• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

finalark

SNORLAX
I think this nearly 2 hour long video sums up nicely what you're trying to say
Granted it goes over a hell of a lot more, but one of it's focus was the character of Sonic himself and the many ways he's perceived (a lot and counting).
I finally got around to watching this video.

This was the absolute best video I have ever seen on the subject of why Sonic's fanbase is in splinters. I also learned a lot about character design.

Bluntly put, he makes a lot of good points that I strongly agree with and reiterates a lot of points I've made in the past. The series is too eager to try new things, and this goes beyond just game play (although it's evident there too). There's no coherent image of what Sonic is. He's been reinvented and changed so many times that not even SEGA's sure what the core appeal of the series is.

I grew up primarily on the Adventure series and the American comic books, but that doesn't mean I necessarily like the same thing as someone who grew up on Sonic X and Rush games (for the record, I've never played the Rush series and I'm only using it for the sake of example).

I would say that a reboot is in order, but in actuality it would do nothing but splinter the fanbase further.

Last edited:

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
SF Adventures is probably the best in my eyes in the whole series to date (including Zero). Loved the cutscenes, the characters personalities (Foxs in particular). and the overall structure of the game. I rank it above SF 64, Adventures deserves none of the hate it has received. The Zelda mechanic works well with Fox, and should be used more often. The mechanic is interchangeable.. The voiceovers were also well done.

Plus Rare made it, which was the cherry on the cake.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I'm sure if I post my current unpopular opinion here, I'll probably make some people salty over it. Oh well, here we go.

I think the Wii U is Nintendo's second worst console after the Virtual Boy. Sure it has some good games, but it's still a failure due to all of the problems it had since launch. The NX better be good, Nintendo.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I'm sure if I post my current unpopular opinion here, I'll probably make some people salty over it. Oh well, here we go.

I think the Wii U is Nintendo's second worst console after the Virtual Boy. Sure it has some good games, but it's still a failure due to all of the problems it had since launch. The NX better be good, Nintendo.
I wouldn't call it their second worst, but I would say that it is pretty lackluster, especially when compared to the XBone and PS4, but I'm a Sony fanboy so I'm biased.

That's not to say I hate the Wii U, I just think it could've been much better.

finalark

SNORLAX
I wouldn't call it their second worst, but I would say that it is pretty lackluster, especially when compared to the XBone and PS4, but I'm a Sony fanboy so I'm biased.

That's not to say I hate the Wii U, I just think it could've been much better.
To be fair, the PS1 was better than the N64, the PS2 was beter than the GCN and the PS3 was better than the Wii.

Nintendo games are great, but having third party support does wonders.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I never understood why people loose their **** over the Xbox brand. As in, caring about it at all. Sure the hardware of the systems is fine and the games are good, but up until recently, I never really liked a lot of Microsoft's decisions with the Xbox brand.

Last edited:

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1

Don't worry, the salt is not strong with this one.

The Wii U I always remember is a Wii with updated hardware and Nintendo's version of the iPad. If Nintendo's seen any profit from the Wii U, its been Smash 4 and Splatoon.

finalark

SNORLAX
I never understood why people loose their **** over the Xbox brand. As in, caring about it at all. Sure the hardware of the systems is fine and the games are good, but up until recently, I never really liked a lot of Microsoft's decisions with the Xbox brand.
I thought the original Xbox was pretty good once they ditched the original monster controller and started shipping the S Model. Can't speak as favorably about the 360 and the Xbone, though.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace

That's pretty much majority opinion. I'd personally rate the N64 as Nintendo's worst console (I classify the Virtual Boy as a portable system), but that's my own unpopular opinion.

The OG Game Boy was a horrible system. There are something like 10-15 good games on it, and six to eight (1) of those are Pokemon games. Considering that the system was being supported for over TWO DECADES before being succeeded by the GBA (2), this is absolutely unacceptable.

How many Pokemon games you can say exist on the Game Boy depends on how you count JP Red and Green. English Red and Blue were based on the Japanese version of Blue, which is to Gen1 sort of like Crystal is to Gen2, or Emerald to Gen3, or Platinum to Gen4, except that JP Blue was more about bugfixes than new content.
Most GBC games could play on a Game Boy. They looked absolutely terrible, but they'd work. That said, the GBC didn't fare much better, but it was also supported for a far shorter amount of time.

finalark

SNORLAX
That's pretty much majority opinion. I'd personally rate the N64 as Nintendo's worst console (I classify the Virtual Boy as a portable system), but that's my own unpopular opinion.

The OG Game Boy was a horrible system. There are something like 10-15 good games on it, and six to eight (1) of those are Pokemon games. Considering that the system was being supported for over TWO DECADES before being succeeded by the GBA (2), this is absolutely unacceptable.
The fact that a vast majority of GB/C games simply do not hold up in 2015 doesn't help. The N64 suffers from similar problems, I feel the NES does too to some extent. Plus the NES has the issue of being the pre-Wii king of shovelware.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
The fact that a vast majority of GB/C games simply do not hold up in 2015 doesn't help. The N64 suffers from similar problems, I feel the NES does too to some extent. Plus the NES has the issue of being the pre-Wii king of shovelware.
Can't argue with that. The NES had a lot of great games, but if you try to dive for hidden gems you're going to be confronted with nothing but **** and the occasional mediocre game. The N64 is similar, but most of the N64 games usually considered to be "good" or "great" don't hold up very well, and EVERYTHING outside of those is absolutely awful. As a (mostly) rational human being, it hurts me when someone tries to call either of these systems "the best ever" just because of their nostalgia, and absolutely refuses to accept any opinion other than that. Back up your opinions with something more than just your assertion.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I don't like the way NES games handle. They all feel too stiff, asides from a few exceptions like the Mario games.

finalark

SNORLAX
The N64 is similar, but most of the N64 games usually considered to be "good" or "great" don't hold up very well, and EVERYTHING outside of those is absolutely awful.
I'm at least willing to say that there a few worthwhile games on the console, even today. The two Zeldas, Paper Mario, Star Fox 64 and the second and third Mario Parties are still worth playing, but most games on the console really aren't holding up all that well. Goldeneye is borderline unplayable, Smash 64 is stiff and slow, Mario 64 has camera issues and a lackluster final stretch (among other things), Banjo-Kazooie comes off as just kind of average these days and Mario Kart 64 has some serious draw distance issues (although most racing games from this era did).

Unfortunately, this is mostly because 3D was new and nobody really knew how to use it properly. The Saturn and PS1 are both in the same boat as the N64, but I feel like the PS1 at least has a bit of an edge since Sony had the sense to rip off the SNES instead of making some oddball octopus controller.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I'm at least willing to say that there a few worthwhile games on the console, even today. The two Zeldas, Paper Mario, Star Fox 64 and the second and third Mario Parties are still worth playing, but most games on the console really aren't holding up all that well. Goldeneye is borderline unplayable, Smash 64 is stiff and slow, Mario 64 has camera issues and a lackluster final stretch (among other things), Banjo-Kazooie comes off as just kind of average these days and Mario Kart 64 has some serious draw distance issues (although most racing games from this era did).

Unfortunately, this is mostly because 3D was new and nobody really knew how to use it properly. The Saturn and PS1 are both in the same boat as the N64, but I feel like the PS1 at least has a bit of an edge since Sony had the sense to rip off the SNES instead of making some oddball octopus controller.
Also helped that the Saturn and PS1 had some 2D games as well to try and offset all of that awkward 3D gameplay. But I still think Mario 64 is playable.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008

How many Pokemon games you can say exist on the Game Boy depends on how you count JP Red and Green. English Red and Blue were based on the Japanese version of Blue, which is to Gen1 sort of like Crystal is to Gen2, or Emerald to Gen3, or Platinum to Gen4, except that JP Blue was more about bugfixes than new content.
Most GBC games could play on a Game Boy. They looked absolutely terrible, but they'd work. That said, the GBC didn't fare much better, but it was also supported for a far shorter amount of time.
Ew...what a load of poo

The OG Game Boy had an amazing library (the music especially, that music chip I consider better than the NES)

I have all the 500+ carts and I'd confidently say about 150+ of them are worth playing and still hold up today. There are a lot of overlooked ones as well that mainstream people don't know about.

But even just considering the main first party games there are already more than 30+

I'll Post a whole list but for now here's classic well known games just off the top of my head -

Tetris
Bionic Commando
Metroid II Return of Samus
Mario Picross
Kirby's Dreamland 1
2​
Kirby's Pinball Land
Kirby's Star Stacker
Kirby's Block Ball
Super Mario Land 1
3​
Wario Land 1
2​
Zelda Link's Awakening
Final Fantasy Legend 1
Final Fantasy Adventure​
Donkey Kong
Gargoyle's Quest
Kid Icarus Of Myths and Monsters
Dr. Mario
Donkey Kong Land 1
3​
Mega Man 1
5​
Game Boy Camera!
Pokemon Red
Blue
Yellow
Gold
Silver​
Ninja Gaiden
Contra Alien Wars
Operation C
Castlevania The Adventure
Belmont's Revenge
Legends​
Batman The Video Game
Joker's Revenge
The Animated Series​
Battletoads
Battletoads & Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team
Battletoads in Ragnarok's World
Ducktales 1
Prince of Persia
Aladdin
The Little Mermaid
Double Dragon 1

Game & Watch Gallery 1
3​
Fish Dude
Gradius 1 Nemesis
2 Interstellar Assault​
Harvest Moon GB
James Bond 007
Kid Dracula
Adventure Island 1
2​

That's already 69 games...off the top of my head

....There's stilll like 50 more + all the hidden gems I haven't listed yet like Amazing Tater, Bubble Ghost, Altered Space, Trip Word, etc

Last edited:

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Also helped that the Saturn and PS1 had some 2D games as well to try and offset all of that awkward 3D gameplay. But I still think Mario 64 is playable.
I knew there was something missing in the N64's game library. The lack of 2D games.

Concerning the age of some N64 games, I couldn't even play the original Smash Bros. anymore due to how boring and stiff the controls are these days. However, I still play both Banjo-Kazooie & Mario Kart 64 despite how dated they are.

I knew there was something missing in the N64's game library. The lack of 2D games.
Also a severe lack of RPGs. Almost anything 2D looked like garbage on the N64, and a cartridge wasn't enough to support a full-length 3D JRPG like FF7.

Ain't gonna get those sick CGI cutscenes on a cartridge. You need 3 CDs for that.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Also a severe lack of RPGs. Almost anything 2D looked like garbage on the N64, and a cartridge wasn't enough to support a full-length 3D JRPG like FF7.

Ain't gonna get those sick CGI cutscenes on a cartridge. You need 3 CDs for that.
Still blows my mind that from the end of the Super Nintendo to the end of the Playstation 1, games went from taking up a few MBs of storage space to a few games having 4 CDs.

CassandraZD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
groosinator
3DS FC
5429-9033-2238
I have a list.

1.) I think A Link to the Past is far superior to Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask, and that Zelda games should be more gameplay-centric than plot-centric.

2.) I prefer Final Fantasy 6 to Final Fantasy 7 (I've gotten yelled at a lot for this)

3.) I think the Metal Gear games that do not feature Big Boss as the main character are boring.

4.) I think Pokemon Contests are a dull waste of time and have no merit.

So yeah, that's that.

mgets

Smash Rookie
Mine is that I Square Enix does gaming right. I'd rather wait a long time and get a super fun product than get poop flung at my face. Yes they do make mistakes (Final Fantasy 15 trailer) but they make fantastic games.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
4.) I think Pokemon Contests are a dull waste of time and have no merit.
I'd never do these and I never will.

Mine is that I Square Enix does gaming right. I'd rather wait a long time and get a super fun product than get poop flung at my face. Yes they do make mistakes (Final Fantasy 15 trailer) but they make fantastic games.
At least they're improving a bit when it comes to giving what people want (FF7 remake, more KH3 info). Now if only Nintendo did the same and not give us crap.

finalark

SNORLAX
2.) I prefer Final Fantasy 6 to Final Fantasy 7 (I've gotten yelled at a lot for this)
I don't know what terribly bitter FF fanstes you've been on, because most circles generally consider VI to be a well liked fan favorite and an acceptable answer when asked what your favorite game in the series is.

Hell, it actually beat VII in a poll GameFAQs held a while back.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
The Sonic games that most people herald as the "Dark Age of Sonic" and the worst games ever? I actually love most of them, especially Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Riders.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I thought the original Xbox was pretty good once they ditched the original monster controller and started shipping the S Model. Can't speak as favorably about the 360 and the Xbone, though.
The 360 was good, I had my fun with it...but I have never touched the Xbone and never will. They screwed up so badly that I do not want to touch that system.

I've pretty much become exclusively Sony and Nintendo at this point because of the Xbone's horrible start.

vexoskeleton

Smash Apprentice
The Sonic games that most people herald as the "Dark Age of Sonic" and the worst games ever? I actually love most of them, especially Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Riders.
Riders i can see liking cause that game is decent and has some fun stuff to it but unleashed? It really just lacks a lot of polish, the day stages are for the most part too hard the first time around and the night stages are a huge drag to complete as they are super repetitive. I think when you really put time into the day stages they can be good but you have to have played the stages multiple times before they can be lots of fun.

mgets

Smash Rookie
The 360 was good, I had my fun with it...but I have never touched the Xbone and never will. They screwed up so badly that I do not want to touch that system.

I've pretty much become exclusively Sony and Nintendo at this point because of the Xbone's horrible start.
I've owned all three of the new consoles and imo the xbone is the best now. In the beginning I could definitely see how you were turned off due to how stupid microsoft was approaching things but honestly it's a fantastic system now with great games. Just picked up Gears of War: Ultimate edition and damn the nostalgia.

finalark

SNORLAX
I've owned all three of the new consoles and imo the xbone is the best now. In the beginning I could definitely see how you were turned off due to how stupid microsoft was approaching things but honestly it's a fantastic system now with great games. Just picked up Gears of War: Ultimate edition and damn the nostalgia.
I considered given the Xbone another chance when my friend brought his over. The Master Chief collection refusing to launch without an internet connection immediately shut down any good impressions the console could have left on me.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Riders is really a game that you need to get used to the controls with. If you want a really borderline-unplayable game in that series that isn't Free Riders, the PS2 port of Zero Gravity is pretty horrid. Slippery controls with hairpin turns are not fun.

mgets

Smash Rookie
I considered given the Xbone another chance when my friend brought his over. The Master Chief collection refusing to launch without an internet connection immediately shut down any good impressions the console could have left on me.
Yeah I can see how that can turn that niche of people off but you gotta just understand the times we're in now, internet connection is a must have entity.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Yeah I can see how that can turn that niche of people off but you gotta just understand the times we're in now, internet connection is a must have entity.
But it shouldn't drive the entire console, either. :p

The WiiU handles internet connectivity well; you can't use stuff that needs Internet to function, but you can still play games on it without Internet.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
Y'know, barring the Countries that still have frequent network outages, like Jamaica...

I can still play Wii U games offline, but with these always online games, the slightest hiccup on my ISP's part, and I'm booted to the title screen with all the progress gone, is almost as bad as a power outage.

Sorry, I don't think the world's internet is stable enough to handle always online games being a standard.

mgets

Smash Rookie
Y'know, barring the Countries that still have frequent network outages, like Jamaica...

I can still play Wii U games offline, but with these always online games, the slightest hiccup on my ISP's part, and I'm booted to the title screen with all the progress gone, is almost as bad as a power outage.

Sorry, I don't think the world's internet is stable enough to handle always online games being a standard.
I think Microsoft just thinks the majority of it's sales are in countries who are connected all the time which is why they made a console that relies on the internet. I feel for you but I assume your market just isn't the target

finalark

SNORLAX
We are not in an age of 100% persistent internet. My friends and I still experience internet issues all the time and frankly speaking, whether or not I'm allowed to sit back and play a single player game on the weekend should not be up to my internet provider.

Personally, I am vehemently against the "Always Online" movement. The biggest reason is that under very foressable circumstances it can completely erase entire eras of gaming history. Lets fast forward to six years or so from now when MS releases the successor to the Xbone. Obviously, they're not going to keep supporting the Xbone forever, so they take down the servers to focus on their new console. Suddenly, all those Xbone games you own are completely unplayable. Not even worth the plastic of their case.

This is bull****. SEGA doesn't make consoles anymore but I can still hook up my Dreamcast and kill a few hours with Power Stone if I want to. The GCN has been out of production for years but that doesn't mean I can't play Mario Sunshine anymore.

Not to mention that in the above scenario you'd be forced into constantly buying new games and rebuying games you already own since your original copies are now unplayble. It's a corrupt CEO's wet dream.

Last edited:

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
An unpopular gaming opinion I'd have is that mmos are a blight upon gaming. That sounds overly dramatic and very spiteful, but this stems from someone who played one 2006-2010 and 2011-2015. It isn't a biased opinion that stems from hatred, either. Truth be told I have a weird love/hate relationship with mmos, which makes this post even weirder.

To say it in a short brief statement, (Though it is much deeper than this), the very subtle or not subtle concept of Recycling content, pressure to be on for content before it gets nerfed for new content (Thus resulting in not being able to spend time doing other things/games), and depending on what game a pretty harsh community on a concept of learning a fight (I never had this problem, but others did) creates a toxic environment for a gamer if sucked in.

Think about this; You don't feel rushed to get Tidus/Wakka/Yuna maxed for Nemesis, you got this. On an online note, you don't feel rushed to get GRank on Monster Hunter; you have plenty of time before servers/population are/is an issue. (Hell, 3U still has people) Yet on an mmo, if >>Insert Boss<< Extreme or whatever is released and you want a challenge, well you best hurry because in a month or maybe even weeks it gets nerfed for new things.

Then again this is moot if you care little about forever being behind. But knowing the only way to be the best is to forfeit a large chunk of your hobby feels toxic to me. I'm cleaning up the mess that left behind, and it's pretty rough.

Again though, for some people I know they hate gaming but found mmos enjoyable, so everyone is different. I just feel for a Gamer in general MMOs are bad :x.

Also, I like the Wii-U. I hated the Wii, Wii-U feels okay. Lack of third party sucks butttt I use pc for that so.

mgets

Smash Rookie
An unpopular gaming opinion I'd have is that mmos are a blight upon gaming. That sounds overly dramatic and very spiteful, but this stems from someone who played one 2006-2010 and 2011-2015. It isn't a biased opinion that stems from hatred, either. Truth be told I have a weird love/hate relationship with mmos, which makes this post even weirder.

To say it in a short brief statement, (Though it is much deeper than this), the very subtle or not subtle concept of Recycling content, pressure to be on for content before it gets nerfed for new content (Thus resulting in not being able to spend time doing other things/games), and depending on what game a pretty harsh community on a concept of learning a fight (I never had this problem, but others did) creates a toxic environment for a gamer if sucked in.

Think about this; You don't feel rushed to get Tidus/Wakka/Yuna maxed for Nemesis, you got this. On an online note, you don't feel rushed to get GRank on Monster Hunter; you have plenty of time before servers/population are/is an issue. (Hell, 3U still has people) Yet on an mmo, if >>Insert Boss<< Extreme or whatever is released and you want a challenge, well you best hurry because in a month or maybe even weeks it gets nerfed for new things.

Then again this is moot if you care little about forever being behind. But knowing the only way to be the best is to forfeit a large chunk of your hobby feels toxic to me. I'm cleaning up the mess that left behind, and it's pretty rough.

Again though, for some people I know they hate gaming but found mmos enjoyable, so everyone is different. I just feel for a Gamer in general MMOs are bad :x.

Also, I like the Wii-U. I hated the Wii, Wii-U feels okay. Lack of third party sucks butttt I use pc for that so.
I agree 100% with feeling rushed in an mmo. Everytime I pick one up I like to test out different races and classes and usually am not settled in for quite and a while and when I do get settled in, I feel like I wasted so much time and am even more behind than I already was and that honestly has lead me to quit several games.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I agree 100% with feeling rushed in an mmo. Everytime I pick one up I like to test out different races and classes and usually am not settled in for quite and a while and when I do get settled in, I feel like I wasted so much time and am even more behind than I already was and that honestly has lead me to quit several games.
Yup, when I played FFXI I was too young to care about perpetually being behind, but FFXIV? It always irked me that if I wanted a social life, a gf, or just a gaming life I'd never be at the precipice of content. Drove me insane. As I type this I wanna re-sub too, I mean god the gameplay is amazing, decent story, and a fun environment, but that drawback is huge.

finalark

SNORLAX
Yup, when I played FFXI I was too young to care about perpetually being behind, but FFXIV? It always irked me that if I wanted a social life, a gf, or just a gaming life I'd never be at the precipice of content. Drove me insane. As I type this I wanna re-sub too, I mean god the gameplay is amazing, decent story, and a fun environment, but that drawback is huge.
Honestly, back when I played FFXIV (really wish I could resub but I don't have the time) I never finished gearing, I never even saw Shiva or most of CT, but I have fun leveling other classes, exploring, doing crafting and doing Triple Triad and Chocobo racing when Golden Saucer got patched in.

Yeah, you won't be at the precipice of content unless you're devoted, but that's okay for me. Good MMOs know that not everyone has the time so they give you plenty of other things to do. I was never at the top of my game in FFXIV but that's okay because I had fun just enjoying the game and playing with friends.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Honestly, back when I played FFXIV (really wish I could resub but I don't have the time) I never finished gearing, I never even saw Shiva or most of CT, but I have fun leveling other classes, exploring, doing crafting and doing Triple Triad and Chocobo racing when Golden Saucer got patched in.

Yeah, you won't be at the precipice of content unless you're devoted, but that's okay for me. Good MMOs know that not everyone has the time so they give you plenty of other things to do. I was never at the top of my game in FFXIV but that's okay because I had fun just enjoying the game and playing with friends.
See, my issue is it easily hits a point where its hard to find friends who fit that category. I always ran into one of two categories:

A) I play a lot hardcore

B) I play then quit play then quit.

It was always so hard to find a Free Company or Linkshell with a middleman status. Hell, even if I did I love challenges and the fact I can't experience them without devoting a lot of time sucks. I play too many games to do that, lol. (Pikmin 3 music is in the background as I talk)

Basically I got Heavensward, Ninja to 60, did everything but Ravana-EX and realized there was no "Once I get to X point I can play casually and still do stuff with this group" and that just killed it for me. The downfall is I miss the community, a whole bunch. If I re-sub, that'd be the reason right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom