• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I like Matt Patt, even if I end up disagreeing with his thought process, he does always leave me with something to think about to at the very least better form my own head canon.
Yeah not all of his videos are bad (his TF2 Pyro video was pretty interesting despite a few stretches). It's just that sometimes he stretches his theories a bit too much ("this block scale shows that Wario is 10 feet tall") and his humor is really cringey to me. I also don't like how he relies on click-bait for most of his videos (but then again most popular Youtubers do that).

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
You're not alone in your dislike of MatPat. Really, most of the Youtube gaming sphere that isn't subbed to him doesn't like his content. It's not hard to see why. I want to unsub, but then I remember that his early videos were really decent and I end up staying subbed in the vain hope that he'll produce decent content again instead of producing poorly-contructed, badly-thought out drivel to milk money out of a fandom he hasn't cared about for years.

finalark

SNORLAX
I feel like a lot of MattPat's vids are hit or miss. I initially subscribed to the channel because I liked how his videos were about applying science to video games. Unfortunately, as his popularity grew I feel like his channel lost focus. These days he's gone from the guy who used math and science to figure out how fast (Genesis)Sonic is running to the guy who explains whatever the current FNAF game is supposed to be about.

I still watch his show here and there if he releases an episode that interests me, and I do find some of his headcannon vids interesting. But I do which he'd return to his "science meets video games" roots.

JNOON

Smash Rookie
I love Pokemon but I'm not going to lie to myself - it gets pretty ****ing boring.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I used to like GT in the sense of science with gaming but it became more headcanon discussions, clickbait videos, memespouting and his fights with Scott Cawrin.

I decided to drop the channel a long time ago and I haven't looked back.

D

DeleteThisAcct

SimonBarSinister SimonBarSinister It's nice to find people who agree with me on the majority of what I said. Anytime I voiced my opinions in a public setting amongst other gamers, I'd just get ridiculed and asked if I'm being serious.

SSBM was a game that I enjoyed playing very much, but I kinda agree about the whole "needing to abuse game physics to become competitively viable" thing. I've watched videos of some of the best players going at each other and saw some of the weirdest things happening in the matches, which include phantom hits, instant, game changing meteor cancels, and many more besides. And I think to myself: "how is SSBM the most beloved game in the eyes of the competitive community when the game's mechanics are so horribly broken?". Anyway, too many things happen that shouldn't, which can completely and unfairly tip the scales in another player's favor.
I think you're the only person I've encountered so far who actually gets this and agrees with me versus replying with, "LOL git gud scrub" or "filthy casual" or "huehuehue go back to Tr4sh with the other kiddies" or some lecture on how wrong I am and how that all expands the depth and gameplay options of Smash, and thus superior in every way, shape, and form.

This alone makes me wish I could shake your hand.

Personally, I shove aside any political or religious undertones that a game might have. I was into CoD for a while, but fell out of the loop after 4, just couldn't get into it anymore. What more can possibly be done with the series that already hasn't been done? To this day, I consider series like Unreal Tournament and Borderlands to be superior to any other shooter nowadays. No controversial undertones, no unnecessarily deep plots, just nothing but stupid, silly, explosive fun.
I've been sorta looking into that myself since a friend has been telling me about Team Fortress 2.

Well sure, if they WANT to be offended by such a thing. Yes, it doesn't add anything to the plot, nor should it. You have to remember one thing here: This is Japan we're talking about, this is how they do things. Their characters, their design choices. Just as us westerners have our tastes in character aesthetics, Japan has theirs. Even though I call out Japan for this, I'm pretty sure it's the case with any developer, but Japan seems to be the most notable in this case.
I'm going to have to agree with Kurri ★ Kurri ★ and finalark finalark that it's rather unfair and incorrect to dump the blame entirely on Japan. As for being offended, when it's THAT blatant and in your face, especially when prominently shown on boxart and posters at your local game store, you have to admit that it doesn't leave a pleasant taste at all in the mouths of the gender being objectified. To me, it's tasteless, offensive, and embarassing and I'm not even a girl, if I were a girl, especially one who was on the fence about gaming and gamers, and that's my first or primary impression of the culture, I'd get as far away as far away could get. The industry, and other gamers need to understand that and perhaps why the gender balance ratio is so out of whack - cause women really are treated and / or viewed like pieces of meat in a considerable amount of gaming - both in the products itself, and by the community.

It needs to stop. Period. I've lost count of how many girls who initially shown interest in me, avoided me like the plague the second they realized I was into gaming because of how the industry paints and treats women; causing me to have to do damage control and hastily explain how I'm not like that, and don't associate with that, how I'm a Nintendo and classic gamer for a reason - to get away from that crap. The struggle is real for single people like me thanks to how reckless the industry is about the average woman, and their devil-may-care attitude about said average woman's first and / or lasting impression of the industry.

If the shoe were on the other foot, I'm sure we'd be repulsed if we saw nearly every male character in just speedos; or an open leather jacket with nothing on underneath and skin tight leather pants that left nothing to the imagination; or something out of a Levi jeans commercial like those smooth chested yet ripped shirtless cowboys. (I think I just felt my breakfast come back up with all this mental imagery) It's ridiculous, over the top, and degrading / insulting.

Don't know about the third, but I happen to like Simon's Quest, and to a lesser extent Zelda II(which kinda felt like a copy of Simon's Quest). I wish Simon's Quest was remade to be more in line with some of the modern games in the series. There were some things it did that could've been done better. Gotta give it credit though, it became the basis for the success of future games like SotN.
I'm glad someone else notices that and appreciates what Simon's Quest got the ball rolling on. I feel it was just ahead of its time, but ultimately, if I could make my own videogames, they'd be just like it.

Sadly, I don't know many people who have played The Battle of Olympus, it's such a great game and it belongs to the Side-Scrolling Action / RPG genre much like Zelda II and Simon's Quest, only with a Greek mythology theme and that intense "NES Hard" difficulty. I think once EGM ranked it as the hardest, yet still fair, NES game of all time. Coming out after both Zelda II and Simon's Quest, the developer had time to avoid what the other two did wrong. To me, if you're a fan of the genre, it's required viewing.

Ok dude, you're sounding a little too defensive right now. I don't think this is what finalark finalark was getting at.
I have reason to be defensive given that is ultimately the path such discussions go, and I'm not going to rehash the same arguments again and again. I was also just explaining how you can say something, and then have discussion build around it without the discussion ultimately degenerating into I'm right, you're wrong, and now I'm going to force you to see it my way lecture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if this counts as gaming (or if it's unpopular), but Game Theory is an incredibly overrated Youtuber that fails at both making logical game theories as well as trying to be funny.
Really the majority of the most watched Youtube gaming channels are pretty awful.

Also to add another opinion into the fray I feel really cheated by the fact Ryu was put in SSB4 and Nintendo picked a pretty generic character who's making probably didn't require much creativity. As much as I like Street Fighter I was very disappointed with the selection.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
It needs to stop. Period. I've lost count of how many girls who initially shown interest in me, avoided me like the plague the second they realized I was into gaming because of how the industry paints and treats women; causing me to have to do damage control and hastily explain how I'm not like that, and don't associate with that, how I'm a Nintendo and classic gamer for a reason - to get away from that crap. The struggle is real for single people like me thanks to how reckless the industry is about the average woman, and their devil-may-care attitude about said average woman's first and / or lasting impression of the industry.
On the offhand, there are a significant amount of female Dead or Alive fans.

If the shoe were on the other foot, I'm sure we'd be repulsed if we saw nearly every male character in just speedos; or an open leather jacket with nothing on underneath and skin tight leather pants that left nothing to the imagination; or something out of a Levi jeans commercial like those smooth chested yet ripped shirtless cowboys. (I think I just felt my breakfast come back up with all this mental imagery) It's ridiculous, over the top, and degrading / insulting.
Well, to be fair....

Yeah, I've seen a significant amount of women enjoying over-the-top fan service-y stuff on the level of Senran Kagura, DoA, etc. Not saying everyone finds it okay, but not everyone is on the same wavelength

And Metal Gear is the ultimate in female fan service. Date with Kaz is truly something to behold.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
To play Devil's Advocate for a second, think about it this way: How many franchises (or even games) out there primarily focus on male fanservice? And not like one or two moments, I mean like Senran Kagura or DoA where you can tell a lot of the focus is on the sexiness of the characters.

Last edited:

SSJ1/2

Smash Rookie
Alright, I'm gonna talk about my opinions of the Call of Duty series.

Ghosts is my favorite CoD game. I don't understand why people like to bash it. The campaign was great, but multiplayer is just superb. The maps are fantastic, and I love the variety of weapons. The mix and match loadout creation was integrated perfectly, in my opinion.

Alternatively, while I thoroughly enjoyed Advanced Warfare's campaign (it's my personal favorite campaign of all the games), I can't play multiplayer. The exo-gear ruins it for me. It just doesn't feel as much fun to me. I do like the maps, however.

I didn't really end up liking the Modern Warfare series. MW3's multiplayer was fun. I didn't like the story because it just felt boring and I didn't connect to any of the characters at all. MW/2, as much as people like to praise them, just felt dull and boring.

I liked Black Ops, mostly for Gun Game and One In The Chamber, but I haven't played II.

finalark

SNORLAX
Tech related one: Unless they're side by side I really can't tell the difference between 60FPS and 30.

And I really don't think it affects game play that much in most cases. I've played games in 30FPS and then 60 and never really felt like the experience was somehow better or worth losing my mind over.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
It's half and half for me. While I can see why 60fps is better (especially with games that demand a lot of input), it's not like the experience is ruined for me because it's at 30.

I dunno. Maybe it's because I'm a console pleb, but in my opinion it's not a game killer.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
Tech related one: Unless they're side by side I really can't tell the difference between 60FPS and 30.

And I really don't think it affects game play that much in most cases. I've played games in 30FPS and then 60 and never really felt like the experience was somehow better or worth losing my mind over.
In a fast paced game like a beat-em up or a fighting game, you definitely will feel the difference. This is not up for debate. Any other genre, or in general games that don't require you to react to things at a moment's notice, then yes it won't matter much.

But when it comes to getting the proper timing to Dante's jump cancel combos in DMC3, or getting Witch Time consistently in Bayonetta, 60FPS is the bare minimum.

And fighting games, oh boi, 60, always, no compromise, can literally be a matter of life and death.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

As said, it really depends on the game.
In fighting games, racing games, beat-e'm-up/hack-n-slash 60fps is pretty much necessary.
Most games today however are (quite conveniently) epic story-based adventure and shooting games, which work fine at 30fps.
Though it makes you wonder...

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I'm going to have to agree with Kurri ★ Kurri ★ and finalark finalark that it's rather unfair and incorrect to dump the blame entirely on Japan. As for being offended, when it's THAT blatant and in your face, especially when prominently shown on boxart and posters at your local game store, you have to admit that it doesn't leave a pleasant taste at all in the mouths of the gender being objectified. To me, it's tasteless, offensive, and embarassing and I'm not even a girl, if I were a girl, especially one who was on the fence about gaming and gamers, and that's my first or primary impression of the culture, I'd get as far away as far away could get. The industry, and other gamers need to understand that and perhaps why the gender balance ratio is so out of whack - cause women really are treated and / or viewed like pieces of meat in a considerable amount of gaming - both in the products itself, and by the community.
I admit that I'm a bit prejudiced towards Japan in this particular case, so maybe it was a little hasty of me to call them out. But as far as being blatantly offensive to certain groups in particular, there is one thing to remember in all of this: They're just video games. They aren't real. I find it somewhat ridiculous that there are people that would take offense to what they see in a media format that has no real bearing on what happens in reality. Why would anyone get angry at something that isn't real? Do people really see a message hidden in all of those 1s and 0s which suggests to them that the developers should design their games with a more politically correct mindset? If so, then it's the people complaining that need to change, not the games. You can try to put yourself in another group's shoes all you want, but at the end of the day, it's just a form of entertainment and it should be treated as such. I've been a gamer all my life, and my attitude towards women won't be influenced by whatever video games I play. And nor should it be. If I'm gonna be a jerk to women, I'm gonna be a jerk on my own terms. I don't need a video game to do it for me. But what do I know? I'm just a dude that plays video games.

It "needs to stop"? Saying how game developers should or shouldn't design their games is like telling artists what they can and can't paint. If game developers can't express themselves the way they want to, then why should we be able to? And one of the reasons you want this to change is because a few girls decided not to hang out with you because you're a gamer? I really don't know what to say to this, except that I'd consider you the lucky one for not getting involved with someone who lacks even the least amount of perspective on the matter. If you like video games, you like video games, and no one should tell you you're wrong for liking them.

Ah, the glory days of the NES, when ripped, shirtless dudes ran around blasting aliens and vampires had to deal with hunters and their manskirts. Personally, I find a lot of humor in this. I mean, why would they wear such a scant amount of protection? And in the middle of combat no less? It's stupid, but I can't help but laugh about it.

I have reason to be defensive given that is ultimately the path such discussions go, and I'm not going to rehash the same arguments again and again. I was also just explaining how you can say something, and then have discussion build around it without the discussion ultimately degenerating into I'm right, you're wrong, and now I'm going to force you to see it my way lecture.
Well, the fact that you're being defensive kind of indicates that you are advocating such a direction. Sure, many discussions go this way because people tend to get defensive at times when it may not be necessary, but as far as I know, this isn't that type of discussion. But I'll repeat myself, this is an unpopular opinion thread. No flame shields necessary.

D

DeleteThisAcct

But as far as being blatantly offensive to certain groups in particular, there is one thing to remember in all of this: They're just video games. They aren't real. I find it somewhat ridiculous that there are people that would take offense to what they see in a media format that has no real bearing on what happens in reality. Why would anyone get angry at something that isn't real? Do people really see a message hidden in all of those 1s and 0s which suggests to them that the developers should design their games with a more politically correct mindset? If so, then it's the people complaining that need to change, not the games. You can try to put yourself in another group's shoes all you want, but at the end of the day, it's just a form of entertainment and it should be treated as such. I've been a gamer all my life, and my attitude towards women won't be influenced by whatever video games I play. And nor should it be. If I'm gonna be a jerk to women, I'm gonna be a jerk on my own terms. I don't need a video game to do it for me. But what do I know? I'm just a dude that plays video games.
You're missing the point, entirely, and almost willfully. Whether it's real or not, or the take-away you personally get from it, is irrelevant. If someone made a game with messed up racial or sexual stereotypes or hate propaganda, for example, are you saying that's okay too because it's just not real and just a videogame? Certain things are not, or should not, be acceptable in modern culture and civilized society. So yes, either they should at the very least, stop being tasteless if they want a dime of my money, or GTFO.

Regardless, their smut makes me look bad and I'm sick of being judged on the grounds of guilt by association. The loudest voices are the man-children neckbeards who are so dependent on their senseless fan service and violence porn (the same type that sends death threats over nerfs in CoD, or to any civilized person that campaigns to make the industry not a cesspool of DoA jiggle physics) that they're less mature than my little cousins!

It "needs to stop"? Saying how game developers should or shouldn't design their games is like telling artists what they can and can't paint. If game developers can't express themselves the way they want to, then why should we be able to?
They can do what they want in private, but public exhibition is another thing (and don't start with that "but my freedom of speech" crap - because Freedom of Speech, as it is written, only serves to protect you from the government punishing you over what you say - not from private or public backlash by the populace. For example, if I own an establishment and you say something I don't like or wear a shirt I find offensive, I can make you leave) the second it starts casting a negative light on an entire culture just to satisfy their own perversion, greed, and / or to pacify an obnoxiously loud minority, is where I draw the line.

Also, imagine if you were to have daughters, do you want them being surrounded by that crap? Honestly.

And one of the reasons you want this to change is because a few girls decided not to hang out with you because you're a gamer? I really don't know what to say to this, except that I'd consider you the lucky one for not getting involved with someone who lacks even the least amount of perspective on the matter. If you like video games, you like video games, and no one should tell you you're wrong for liking them.
Finding a girl into gaming, let alone a single one, at least where I live, is near impossible. That leaves me with non-gamers whose only impression of videogames and gamers are what the mainstream media and advertisers throw in their face - gratuitous fan service and senseless violence. They see women paraded around like pieces of meat while someone teabags the dead in CoD while screaming obscenities at a child over voice chat. That is the stereotype and misconception I have to relentlessly combat to convince one of them to even give videogames or gamers a remote fraction of a chance.

So yeah, I'm going to put my foot down and say that the face of the industry is in dire need of an overhaul. When you go to tourney, or a midnight launch, or convention, there's a reason why those events are sausage fests - because the industry has painted itself as a grotesque boys club. I won't say this is the only reason, the other major reason being that parents believe that their daughters shouldn't be playing videogames and focus on more "girly" things - or at least that's what I've witnessed with my friends parents when they asked for an NES or SNES back in the day.

Ah, the glory days of the NES, when ripped, shirtless dudes ran around blasting aliens and vampires had to deal with hunters and their manskirts. Personally, I find a lot of humor in this. I mean, why would they wear such a scant amount of protection? And in the middle of combat no less? It's stupid, but I can't help but laugh about it.
Outside of Gauntlet and Ikari Warriors, I don't know what NES games you played but that was very seldom for me. Simon Belmont wasn't topless. Link wasn't either. Nor Mario. Nor MegaMan. Nor Sir Arthur. Nor... I think you get my point. I know some exist, but it wasn't nearly as commonplace as you're painting - and not nearly as commonplace as it is for women being overtly sexualized today and even back then.

finalark

SNORLAX
Regardless, their smut makes me look bad and I'm sick of being judged on the grounds of guilt by association. The loudest voices are the man-children neckbeards who are so dependent on their senseless fan service and violence porn (the same type that sends death threats over nerfs in CoD, or to any civilized person that campaigns to make the industry not a cesspool of DoA jiggle physics) that they're less mature than my little cousins!
Nobody over the age of thirteen finds DoA's water balloon boobs tantalizing. Besides, DoA is actually a really fun and rewarding fighter with a large number of females fans. Not sure what the problem is here.

Besides, when it comes to rage over nerfs its the supernerds you want to look out for. Most adult CoD fans are actually pretty chill. Unusually whenever you heard of actual documented cases of death threats over game changes it comes from the more traditionally "nerdy" groups like MOBA and MMO players.

You should have seen the WoW boards back in '08 when Death Knight launched.

Also, imagine if you were to have daughters, do you want them being surrounded by that crap? Honestly.
I don't think I'd really care. If my theoretical daughter was interested in video games and wanted to play, say, Dead or Alive (since you keep bringing it up) I'd actually be fine with it. Yes, the ladies are fanservicey but all of them kick a ton of ass and play active roles in the story. In that respect, it kind of sends a message that a woman can be both beautiful and strong and that those traits are not exclusive.

Besides, asking if you'd want your daughter to be surrounded by fanservicy games like asking if your son wants to be surrounded by trashy romance novels with idealized male leads. Chances are he really won't give a damn in the long run, likewise for a daughter.

IMO there's nothing wrong with stupid fanservicey games. Should romance writers stop making their male characters total beefcakes who are impossibly fit? No, because some people want to read about stuff like that. I know plenty of people who went and saw the Twilight films because they wanted to see a bunch of ripped dudes and pretty boys running around being ripped and pretty. In the same way, there's nothing wrong with some games being like this. Some people want to see a bunch of attractive women and men because beauty is gender neutral goddammit flaunting what they've got. And there's nothing wrong with that.

And honestly, unless you're extremely impressionable both genders are very aware that men and women are not like that in real life and that the game/movie/book/ect is just a temporary escape.

Outside of Gauntlet and Ikari Warriors, I don't know what NES games you played but that was very seldom for me. Simon Belmont wasn't topless. Link wasn't either. Nor Mario. Nor MegaMan. Nor Sir Arthur. Nor... I think you get my point. I know some exist, but it wasn't nearly as commonplace as you're painting - and not nearly as commonplace as it is for women being overtly sexualized today and even back then.
Did you even play Ghosts and Goblins

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
You're missing the point, entirely, and almost willfully. Whether it's real or not, or the take-away you personally get from it, is irrelevant. If someone made a game with messed up racial or sexual stereotypes or hate propaganda, for example, are you saying that's okay too because it's just not real and just a videogame? Certain things are not, or should not, be acceptable in modern culture and civilized society. So yes, either they should at the very least, stop being tasteless if they want a dime of my money, or GTFO.
So, this is more about your personal issue on what's acceptable or not in video game content, then? Anyway, my point stands. As long as the players(and those around them)are fully aware that they are just video games and don't try to apply anything there to reality, then my answer is a flat-out yes, it is ok. I'll say it again: Video games aren't the problem here; it's people. People can be conditioned to think what "civilized" society wants them to think if they don't have the ability to think for themselves, right, wrong or otherwise. And when people see something that they've been conditioned to speak out against, that's when trouble starts. All traces of rationality fly out the window and the torches and pitchforks come out(metaphorically of course). But really, no one is forcing you like anything. If you don't like particular game series out there, then don't indulge in them. Just, you know, don't tell others what they can and can't like.

You really should care less about what others think of you as a gamer. This is like saying gamers are a species from another planet or something. Are you saying that you'd rather fall in line with the crowd and get involved in something in which the time dedicated could be used better elsewhere than just enjoying what you like about gaming? And about the whole "DoA jiggle physics" thing, it's not like the ENTIRE video game industry will become this in the foreseeable future. It's not even like that now.
And the loudest voices tend to be a very vocal minority, emphasis on minority. Like anyone would pay attention to a handful of loud jerks.

They can do what they want in private, but public exhibition is another thing (and don't start with that "but my freedom of speech" crap - because Freedom of Speech, as it is written, only serves to protect you from the government punishing you over what you say - not from private or public backlash by the populace. For example, if I own an establishment and you say something I don't like or wear a shirt I find offensive, I can make you leave) the second it starts casting a negative light on an entire culture just to satisfy their own perversion, greed, and / or to pacify an obnoxiously loud minority, is where I draw the line.
This is less about freedom of speech and more about how willing game developers are in making their vision come to life in its entirety. As far as I'm concerned, game developers should be able express their creative side in any way they see fit. It doesn't matter if they make a decision I agree with or not, I'd rather them see their aspirations through in the manner they believe in, regardless of others may think. It's something I can respect. And besides that, they have their legions of fans, for whatever reasons they have for playing the games. They are successful, and the devs will keep doing whatever it is that they do.

I was never censored when it comes to the video games I play, so theoretically, why should I deny any of my children the same treatment? Because others would find it objectionable? Because society would deem it "irresponsible" of me? Please. I've experienced this side of gaming in my younger years(and found it completely inoffensive), and yet, I'm a Nintendo fan. Go figure.

Finding a girl into gaming, let alone a single one, at least where I live, is near impossible. That leaves me with non-gamers whose only impression of videogames and gamers are what the mainstream media and advertisers throw in their face - gratuitous fan service and senseless violence. They see women paraded around like pieces of meat while someone teabags the dead in CoD while screaming obscenities at a child over voice chat. That is the stereotype and misconception I have to relentlessly combat to convince one of them to even give videogames or gamers a remote fraction of a chance.
Then put them out of your mind. No use stressing out over women that can't accept one particular fact about you. If they have a problem with how violent and fan-servicey certain games are, then that's their problem, not yours, and not the industry's. Making it your problem seems like a colossal waste of time, and it just blows things out of proportion.

So yeah, I'm going to put my foot down and say that the face of the industry is in dire need of an overhaul. When you go to tourney, or a midnight launch, or convention, there's a reason why those events are sausage fests - because the industry has painted itself as a grotesque boys club. I won't say this is the only reason, the other major reason being that parents believe that their daughters shouldn't be playing videogames and focus on more "girly" things - or at least that's what I've witnessed with my friends parents when they asked for an NES or SNES back in the day.
You can say it as much as you want to, but that doesn't mean it actually needs to happen.

I don't go to public gaming scenes. I enjoy my games the same way I always do, in the comfort of my own home. Being in public really isn't for me, and I don't know of any gaming scenes close to me, nor have I cared enough to find out.

And why should you care about how other parents raise their kids? You aren't them, so why try to be?

D

DeleteThisAcct

Did you even play Ghosts and Goblins
That's not his initial, powered-up, or permanent state. That's after taking damage and it's shown as an undesirable state for the player. Point negated

D

DeleteThisAcct

So, this is more about your personal issue on what's acceptable or not in video game content, then? Anyway, my point stands. As long as the players(and those around them)are fully aware that they are just video games and don't try to apply anything there to reality, then my answer is a flat-out yes, it is ok. I'll say it again: Video games aren't the problem here; it's people. People can be conditioned to think what "civilized" society wants them to think if they don't have the ability to think for themselves, right, wrong or otherwise. And when people see something that they've been conditioned to speak out against, that's when trouble starts. All traces of rationality fly out the window and the torches and pitchforks come out(metaphorically of course). But really, no one is forcing you like anything. If you don't like particular game series out there, then don't indulge in them. Just, you know, don't tell others what they can and can't like.
You're still missing the point. Maybe I'm just wording it badly. From the top, it's not about personal take-aways or impressionable people learning the wrong things. It's about sensibility and how the more attention seeking games and / or their marketing goes out of its way to offend the average person's common deceny. Yeah, there's people who don't care and will play it anyways and such, if they want to support that, that's on them, BUT, being nonchalant and devil-may-care about it is not okay.

Just because it's not brainwashing people or changing their behavior, doesn't make it right, or acceptable.

Censorship exists and is needed for a reason, because certain things are just messed up and not socially acceptable for the same reason you don't see or hear many things on TV, or the radio, or at say an office, or restaurant, or business, or school, or even the library. Because we, as human beings, should be above such bad taste and primitive thinking by now!

The fact that the game industry is self-entitled and thinks they should be an exception to the rule (or that the rule shouldn't exist at all) is ludicrous. Otherwise we'd have titles like "Custer's Revenge" entering the mainstream because "sex sells" and "mah artistic vision". No! Just no! More than no, HELL NO! Let us NOT degenerate to that! For the love of all that is sacred!

This is less about freedom of speech and more about how willing game developers are in making their vision come to life in its entirety. As far as I'm concerned, game developers should be able express their creative side in any way they see fit. It doesn't matter if they make a decision I agree with or not, I'd rather them see their aspirations through in the manner they believe in, regardless of others may think. It's something I can respect. And besides that, they have their legions of fans, for whatever reasons they have for playing the games. They are successful, and the devs will keep doing whatever it is that they do.
Think about the implications and ramifications of what you're saying. Let me say it again: Otherwise we'd have titles like "Custer's Revenge" entering the mainstream because "sex sells" and "mah artistic vision". No! Just no! More than no, HELL NO! Let us NOT degenerate to that! For the love of all that is sacred!

I was never censored when it comes to the video games I play, so theoretically, why should I deny any of my children the same treatment? Because others would find it objectionable? Because society would deem it "irresponsible" of me? Please. I've experienced this side of gaming in my younger years(and found it completely inoffensive), and yet, I'm a Nintendo fan. Go figure.
That's on you then. I, for one, when I have daughters someday, do not want them being subjected to such tasteless, degrading, insulting depictions and views on women. They shouldn't have to see that, or be a part of something where that level of meaningless objectification is okay. It shouldn't even be a thing in today's day and age! This shouldn't be an issue. The fact that it still is, still rearing its ugly head, reflects poorly on us.

Then put them out of your mind. No use stressing out over women that can't accept one particular fact about you. If they have a problem with how violent and fan-servicey certain games are, then that's their problem, not yours, and not the industry's. Making it your problem seems like a colossal waste of time, and it just blows things out of proportion.
That's where you're wrong. It becomes my problem the moment I start getting unfairly judged and shot down over bull**** I never wanted anything to do with in the first place. I don't know about you but I don't want to be some ForeverAlone meme. I want a wife; one who'll share my passion! In my particular area, that involves having to win over a non-gamer, and get them to give gaming a fair shot - which is nearly impossible when the industry's and / or community's face has given them such a horrible taste in their mouth. It's an issue that needs to be addressed unless we enjoy the concept of gaming single. Had these people given me and my library of games a chance, they'd have a totally different impression of gaming and maybe gamers as a whole versus what they see in the mainstream.

I don't go to public gaming scenes. I enjoy my games the same way I always do, in the comfort of my own home. Being in public really isn't for me, and I don't know of any gaming scenes close to me, nor have I cared enough to find out.
Well, that's on you. I don't want to be some ForeverAlone meme. I'm very relationship oriented, and I want a girlfriend / wife who'll love gaming as much as I do. Dating sites haven't helped, non-gamers are near impossible to get into gaming because of the aforementioned issues, and perhaps due to those same issues, I can't even find a single girl gamer at any of my public gaming scenes because they don't want to be within 100 miles of that crap. For people who actually want a serious relationship involving a wonderful girl and gaming, without them being mutually exclusive, it becomes a serious issue. Maybe you don't care about finding a girlfriend, or you maybe you already have one, but I do, and **** like this makes my lot a hard one!

That's the last I'll say on the subject.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
So Mr.Sapphire Paladin, what, dare I ask, do you say to all the people who wholeheartedly enjoy these things?

That is, if you care to partake in this discussion any further.

Last edited:

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I do not like the artwork for Final Fantasies 1-6
Nothing against Yo****aka Amano, but I can't even make out most of the things she draws.

D

DeleteThisAcct

So Mr.Sapphire Paladin, what, dare I ask, do you say to all the people who wholeheartedly enjoy these things?

That is, if you care to partake in this discussion any further.
So, you want my closing thoughts? Very well. People can enjoy what they want; if I don't have to hear or see it, then whatever. My only concern is that it's so in-your-face that I can't turn a blind eye to it even if I wanted to, and on that note, my concern is the public image and reputation that's thrust upon gamers and gaming; likewise with the nonchalant attitude people have about it cause they feel they're not personally affected by it.

When you ask the uninitiated if they like gaming, you'll often hear them immediately reference CoD, GTA, or any number of games with excessive fan-service and violence while citing that as the reason why they're not interesting in gaming (by themself or with someone who's inviting them over to play a la "Netflix and Chill" type date < I honestly didn't realize this was a meme for something far less innocent than I intended. TFW I was being literal). Call it anecdotal, but nearly every girl I've spoken to then proceeds to use those same AAA overly exposed titles to rant about how stupid gaming is, and how immature gamers are, followed by quickly saying "no offense" after realizing who they're lecturing. Then, when I mention stuff like Mario, they're like, "What's the point? No one's into that anymore, and I really don't want to play by myself." On the other side of the same coin, a lot of female gamers that I've spoken with over IRC and message boards say they avoid the public gaming scene, and even avoid dating other gamers, because of the community and how the men treat them and / or female characters.

That being said, my axe is with the industry, please, tone it down, or at the very least don't market it so heavily that that's everyone's first and / or lasting impression of gaming. Think of the single people.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
Sounds more to me that you need better friends.

Not the same thing, but it took me years to find people who don't immediately start talking smack whenever Sonic the Hedgehog is mentioned.

But to each their own.

Last edited:
D

DeleteThisAcct

who don't immediately start talking smack whenever Sonic the Hedgehog is mentioned.
The last time I heard people talk smack about Sonic was back in the days of the ancient console wars. I was that guy who liked both Nintendo and SEGA, and thus given the most hell. lol.

finalark

SNORLAX
I do not like the artwork for Final Fantasies 1-6
Nothing against Yo****aka Amano, but I can't even make out most of the things she draws.
Eh, it's an acquired taste. I didn't like it at first either but it grew on me.

That's not his initial, powered-up, or permanent state. That's after taking damage and it's shown as an undesirable state for the player. Point negated
So, did you get around to reading the rest of the post talking about how sex appeal for both genders is okay because any sound-minded individual is aware that men and women aren't like that in real life?

D

DeleteThisAcct

So, did you get around to reading the rest of the post talking about how sex appeal for both genders is okay because any sound-minded individual is aware that men and women aren't like that in real life?
In the interest of not rehashing what I've already said, and to avoid circular arguments, I shall redirect you to my reply here which states that point is completely irrelevant to what I'm getting at. It should also address any other talking points you may end up throwing at me which I've already addressed and care not to address again.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Honestly, I don't get why people defend oversexualization in games. This **** isn't friggin' porn; I'm not playing games to be turned on, I'm playing games to have a good experience with the game. Yes, we'll inevitably get those games that only exist to be sexual eyecandy, but that's inevitable with any artistic medium, including gaming. If I wanted big boobs and women flashing their reproductive organs, that's what porn sites are for, not games.

But when like 90% of the primary female characters in this industry have wasp waists and D-cup boobs, that doesn't help quash the idea of this medium essentially being a bunch of perverted basement dwelling losers. Yes, pornbait exists in every medium of art, but none of them are so commonplace as video games. If we're wanting to be considered "art", we can't be two-faced and go gaa-gaa at the sight of a pair of big breasts just for the lowest common denominator, otherwise we sabotage our own efforts.

Last edited:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Honestly, I don't get why people defend oversexualization in games. This **** isn't friggin' porn; I'm not playing games to be turned on, I'm playing games to have a good experience with the game. Yes, we'll inevitably get those games that only exist to be sexual eyecandy, but that's inevitable with any artistic medium, including gaming. If I wanted big boobs and women flashing their reproductive organs, that's what porn sites are for, not games.

But when like 90% of the primary female characters in this industry have wasp waists and D-cup boobs, that doesn't help quash the idea of this medium essentially being a bunch of perverted basement dwelling losers. Yes, pornbait exists in every medium of art, but none of them are so commonplace as video games. If we're wanting to be considered "art", we can't be two-faced and go gaa-gaa at the sight of a pair of big breasts just for the lowest common denominator, otherwise we sabotage our own efforts.
This industry is just that- an industry. It's a business. They're going to design characters the way that sells the most copies of their game, so you already know what to expect. And honestly, I don't think that's a bad thing. To make video game characters unrealistically attractive, whether they be male or female, is another way to make games fun and interesting. And yes, it does happen with male characters as well, though not geared towards sexualization as much they are definitely not always realistic.

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
My opinion that's probably unpopular is: Shadow the Hedgehog is a good game.
Most people don't like the game much and I understand why. Maybe it's cuz I was pretty young when I played it so I tended to enjoy anything from the Sonic franchise.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
To throw my hat in for a second (and will give my points here and here only), I do not care about fanservice.

Look, boobs exist. We all have bits that are considered "sexy" to someone. Now while I can gladly go on in my life without seeing said parts, they're there. And that's okay. Fanservice to me is the same way. Do I want to see it? No. Can it ruin an experience? Sure . But I'm not going to point to cleavage, oversized breasts, or clothes similar to bikinis and say they're the reason the world is screwed up. Hell, I could argue that compared to actual pornography we've been pretty tame.

My problem with fanservice is when that's all it offers. Say what you want about DoA or SK, but at least their decent games even with the hot and bothering trite taken away. You could feasibly say that yes, there is a legitimate reason to read it for the articles. Now that's not to chastise those who are turned off because there's boobs and the like.

But fanservice also comes with the unhealthy mentality that companies have: namely that as long as fanservice is there, there's no point to do anything else. Why bother with quality, an atmosphere or interesting story, or hell a reason for me to give a damn about the characters apart from T&A, when you can simply use said T&A and call it a day.

And often it's not just the game, but more so a character. Oh sure (s)he looks nice, but why should I care about what happens to them. A great example of this is DoA Xtreme; Sure gave the breasts and bikinis, but it also missed what made the fighting game franchise good: the gameplay. Instead of being an interesting fighting game that just so happens to have boobs, it was all style but no substance. And that's when I get pissed with fanservice.

To end my tirade, I wanted to bring up an idea: We've been talking about DoA and SK for a good while now. But I'm curious about the opinions of other certain characters. Like, what about Shantae or Samus? Are they sexualized? Granted they don't flaunt their naughty bits with gainaxing galore, but they could be considered hot, or Fanservice. And they have gone around in revealing clothing. Are they just as bad?

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Like, what about Shantae or Samus? Are they sexualized? Granted they don't flaunt their naughty bits with gainaxing galore, but they could be considered hot, or Fanservice. And they have gone around in revealing clothing. Are they just as bad?
Samus and Shantae aren't quite as bad, because they're not designed for maximum sex appeal; they're just people who happen to be good-looking individuals.

It's when we get characters like Ivy Valentine who explicitly exists for fanservice that things start to go a little out of hand.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
This industry is just that- an industry. It's a business. They're going to design characters the way that sells the most copies of their game, so you already know what to expect. And honestly, I don't think that's a bad thing. To make video game characters unrealistically attractive, whether they be male or female, is another way to make games fun and interesting. And yes, it does happen with male characters as well, though not geared towards sexualization as much they are definitely not always realistic.
So because it's an industry and just doing what will sell well it's free from criticism? If so, that's pretty dumb if you ask me.

My opinion that's probably unpopular is: Shadow the Hedgehog is a good game.
Most people don't like the game much and I understand why. Maybe it's cuz I was pretty young when I played it so I tended to enjoy anything from the Sonic franchise.
I feel Shadow the Hedgehog's biggest problem is that it's so damn repetitive, after that I'd say it's an average, or somewhat below-average game.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Shadow the Hedgehog is a worst version of Heroes but with the repetitive gameplay ramped up, dull music, the awful story, graphics can get really bad in certain cases and just overall not an enjoyable experience.

I believe it's probably worst than 06 or Secret Rings without even trying to be.

The only reason I don't consider it worst than Boom, Chronicles, Free Riders or Sonic Genesis is that the game can be pretty well designed on certain parts and the gunplay is actually fun.

finalark

SNORLAX
IMO Shadow the Hedgehog's barely below average game play and horrible cut scenes make it a camp masterpiece.

FIND THE COMPUTER ROOM!

Where is that fourth DAMN chaos emerald?

THE MORE THE MERRIER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom