• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Well that page escalated quickly. I am ready to nuke this thread if needed, keep in mind I'm watching this thread.

With that said, Let's move away from gamergate discussions.

When I see rebuttles with "lol nope" or "lol at this post", it doesn't give me a lot of confidence that light house can properly have discussions and debates on this. Get back to the original topic on hand. Anything relating to gamergate just leads to a lot of trouble because people handle the discussions on it rather poorly. I saw the discussion earlier in this thread, but with the responses I'm seeing, it's not a topic worth discussing. Especially when a lot of arguments consist of, "your feelings on this topic is wrong, this is how you should feel".

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Carrill Carrill
Guilty? No. Jealous? Yes. It would be awesome to get better consideration for education and jobs, and to get more scholarship money because my parents faced injustices that I was born late enough to not experience.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I find Animal Crossing to be boring. Lord knows I tried, but all I got was boredom. It just felt like nothing got done, and often very demanding that I play it at certain times to get things. Which isn't fun. Plus I couldn't really get into the characters, they were just kinda there to me and I couldn't care less for them. Maybe it's because I was in the wrong mindset, or I did something wrong, but I tuned out after a while.
I found the one on DS to be sorta fun. Then I stopped playing for a week and everyone freaked out, and every time I didn't save Mr. Ressetti would appear, which was cute at first, quickly became annoying. Then I decided to advance the clock on my DS by a few decades and came to find holes all throughout the town. That was when i decided, while I like the Animal Crossing world, I don't like the games.

Last edited:

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I actually liked Metroid Other M
I enjoyed the gameplay, and my only real gripes with the story are Adam, and the scene before the fight with Ridley.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I enjoyed Sonic and the Secret Rings.

It starts off terribly slow, yes. The way that the real first level in the game starts off with Sonic accelerating at an agonizingly slow pace is inexcusable... but it does get better as you progress. It's a lot of fun when you've earned a bunch of abilities and you understand how to use them. It's also a really challenging.

It also introduced a really important feature to the series. It was the first 3D Sonic to include target marker that actually tells you where you're going to go before you use your homing attack, preventing a lot of accidental deaths. This feature should have been included in the first Sonic Adventure to be honest.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Since we're on the subject of Sonic. I honestly believe Sonic needs humans, not that they need to play a significant role or anything, but they need to just be there.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I actually never played it. Your opinions on it?
I really hated it the first playthrough but on the second onwards I liked it a lot.

My problem was I was playing it like a Sonic game(lol) relying on the Homing Attack, but when you really try to utilize Caliburn, it's actually pretty great in it's own right, buzz-sawing through groups is a blast.

The soundtrack is amazing,(It's a Sonic game, it better be) and it's very pretty.

Spoiler Territory Here

I also really like it's final act, it's moral is one I personally hold dear and I still think Merlina is a great villain.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I guess on the topic of Sonic, I'm not the biggest fan of boost. The boost era had great games, but I'll be happy for them to move on. It didn't add much for me regarding enemies. I feel like Sonic 06 was one extreme where enemies were just sponges while boost would give the other extreme.

Danny of AD 1

Smash Apprentice
I actually never played sonic 06 or unleashed or black knight
I also rarely play as meta knight in brawl because he's not all that
In all honesty though another one is that Tony hawk underground games are way better than th ps games
Lastly I've only ever beaten one dungeon in any l o z game which was the deku tree
I find l o z a bit too confusing and difficult
And why all the hate on 1996s sm64 that game was awesome although I only played the n64 version until 2006
Animal crossing city folk was a great game
Pichu isn't as bad as he's portrayed to be
Also ganondorf isn't that bad nor is zelda link luigi ness or captain falcon or mario
Mr game and watch is basically melee mr game and watch in sm4sh
Wario isn't evil look up sm64ds
Pacman and his side special are from pacman world 3 released in 2005
Roy is better than marth in melee because he is less funky
My wii has an overheating problem
Little Mac would be a solid character if he could actually recover

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I actually never played sonic 06 or unleashed or black knight
I also rarely play as meta knight in brawl because he's not all that
In all honesty though another one is that Tony hawk underground games are way better than th ps games
Lastly I've only ever beaten one dungeon in any l o z game which was the deku tree
I find l o z a bit too confusing and difficult
And why all the hate on 1996s sm64 that game was awesome although I only played the n64 version until 2006
Animal crossing city folk was a great game
Pichu isn't as bad as he's portrayed to be
Also ganondorf isn't that bad nor is zelda link luigi ness or captain falcon or mario
Mr game and watch is basically melee mr game and watch in sm4sh
Wario isn't evil look up sm64ds
Pacman and his side special are from pacman world 3 released in 2005
Roy is better than marth in melee because he is less funky
My wii has an overheating problem
Little Mac would be a solid character if he could actually recover

Some of these things aren't opinions.
Some of these things, although are opinions, are wrong.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
You know how people tend to on Ice Climber for it's wonky physics? That's exactly how I feel about Balloon Fighter. To me, it's horrible. It never feels tight or controllable, like I'm constantly slipping on wet ice and somehow I'm supposed to avoid a bunch of obstacles along the way. It ain't fun.

OnettGirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Antagonistgreen
3DS FC
4742-5570-4170
If people are still talking about Sonic...

I'll agree and say I though the boost formula was absolutely boring. But that goes back to the fact that I absolutely hate 2D games which I had said previously. I can't really say much for Unleashed because I never actually played it, I watched my friend play it, but as far as Colors and Generations went it has way too many 2D sections for me to enjoy. They were both good games but just not the way I like to play Sonic. It could also be that my first experience with Sonic was Adventure 2 Battle so my viewpoint is "tainted".

I also thought Sonic's levels in 06 were actually pretty fun, mach speed sections included [Radical Train was great]. The rest of the game can go jump off a bridge. And I think Zebraheads version of His World is a far batter "theme" for Sonic than either version of It Doesn't Matter. Oops.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I feel like Sonic 06 was one extreme where enemies were just sponges while boost would give the other extreme.
That actually started with Sonic Heroes, where enemies started getting health bars, but at least that game had Power Formation to take care of that, and Shadow the Hedgehog had guns and other weapons.

Sonic 06 like, only had Homing Attack, it wasn't so much the beefy enemies that bothered me as much as the monotony of dealing with them.
I mean, if you want me to fight a bunch of dudes, at least give me a variety of tools to have fun with it.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I grew up on 3D Sonic games (Adventure, Adventure 2, Heroes), so I strongly prefer them to the 2D titles. This is my unpopular opinion, because it seems everyone and their mother hates Sonic in 3D and widely considers those games to have been a mistake. :(

I would love another 3D Sonic game, honestly. On the one condition that it has a Chao garden. Or just go full throttle and make an independent Chao garden game. The Chao garden is the thing that keeps me coming back to SA2 time and time again. Can someone please take notice of the enduring popularity of this thing and make a Chao-based game? Maybe with online Chao-sharing properties? I love that thing.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Sega just needs to make chao garden on mobile. A tomogotchi/digimon thing but on your phone that's always with you.

Makes sense to me.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Sega just needs to make chao garden on mobile. A tomogotchi/digimon thing but on your phone that's always with you.

Makes sense to me.
Do you want to ruin my phone battery? And possibly my GPA?

*in-between classes*
Noam Chaosky is starting to turn into a dark Chao. I don't like this. Let me pet him with Tails for an hour straight. But wait, now he's too hero. Let me chuck him against the wall.
*before class starts*
Okay, they're not looking...
Go, Chaosky, go! Destroy that pumpkin-headed piece of trash! Wha- don't trip! *mashes "encourage" button angrily*
*during class*
I've given you three heart fruits. Why are you not ready for the baby-making. I need a Shiny Jewel Chao with all-S grades now.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Ah 3D Sonic Discussion. I used to think "Sonic 06 can't be THAT bad"...then I saw that "Sonic 06 Makes Sonic Boom Look Like Sonic 06" video series Retsupurae's been putting out and...yep, it's that bad, lol.

My unpopular gaming opinion is probably that I think Final Fantasy VIII is better than Final Fantasy VII (I also think VI is the best Final Fantasy game, but that seems more accepted). And well...I don't think Sympony of the Night is the best Castlevania game either.

Makes sense to me.
Totally.

I just want to throw Chaos against walls without having to actually play Sonic Adventure.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
Unfortunately I never got into the Chao Garden.
I definitely see the appeal of it, but it's just not for me.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Ah 3D Sonic Discussion. I used to think "Sonic 06 can't be THAT bad"...then I saw that "Sonic 06 Makes Sonic Boom Look Like Sonic 06" video series Retsupurae's been putting out and...yep, it's that bad, lol.
They're both bad, but are you sure you'd say Boom is a better game than 06? Admittedly I haven't played it, but Boom just looks bland through and through, 06 at least has moments.Sonic's first part of Kingdom Valley is at least a decent level, and Wave Ocean and that rainforest level isn't exactly awful.

Sonic '06 is bad in a (mostly) hilarious way. Like, it's such a busted, awkward mess that you can't help but laugh at how terrible it is. Until you realize how long it is. Then you want to cry. Either way, at least it's making you feel something.

Sonic Boom is just lame. It's not even funny bad. It's just a bad game.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
They're both bad, but are you sure you'd say Boom is a better game than 06? Admittedly I haven't played it, but Boom just looks bland through and through, 06 at least has moments.Sonic's first part of Kingdom Valley is at least a decent level, and Wave Ocean and that rainforest level isn't exactly awful.
Oh no, I haven't played Sonic Boom or seen much of it besides some guy named ProJared's review on it. I was just quoting the video title I'd been watching.

finalark

SNORLAX
Sonic '06 is bad in a (mostly) hilarious way. Like, it's such a busted, awkward mess that you can't help but laugh at how terrible it is. Until you realize how long it is. Then you want to cry. Either way, at least it's making you feel something.
Watching somebody play Sonic '06 is hilarious.

Playing Sonic '06 is hilarious for about fifteen minutes. Then it becomes a nightmare.

I never saw that much on Boom besides ProJared's and SomeCallMeJohnny's reviews on it. I feel like there isn't a whole lot to gain by seeing how deep the Boom rabbit hole goes. I already got my fill of horribly glitchy and stupid Sonic nine years ago.

Speaking of which, when the hell are we going to let '06 go? Damn near everyone on the internet has had a turn beating this dead horse to the point where I feel like there's absolutely nothing that could be said about it that hasn't be said already. We were done with other absolute disasters like Daikatana and Duke Nukem Forever a few months after their release but nearly ten years later people are still harping on '06.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
We can probably let Sonic 06 go when we "All Hail Shadow" and decide to leave "His World", lol.

Okay, that was pretty terrible. I'm sorry.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of which, when the hell are we going to let '06 go? Damn near everyone on the internet has had a turn beating this dead horse to the point where I feel like there's absolutely nothing that could be said about it that hasn't be said already. We were done with other absolute disasters like Daikatana and Duke Nukem Forever a few months after their release but nearly ten years later people are still harping on '06.
Because Sonic furries kids annoying fanbase loser Sega something.

Sonic '06 is like one of those eternal video game memes. Much like the Water Temple in OoT. Apparently it's not actually as bad as people say it is (I've never played OoT so I don't know), but it's become part of the Canon of Vidya Memes. It has ascended beyond simple Meme of the Month into something we can forever point to and say "that was bad." It doesn't help that Sonic, in general, has become the butt monkey. 06 is simply the shiny, golden turd crowning the internet's version of Sonic.

I can't wait for the ten year anniversary of 06, so I can legitimately say "it has been a decade. The United States has had three different presidents in this time period. Let it go."

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I think Sonic needs to retire. Or at least take a break for Sega to get their act together, because as the days go by it's becoming more and more obvious that they have no idea what the hell to do with him. I mean, over just the past few years he's gone through the wheel being reinvented who knows how many times, had thrown around new characters for the sake of bringing new blood into the franchise where others are stuffed into the closet (which will soon also be their fate), and has basically became a glorified **** being thrown to the wall with different particles each time hoping it'll stick; regardless of if it does or not. Like all Hell would break loose if they don't throw the baby, the bathwater, and the bathtub itself out. Heck, say what you want about Nintendo franchises being samey, but at least they let the tired elements become tired. Sega can't even get to that point.

Even if it's only a couple months, at the very least take some time to establish a formula before kicking it out again.

finalark

SNORLAX
I think Sonic needs to retire. Or at least take a break for Sega to get their act together, because as the days go by it's becoming more and more obvious that they have no idea what the hell to do with him. I mean, over just the past few years he's gone through the wheel being reinvented who knows how many times, had thrown around new characters for the sake of bringing new blood into the franchise where others are stuffed into the closet (which will soon also be their fate), and has basically became a glorified **** being thrown to the wall with different particles each time hoping it'll stick; regardless of if it does or not. Like all Hell would break loose if they don't throw the baby, the bathwater, and the bathtub itself out. Heck, say what you want about Nintendo franchises being samey, but at least they let the tired elements become tired. Sega can't even get to that point.

Even if it's only a couple months, at the very least take some time to establish a formula before kicking it out again.
The thing is, they did establish a formula in Unleashed and then expanded upon it with Colors, Generations and Lost World. Lost World tends to be kinda hit and miss for most people but Colors and Generations and pretty universally liked. The thing that people forget is that Boom is not a main series game and never was intended to be. It was a spin-off handed to a random studio to promote the cartoon.

That being said, I do agree with you aside from the points above.While Mario has the problem of doing the same thing over and over again Sonic has exact opposite problem. It's like SEGA is afraid that people will get bored of Sonic unless they keep on throwing in some new gimmick in every single game. And while their gimmicks have been getting better (most would agree that the wisps were a good addition to the series) most of them feel like they were dragged right out the pits of brainstorming hell.

There's actually a really good video series on this called Sonic Spitball that's worth's watching if you have four hours to spare. The videos are long, but do an extremely good job of examining exactly what went wrong with STH.

I'm actually pretty eager to see what Sonic Team's next game is going to be. IMO their last few games have actually been pretty enjoyable and I'm hoping they continue to build on Boost Sonic and don't completely reinvent the wheel again because of Lost World's lukewarm reception.

EDIT: I think a good example of SEGA going too damn crazy over trying to keep Sonic fresh was Sonic 4. The game was meant to be a recreation of the classic series but for some reason Sega felt the need to give it a weird physics engine, add in the homing attack and otherwise mix up the game play of the classic series.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Sorry about the double post.

You guys ready for some fighting game unpopular opinions? LETS GO!

- While I like all kinds of fighters, I enjoy 3D fighting games way more than 2D ones (IDK if this is unpopular worldwide, but in NA it feel like 3D fighters are swept under the rug and 2D fighters like MK or SF get all the love)

- Third Strike is an awesome game, but I honestly have more fun playing USF4

- Dead or Alive is a fantastic series with fun and rewarding game play that sadly gets overshadowed but it's infamous fanservice, which (aside from the hilariously ridiculous jiggle physics) really isn't any more extreme than what you'd find in any other fighting game.

- I really don't like flashy fighters that much

- I don't think I've ever played a single SNK fighter that I've liked

- Custom characters killed Soul Calibur

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Can I just say that since it's October, that I believe that horror games just don't do it for me anymore and aren't even scary in the slightest.

Everything relys on jump scares which is I believe a cheap tactic for something scary when it's more annoying than frightening. I just want a feel of eeriness and frustration that games like classic RE, Silent Hill and even just moments in non-scary games giving you this feeling of nervousness.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I believe that jump scares aren't inherently evil, it's just how people use it. It's the same with DLC, fanservice, quite a few things really.

For one, it's not like I can't see why people use it. It's a lot like let's say McDonalds: Sure it's unhealthy and there's better solutions to horror, but every now and then it's cheap, quick but effective nature tempts people into using it. And if done correctly with the proper build up and the like it can make a better impact. Leaving the viewer unsettled and shaken. Now that's not to say they're a replacement of atmosphere and the like, but it's not like they don't have their merits either.

My issue is when that's the only use of horror. After Slender and later on FNaF got big, suddenly there was a surge of developers bringing a poor excuse for what people would now call "horror". Nowadays instead of building up the atmosphere, now all you need is loud noises. And instead of instilling fear in someone though implicit but effective imagery and symbolism, now you have games tailored for Youtubers to scream at and rake in the views. And much like everything once the jump scare dulls over what else is there to offer?

Rawk Hawk

Smash Rookie
In all of my Borderlands experience I've actually found claptrap to be a funny little extra bit of the game and didn't think he was too annoying, I've only heard people complain about him which kind of sucks for the little guy

finalark

SNORLAX
Can I just say that since it's October, that I believe that horror games just don't do it for me anymore and aren't even scary in the slightest.

Everything relys on jump scares which is I believe a cheap tactic for something scary when it's more annoying than frightening. I just want a feel of eeriness and frustration that games like classic RE, Silent Hill and even just moments in non-scary games giving you this feeling of nervousness.
For me, my biggest issue with horror games comes not from the tactics used, but by the fact that it's a genre that becomes less effective the older you get. There will always be cheap knock-offs of whatever the current big horror game is (Resi had a lot of clones back in it's day, so did RE4, so did Amnesia and so did Slender) that fails to deliver. Unfortunately, for me personally horror games period just don't spook me anymore.

I used to be a big baby when it came to these kinds of games. In my later high school years I started genuinely getting into the genre and was still a big baby who had to work up the courage to progress. But now, as an adult, even if a game has fantastic atmosphere and severally unnerving moments my only response is "Huh, spooky." For example, when I was sixteen or so I picked up a copy of the first Silent Hill and was too spooked to get past the dark world school. About a year ago, I popped it in one evening and then proceeded to beat the game in one sitting.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
For me, my biggest issue with horror games comes not from the tactics used, but by the fact that it's a genre that becomes less effective the older you get. There will always be cheap knock-offs of whatever the current big horror game is (Resi had a lot of clones back in it's day, so did RE4, so did Amnesia and so did Slender) that fails to deliver. Unfortunately, for me personally horror games period just don't spook me anymore.

I used to be a big baby when it came to these kinds of games. In my later high school years I started genuinely getting into the genre and was still a big baby who had to work up the courage to progress. But now, as an adult, even if a game has fantastic atmosphere and severally unnerving moments my only response is "Huh, spooky." For example, when I was sixteen or so I picked up a copy of the first Silent Hill and was too spooked to get past the dark world school. About a year ago, I popped it in one evening and then proceeded to beat the game in one sitting.
I guess when you seen one game, it shows that you've seen it all. Although I still say that horror tropes in non-horror related games are still my favorite. I loved Arkham Asylum for doing with the Scarecrow boss fight and Metroid Fusion with the SA-X was spine-tingling.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I also actually like the "tank controls" from the older Resident Evil games and feel that even with RE4 and REvelations being as good as they are, they felt slightly off for lacking it.

Other stuff is feeling like Portrait of Ruin's the best portable Castlevania, and that Symphony of the Night isn't the best Castlevania game.

Of course, it's weird to say but thinking on it, I remember enjoying playing Brawl more than I enjoyed playing Melee.

finalark

SNORLAX
Other stuff is feeling like Portrait of Ruin's the best portable Castlevania, and that Symphony of the Night isn't the best Castlevania game.
I really wish people would stop acting like Bloodstained is some amazing revival and that we haven't had a CV like it since the 90s. Why does everyone love SotN but act like the GBA and DS games don't exist?

Probably has something to do with Youtubers acting like CV stopped at SotN and everything that came after is irrelevant.

Also, Portrait of Ruin is really easy but has fun mechanics and is really underrated. Interestingly enough, it's a sequel to the also underrated Bloodlines.

SherrdreamZ

Jubilant Adept Princess
NNID
SherrdreamZ
ohh i love all of the DS iterations of Castlevania, Where did they go? guess ill wait for my copy of Bloodstained. Onward to my opinions ^^

~I Feel Fire Emblem is Nintendo's greatest Franchise.
~I detested Every Final Fantasy since 10 aside from Type 0 and Crisis Core.
~The greatest Final Fantasy is VII and deserves every bit of it's hype.
~I knew Resident Evil was going to go downhill after Resident Evil 4, even though i loved that game.
~From Software and the Souls Series are the best Action RPG's, even moreso than Zelda or Skyrim etc.. Dark Souls 2 does not apply.
~Nothing to do with Sonic After Sonic 3 or CD have been "Sonic" to me, Generations was trying to get there.
~Cod doesn't need to die because it has a formula that has enveloped millions of devout fans. i haven't played since Ghost's
~Fallout > Elder Scrolls
~The best gaming consoles were first the SNES and then followed by the PS2/PS1
~Gaming is continually getting less appealing with each passing generation due to casualizing the medium more and more...
~Nintendo is not a better gaming studio then Microsoft or Sony overall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom