• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
The only issue I see with Sonic 3 is the fact that Carnival Night exists.

Anyway.....

Super-realistic graphics are dumb. Cel-shading is superior.
Although I'm cool with it as S3&K is my favorite of the Classic Sonic games, the levels, being that they're much larger, are more like a maze.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I also gotta second that Sonic 3 isn't all that great. I'm not a fan of it's lengthy labyrinthine levels.
Although I'm cool with it as S3&K is my favorite of the Classic Sonic games, the levels, being that they're much larger, are more like a maze.
It's true that they are larger and have more of a vertical design as opposed to previous entries, but it's very hard to actually get lost. There was always a way you could go to proceed through the stages, usually through a stage gimmick which pointed you(more or less)in the right direction. Water slides, spinning tops, balloons, wheels and cannons and whatever else were in the zones usually sent you where you needed to go. Of course, memorization plays a pretty big role in platformers as a general rule. But when you get all that down you can essentially blaze through the zones in, you know, true Sonic fashion.

Back to unpopular stuff.

:4mewtwo: is boring.

I think SA2 is a pretty good game despite the flak it gets.

Super Mario RPG can't hold a candle to Paper Mario(don't know if that's unpopular but I'm posting it).

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Okay, so I actually think Sonic 3 is a messy, unpleasant disaster compared to Sonic 2, but still good.

I don't understand why people think Sonic 3 is so good. I personally think it's riddled with problems.
I didn't like S3&K myself. I thought the game's in the same level as both OOT & FFVII in terms of being extremely overrated. Another major thing why I don't care for S3&K (and this is one of many reasons why I'm not part of the Sonic fanbase anymore) is that it's the only Sonic game that gets praised while every single other one is considered ****. I honestly don't get the mentality from them. You honestly can't be a fan of the series if you only like one game from it. I thought the game wasn't all that fun to me and a little on the frustrating side (I'm looking at you, barrel!).

Sonic 2's a better game to me.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I didn't like S3&K myself. I thought the game's in the same level as both OOT & FFVII in terms of being extremely overrated. Another major thing why I don't care for S3&K (and this is one of many reasons why I'm not part of the Sonic fanbase anymore) is that it's the only Sonic game that gets praised while every single other one is considered ****. I honestly don't get the mentality from them. You honestly can't be a fan of the series if you only like one game from it. I thought the game wasn't all that fun to me and a little on the frustrating side (I'm looking at you, barrel!).

Sonic 2's a better game to me.
Funny, I hardly see anyone talk about Sonic 3, I only hear people say Sonic 2 is the best and everything else is crap.
Hell, Sonic 1 and 2 are available on nearly every device that has internet, but Sonic 3 is very selective, there's still no PS3 nor 3DS version of Sonic 3 for one thing. I find the game to be pretty ignored.

D

DeleteThisAcct

I have a few major ones that will cause me to get flamed into oblivion:

1.) I strongly dislike pretty much everything Melee stands for and brought to Smash. I don't feel a fighter needs frame perfect ATs and bunch of other unnecessary complications to be a fulfilling and competitive game, which is why Smash 4 is currently my favorite installment of Smash in spite of its flaws. I honestly cringe at the sight of a once beloved GameCube controller and characters like Fox now cause of the Melee community.

2.) I feel that GTA should NOT have the honor of being called a videogame considering that it's tasteless trash: nothing but senseless violence, drugs, sex, and sexual violence (you can kill a prostitute to get your money back - wtf). I honestly vomited when I learned GTA V shattered almost every single sales World Record in the videogame industry. Back when I worked at GameStop, when they forced me to push GTA V, I refused based on my principles, stuck to backroom work, and got laid off shortly after.

3.) I honestly don't get the hype behind the FPS genre, especially CoD after I've seen how its players get. From a political standpoint, I can't stomach how the series is pretty much just imperialist propaganda that paints that every nation is **** in comparison to America - especially if they're not Capitalist. I also can't stomach how CoD paints that torture tactics are okay if it's America doing it, but not if anyone else does. Ugh, no, just no.

4.) Gratuitous fan service... please stop. Now. IDGAF if sex sells. It's horribly counterproductive when you consider it also turns off, and drives away, would-be girl gamers. I don't want to be #ForeverAlone just because people want their DoA jiggle physics, or Bayonetta to be practically naked the entire game. This adds NOTHING to the plot. Did ZSS honestly need to have an alternate outfit where she's in daisy dukes and what appears to be a sports bra? Did Quiet honestly need to be as revealing as she is for the lamest plot device ever?

5.) While good games in their own rite, I find OoT and aLttP to be terribly overrated. They are by FAR NOT the best thing to happen to Zelda.

6.) The original LoZ, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, and Majora's Mask, to me, will always be the end all, be all, of Zelda. Wind Waker and the latter half of Twilight Princess get honorable mentions from me.

7.) Alundra single-handedly did top-down view Zelda games better than Nintendo ever could.

8.) Super Mario 64 didn't even feel like a Mario game. Everything about it was unnerving, disorienting, forced, repetitive, stale, and out of place. Sunshine wasn't much better. Galaxy finally got 3D Mario right; while 3D Land / World brought it to perfection.

9.) Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, Zelda 2, and Battle of Olympus will always be the best NES games imo.

10.) I honestly don't see the hype of Rare made franchises such as Banjo-Kazooie (I personally felt it was an awfully boring game) and Battletoads. I think the only Rare developed franchise I loved is Wizards & Warriors.

11.) Super Mario Maker has proven that people are too pampered by easier modern games, or driven to masochism through unfair fan / indie games; based on either salt I've received for my easy stage, or seeing all the BS I have to deal with on Expert 100 Mario Challenge. What ever happened to fair but challenging "NES Hard" difficulty?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice

1.) I strongly dislike pretty much everything Melee stands for and brought to Smash. I don't feel a fighter needs frame perfect ATs and bunch of other unnecessary complications to be a fulfilling and competitive game, which is why Smash 4 is currently my favorite installment of Smash in spite of its flaws. I honestly cringe at the sight of a once beloved GameCube controller and characters like Fox now cause of the Melee community.

2.) I feel that GTA should NOT have the honor of being called a videogame considering that it's tasteless trash: nothing but senseless violence, drugs, sex, and sexual violence (you can kill a prostitute to get your money back - wtf). I honestly vomited when I learned GTA V shattered almost every single sales World Record in the videogame industry. Back when I worked at GameStop, when they forced me to push GTA V, I refused based on my principles, stuck to backroom work, and got laid off shortly after.

3.) I honestly don't get the hype behind the FPS genre, especially CoD after I've seen how its players get. From a political standpoint, I can't stomach how the series is pretty much just imperialist propaganda that paints that every nation is **** in comparison to America - especially if they're not Capitalist. I also can't stomach how CoD paints that torture tactics are okay if it's America doing it, but not if anyone else does. Ugh, no, just no.

4.) Gratuitous fan service... please stop. Now. IDGAF if sex sells. It's horribly counterproductive when you consider it also turns off, and drives away, would-be girl gamers. I don't want to be #ForeverAlone just because people want their DoA jiggle physics, or Bayonetta to be practically naked the entire game. This adds NOTHING to the plot. Did ZSS honestly need to have an alternate outfit where she's in daisy dukes and what appears to be a sports bra? Did Quiet honestly need to be as revealing as she is for the lamest plot device ever?

5.) While good games in their own rite, I find OoT and aLttP to be terribly overrated. They are by FAR NOT the best thing to happen to Zelda.

6.) The original LoZ, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, and Majora's Mask, to me, will always be the end all, be all, of Zelda. Wind Waker and the latter half of Twilight Princess get honorable mentions from me.

7.) Alundra single-handedly did top-down view Zelda games better than Nintendo ever could.

8.) Super Mario 64 didn't even feel like a Mario game. Everything about it was unnerving, disorienting, forced, repetitive, stale, and out of place. Sunshine wasn't much better. Galaxy finally got 3D Mario right; while 3D Land / World brought it to perfection.

9.) Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, Zelda 2, and Battle of Olympus will always be the best NES games imo.

10.) I honestly don't see the hype of Rare made franchises such as Banjo-Kazooie (I personally felt it was an awfully boring game) and Battletoads. I think the only Rare developed franchise I loved is Wizards & Warriors.

11.) Super Mario Maker has proven that people are too pampered by easier modern games, or driven to masochism through unfair fan / indie games; based on either salt I've received for my easy stage, or seeing all the BS I have to deal with on Expert 100 Mario Challenge. What ever happened to fair but challenging "NES Hard" difficulty?
Wow similar to me. I especially agree on 2,3 and 4.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Funny, I hardly see anyone talk about Sonic 3, I only hear people say Sonic 2 is the best and everything else is crap.
Hell, Sonic 1 and 2 are available on nearly every device that has internet, but Sonic 3 is very selective, there's still no PS3 nor 3DS version of Sonic 3 for one thing. I find the game to be pretty ignored.
It might just be a change in the times. I remember back in the mid-2000s S3&K dominating every top 10 Genesis/top 10 Sonic games list. Maybe people are starting to look at the other Genesis games now.

If military shooters aren't your thing I suggest trying some of the more fun and over the top shooters like Halo, Quake, Doom or TimeSplitters before you wright off the entire genre. A lot of games get overshadowed by CoD, but it's not all OORAH GO MARINES brofests like the mainstream would have you believe.

What's TOS?
Tales of Symphonia, a fun but terribly generic RPG.

Last edited:

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
It might just be a change in the times. I remember back in the mid-2000s S3&K dominating every top 10 Genesis/top 10 Sonic games list. Maybe people are starting to look at the other Genesis games now.
Story of my life
By the time I get to liking something, it becomes niche.

This is fine tho, it makes finding my "real" friends easier.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
These are opinions, and thus not open to debate
LOOOOL, that's not how this works.

I always hate when people are like "IT'S AN OPINION, MAN, YOU CAN'T TELL ME I'M WRONG" when, in fact, many opinions are based in irrationality or misconception. I'm not saying any of yours are, but putting up a wall of defense against having your mind changed is basically unequivocally a bad idea.

Last edited:
D

DeleteThisAcct

I always hate when people are like "IT'S AN OPINION, MAN, YOU CAN'T TELL ME I'M WRONG" when, in fact, many opinions are based in irrationality or misconception. I'm not saying any of yours are, but putting up a wall of defense against having your mind changed is basically unequivocally a bad idea.
I didn't say you can't tell me I'm wrong, but rather to not waste your time because my mind is set, I'm not willingly to debate how I FEEL, and you won't change it. You see, when two people go into something with a willingness to change their viewpoint, then it's a debate. If either party is not willing to change their view for any number of reasons, then it just becomes a lecture / monologue from the other side. I'm not in the mood for that. If someone doesn't like that, then whatever, but I'm not in the mood to hash out things more than I already have.

This is an UNPOPULAR OPINION thread - they're unpopular for a reason. I don't need someone to beat it over my head just how unpopular it is. We don't need zealots trying to convert us and make us conform to their ways. If I dislike something, you can't make me like it or say I'm not allowed to dislike it because of X.

D

DeleteThisAcct

Talk all the **** you want about modern games holding your hand, at least it gives you something to go on. You can't do anything in the first Zelda until you've memorized the overworld map. The game is unplayable without a walkthrough, which is worse than any amount of hand-holding I've ever suffered through.
I wouldn't go as far as saying unplayable because it does allow for sequence breaking. Have a candle, enough bombs, a blue ring, arrows (maybe) and a potion, and you can successfully raid Labyrinth 8 for it's Master Key to LOL all over the other labyrinths - something I did by freak accident as a kid thanks to being stubborn. I won't deny Zelda 1 is mostly a "Guide Dang It" trope, but anyone can feel their way through it if they love exploring because the game is fair.

Unpopular opinion: Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn was the best Fire Emblem game and had the best mechanics.
This is unpopular? Since when? It has the deepest story of all the FE titles while hitting home with parallels on some major current issues. RD is my favorite too.

finalark

SNORLAX

Fact: There is nothing wrong with changing one's opinion based on new information or after considering a perspective that may not have occurred to you before.

Besides, what's even the point of stating an opinion if you expect it to just sit there and not generate any discussion?

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I didn't say you can't tell me I'm wrong, but rather to not waste your time because my mind is set, I'm not willingly to debate how I FEEL, and you won't change it.
So if you thought that Steve Perry was a reprehensible human being because he killed goats to drink peanuts from their blood, you would still feel that Steve Perry was a reprehensible human being upon discovering that none of those things are even close to true? Think about the implications of what you say.

This is unpopular? Since when? It has the deepest story of all the FE titles while hitting home with parallels on some major current issues. RD is my favorite too.
I haven't played Radiant Dawn, nor have I finished PoR, but what what I did play of PoR didn't impress me in the story department. It's really anvilicious in its "Racism is bad!" message, which isn't something anyone is likely to dispute.

finalark

SNORLAX
I haven't played Radiant Dawn, nor have I finished PoR, but what what I did play of PoR didn't impress me in the story department. It's really anvilicious in its "Racism is bad!" message, which isn't something anyone is likely to dispute.
The FE games tend to be really weak in the story department anyway. Most people play them for the challenging game play and character building. Usually the little vignettes you get for social links tend to be the best part of the story.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
The FE games tend to be really weak in the story department anyway. Most people play them for the challenging game play and character building. Usually the little vignettes you get for social links tend to be the best part of the story.
Nobody's gonna deny that, but most of the FE stories I've experienced haven't been so painful about driving home such an obvious point.

D

DeleteThisAcct

Besides, what's even the point of stating an opinion if you expect it to just sit there and not generate any discussion?
You can generate discussion without crusading to force your own opinions and beliefs down another's throat for having said their piece. I've lost count of how many tried to convert me into thinking Melee is the best. It's the best TO YOU! Not to me, and you can talk til you're blue in the face, and you won't ever change my mind. It's not the way I want to play competitive Smash, nor is it how I feel Smash should be played. Notice the word feel. You're not going to change or invalidate how I feel, that's that; nothing is more obnoxious than the elitists who'll then try to bring me down a peg and call me casual simply because it's not my playstyle. I personally hated it once competitive play became dependent on difficult and / or obnoxious (to me) ATs. That doesn't make me casual, I enter tournaments for Smash 4, and the second you do tourneys - you're competitive. Period.

Sometimes people need to vent too. Let them speak their mind and walk away instead of badgering them over how wrong you THINK they are. Almost everything being hashed here is subjective, not objective, because no one can prove for example what the "best" Smash or Zelda game is. Best means different things to different people because on how much weight they place particular values.

So if you thought that Steve Perry was a reprehensible human being because he killed goats to drink peanuts from their blood, you would still feel that Steve Perry was a reprehensible human being upon discovering that none of those things are even close to true? Think about the implications of what you say.
I get your point, but in the context of this thread, you're drawing a false parallel. I'm talking about how I feel, not what is and what isn't. For example, I feel GTA is tasteless trash. You can neither prove nor disprove that because what's tasteless trash to me, may not be for you, and vice-versa.

Maybe I'm over-analyzing but RD didn't just hit racism, but indirectly hit the whole same-sex marriage vs. the church situation with how the Senate concocted lies and said that Laguz + Beorc relations are a "crime against the Goddess" (doesn't that sound awfully familiar to the right-wing who cry how same-sex relations are "an abomination in the eyes of the Lord" and "sinful" when ironically enough scripture only speaks against sodomy and the vague blanket term of "sexual immorality" - something people of any orientation can do - but that's another story for another thread), greed, political corruption, etc. It also gets really philosophical about our perceptions of good and evil, the concept of a more human-like and flawed god, etc.

Radiant Dawn is pretty deep if you put on your analytic lens.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Maybe I'm over-analyzing but RD didn't just hit racism, but indirectly hit the whole same-sex marriage vs. the church situation with how the Senate concocted lies and said that Laguz + Beorc relations are a "crime against the Goddess" (doesn't that sound awfully familiar to the right-wing who cry how same-sex relations are "an abomination in the eyes of the Lord" and "sinful" when ironically enough scripture only speaks against sodomy and the vague blanket term of "sexual immorality" - something people of any orientation can do - but that's another story for another thread), greed, political corruption, etc. It also gets really philosophical about our perceptions of good and evil, the concept of a more human-like and flawed god, etc.
Maybe I just didn't play far enough. I had a hard time finding a physical copy at the time, and the build of Dolphin I was running ran horribly, even with all the speed hacks on.

Radiant Dawn is pretty deep if you put on your analytic lens.
If you like deep games, try Xenogears (PS1). If you have a hard time finding a physical copy, the game is on the PS3's online store. If you don't have a PS3, the best PS1emulator I've used is PCSX-R. Or am I thinking of ePSXe? I think it was PCSX-R. You'll find out pretty quickly, there's a wavy effect in the beginning of the game that's pretty taxing. Whichever one lags out the worst is the one you don't want to use.

FYI, you will have to play with the settings, particularly the video settings. The wavy effect I mentioned is a good test for this - It's at the beginning of the game, and if your settings are wrong your screen will be mostly or entirely black with characters' text boxes over it. If the proper settings cause too much lag, there's only a few parts of the game where you actually need them to see what's happening.

Also, save states are your friend in the first Deus fight. One of his attacks does weird stuff with the frame buffer. "Weird" meaning, "Not correctly emulated". Unless you're very lucky, you will crash a few times.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
If this were a POPULAR opinion thread maybe, but this is unpopular so I doubt there's any issue.

SSBM was a game that I enjoyed playing very much, but I kinda agree about the whole "needing to abuse game physics to become competitively viable" thing. I've watched videos of some of the best players going at each other and saw some of the weirdest things happening in the matches, which include phantom hits, instant, game changing meteor cancels, and many more besides. And I think to myself: "how is SSBM the most beloved game in the eyes of the competitive community when the game's mechanics are so horribly broken?". Anyway, too many things happen that shouldn't, which can completely and unfairly tip the scales in another player's favor.

GCN controller is still best controller, though.

I'll be honest, I liked GTA back in the PS2 days, but GTA IV onward, things got a little TOO real. I mean, at this point I might as well watch a movie if I want to see the darker side of city life. This is one of the reasons I've grown to prefer Saints Row over GTA. It isn't just about the gangs and seedy city life, stupidly silly things happen(zombies, futuristic soldiers, hulked-out clones, aliens), but they're so stupid it's fun. Unfortunately, turning video games into movies is a growing trend these days.

Personally, I shove aside any political or religious undertones that a game might have. I was into CoD for a while, but fell out of the loop after 4, just couldn't get into it anymore. What more can possibly be done with the series that already hasn't been done? To this day, I consider series like Unreal Tournament and Borderlands to be superior to any other shooter nowadays. No controversial undertones, no unnecessarily deep plots, just nothing but stupid, silly, explosive fun.

Well sure, if they WANT to be offended by such a thing. Yes, it doesn't add anything to the plot, nor should it. You have to remember one thing here: This is Japan we're talking about, this is how they do things. Their characters, their design choices. Just as us westerners have our tastes in character aesthetics, Japan has theirs. Even though I call out Japan for this, I'm pretty sure it's the case with any developer, but Japan seems to be the most notable in this case.

They are great games, but overall I prefer Wind Waker. There was just something about it that really spoke to me.

See my previous comment.

Don't know anything about it, so I won't say anything.

Eh, I think they're all good in their own way.

Don't know about the third, but I happen to like Simon's Quest, and to a lesser extent Zelda II(which kinda felt like a copy of Simon's Quest). I wish Simon's Quest was remade to be more in line with some of the modern games in the series. There were some things it did that could've been done better. Gotta give it credit though, it became the basis for the success of future games like SotN.

I have some fond memories of Banjo-Kazooie. It's a shame I don't have my old 64 anymore, I'd love to play it again. That and I never played the second game, which I knew existed but never got sadly.

It could be the modern day gaming culture. Back in the day, gaming was for, you know, dedicated gamers who were willing to take on the challenge of the NES games. Nowadays, there are a lot of "casual" gamers who may or may not respond to the thrill of actually attempting and overcoming the challenges that those games presented. And the developers adjust accordingly to this shift in gamer mentality, or should I say, shift in the masses' mentality. That's just basic business practice, to seek the widest audience possible with what appeals to them, while the more dedicated gamers run the risk of getting the short end of the stick. We still have games that appeal to our more experienced side, but like I said, they've taken a back seat to those with ease-of-access. It's a shame, but what are you going to do?

You can generate discussion without crusading to force your own opinions and beliefs down another's throat for having said their piece. I've lost count of how many tried to convert me into thinking Melee is the best. It's the best TO YOU! Not to me, and you can talk til you're blue in the face, and you won't ever change my mind. It's not the way I want to play competitive Smash, nor is it how I feel Smash should be played. Notice the word feel. You're not going to change or invalidate how I feel, that's that; nothing is more obnoxious than the elitists who'll then try to bring me down a peg and call me casual simply because it's not my playstyle. I personally hated it once competitive play became dependent on difficult and / or obnoxious (to me) ATs. That doesn't make me casual, I enter tournaments for Smash 4, and the second you do tourneys - you're competitive. Period.
Ok dude, you're sounding a little too defensive right now. I don't think this is what finalark finalark was getting at.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Well sure, if they WANT to be offended by such a thing. Yes, it doesn't add anything to the plot, nor should it. You have to remember one thing here: This is Japan we're talking about, this is how they do things. Their characters, their design choices. Just as us westerners have our tastes in character aesthetics, Japan has theirs. Even though I call out Japan for this, I'm pretty sure it's the case with any developer, but Japan seems to be the most notable in this case.
I'm not sure how saying "This is Japan" is an argument.

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
So I sort of loosely browsed this thread and I'm not too sure what has or hasn't been said in depth already, but here I go:

I think Shovel Knight is only popular because of nostalgia. They just took Mega Man, painted it with a veneer of sarcastic, The Office look directly at the camera humor and slapped it on Steam. Then a bunch of the 20 somethings snapped it up because waaah gaming has changed and I'm scared.

Honestly, Pokemon is better now than it has ever been. When I think back to playing Pokemon Blue on my gameboy color and how I was constantly saying to myself "Where do I go next? What am I supposed to be doing? Why don't these attacks work?" I shudder. Every generation has does something to improve the experience from differentiating physical and special attacks to adding new types to balance the type chart to the new EXP share so you don't have to spend literal days grinding. The whole thing is just a cleaner, simpler, more enjoyable experience.

Related: The complaining about modern Pokemon designs needs to stop.

Sonic as a franchise needs to die and probably shouldn't have even made the jump to 3D. It did a lot for 2D platformers in its day, but now it's universally mocked. It's like watching a grandparent with dementia spill food all over themselves. Its so incredibly sad.

Weirdly I think the first Half Life aged a lot better than Half Life 2 due in large part to the Source Engine being a janky pile of nonsense.

I really enjoyed Dragon Age 2 even though it seems everyone else hated it.

And then on a broad level I think "gaming culture" as a whole is a gross stew of entitled, crying man-children who want shiny new things, but not too new because everything should be like the 90s/early 00s. Also, sexism, racism, and homophobia are huge huge HUGE problems within the community due to those groups being exploited, belittled, and threatened by aforementioned man-children who don't want things to change. I'm part of the problem, you're part of the problem, and it will not disappear if you scream enough slurs.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
So I sort of loosely browsed this thread and I'm not too sure what has or hasn't been said in depth already, but here I go:

I think Shovel Knight is only popular because of nostalgia. They just took Mega Man, painted it with a veneer of sarcastic, The Office look directly at the camera humor and slapped it on Steam. Then a bunch of the 20 somethings snapped it up because waaah gaming has changed and I'm scared.
I haven't played Shovel Knight, but I'm certain nostalgia is only a small part of it's success. Nostalgia only gets you so far, it still needs to be able to stand on it's own.

Sonic as a franchise needs to die and probably shouldn't have even made the jump to 3D. It did a lot for 2D platformers in its day, but now it's universally mocked. It's like watching a grandparent with dementia spill food all over themselves. Its so incredibly sad.
I'm sure if you read this thread you'd realize that it's nowhere near universally mocked. You could say it's a hyperbole, but even then there's a very sizable amount of people who'd disagree.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm 19 and was born when the Nintendo 64 was in full swing, and grew up with the GameCube. I couldn't possibly be nostalgic for the NES or the SNES.

I think Shovel Knight is a great game.

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I'm not sure how saying "This is Japan" is an argument.
Maybe I should've worded it better. Some of the most well known Japanese developers tend to design their female characters in an over-sexualized style, which upon playing their games, I've come to expect that from them. I have no issue with it, just offering my thoughts on the matter.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I have no idea if this is an unpopular opinion, considering First Person Shooters are still selling a lot despite everyone's words.

But I'm really not a fan of the genre.

I dislike my limited view, I'm locked into a tunnel vision so most of the time I can't tell where I'm being shot from, and worse, I keep getting stuck on rocks and other obstructions while I'm trying to move around, since I can't see my feet while I'm trying to move around.

I also dislike the mobility, tho this is more so with modern FPS. Back in the day of Serious Sam, movement in FPS was quick and snappy and you could zippidy doo all over the map, so evading fire wasn't that much of an issue, but since the inclusion of "sprinting", walk speeds I find to be painfully slow, and most times I just feel like a tank that has no choice but to just sit there and take the beatings, or hide behind cover like a coward, ugh.

And what's up with modern FPS games ditching the weapon wheel? That was like, one of the best things, carefully picking the right gun for your current situation.

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Wow. I was almost speechless here.

I haven't even played Shovel Knight and even I think this is very irrational thinking.

There is nothing inherently wrong with a modern retro game. Not everything needs to look modern. I enjoy both old and new gaming and treat them equally. I love the hell out of Cave Story and Freedom Planet, both are great games that happens to take old game design cues.

Sorry but to me it just sounds like you're a very judgmental person who tends to look at things in a bad light. Seeing as how you generalize anyone for liking or disliking things. Not everyone that loves Retro games are these "I hate everything new because old is better!!" types. Those are only the very vocal minority.

I love retro gaming, and many games I love from the 90s are games I never grew up with. Nostalgia doesn't play any role in my enjoyment with games like Mega Man. And I find it very insulting you decide what motivates people to enjoy things. It's a very close minded mindset, don't you think?

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I don't think that shoving everything on Japanese game development is fair. While the sterotype is ambiguously aged Japanese school girls flaunting their panties and ridiculously over sized breasts people seem to forget that westerners make fan-servicey characters too.

Although honestly I feel like being offended by overly sexy female characters in a video game is kind of like being offended by the stunningly handsome, buff and potentially dangerous (but tamable) men found in romance films. Obviously neither side are intending to insult anyone, it's just that people who play those games and watch those movies are usually in it for a certain kind of escape. And of course, people who are into that sort of thing are usually very aware of the fact that expecting a man or woman to be like that in real life is just ridiculous and are just in it for the eye candy.

Last edited:

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I never understood why the abbreviation for that cartoon was "Saturday Morning"
Many cartoons aired on Saturday morning, what made it the one to be "SatAM"?

finalark

SNORLAX
I never understood why the abbreviation for that cartoon was "Saturday Morning"
Many cartoons aired on Saturday morning, what made it the one to be "SatAM"?
Because between that, Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Underground, Sonic X and Sonic Boom there's been five animated Sonic series. Since that one is just called "Sonic the Hedgehog" we had to find some way to differentiate it from the others.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Not sure if this counts as gaming (or if it's unpopular), but Game Theory is an incredibly overrated Youtuber that fails at both making logical game theories as well as trying to be funny.

Last edited:

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
Not sure if this counts as gaming (or if it's unpopular), but Game Theory is an incredibly overrated Youtuber that fails at both making logical game theories as well as trying to be funny.

I like Matt Patt, even if I end up disagreeing with his thought process, he does always leave me with something to think about to at the very least better form my own head canon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom