• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What does Melee have that makes it so great?

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
His taunt kills people xD

The thing I love about this game is it's speed, fluidity, combo potential, comeback potential, the epicness that it consistently produces and it's unreachable ceiling of tech skill.

Melee is just amazing.

AXE 09

Smash Master
I like Melee because of the amazing combos and awesome techskill, and I also love how offensive you can be =) camping is just boring to me.

Brawl is ok, but it's just too slow to me, and it seems like % means everything in that game. I just don't like it, but sometimes it has its moments I guess.

Of course these are all just my opinions :)

LLDL

Smash Hero
At like my 3rd tournament ever I was fighting some well known marth, I forgot his name. He was going to 3 stock me but I did some shine combo ut of desperation, and after that the people starting cheering me on, like go "falco" and "yeah, that's how it's done". I almost made a comeback, got him down to his last stock and put more percent on him than I had. Then I SD'd lol. But it's simple stuff like the crowd reactions that made me feel like I can still win, and it really did push me past what I thought I could do. This doesn't happen with any other game.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I think I love melee because the community is so fun to just chill with.

And I have a lot of unforgettable memories.

First few tournies in NJ I entered I did really well seemingly outta no where and just was a cool feeling.

Then pound 3 everyone trampled me and ****.

Fun times and all completely worth it.

Salevits

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes I think about quitting just because melee's tooo freaking hard! But I think that's rly the reason I still play it. After all these years I still feel like I'm a total rookie. It will be interesting to see if I can ever get out of these baby shoes.

That and also Melee has like.. awesome situations. All the weird stuff at the edge, like gimping and such.

Mooo

Smash Apprentice
getting gimped is like "woah **** you" but still laughter and fun, same with getting comboed and stuff like that, i love this game

Linkslapsyomama

Smash Apprentice
I like melee cause the game play is much faster but i like brawl more cause more stuff to do if brawl had the same speed as melee it would be insanely amazing the wii could not contain its awesomeness and it would melt if such an event of brawl being the same speed as melee were to occur

BEES

Smash Lord
So my question is: what aspects of melee make you want to play it more than Brawl (or other fighters)? And what do you think brawl lacks that make you think it's not as good?
the answer to both questions is the same for me: combos

Lovage

Smash Hero
i dunno, it's really hard to make a good concise post about melee without being really corny.

but there's a lot of things i really love about this game, things i usually get bored with other games for not having.

melee's really sick, i've never ever regretted the thousand of hours i've poured into it

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
I disliked melee originally and thought i would always like 64 better. My friend played shiek almost exclusively and spammed dash attack. he would beat my brother and i repeatedly even tho we had knowledge of the advanced techniques from 64. when i tried to implement these in melee i found the timing is much faster and harder, so i looked at videos of ken and pc and found myself quickly confused at what i was seeing. after researching wavedashes, moonwalking and the like i decided it was too hard so i focused on spacing and became a real MaNgO fanboy. my point is that melee seems to change based on your perception.

Dior

Smash Cadet
Melee is the best game because of its originality. No other game can ever mimic Melee and its mechanics behind it.

Zoler

Smash Ace
It's really really fast. Also I love the concept of the combos, teching, and juggling. Also edgueguards are amazing.

Who's the Gladfly?

Smash Rookie
I think the freedom in movement is amazing. But at higher levels you can choose how to invest your skill and see the play off in so many places. Even the best charcters in the game have to use a lot of mindgames and mix up how they play so much

:phone:

Chrysmos

Smash Rookie
I like Melee because other fighters usually have this 2d battle ground. In Melee I feel like I have a lot more freedom.
I like that you have to pretty much come up with your own combos instead of relying on a list.
I love the advanced mechanics in the game such as wave dashing and L-cancelling for example. The advanced mechanics make me feel like I am on a whole other gaming level compared to basic players.

beencake

Smash Apprentice
the fact that melee is the most balanced game to ever be made makes it the best game imo, and the fact that all the top tiers are so insanely close to being broken but just not quite broken, for instance if falco was even a little bit faster or had an up B that lasted a little longer hed be OP, but the games is just made perfectly.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I love how, ten years after its release, you still find new things that look funny as hell when you pause the match =D
Have you ever picked Yoshi and paused at random times whenever he does anything? So funny lmao

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
the fact that melee is the most balanced game to ever be made makes it the best game imo, and the fact that all the top tiers are so insanely close to being broken but just not quite broken, for instance if falco was even a little bit faster or had an up B that lasted a little longer hed be OP, but the games is just made perfectly.
are you kidding me? less than 50% of the cast is viable in tournament. the game is only "balanced" among the top 6 or 7 characters, with 3 or 4 others being able to keep up kinda.

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
I'd like add something else I really enjoy about this game. I like the mental aspect of this game. I've only recently really started to slow down and analyze what's going on in each situation during a match. And I go through what I know my opponent can do from his position and what he thinks I might do and try to make a prediction, then execute the move that I think will best suit the situation. I'm starting to learn more about mind games and how set people up, trick them, condition them to do a certain thing, or force them into making a mistake. There's just so much right there that it's very challenging and fun to learn (sometimes frustrating when you feel like you're not thinking fast enough or not thinking far enough ahead). I'm still not good at it and I'm at the very ground level with all this stuff, but it's fun to learn and it never gets old to me.

Beat!

Smash Master
I disagree completely. There are way more balanced games.

Also, what Strong Bad said.

Beat!

Smash Master
That doesn't contradict what I said. All I said was that Melee is far from being the most balanced game ever made.

:phone:

Top Bottom