• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you prefer to be called by?

Vts

Smash Champion
Just curious if i'm part of a friends who like to be called by our gamer tags instead of our real names.

I don't mind being called by my real name but when people don't pronounce it right it bugs me.

btw my real name is Hunter. They mispronounce it by leaving the T out, so annoying.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
****ing hate it when people forget the space in my name

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Everyone calls me Sinji in Jamaica since Jan. 2009. My real name is of no importance to man kind.

NNID
dansalvato
If you're trying to get my attention, please don't go "Hey, Internet Explorer."

Who else do you call by their first and last name, huh? Internet's fine. Or Explorer.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I call just about everyone by their gamer tag with the exceptions of like... certain people in the Toronto scene. Whether I call them by first name or not has pretty much... nothing to do with how close I am to them. It usually depends on which one is faster, more convenient to say, whether we have multiples with the same first name, and how cool the name is.

DualCats

Smash Ace
A lot of people call me "Cats" because it's mostly how I've introduced myself to other smashers. People always have puns for me and I have regretted having this username since I registered here.

People in AZ tend to refer to me as "that f****t dualcats" and I am completely okay with that.

Seifersythe

Smash Apprentice
It usually depends on how I met them. If it's someone I met through the gamer community I tend to use their tag, it just kinda sticks in my head.

Chamberlain is the exception, seeing as how I lived with him for three years.

Honestly, I like using and being called by my tag. It's a special connection that I like to reinforce.

Also, you type like a 16 year old girl, Hunner.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Shrouded is perfect. My real name is also fine.

So are "Sweetie Pie Snookums," or, "Princess Sparkle Buttercup Frosted Glades," both of which are reserved for close affiliates of mine.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Both, at the same time.

In the Danish Smash community, everyone just goes by their real name when we meet in person. We get kind of weirded out when everyone in EU tournaments call people from their local scene by their online names. Even Aniolas and Armada (brothers) do it when they talk to each other >_>

stelzig

Smash Lord
In the Danish Smash community, everyone just goes by their real name when we meet in person.
Not entirely true. We usually go by the "which one is faster, more convenient to say" thing that KK mentioned. For most people it is usually their real name, but I think i've used both for every member in our community.

As for myself... I really don't care which people use.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Yeah, there are exceptions, but generally it just feels weird for me to say "Eagle" or "Navn" or "King Funk" to people I've known for years.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Not entirely true. We usually go by the "which one is faster, more convenient to say" thing that KK mentioned. For most people it is usually their real name, but I think i've used both for every member in our community.

As for myself... I really don't care which people use.
Is there anyone in Denmark we don't call by their real name? Aside from obviously "Jonas" and Oskar". :troll:

Armada

Smash Lord
Both, at the same time.

In the Danish Smash community, everyone just goes by their real name when we meet in person. We get kind of weirded out when everyone in EU tournaments call people from their local scene by their online names. Even Aniolas and Armada (brothers) do it when they talk to each other >_>
I mix up between "Alex" "Ani" and "Aniolas". I don't know how other people feel but I have no problem with useing nicknames. A lot of people out of this commuity have things people call them even if they not see it as a nickname.

I know in my friend group in highschool and Im the one that people say the first name to (most of the time). The other ones pretty much never get called their first name :p

Jonas

Smash Champion
I mix up between "Alex" "Ani" and "Aniolas". I don't know how other people feel but I have no problem with useing nicknames. A lot of people out of this commuity have things people call them even if they not see it as a nickname.
Ok I may have come like I was judging you for it or something, which wasn't my intention. It just seems weird to me because of what I'm used to :)

And yeah, nicknames are common, so I shouldn't be too surprised by it, but I think there's a difference between a nickname that you've "earned" among friends and an alias that you've come up with as your online name or gamer tag. It's not uncommon for people to use their nicknames as their gamer tag though.

stelzig

Smash Lord
Armada: Yeh, there's nothing wrong with it. Just kinda surprised some of us when aniolas adressed you from a distance. I suppose it isn't *that* weird when everyone else in the evironment calls you by that name though :)
Dew, Abild, occasionally Tomber and Kukzzzz. Can't think of others.
Coco, MINI

(thias)

Armada

Smash Lord
Ok I may have come like I was judging you for it or something, which wasn't my intention. It just seems weird to me because of what I'm used to :)

And yeah, nicknames are common, so I shouldn't be too surprised by it, but I think there's a difference between a nickname that you've "earned" among friends and an alias that you've come up with as your online name or gamer tag. It's not uncommon for people to use their nicknames as their gamer tag though.
No problem man!
Yeah I understand it can sound a bit weird :p
Im used to mix up between them though so for me it feels right to do it. But yeah I can see a difference between a nickname you have earn and one you came up with. Well I guess most people prefer what they are used to.

I always use nickname to people I don't know well or if I think it sounds better
I mix up if I know the person well and if it feels good to do it :p

Stelzig: Yeah that's ture. Personally I don't care if people call me Adam or Armada cause I like both

Beat!

Smash Master
I don't really care if people call me by my gamer tag or by my real name.

When it comes to what I call others by, though, it's a bit different. I don't have any problem calling people by their gamer tag when I first meet them/when I don't know them that well, but after knowing them for a while it starts feeling more and more weird to not call them by their real name, unless EVERYONE calls them by their gamer tag.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I applaud people when they pronounce my name correctly without me telling them. :embarrass:

Biglard

Smash Journeyman
My family, friends and schoolmates call me Biglard. So does the smash community, even though I've not been to a lot of tournaments so far.

Only my coworkers call me by my real name. Well, some of them actually, most of them call me "trainee", haha.

Renth

Smash Hero
I call everyone by their smash name, Once I get to know someone or am friends with them I typically call them by their real name. It's like a respect thing to me or something I dunno. I don't care what people call me literally. Anything.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
Generally, the better someone knows me the more they use my real name, but I mean.

Boat Mode

:phone:

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Guess it really depends on how close I am to the person addressing me. I guess for random smashers I like to be called G.Vice or Vice, and even sometimes as a close friend. Most the time people call me Zane though.

Actually, seem to use them interchangeably. If it's smash related, they call me Vice, if it's something outside of smash they seem to call me Zane. Seems appropriate to me.

Blu

Smash Apprentice
No one has called me Blu except for a few guys at my only tournament attendance. I still don't respond immediately to it yet, so people end up using Matt. =p

Top Bottom