• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Character does Samus fear the most?

AIDS

Smash Lord
#1-Marth- Samus' missles do little against him. Partly because his sword chops through them with little effort, and also because his speed almost never allows samus to get them off. Samus' great recovery only takes her back to the ledge, where Marth easily hits her again. Samus has to keep just the right distance from Marth (the length of her grapple or further) until she finds an opening to combo him as much as possible.
#2-Falco- His lasers out-spam anything samus can pull off. She is not quick enough to counter his laser harass and must use platforms very effectivley to get a hit in. He is just to quick and takes control of the match.
#3-Sheik- Needles counter missles to an extent, and her u/f air is something to be feared by all floaters
ok, it evens out samus missles own marths recovery, marth is ok to combo, recover not stupid, space well, sweet spot etc, like all these things you mention are not hard to avoid, and only marths jab is usefull in taking out missles, any other move is to laggy, mostly use missles cancle for an aproach and as he defends himself or w/e it is your call how to respond to him, as he jabs it u can grab him etc. marth is not an amazingly hard match up.

SirNegroJuice

Smash Journeyman
Actually, Marth can easily use other moves besides his jab to stop missiles because when his attack hits the missile, it cancels out most of the lag.

Dobs1007

Smash Ace
For me my order would be

1. Sheik
2. Falco but I enjoy matchup
3. Marth

Reason is I have more experience in Falco matchup then good Sheiks. Falco on FD with lazer spam is so annoying though.

E P I C

Smash Journeyman
1. Falcon because he combos me like a beenotch.
2. Marth because his range is rigged.
3. Peach because of Dsmash lol.

AIDS

Smash Lord
1. Falcon because he combos me like a beenotch.
2. Marth because his range is rigged.
3. Peach because of Dsmash lol.
ummm not really true at all....:urg:

For me my order would be

1. Sheik
2. Falco but I enjoy matchup
3. Marth

Reason is I have more experience in Falco matchup then good Sheiks. Falco on FD with lazer spam is so annoying though.
i would agree with this except maybe Falcon instead of marth, but you are very accurate on that statement.

Dobs1007

Smash Ace
Falcon match-up can be difficult but I'm used to match-up have to use tilts effectively and missiles. Knee combos are a pain because of weight of Samus. Just have to be careful in match-up and try to avoid being grabbed just like in Marth match-up. With that said it still can be a very difficult fight I am just used to it.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
of character. Good DI can trip up a sexy Falcon, but good DI will get you no-place with a Shiek. ((Haha. Funny story about that. Did you know you can SDI Shiek's Dthrow with Samus and escape the Dthrow to 'anything you want' combo upwards of 120%? Yeah, it's possible.)) So yeah...all things considered, I guess Shiek is Samus' worst match-up, though I'll continue to dread Falcons more feverishly. -shakes-[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]

So um...if I had my pick: Shiek, Falcon and Doc would be my top3. Sorry to be the random n00b with a crazy post...hope it was intelligent enough that nobody gets 'pissed the **** off'. Later<
You can't smash DI throws. They have no hitstun.

Try again?

Dynamism

Smash Lord
I'll be semi-&quot;dead&quot; for a while after Fe
I can't say that Mario or Doc are much of a threat. Samus has a larger frame than them so that can cancle any close in approaches that they may attempt. Samus tends to have a little trouble getting those easy kills from gimped recoveries on them because of her lack of good horizontal finishers but if you play "attack" with good spammed Nairs and tilts, then they can be confined and done away with.

I find Falcons and Peachs are easy to contain, and Marth may have the tool-of-renduring-missiles-useless but that isn't enough for Samus to be overwhelmed by.

Falcos and Foxs can be torn apart with well placed tilts and aerials. Her down and up B resist any possible dashing approach, comboing and pillaring attemps. They're tamable.

I think Sheik is the most common threat. For the obvious reasons if anything.

I'll also go out of the comfort zone and say Kirby. A well played Kirby gives Samus nightmares!!!!
Missiles won't do anything if the Kirby is aware, his Dair and Cides will finish Samus EVERYTIME she is knocked off stage. Kirbys tilts are destructive and a head-on approach is actually effective.
Samus can edgegurad well with missiles and her Fsmash is one of the only effecient ways of finishing Kirby. Though Kirby can simply crouch under it if the smash isn't directed to the ground. Samus can't quite match Kirby in the air unless the battle is simple and subdued with Nairs, which is difficult when Kirby can react with a larger priority Fair (which can eliminate projectiles as well as Marth) or Bair. Samus sheild-Upb doesn't have much use here but her dsmash and ftilt can make up for that enough.

Kirby and Sheik, other than that, Samus can take care of herself :) I also find YLink can spam projectiles well, and that can hurt an unagressive Samus.

Edit; I guess I'm supposed to # them
1. Sheik (duh...2 Needles > Charged Blast, like wtf)
2. Kirby (I really think this is just under-seen if anything! lol)
3. Falcon (knees are mean, need more be said?)

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I can't say that Mario or Doc are much of a threat. Samus has a larger frame than them so that can cancle any close in approaches that they may attempt. Samus tends to have a little trouble getting those easy kills from gimped recoveries on them because of her lack of good horizontal finishers but if you play "attack" with good spammed Nairs and tilts, then they can be confined and done away with.

I find Falcons and Peachs are easy to contain, and Marth may have the tool-of-renduring-missiles-useless but that isn't enough for Samus to be overwhelmed by.

Falcos and Foxs can be torn apart with well placed tilts and aerials. Her down and up B resist any possible dashing approach, comboing and pillaring attemps. They're tamable.

I think Sheik is the most common threat. For the obvious reasons if anything.

I'll also go out of the comfort zone and say Kirby. A well played Kirby gives Samus nightmares!!!!
Missiles won't do anything if the Kirby is aware, his Dair and Cides will finish Samus EVERYTIME she is knocked off stage. Kirbys tilts are destructive and a head-on approach is actually effective.
Samus can edgegurad well with missiles and her Fsmash is one of the only effecient ways of finishing Kirby. Though Kirby can simply crouch under it if the smash isn't directed to the ground. Samus can't quite match Kirby in the air unless the battle is simple and subdued with Nairs, which is difficult when Kirby can react with a larger priority Fair (which can eliminate projectiles as well as Marth) or Bair. Samus sheild-Upb doesn't have much use here but her dsmash and ftilt can make up for that enough.

Kirby and Sheik, other than that, Samus can take care of herself :) I also find YLink can spam projectiles well, and that can hurt an unagressive Samus.

Kirby is one of my best characters...and yeah...kirby can give samus hell..

But seriously, if you just crouch with samus...there isn't much kirby can do to get samus off the ground. Just avoid grabs with wavedashes and angel ftilts downwards. Also, shffl dair to dsmash works wonders against kirby. Try it out next time you play one :).

Dynamism

Smash Lord
My Kirby gives Samus nightmares as well, :p
I noticed that CCing can screw Kirby, just drop in for a SHFFLed Uair next time. It knocks them enough to follow with at least a grab. Maybe not at 0% but def at 15ish%. And Kirbys hammer is good against Samus too. Both aerial and a land, it's like it was meant to fight Samus haha!
If Samus's dair works then try staying more aerial. I don't think I've ever been hit by a dair but it has been tried. Roll more too, if Dsmashs are getting you cause she's jumping in, Samus can't do crap about that if you roll away. Too slow and floaty. Like Kirby lol!
And throws aren't as effective against Samus as they are on most characters, I like to keep my distance in the match-up. Next time you play one, you may notice that kirby gets his problem when he gets too close. :) ;)

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
And Utilt wrecks kirby all over the place >_>. If you don't let kirby roll behind you then kirby can't do anything to you. Predict his rolls and punish accordingly :).

Dynamism

Smash Lord
How about don't roll behind her. He doesn't go far enough to avoid a dsmash. I ALWAYS keep my distance. I mean evade followed by evade with ocasional Fairs or Bairs. And utilts have enough lag to airdodge through. Do you airdodge often? I mean like "almost" wavedashing cause it's that low. It gets you through any tilt or smash and Kirby has so little lag on landing that you can almost dsmash Samus before she finishes lagging. Utilt upon landing works all the time. The airdodge is also good for getting behind Samus if anything. Roll is away, dodge is to haha.
I don't know how i'll live with myself when Brawl doesn't have that dodgeshift :(
But Samus can get strings going where it almost makes Kirby useless ahah. Avoid those and Samus is finished!

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
How about don't roll behind her. He doesn't go far enough to avoid a dsmash. I ALWAYS keep my distance. I mean evade followed by evade with ocasional Fairs or Bairs. And utilts have enough lag to airdodge through. Do you airdodge often? I mean like "almost" wavedashing cause it's that low. It gets you through any tilt or smash and Kirby has so little lag on landing that you can almost dsmash Samus before she finishes lagging. Utilt upon landing works all the time. The airdodge is also good for getting behind Samus if anything. Roll is away, dodge is to haha.
I don't know how i'll live with myself when Brawl doesn't have that dodgeshift :(
But Samus can get strings going where it almost makes Kirby useless ahah. Avoid those and Samus is finished!
I'm talking about kirby rolling behind samus to avoid her tilts, then up tilting or grabbing samus... Obviously you wouldn't roll right into a dsmash :). And samus doesn't have to approach kirby. Every time kirby tries to attack Samus with fair or bair samus can just nair. Or fsmash. Or ftilt. Or just hold down. Nothing kirby has budges samus. Samus can also just space herself really well so that kirby has a hard time landing hits in the first place.

The fact is, while kirby may have some things that give samus trouble...kirby is a really really really horrible character. Everything that samus has just outweighs kirby's strengths in that match-up. It's not impossible for kirby, but against a smart samus player it is really ****ing hard.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
I'm talking about kirby rolling behind samus to avoid her tilts, then up tilting or grabbing samus... Obviously you wouldn't roll right into a dsmash :). And samus doesn't have to approach kirby. Every time kirby tries to attack Samus with fair or bair samus can just nair. Or fsmash. Or ftilt. Or just hold down. Nothing kirby has budges samus. Samus can also just space herself really well so that kirby has a hard time landing hits in the first place.

The fact is, while kirby may have some things that give samus trouble...kirby is a really really really horrible character. Everything that samus has just outweighs kirby's strengths in that match-up. It's not impossible for kirby, but against a smart samus player it is really ****ing hard.
Yeah, i just misread what you wrote. My mistake. Samus can sit there and shoot randomly all day, Kirby does have to make the first move. But they can be "taunted" so to speak into setting themselves up. I rely much on evasion for this match-up. It seems to work, but there's probably a better way of beating a Samus than Kirby. And an actual REALLY good Samus player wouldn't fall for things as easily. Unfortunately i've only ever had a chance to meat two REALLY good Samus player and they were breif. Enough for me to realize Kirby works well/better against Samus than alot of characters but it wasn't a fully extended test. I'm sure you have had that oppertunity though ;)

And I agree 100%. :) But hopefully Kirby downdays are almost up :) You sound angry (maybe it's just me) but you are agreeing with what I said and vis-versa (so it must be me haha). Just elaborating the details, that is all.

I still stand by Kirby being the #2 bad match-up for Samus. Regardless :)

Edit: OMG haha!
I was watching some Kirby vids while browsing the boards and I just realized I watched a vid of Hylian :laugh:

Nice work by the way! It was vs a Falcon and vs a Falco. Great Kirbycide comeback on the Falcon and it's always fun to see Kirby with a beak pwning the spacie. I don't get to see or do enough of that! :lick:

And yes, Samus has a big frame, she can use that to her advantage over alot of characters. Like Mario and Doc as I said in my first post. Spacing works wonders :psycho:

Edit Edit: Ok sorry, I have to correct myself again (not paying attention, too late haha)
It was a thread by you. Hylian presents KKK :p
I read some posts and you're supposed to be that good too so I'll pretend it was you ;)

Dobs1007

Smash Ace
Every Character can pose some difficulty for Samus. Such as Fox can get low damage top kills/shines, Falcon Knee, Doc Cape, Ganon can KO Samus at low damage. Yet a good Samus player will know their characters advantages and disadvantages. My friend broke out a good Kirby and it took a while to learn match-up but once I did not too bad. I still stand by my list

1. Sheik
2. Falco
3. Marth

Samus does have some advantages over these characters but to win dare I say it you will need good mind games and tech skill we have never heard that before.

AIDS

Smash Lord
My Kirby gives Samus nightmares as well, :p
I noticed that CCing can screw Kirby, just drop in for a SHFFLed Uair next time. It knocks them enough to follow with at least a grab. Maybe not at 0% but def at 15ish%. And Kirbys hammer is good against Samus too. Both aerial and a land, it's like it was meant to fight Samus haha!
If Samus's dair works then try staying more aerial. I don't think I've ever been hit by a dair but it has been tried. Roll more too, if Dsmashs are getting you cause she's jumping in, Samus can't do crap about that if you roll away. Too slow and floaty. Like Kirby lol!
And throws aren't as effective against Samus as they are on most characters, I like to keep my distance in the match-up. Next time you play one, you may notice that kirby gets his problem when he gets too close. :) ;)
come to vancouver and i will be more then happy to money match your kirby, worst charecter in the game in my opinion. -_-
Every Character can pose some difficulty for Samus. Such as Fox can get low damage top kills/shines, Falcon Knee, Doc Cape, Ganon can KO Samus at low damage. Yet a good Samus player will know their characters advantages and disadvantages. My friend broke out a good Kirby and it took a while to learn match-up but once I did not too bad. I still stand by my list

1. Sheik
2. Falco
3. Marth

Samus does have some advantages over these characters but to win dare I say it you will need good mind games and tech skill we have never heard that before.
it is called the game, but most match ups are even,
i think my list would go for samus, not me cause im good vs some of these, but in general
Sheik
Falco
Falcon
Marth
and maybe peach? (such a gay match up)

Corigames

Smash Hero
I think the Character Samus should fear most should be Samus. Level with me here:

You know how Samus can do a lot of crazy things? These things aren't generally that useful, considering that other tactics other characters have have no problem interrupting them. Mostly, the flashy stuff you do with her can only be attributed to "mind games." Things like going around the level, reverse wall-jumping out of a bomb, high/third/grapple jump, grapple canceling, ect. These things have their place, but mostly just to confuse the other player, you know, being tricky. But, any of these tactics alone are some amazing, spammable thing that will get you kills and win the match for you.

So, when you are fighting another Samus, both of you are doing amazingly useless moves, right? The point is to confuse the other player, but the other player already knows all the things you can do... because they are doing them too! That's the Samus advantage and they got it too in this fight. What's move aggravating than SWD and missing the f-smash that follows? When you miss your SWD because they SWD out of the way at the same time.

Plus, there were a bunch of Metroid games where clones of Samus hunted her down (Primes and Fusion)... could have just said that >_>

Dobs1007

Smash Ace
it is called the game, but most match ups are even,
i think my list would go for samus, not me cause im good vs some of these, but in general
Sheik
Falco
Falcon
Marth
and maybe peach? (such a gay match up)
I would agree with you the only slight difference I have is over Falcon and Marth I can see why Falcon can be consider more difficult I would if not used to match-up and going strictly in general like you are. Also peach is gay match-up. Here moves are so gay turnips downsmash but as Cort would say
Gay and good are synonymous in the world of competitive gaming. Everyone should learn this. :)

Watty

Smash Lord
sheik
marth

samus holds her own against everyone else in the game but these 2 u could play perfect and still lose, they jut have to much that they can do to u.

main thing people need to realise is you cant beat every character with one style, u have to do diffrent things to diffrent characters, once u learn how to change it up depending on the character u will realise that falco is even, fox can be even, falcon is surprisngly even, peach can be even although very long.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
That would be great AIDS!!!!! Dittos (with Kirby, Samus or whoever) are something I might stand a chance at but I'll try the MM anyway haha. If I'm ever heading there I'll PM you. It's not far it's just hard to find time for a day trip even. There are about 5 or so people that I've played in the area and they wanna get me into a tourney next time I come through too. Unfortunately melee will be extinct by that time :(
And all that Kirby talk really got me hungry for some good Kirby action! When a thread is labbled "best Kirby ever" it's kind of easy to look at haha. It was refreshing. I haven't played melee seriously in months. This is the irst melee thread I've posted in in a long time too, also refreshing.
I think worst character in almost everyones opinion.

Everyone says Sheik (back to Samus) but Zelda can be a pain too. :)

Dynamism

Smash Lord
sorry, I only clicked it once I swear :( haha

I guess I'll add something...um...thinking
Don't think I have anything. meh
Samus missiles aren't finishers in Brawl...wait? That's unrelated!
I'm totally zoned out, I need some sleep for once haha!
k
Falcon is too fast to keep away and can set Samus up for a good knee with almost anything from anywhere.

AIDS

Smash Lord
sorry, I only clicked it once I swear :( haha

I guess I'll add something...um...thinking
Don't think I have anything. meh
Samus missiles aren't finishers in Brawl...wait? That's unrelated!
I'm totally zoned out, I need some sleep for once haha!
k
Falcon is too fast to keep away and can set Samus up for a good knee with almost anything from anywhere.
if you wish for more about the BC comunity (mostly here in the vancouver area) reply to "The BC Canada Thread" it will give you info on upcoming events and discution between mostly the BC comunity

and Dobs, i agree with you, samus does not counter samus, it is hard for both players

Sms_MissileArsenal

Smash Apprentice
ugh
super bad at mind games... specailly with the marth i play with hes got the TGM the KEN COMBOS an im running on E so i get frustrated with him playing me with handicaps of grabs an counters only so its a cheezy lame fight... i need to figure out my own mind games i guess...

thanx

AIDS

Smash Lord
ugh
super bad at mind games... specailly with the marth i play with hes got the TGM the KEN COMBOS an im running on E so i get frustrated with him playing me with handicaps of grabs an counters only so its a cheezy lame fight... i need to figure out my own mind games i guess...

thanx
this is called "bad DI" lol, not lack of mindgames, i would say judging from what you have said you have bad spacing, bad aproach, and maybe lack knowledge of the match up, i am good vs sheik, but i know well enough over all it is like a charecter who was made to counter samus, she is the hardest match up, marth starts out hard but is ok for samus and marth around the same level when at high level, it is a close match up, marth has maybe a slight advantage, but not enough to **** at the match up

VA

Smash Hero
There is no "good vs sheik". I have tons of experience in that match up but it's horrible when you come up against a certain style of sheik which is just a nightmare.

Anyway I can give some fairly detailed, good advice on any character match up (Bar IC's) if anyone wants it XD

Sms_MissileArsenal

Smash Apprentice
this is called "bad DI" lol, not lack of mindgames, i would say judging from what you have said you have bad spacing, bad aproach, and maybe lack knowledge of the match up, i am good vs sheik, but i know well enough over all it is like a charecter who was made to counter samus, she is the hardest match up, marth starts out hard but is ok for samus and marth around the same level when at high level, it is a close match up, marth has maybe a slight advantage, but not enough to **** at the match up

i havent been to any great players to compare actual notes but the marth i know can be beaten but the sheik, but i can defeat the sheik. He always gets me with the tip of the sword and since we played so long hes "used to" my samus, so he says. i got my money on approach to be my fault so im just wondering how to get better at that then.

AIDS

Smash Lord
If you have not played any great players, you must not have played a great Sheik, my Sheik knows how to abuse samus, but your statement is very biast, and has lack of knowledge.

to get better against marth, a video would help me make a more accurate choice, but space yourself out and hit him if he does a laggy atack, like Nair, Dair, Fsmash, etc. something with an opening. that is a start, but i would need a video to make a clear accurate statment to help improve your style vs marth's. you can post matches on The Critique Video Thread by CoreyGames.

VA

Smash Hero
guh, w/e

with marth. get him in his shield and pressure away with jabs and ftilt. ftilty is your greatest weapon versus marth. besides sex kick for edge guards which is pretty much the only gimp you'll be getting.

Missles: When you shoot one, marth has a few choices.

1) Stand still and jab/ftilt w.e

2) Walk Forward and Ftilt or jab.

3) Shield

4) Jump

Ok so what you want him to do is shield, getting him in shield either gives you a grab or a jab or an filt on his shield which is where you find your openings. Be careful if he walks because I think his tilt can still go through yours despite clashing with the missle. If he tries the walking tilting/jabbing just wavedash in and try space ftilt dsmash. If he jumps then you've got a sex kick opportunity but it's risky.

Marth is just too horrible vs. Samus in the air. Staying grounded and using Tilts and Jab on his shield is very safe. Airborn manouevering is either a mindgame or a necessity in this match up, I wouldn't suggest doing it close to him but obv it's not going to hurt too much from a distance. Getting Airborn close to Marth; only do this if you really know what you are doing.

His Approaches on you:

One of the biggest things that I hate about Marth is his long dash dance. I don't really know what to do with it and end up getting mindgamed into using my UP B before he's done anything XD Most of his aerial apporaches can be shielded to UP B which ofc is very nice. Rolling around and staying in shield is risky because of his surprisingly fast run speed and 1337 haxx0rz grab range. If you dash dance I'd say it couldn't hurt just be quick to react if he moves lol, get back and try space in dsmash or anything low from a CC if you're on low percentages. Just watch out for pesky grabs.

Marth being above you is lovely, as he can't really do much to anyone when he's above, probably the only time you might hit the ***** with a combo is in this situation.

One of my favourite tactics (In general) is wavelanded FF sex kicks, deadly to marths on YS as they really don't see Samus as a fast character and when you hit him with the priority and speed of sex kick off a platform he's kind of shocked XD

I dunno, use of bombs is minimal imo, Charge Shot is down to personal style but I mean I tend to hit most people most time I shoot one so I dunno, do whatever suits you with these.

Haha probably a load of garbage advice right there.

Sms_MissileArsenal

Smash Apprentice
so check this out:

-I am a good double missile kinda guy when it comes to missile canceling i can get it on the dot an run straight thru it an tackle marth for extra damage
- I at times SWD or more basically wvd to cut distance time
-I have a tendency to if i ever get a chance jump an AUA an missile for combos

Marth on the other hand:
-can stop me with his forward A or Short hop neutral A or Dair since i always take my time an make sure im good enough to give HI% to him
-he edge guards me with his down A
-did i mention he can TGM an do a reverse up B on me?

il try an supply a vid sometime to explain

AIDS

Smash Lord
vanityangel your post is accurate but this information is limited due to many marth styles these days, also Sms_MissileArsenal your post have lack of DI and lack of skill, the stuff you are complaining about is dumb, and so easy to avoid, im sorry but i can not picture these as a big issue.

VA

Smash Hero
vanityangel your post is accurate but this information is limited due to many marth styles these days, also Sms_MissileArsenal your post have lack of DI and lack of skill, the stuff you are complaining about is dumb, and so easy to avoid, im sorry but i can not picture these as a big issue.
Lol? It's better than
space yourself out and hit him if he does a laggy atack, like Nair, Dair, Fsmash, etc. something with an opening
There is one Marth in the UK that can beat me and I've basically written about how I beat all the other Marth's and how I try to go about beating the Marth that beats me. One thing I needed to add is that most Marth's aerial approach on low percent, this is easily CC'd into a dsmash.

Top Bottom