could be scum, or maybe stronger/weaker versions of other items. Maybe the deku shield was angry at the hyrule shield or something. Could be fun.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
The **** is gurl eor?

Also Trigun was a really convenient series to make a mafia game out of and not have blatantly obvious alignments for most characters. Believe it or not the game ran successfully without safeclaims when I hosted it here, though admittedly it probably would have been tough for the scum to wing it if they were forced to massclaim.

Vult Redux

Smash Lord
NNID
Voluero
I've been kicking around the idea of signing for a Durarara!! themed game here... haven't worked out the details just yet though...

Ronike

Smash Ace
The **** is gurl eor?

Also Trigun was a really convenient series to make a mafia game out of and not have blatantly obvious alignments for most characters. Believe it or not the game ran successfully without safeclaims when I hosted it here, though admittedly it probably would have been tough for the scum to wing it if they were forced to massclaim.
...not true. At all... We WERE majorly screwed by massclaim.

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
How about Mortal Kombat Mafia, eh?

64 characters, excluding the various story-based characters, provides a lot to choose from.

Heck, someone could make a 17-man Mortal Kombat II Mafia!

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
mortal kombat is really good

in fact, i made a game where Ermac was an INCREDIBLE role

but i will probably run it one day somewhere so cant talk ;]

people who know ermac's lore probably have a clue lol

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Lord of the rings is so awesome flavor-wise. My large game is either gonna be that, or some mind-screw style setup... :)

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
I liked some of EE's games Flavor wise.

My Sleepover games are good, but I gotta branch out of that and try on other stuff (currently I have a Dgames theme in mind...one that doesn't deal with a random convention)

Personally I join any theme game that I personally like/enjoy (Mario, sonic, Zelda, etc).

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Death Note.

Can be twisted a lot of ways; you could have Light, Misa, Takada, and Mikami for Mafia, L and Watari/Chief Yagami for Cop and Doctor.

Top Bottom