• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do they Mean? // An Analysis of Pokemon Names

Darkslash

Smash Master
Caterpie #009(CA-ter-pe)

Carterpie names originates from the word Caterpillar. It could *according to the anime* also come from the sound that it makes "pie"(Pei)

Metapod #010(Me-TA-pod)

Metapod name come's from the word Metamorphosis(changing from one thing into another) and pod.

Butterfree#011(Bu-TER-free)

Butterfree name comes from Butterfly and Free, now that it can fly, and have some powerful moves to boot.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Venonat (Vehn-oh-nat) #048

A combination of "veno", short for venom, and "nat", which is a reference to a gnat, a name for many small insects.

Sandshrew (Sand-shroo) #027

Its name uses "sand", a substance commonly associated with ground -- Sandshrew's type -- and "shrew", a type of small rodent, which Sandshrew resembles.

Sandslash #028

The name combines "sand", like its pre-evolution, which is associated with its type, ground. It also combines the word "slash", a type of attack using claws like Sandslash's.

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
Caterpie #009(CA-ter-pe)

Carterpie names originates from the word Caterpillar. It could *according to the anime* also come from the sound that it makes "pie"(Pei)

Metapod #010(Me-TA-pod)

Metapod name come's from the word Metamorphosis(changing from one thing into another) and pod.

Butterfree#011(Bu-TER-free)

Butterfree name comes from Butterfly and Free, now that it can fly, and have some powerful moves to boot.
Actually, I thought Caterpie's name came from caterpillar and the phrase cutie pie, since it is kinda cute... :3

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
~ Cubone ~

Cue ball + bone?
I'm pretty sure that this one is actually correct. Cubone's original name was supposed to be Orphon, because of the fact that when it is born, the mother dies, so it has no parents. And the helmet that Cubone wears, if I can remember correctly, is actually supposed to be the skull of its mother. Seeing as this would be the most prominent feature of Cubone, that's where the origin of its name would most likely lie. As such, Cubone's helmet looks like a cue ball, and it's made out of bone. Imo, the idea behind the combination just fits perfectly.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm pretty sure that this one is actually correct. Cubone's original name was supposed to be Orphon, because of the fact that when it is born, the mother dies, so it has no parents. And the helmet that Cubone wears, if I can remember correctly, is actually supposed to be the skull of its mother. Seeing as this would be the most prominent feature of Cubone, that's where the origin of its name would most likely lie. As such, Cubone's helmet looks like a cue ball, and it's made out of bone. Imo, the idea behind the combination just fits perfectly.
Maybe they should have called it Orphone, combining Orphan and bone

peregrine monkey

Smash Apprentice
Oh, this looks cool.

I notice no one's done Wartortle.

Tortle, similar to turtle, which his appearance is based on. War, emphasizing his fierce appearance and nature.

Aerodactyl

Aero: Of the air, as it is flying type.
Dactyl: Derivative of Pterodactyl, a flying dinosaur that looks similar to Aerodactyl.

Grimer

It's a pile of poisonous sludge or "grime". "Er" because it makes other things dirty.

Muk

It's a term for mud minus one letter. No-brainer, really.

Kabutops

Like Kabuto (stated earlier as a Japanese word for helmet, indicating its armoured appearance) but "tops" indicating it is better than Kabuto.

Gloom

Its appearance is meant to be depressing. Another no-brainer.

Vileplume

Vile: Many large flowers smell very foul. Vileplume's flower is so large that it cannot hold up its head, presumably resulting in a severely foul stink.
Plume: Tricky. I think it would refer to plumes, ornamental feathers that were considered fashionable several hundred years ago. Vileplume's head seems ornamental, seeing as it doesn't help the Pokemon much.

Weedle

To wheedle is defined as: to coax into doing something or into good humour or persuade by flattery or cajolement.
It is considered contemptible, as is Weedle, as it is quite weak. Also, it sounds like beetle, a type of insect like Weedle.

Kakuna

A cocoon is an intermediate stage between the the transformation of the caterpiller into the butterfly. Kakuna is the transformational stage between Weedle and Beedrill. Plus an A.

Beedrill

It's a giant bee. With drills for hands. Fairly easy.

aceofdiamonds825

Smash Apprentice
Ill do one :D

Ditto

Ditto is a word that means "the aforesaid; the above; the same" and being that ditto copies its opponents it would make sense to call it "same"

Edit: I'll do another cuz I'm kind of bored xD

Porygon

A slightly altered form of the word polygon which is a multiple sided shape and mixed with the word origami, Porygon's body is made of many polygons and is a 3-d version of a paper crane. **(Also, not to sound racist or anything, but it's name could have come about because in Japan they may not have been able to say the "L" in polygon and made it sound like an "R" haha jk)

Mewter

Smash Master
Vileplume

Vile: Many large flowers smell very foul. Vileplume's flower is so large that it cannot hold up its head, presumably resulting in a severely foul stink.
Plume: Tricky. I think it would refer to plumes, ornamental feathers that were considered fashionable several hundred years ago. Vileplume's head seems ornamental, seeing as it doesn't help the Pokemon much.
Plume: Like a large cloud or puff of poison/smoke. Could be it(seeing as it smells badly and can be smelled from a long distance, and it knows attacks like stun spore) The combination could mean "stinky cloud". It also resembles that one exotic flower (titan arum) that smells like rotten meat and is more than (how many) feet in diameter.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Plume: Like a large cloud or puff of poison/smoke. Could be it(seeing as it smells badly and can be smelled from a long distance, and it knows attacks like stun spore) The combination could mean "stinky cloud". It also resembles that one exotic flower (titan arum) that smells like rotten meat and is more than (how many) feet in diameter.
I'm going to add that I'm pretty sure Vileplume is based off http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafflesia_arnoldii

THat's what it reminded me of the first time I saw VIleplume

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to add something that might relate to Gyarados's name. You should put a star next to this one, cause I'm not sure this is correct.

There's an island in Greece called Gyara. An Greek mythology, this island was said to move place to place throughout the ocean as the years went by. I think that's what my philosophy teacher taught me...

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
**(Also, not to sound racist or anything, but it's name could have come about because in Japan they may not have been able to say the "L" in polygon and made it sound like an "R" haha jk)
Ha, maybe. The Japanese name is Polygon, so I guess it could be possible.

Completely updated, and if someone can find it, I'll add MissingNo. :)

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I would've commented on this sooner, but I just now finished actually reading everything in the OP.

That's really cool! Idea is too good.

Darkslash

Smash Master
A slightly altered form of the word polygon which is a multiple sided shape and mixed with the word origami, Porygon's body is made of many polygons and is a 3-d version of a paper crane. **(Also, not to sound racist or anything, but it's name could have come about because in Japan they may not have been able to say the "L" in polygon and made it sound like an "R" haha jk)
No the Japanese can say "R" and "L" sounds. They just don't have the letter to separate the 2.
Like Meltrandi and Meltlandi. Get's a pain in the *** when they translate stuff.

ndayday

BRoomer
This is actually a really cool idea, and fun to read. :)
That's really cool! Idea is too good.
Thanks guys. :)

If anyone needs to know what Pokemon are left:

Pidgey, Spearow, Rattata, Nidoran, Clefairy, Vulpix, Jigglypuff, Zubat, Paras, Meowth, Psyduck, Mankey, Growlithe, Machop, Bellsprout, Tentacool, Magnemite, Doduo, Shellder, Drowzee, Krabby, Exeggcute, Koffing, Horsea, Staryu, Omanyte, and Dratini evolution lines,

and, Onix, the Hitmons, Lickitung, Chansey, Tangela, Mr. Mime, Scyther, Electabuzz, Magmar, Tauros, Lapras, and MissingNo.

After that we can move onto Johto.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Dratini
Dragon and teeny, because of it being smaller (much smaller) than the evolution lines.

Dragonair
Dragon and air, referring to the fact that it can fly/change the weather or air around it.

Dragonite
Dragon and well for the second part there is a wide variety of possibilities so ill post the bulbapedia definition.
Bulbapedia
Dragonite's name appears to be a combination of dragon and knight, "ignite," or night. It could also refer to draconite, a mythical stone of dragons. Its Japanese name is a combination of 海 kai, ocean, or 破壊 hakai, destruction, and 竜 ryū, dragon.

Mewter

Smash Master
Hitmonlee (Hit- Mohn- Lee) #106
"Hit" like a blow or punch/kick; "mon", like a monster; and "Lee" after Bruce Lee, the awesome asian martial arts guy.

Hitmonchan (Hit- Mohn- Chan) #107
"Hit" like a blow or punch/kick; "mon", like a monster; and "Chan" after Jackie Chan, the awesome asian martial arts/actor guy.

Hitmontop (Hit- Mohn- Top) #237
"Hit" like a blow or punch/kick; "mon", like a monster; and "Top" after the top, an awesome toy that requires spinning to stay balanced. Hitmontop acts just like this.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
The Pika might have been part of the basis for the body, and a little for the name.

Darkslash

Smash Master

Although with pikachu, it could be based as well, on the animal Pika. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pika
Not likely as in japan, electicity is some times called "PikaPika" and a Mouse squeak is "ChuChu"

Coincidentally in the Manga(though not likely), Red's Pikachu is nicked named Pika, and yellow's is "chu". Pika is a fiery pokemon, while Chu is timid.

Then they make a Pichu that know's Volt Tackle D:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hitmonlee (Hit- Mohn- Lee) #106
"Hit" like a blow or punch/kick; "mon", like a monster; and "Lee" after Bruce Lee, the awesome asian martial arts guy.

Hitmonchan (Hit- Mohn- Chan) #107
"Hit" like a blow or punch/kick; "mon", like a monster; and "Chan" after Jackie Chan, the awesome asian martial arts/actor guy.

Hitmontop (Hit- Mohn- Top) #237
"Hit" like a blow or punch/kick; "mon", like a monster; and "Top" after the top, an awesome toy that requires spinning to stay balanced. Hitmontop acts just like this.
Also, the three are suppose to be the incarnation of three martial arts...

HItmonlee is the incarnation of Taekwondo

Hitmontop is the incarnation of Capoeira

...I have no idea what Hitmonchan is suppose to represent. Maybe Karate or Boxing.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Also, the three are suppose to be the incarnation of three martial arts...

HItmonlee is the incarnation of Taekwondo

Hitmontop is the incarnation of Capoeira

...I have no idea what Hitmonchan is suppose to represent. Maybe Karate or Boxing.
Yeah...but that doesn't really have anything to do with their names.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Ralts- A play off Waltz, since the Gardevoir line besides Gallade look like dancers.

Kirlia- Supposedly a play off kurkin philosophy with seeing the future.

Gardevoir- French, Garde means 'Protect' Voir means 'To have to' or 'to meant to', which plays off her need to protect her trainer.

Gallade- A combination of Gladiator and Blade, hence Gallade

ndayday

BRoomer
Yes, right after every single one of the 1st generation Pokemon are added. Which reminds me, I better update this -- right now. Also, will do, Zook.

Thanks to anyone contributing so far. For you who have posted Pokemon from generations other then the 1st gen, I will go back and add them when we get to thier respective generation, so there is no need to repost, unless I say so, since I might get lazy. :)

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Mr. Mime
It is a guy that mimes.

Tangela
The name comes from it being a tangled mess.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Are we only sticking with the first 150, or are we discussing all of them?

Because I have a lot of thoughts about Absol and Lucario that don't involve punning off of Mario and Lucas.

EDIT: I just realized that the first 150 weren't finished, so here goes nothing:

#95 Onix - named after the stone onix (although probably spelled differently when referencing the stone.

# 96 Drowzee - It's a Pokemon that puts you to sleep and eats your dreams

# 97 Hypno - A Pokemon that Hypnotizes you and eats your dreams

# 98 Krabby - A crabby crab.

# 99 Kingler - A combination of the words "King crab" and "angler"

Come to think of it, there are a lot of king pokemon. Kingler, Seaking, Nidoking, Kingdra, Sloking, and Slaking. And probably a few more that'll come to mind later.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Are we only sticking with the first 150, or are we discussing all of them?

Because I have a lot of thoughts about Absol and Lucario that don't involve punning off of Mario and Lucas.
for now we do 151, when those are finished we do the next and so on. This is to help DeDeDe with organization so he doesn't go form one gen to the other and then get them mixed up and such.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I just realized yesterday what Squirtle comes from. I always thought that it was from being about to squirt water, but as I was playing brawl, I noticed that Squirtle has the tail of a squirrel.

Me: "Turtle...with a squirrel tail.... NO WAY"

zrky

Smash Lol'd
I just realized yesterday what Squirtle comes from. I always thought that it was from being about to squirt water, but as I was playing brawl, I noticed that Squirtle has the tail of a squirrel.

Me: "Turtle...with a squirrel tail.... NO WAY"
I think it's supposed to be squirt, but I suppose that is also true

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
That's what I've always assumed. I mean, Blastoise is blast, Squirtle might as well be squirt....

but the tail!

edit:
*wonders about Wartortle*

ndayday

BRoomer
for now we do 151, when those are finished we do the next and so on. This is to help DeDeDe with organization so he doesn't go form one gen to the other and then get them mixed up and such.
You got it.

I think someone already said that, and I thought it was pretty convincing so I added it. The only problem in that logic is that the evolutions don't resemble anything to a squirrel...and now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure one of the defininitions of one of the Pokemon in the evolution line has to do something with the tail...huh.

Completely updated by the way.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Ok, so Iggy is showed me something cool.

"Wat+tu(o)rtle"

Water turtle, hah.

Top Bottom