• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think would make Smash 4 a perfect game

Revven

FrankerZ
All I want are:

Physics that allow for fast gameplay
Better character design (no meta knight nonsense for example) where fast characters aren't always the dominant character, where heavyweights have some part of their design that allows them to get in and hit hard.
Gamecube Controller support (mentioned above already) either via Nintendo officially making it available or through third party USB controller support
Less defensive play (that isn't to say it shouldn't exist at all). If you want defensive play to exist, make more characters that are actually good at playing defensive instead (i.e make Zelda a zoning type of character with magic spell/traps)
More modes that change up the gameplay, such as Tag Team mode. Less modes that just strictly focus on an item always being in effect, those are extremely boring.

Not much else I wanna say really, most people covered it already.

The most important thing Smash 4 needs is a community that is not an embarrassment.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Give everyone broken stuff so that everyone can compete Kappa and actually focus on making training mode good with a play and record fuction, DI and tech control options cause to be honest smash training mode sucked and has always sucked and make online play good cause those can go a long way for people you just have to get alot of people asking for these things and that's how TTT2 online play and training mode got really good.

Revven

FrankerZ
Give everyone broken stuff so that everyone can compete Kappa and actually focus on making training mode good with a play and record fuction, DI and tech control options and the such and online play good cause those can go a long way for people you just have to get alot of people asking for these things and that's how TTT2 online play and training mode got really good.

A good training mode would be amazing. +111111111 to this one so hard.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
1.I simply want lower barriers to entry.
Expanding the community should be a top priority. It makes us look stronger and will offer nintendo more sales.

I feel there are a couple things we can do to facilitate this.

- Character Balance: No one wants to realize that there character sucks and has to switch characters in order to remain competitive. This is a cause of stress in every game.

-Low amount of tech skill for basic competitive play: There needs to be a skill gap. It seems that some people want the skill gap to be greater melee. That is ridiculous. It should be as big as melee at the most. There needs to be separation between skilled and novice players. It was kind of cool seeing a lot more focus put onto reads in brawl. Sure melee defiantly required it, but one missed L-cancel could mean the smarter player lost. There just needs to be a great balance.

-Faster gameplay: I don't know enough about game dev. to go into detail on what makes a game seems "fast", but a lot of people seem to want this. I feel this would make the game a better spectators game.

-Comprehensive online: This should be pretty self-explanatory. Just read what everyone else says.

-More explanation of game mechanics through tutorials/official nintendo resources: Nintendo shouldn't tell us everything, but it would be nice way to introduce players into higher levels of smash gameplay. Also maybe it could help define for competitive level players what are actual AT, what was the game intended to be played like, etc...

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Scratch my air dash theory, M2K is apparently going to play test according to smashboards on twitter. I had a feeling about that too. Now I'm hype

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm going to go ahead and be the devil's advocate and say that I wouldn't want SSB4 to be the best game ever and have obvious flaws in it so that there would be things to improve upon next time around without having to reinvent the wheel.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Brawl's floatiness, but much smaller stages and boundaries.
Melee's shield.
Hitstun would be between Brawl and Melee. Edit : scratch that, Melee's hitstun.
At least an AT that would act like Brawl's platform cancel or Melee's waveland. I don't care about any other AT period.
Better netcode.
Patches.
At least one neutral-ish stage where items pop in a set location, and why not at a set timing.
Less budget spent on the 1 player things. I want Melee's arcade feeling, not Brawl's RPG wannabe thing.
Some kind of way to make sure nobody turns off the console I'm playing on.

EUROPE DOES NOT HAVE TO WAIT ONE YEAR TO PLAY THE DAMN GAME /salt

oh, and no tripping.

G3TL05T

Smash Cadet
You realize this would make the knee last like 5 years, right?
It's necessary to have higher hitstun for Melee combos.

Ability to turn on and off hazards so that more stages would be tournament capable. Easy menu like in Project M.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
1.I simply want lower barriers to entry.
Expanding the community should be a top priority. It makes us look stronger and will offer nintendo more sales.

I feel there are a couple things we can do to facilitate this.

- Character Balance: No one wants to realize that there character sucks and has to switch characters in order to remain competitive. This is a cause of stress in every game.

-Low amount of tech skill for basic competitive play: There needs to be a skill gap. It seems that some people want the skill gap to be greater melee. That is ridiculous. It should be as big as melee at the most. There needs to be separation between skilled and novice players. It was kind of cool seeing a lot more focus put onto reads in brawl. Sure melee defiantly required it, but one missed L-cancel could mean the smarter player lost. There just needs to be a great balance.

-Faster gameplay: I don't know enough about game dev. to go into detail on what makes a game seems "fast", but a lot of people seem to want this. I feel this would make the game a better spectators game.

-Comprehensive online: This should be pretty self-explanatory. Just read what everyone else says.

-More explanation of game mechanics through tutorials/official nintendo resources: Nintendo shouldn't tell us everything, but it would be nice way to introduce players into higher levels of smash gameplay. Also maybe it could help define for competitive level players what are actual AT, what was the game intended to be played like, etc...

*Controller: I'm not concerned about what type of controller I will use for smash 4. I would love to know if they are devloping a controller that won't cause sync problmes at tournaments.

Oasys17

Smash Apprentice
Comparative to melee: High skill ceiling, fast gameplay/decision making, advanced techniques that are somewhat manually difficult to do, decent character balance(Maybe like 12-16 viable tournament winning characters instead of the current 8), more characters with niches. We could use more stages that are both creative, but don't have anything gamebreaking or highly random on them. Yoshi's and stadium are good examples of this. FoD is not. :p

Aside from that: Solid online play ofc, gamecube controller support PLEASE, a good/very customizable training mode would be very helpful, and yeah, community input. If we find something overly gamebreaking, the creators should be able to patch it and attempt to fix it instead of us just having discussions whether or not to ban it. So, active patching would be nice... Let's see... That might be it for now. I'll edit this later perhaps ^^

Kokomaniac

Smash Journeyman
-no tripping
-slightly faster based gameplay (no more ganondorfs and bowsers being fat and taking up the whole screen and moving .01 cm/day)
-revamped online experience. I'm talking less lag (if possible), customizable lobbies with customizable rules, and ladder systems that run with some sort of ELO based system or something that has the set tourney rules. This sort of thing is what encourages people to play the game. Nowadays, bad online + limited SP experience = unpopular game
-get rid of grab release/infinite shenanigans. Maybe they can manifest themselves in a new form and maybe chain grabs can stay to a certain extent but I don't think a certain few characters should be ultra gimped for no reason (I'm certainly not biased or anything e_e)
-wired controllers. This is sort of important for competitiveness.
-normalize grab ranges a little bit. Some characters have pitifully awful grabs and not really the grab game to back that up <----high risk low reward. I don't think characters should be pigeonholed into not using a certain portion of their skills but that speaks a lot more to just game balance as a whole

TreK

Is "that guy"
*Controller: I'm not concerned about what type of controller I will use for smash 4. I would love to know if they are devloping a controller that won't cause sync problmes at tournaments.
This idea has been brought a lot already but... What about petitionning Madcatz ?
USB customizable high quality gamecube pads... Now we're talking !
I'm pretty sure I wouldn'tt be the only one willing to put 150+ $ in such a pad. Not to mention Madcatz are console players, aka homies, and EVO sponsors.

SaggyG

Smash Cadet
FoD is not. :p
I disagree completely. FoD is fine. I think we need to focus on getting rid of over-the-top levels such as Brinstar Depths. I think the platforms moving in FoD adds more depth to strategy with combos, it's just that nobody has learned to use it properly.

tarextherex

Smash Apprentice
Imo Brawl was pretty fine gameplay wise but first and foremost buffered powershields should be removed so shielding won't be as stupid. This is by far Brawl's biggest problem aside from the ledge and character specific bull****. I think the way people thought simply adding back the Melee mechanics to make Brawl less defensive is wrong, I mean Brawl's gameplay is honestly a lot smoother and intuitive than Melee, and that's thanks to the lower gravity among other things. Brawl being more defensive is mostly due to the shield bull**** that should be fixed

From that point onwards, then you can just put the best sides of all smash games. I don't think the ledge should be nerfed THAT much though, I mean, unless you're like mk or gw or something, being offstage is a very weak position in Brawl, you might not lose your stock easily like in Melee but you'll get punished pretty hard for it

Then, you can add stuff that would be new to Smash. The one thing I have from the top of my head would be improving the powershield system, for exemple instead of simply shielding in time, you would have to do another action, like releasing the shield button in time or something. Maybe even add an «advancing guard» type of effect to powershielding. Most new gameplay mechanics will prob feel similar to other fighting games, but the ones people usually have in mind(air dashes and airgrabs) aren't good for Smash imo. Yes, they bring new options, but tbh they could just to more creative tweaks to character movesets to they get more options, more cancelable moves is a great exemple. After all, Smash is famous for it's characters. They could even add meter and balanced final smashes that would be suitable for competitive play. It isn't as necessary as the other stuff mentionned above but it still wouldn't hurt.

Oasys17

Smash Apprentice
I disagree completely. FoD is fine. I think we need to focus on getting rid of over-the-top levels such as Brinstar Depths. I think the platforms moving in FoD adds more depth to strategy with combos, it's just that nobody has learned to use it properly.
It's a personal john of mine; I hate that stage with a passion. It's not really just the platforms moving, it's the density of them(they're really close together) AND the fact that they move AND the stage is small. *shrugs* put those together and that stage is nightmarish Imo. But I suck, so it's not like it's common consensus.

M@v

Subarashii!
-No tripping

-Much better online, I suggest ranked ladders for both 1v1 no items (for the crowd like us) and ffa items ladder (for the casual/mario party like crowd). Before you say LOL ladder points with items is stupid, look at mario kart wii. Worked there, didn't it?

- The main problem with brawl is that Brawl's defensive options are way too over powered. Make tweaks to give more balance. More hitstun would be the biggest change I can think of off the top of my head. I would say melee level is pretty good, but a little more or less I suppose would work. Testing would be the best way to figure it out. Perhaps shield nerfs and ledge invincibility nerfs would help too, or cut out auto sweet spots.

-Keep Brawl air dodge, auto-canceling over l canceling Im up in the air with. I think auto-cancelling is fine IMO, but I know some disagree with me.

-Balance the characters around 1v1 no items, and then add items and balance them around the work done with the character balance. This should make the game have quality balance both in serious matches and casuals.

-Bring back stages from all three previous smash games, maybe 2 competitive oriented and 2 casual like ones per game (ex. 64 Dreamland, hyrule, and saffron/ yoshi's)

-Patch and DLC support

As a side note: Stop crying for gamecube support. Its not going to happen. Nintendo has never supported 2 previous generations minus the virtual console. Neither has any other manufacturer for that matter. Get used to the classic pro controller or the wii u pro controller. The Wii u Pro controller is REALLY nice btw; you should try it. Also it gives you more buttons to work with.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
I'm curious to know how they're going to go about taking his opinions. Like I'm not saying they won't trust him, but will Ninten really lean that heavily towards the competitive side?

This isn't Capcom asking us "What needs to be in our next competitive game"; it's Ninten asking us "What would you competitive gamers like ADDED to what we've already got going?"

That means they'll probably make small adjustments in the gameplay or character balance. Patchable updates, DLC, them being responsible for "expanding" or making a "stronger" community is a bit far fetched IMO.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Scratch my air dash theory, M2K is apparently going to play test according to smashboards on twitter. I had a feeling about that too. Now I'm hype
If that happens that's cool but please we need more playtesters that are actual players who are not M2K TBH to put multiple inputs instead of just one. Also If they purposely put some AT in the game like L-/Z- canceling make a video for the game in the files like the how to play videos in the games explaining those said AT so it can dispel some believes that they are glitches and stuff like that and also add a turn off stage effects option for the game in versus mode so we can see more stages in competitive play.

Edit: Also if they put tripping in the next game please dont make it random and have it only for the banana peel and for certain moves for some characters at tip range of that move so you can get a followup for it but allow a tech window for tripping.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
-online that works
-faster gameplay
-even mix of character weights/falling speeds
-even mix of character playstyles
-character balance (not that Nintendo could really do this deliberately even if they tried)
-viably quick moves even on slower characters
-A decent number of non-gimmicky stages
-fluid mobility (can't really say they'll reintroduce wavedashing but at least keep edge cancelling and maybe add some other mechanic)
-**dash-dancing**
-useful techniques which dash-cancel
-a variety of throws, some of which combo and some of which kill
-an option to turn off randomly exploding item containers
-do more with super armor mechanics
-satisfying sound effects particularly on powerful moves
-maintain/expand the freedom to customize music like in Brawl
-A 1P-mode that's basically a platformer (difficulty roughly average for a Mario game) with smash mechanics (in addition to more traditional game modes)
-Stamina mode with adjustable damage amounts
-viable tether recoveries
-viable tether grabs
-bring back Brawl Battlefield, Smashville, Melee FoD, and 64 Dream Land, Saffron City and Hyrule Castle, as well as another rendition of FD
-variety of static AND moving platform arrangements on stages (I've always wanted a Melee Pokemon Stadium without the stage transformations)
-variety of blast zone sizes and possibly even different shapes
-variety of controller options (ideally some way to use the GC controller) and the button customization system from Brawl
-the first nametag entered goes to the TOP of the list unlike in Brawl where the first person who entered a name (probably the owner) had to scroll all the way down to find it
-decrease in loading times from Brawl

M@v

Subarashii!
I'm curious to know how they're going to go about taking his opinions. Like I'm not saying they won't trust him, but will Ninten really lean that heavily towards the competitive side?

This isn't Capcom asking us "What needs to be in our next competitive game"; it's Ninten asking us "What would you competitive gamers like ADDED to what we've already got going?"

That means they'll probably make small adjustments in the gameplay or character balance. Patchable updates, DLC, them being responsible for "expanding" or making a "stronger" community is a bit far fetched IMO.
Its really not hard to make smash work competitively and casually. Just balance the characters based on a 1v1 no items setting, and then add the items in and base them around the existing character balance. If you have patch support, you can fix any major balance issues that are discovered.

Then for stages, you make about the half the stages basic layouts, and the other half super funky/intricate. Awesome backgrounds for all of them though please :3

Sylin Mino

Smash Rookie
Sakurai's a smart guy--if the playtesters point it out, he'll realize that random tripping is bad (if he hasn't realized already--he does listen to feedback). I'm also confident he'll listen to such dedicated Smash fans such as Mew2King who have proven that they only want what's best for the series. There are many ways in which it can get fixed, and many ways in which it can move forward.

Better online will almost definitely happen--check out Kid Icarus Uprising's online--that was fantastic. Ensuring that it works well for Smash 4 is a must, and I have high hopes for it.

More hitstun would be great, but what would be even more awesome is having it move-dependent. Light jabs? Hardly any. Getting hammered by an up-smash? A good amount of it.
EDIT: Actually, I have no idea which is better--if it's move-dependent or not. Whatever makes the game feel more balanced, really.

As for wavedashing? Nah, I don't think it's clever to put something back in that would manipulate the physics like that. Wavedashing was nice for competitive play, but perhaps they could actually put something DELIBERATELY in there to add to the pace of the game, that way they can balance that so it feels extremely natural with the game. Just some more mobility options are great.

As for wired vs. wireless controllers, I unfortunately don't expect controllers to be wired--I'm hoping the new controllers for Wii U work on more optimized protocols so that interference is hardly even there (if that's possible).

No need to put back L-cancels (just an opinion). (I think it makes a bit more natural sense when landing mid-aerial gets punished by landing lag, but that's just me. In my play, I've found that the added depth L-cancels bring is replaced by a different layer of depth by carefully timing aerials in conjunction with hitting the ground/platform).

Gravity in 64 was too week. In Melee, it was a bit too strong. In Brawl, once again, it got a bit too weak. I'm hoping to see a fantastic balance of it in this next game that addresses how each previous game played.

Completely revamped ledge mechanics, more moves designed purely to safely poke shields, increase game speed by 20%, universal up-B recovery nerfs, reduce the momentum many characters retain when using projectiles, no tripping, change throw knockbacks so chaingrabs aren't an option, -slightly- more hitstun, add more super armor moves, give characters more mobility options (largely through move cancels such as canceling Ike's side-B into a jump).
I love this quote. The rest of Brawl fixes/things that have been around since the series' inception should involve this.

Now, here's the thing: to all of you who are saying that they should just make it like Melee with more stages and characters, enough. I like Melee a lot--I also like Brawl a lot. But I don't want to be playing the same game for 16+ years if I have the choice. Let's see the series move forward, no?

So, as for sweet improvements and added layers of depth to further improve the metagame, let's see a few things happen:

1. In both Melee and Brawl, most slow characters would be left in the dust while one or two became very capable (for Melee is was Ganon, for Brawl it was Dedede and Snake). Let's add options that make big and bulky characters more capable alongside the fast ones! I have no idea what these options should be, but look out for them!

2. More aerial options. What about options that allow you to grab other characters in the air? How about more combo power in the air for characters so that they can grapple to each other and then start engaging in the air?

3. Balance is key. All three Smash Bros. games have relatively great balance, but all have their issues (such is bound to happen when they involve such diverse character rosters). It's near impossible for there to be perfect balance, but perhaps there should be patches involved. Perhaps they should be weary that there should be no character that loses to EVERYONE (but rather, if perfect balance is impossible, that every character has his or her fair set of good matchups).

ONE MORE EDIT: On air dodging--look, I don't mind Brawl's air dodges, but add some more depth to it so that those have an advantage over Melee's. Something like more tactical aerial play that wouldn't be possible with air dodges that can only be done once.

Dully

Smash Rookie
The best thing to happen to smash 4 is to not make it a party game. All focus should be directed towards the competitive edge the community itself has created for the game. This will make it different from the first three installments in the smash series since it won't be party game at all.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Obvious stuff:

tripping removal, ledge overhaul (even melee' is really bad, but no one abuses it tbh)

Personal thoughts:

- characters need to die a lot earlier than they do in brawl... there are a lot of ways to achieve that, but you could start with smaller stage boundaries.

- character balance and playtesting need to be a higher priority -- no **** like zss' jab just not working, rob footstool infinites, or samus not being able to pummel bowser, please.

- personally i hate tether grabs. they're never balanced, always broken or bad.

JuanTendo

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssb-juantendo
3DS FC
2750-1216-1018
Switch FC
SW 3345 4602 0138
melee mechanics, as for gravity id like to see it somewhere between melee and brawl, good online, more balanced characters, all stages and characters from all of the previous games and then a bunch of new ones.

ParanoidFox

Smash Rookie
Essential points:

-Melee was a really fun game due to the fast chaotic gameplay. It encouraged players to go all out on each other instead of just camping on opposite ends waiting for the other person to attack first. Although it may prove harder for new players, they should honestly bring back Melee's physics and techniques. No auto-sweet spotting or tripping, just pure fast gameplay. If new players are going to learn Super Smash Bros, they might as well get used to the faster engine instead of a slower version.

-Do not kill the casual side of gameplay, but do not kill the casual side either. Super Smash Bros is a game played by a huge audience whether it be older or younger players. Casual playing is great at parties or when hanging out with friends while competitive is more rewarding and gives bigger thrills from good matches. By having something like an options menu where it can switch from "Beginner mode" (brawl gameplay) versus normal mode, it could help bridge the gap between the games. If players want to stick with Brawl physics and mechanics, they can, but for those like us who enjoy the competition, they should certainly let room for us to grow.

(I'll add more when I think about them)

Specifics:

-Bring back L-Cancelling (except maybe tell players about it so that more people can use it)
-Air dodging
-Make ledge guarding risky and rewarding
-Make getting back onto the stage harder
-Gamecube controller support (not happening unfortunately)
-No tripping
-More hitstun for combos
-Official resources for competitive playing (like maybe an official Nintendo manual for techniques)
-"Beginner mode" (Brawl mechanics such as no hitstun, ledge clipping, easier recovery, etc. Can be turned on from options)
-A+B attacks (one more mechanic wouldn't hurt)
-Keep intro animations when beginning a match
-Bring back N64/Melee/Brawl stages
-Power shielding a bit harder
-Making the "C-Stick" register even when not completely returned to the neutral position (not sure what the "C-Stick" will be on new controllers)
-Better online and a ranking system to match people with similar skill levels
-Online option customization instead of an unchangeable 2 minute 4 player free for all brawl

Although I seem like a Melee fanboy, I really do love Brawl. I think overall it's the best Super Smash Bros game to date with a killer soundtrack, awesome levels, great characters, and so much content. However the main element of the game is gameplay and that's where Melee ultimately succeeds in my opinion. The bad thing about games nowadays is that everything is becoming easier and the grinding gameplay is going away. For instance take Super Monkey Ball, it used to be a pretty hardcore game, but lately they made it virtually have no challenge anymore. The same, unfortunately, happened to Super Smash Bros Brawl, being more geared towards the casual crowd.

My opinion is just sticking with the fast fun gameplay. As much time it takes to learn Brawl mechanics, the same time could be used for training new players for harder faster gameplay like Melee. In fact even a lot of casual players enjoy Melee too, and a lot enjoy Brawl. The main concern with Sakurai is that since Super Smash Bros is a game played by all ages, people shouldn't be discouraged because they keep losing. Obviously we know that some people dislike losing more so than others (when talking about a younger crowd) so separating those who play for fun at parties or groups versus those who play in competitions and utilize techniques would alleviate the problem. Possibly an online ranking system could fix that.

Changing the game by making landing animations quicker isn't going to solve much because very much how brawl has little hit stun, it will encourage camping because someone could land an aerial and immediately back away. I like L-Cancelling because honestly it's a really fun technique to execute and it's up to the player's skill to incorporate it or not. In casual playing, people like to attack people off-guard, but in competitive play, pros are harder to get at because they're fast with the skill they've achieved. Removing that will just kill the casual side by making it harder for them.

Sylin Mino

Smash Rookie
The best thing to happen to smash 4 is to not make it a party game. All focus should be directed towards the competitive edge the community itself has created for the game. This will make it different from the first three installments in the smash series since it won't be party game at all.

Not exactly. I'd like to see it appeal to both. Give the competitive community to competitive and high-skill depth they need. However, don't make the game too serious. I love competitive Smash, but damn I also love playing a casual game with my friends. In 1v1's, I go for the ultimate level of competition (standard stages, no items), but in 4 player free for alls, I and many others prefer the option to have the ultimate level of chaos (varied stages, items, etc.).

Making it exclusively competitive doesn't do the series justice--however, there is a perfect balance that can be found, where the party/casual players get all they want, and the competitive players get the skill-based, offense-rewarding, extremely deep, balanced game that they want.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
As a side note: Stop crying for gamecube support. Its not going to happen. Nintendo has never supported 2 previous generations minus the virtual console. Neither has any other manufacturer for that matter. Get used to the classic pro controller or the wii u pro controller. The Wii u Pro controller is REALLY nice btw; you should try it. Also it gives you more buttons to work with.
plus mayflash if you really want your GC controllers
plus you can customize buttons if they keep that from brawl

Rykard

Smash Ace
1) Training mode that actually allows you to practice against things such as tech rolling, shield grabbing (for spacing purposes), etc.
2) Keep the brawl mechanics of power-shielding non-projectile moves so that there is no knockback or shieldstun and bring back melee power-shielding against projectlies so that reflecting stuff back is always an option. This should also still be difficult enough to do so that projectile based characters don't get completely shut down by the mechanic
3) Make shine be jump cancelable again but 2-4 frames instead of 1 so that shield pressure isn't as safe. Also allow fox and falco to retain momentum after their Up-B unlike in brawl when you just sort of stop and fall. Also make Side B more punishable like in melee
4) Allow for greater music customization meaning that once you have all the tracks, you should be able to use whatever you want on any stage rather than just certain select ones for each stage
5) Allow you to save multiplayer settings so that you can have the default be stock matches, timer on, friendly fire on etc. instead of having to go in and set it every single time.
6) Make it so that down on the c-stick (if gamecube controller compatibility is a thing) does not mean you automatically fast-fall when it is possible to do so (this is seriously one of the most obnoxious things i remember from brawl)
7) adjust Nana's AI so that she throws the way a level 9 computer would so that hand-offs are only possible near a ledge like melee
8) Allow Bowser to have 4 possible throw options (up, down, left, right) after landing his koopa claw
9) Remove the instant ledge grab mechanics during an Up B and allow you to act sooner out of grabbing the ledge like in 64 and Melee
10) Bring back melee's grapple mechanic so that it doesn't automatically track the ledge and can work on walls
11) Allow for characters who have a grab that is a grapple like Link and Samus to grab airborne opponents like in 64
12) Similarly, reduce the startup on samus's grab so she can actually shield grab
13) make a character's shield actually make sense in proportion to their body so that melee Mr. Game & Watch syndrome doesn't ever occur
14) Either bring back the ability to jump cancel a grab or make running grabs suck less
15) Keep brawl's pivoting mechanics so that you can pivot grabs and do forward b-airs out of a pivoted dash. also keep the 1 frame of turn around where you are standing like in melee so that you can pivot forward smashes and other things
16) Remove Link's "catching his boomerang" animation so that it doesnt get in the way of him performing other actions or make it not last as long (I mean, it does technically make sense for him to need to catch it, but it is really annoying)
17) Allow characters like Pikachu to be able to sweet spot their up-b's from above like in Melee (I'm pretty sure you couldn't do this in brawl but correct me if i'm wrong)
18) More team color options other than just red, green, and blue

Other things I want someone else's opinion on but think might be beneficial:
- Make the invincibility on rolling and spot dodges normalized so that they are all equally good and equally punishable (It always confused me in melee why Bowser's had to suck and Fox and Falco's were really quick)
- Make it so that all characters can grab the ledge backwards instead of being characters specific (I honestly think this makes sense and was glad it was in brawl)
- Implement more super-armor on the big fighters so that they can handle quicker ones better

MWEX

Smash Apprentice
Inspired from 64: L-Cancel and Taunt Cancel
Inspired from Melee: Wavedashing, Mewtwo, and Roy (Give him a unique moveset)
Inspired from Brawl: Ability to make our own character textures and changes with more characters.

Things not wanted: Bad Online play (HAVE SERVERS IN AMERICA), Make recoveries too easy like Brawl, and definitely tripping

Things I hope to see: An option to have melee style (Like melee's wavedashing and L-cancel and air dodge) or brawl's style (brawl's competitve style and air dodge), an adapter that nintendo makes for gc controllers so everyone won't whine, Better online, have competitive favorite stages and casual favorite stages (Temple should be gone), Melee speed, Balanced characters, new movesets for brawl newcomers, Roy (Give him a unique moveset), Mewtwo, new characters from the other franchises (Shadow from the Sonic the hedgehog series, Megaman, and Isaac from Golden Sun, Chrom from Fire Emblem), Updated looks and moveset on the cast(Generations Sonic, Galaxy Mario, Dark Moon Luigi, Return to Dreamland Kirby, Dedede, and MetaKnight, Fire Emblem Awakening Marth, Roy, and Chrom). Powershielding reflects still, JC'able grabs, Pivot Grab, DACUS, better AI to make it feel like the cpu learns from the mistakes its made, Save multiplayer setting so it isn't just items that are off or the stage selections, and customizable controls.

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
One thing I think would be awesome, specifically pertaining to online play (assuming they fix it and get good, lagless online), would be a competitive lobby and a casual lobby. This would be something you chose when you went into the online menu.

BlackDr.Mario

Smash Cadet
No trips
Hitstun +1
Wavedash still (implying airdodge system)
*For Zelda/Sheik: An option to remove transform for those who dont use it. Possibly another move in its place as a side option.
DLC!!!! I want my Dr. Mario back!!!!!!! Adding more characters and new ones too would be great for defining skill and yet adding a mixup for matchup types
*For Toon Link: His Up+B need more range!! (Or reinstate the chain to wall + Up+B recovery)

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
• No tripping
• Option to move the footstool command to another button.
• Items spawn points would be nice (initially thought Brawls BF's circles were for that on release day)
Well actually a bunch of Project M stuff would go here... But still

• Melee Hitstun
• Bring back Samus' Extender
• Powershielding that DOES work (proyectlie reflect)
• Discard Brawl airdodge.
• Something to make the game sort of fast paced/ less lame/ more offensive oriented.
• Looking out for Jab/tilt locks on walls and playtest...
• USB or "wired" controllers...

hectohertz

Smash Ace
online that's as close to live play as possible (with the ability to have friends, a good matchmaking system, lobbies, being able to set the ****ING GAME TYPE)

wavedashing and all other movement mechanics from melee (plus the ones from P:M, those are cool too)
all characters from melee as close to carbon copies as possible
a deep technical game like melee, not catered to casuals like brawl
level editor
controller mapping
saveable replays
saving settings like team attack on, 4 stock, 8 min timer
crew battle mode
detailed stat collection and saving
no bull**** like tripping, finals smashes, cinematic hyper combos, etc (or if they're there, allow them to be turned off)
no moves or reduced number of moves that incorporate randomness (turnip pull, luigis misfire, g+w judgement hammer, etc)
port priority eliminated
neutral start automatic independent of who's in what port
FAST PLAY like melee (or faster)
a well balanced punish game (not too strong like 64 where every hit is a 0-death, and not too weak like brawl where a 3-hit combo is a phenomenon)
on screen combo counters and announcements like marvel
reduction of gliding mechanics and other super OP recovery techniques
importation of custom textures
stage striking ala P:M
ledge invincibility balanced to make planking not a viable strategy
a unification of spikes: either all spikes should be meteor cancellable, or none should be.
balance. balance balance balance.

extensive playtesting by competitive players so that things like 0-death grab releases and chaingrabs that eliminate half the cast aren't a thing.

Aerial attacks automatically have low lag. L canceling is a dumb technical requirement

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
A few things I had in my mind.

-No Tripping
Self-explanatory, especially random tripping.

-Each character to have their own good and bad matchups, and good and bad stages, at least 2 (or 3) each per character.
Each character in the roster should have at least 2 (or 3) bad matchups, but not severely impossible, like the issue Ganon had with like against ICs and Olimar. At the same time, each character should have their own fair share of good matchups. Also, each character should have their own share of good and bad stages, and not be good on every stage. *looks at MK*
This overall gives even the worst characters better chances than what they had going for in Brawl. So even if they are terrible, they still have some matchups that they're great at, and stages that they're quite effective on, which adds a bit more balance compared to Brawl of course.
Honestly this ties to making characters more balanced, as a topic that is.

-For fun item users, nerf the fan (as said before)
In Brawl, it was like only Marth's Up-B was able to break free from the evil spammable fan. So nerf it. That's for those who like to enjoy items from time to time.

-Fixing most disjointed hitboxes, knockback, and priorities in some character moves.
This mostly pertained to Snake's U-tilt, and MK's tornado. Some moves themselves were OP'd, and I mean over the line. Snake U-tilt with broken range, great killing power, and quite spammable which made it very effective, and we all already know how irritating the tornado is.
Honorable mention to D3's little D-throw, which has a fixed knockback enabling him to CG the majority of characters at any %, not to mention it's very easy to perform.

-Gamecube controller compatible
Self-explanatory, and I myself am a GCC player.

-Better Wifi
Self-explanatory, again.

-Less advantages when on the ledge
Others have already explained about the broken ledge game and ledge play. As a Pit user, I do get some advantages from relying on the ledge a lot, but it personally is boring playing this way all the time, not to mention that MK gets a greater advantage by doing this. Coincidentally, it was a MK user named Plank that made the Ledge Grab Limit rule exist iirc (See Plank's matches at Axis Gaming).
But yea, nerf the ledge game please.

-Longer replay capabilities
3 minutes is a great start, but I feel that 7-8 minutes would help better whenever we have our competitive matches, especially helpful to those who are unable to acquire the hacks (when looking back at brawl), such as myself.

-Greater FC capacity than 64
Self-explanatory. 64 just isn't enough. At least the 3ds had 100.

The most important thing Smash 4 needs is a community that is not an embarrassment.
Had to quote that because it is true. Plenty of jerks and such kinda made the brawl community bad in some cases. We need a more mature community as a whole, overall.

Pretty sure I'll be bashed eventually.

Top Bottom