• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days is my favourite KH game and I love all the games in the series very equally.

I've got more but that's all I'll say for now.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
If Melee were to be remade in HD, they should rebalance the game and get rid of the really stupid things in the game (IE Fox ledge-platform invincibility on Yoshi's story.) I mean, you're already gonna have people complain whether its the NTSC or PAL version, and people are gonna obsess over if the game is frame by frame the same and dismiss it if it isn't, so might as well change the game.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
How about this.

I always preferred the Genesis over the SNES. But can agree that the SNES' first party lineup is better than the Genesis. Even then Genesis has many more interesting games and concepts I wish Sega would come back to moreso

finalark

SNORLAX
How about this.

I always preferred the Genesis over the SNES. But can agree that the SNES' first party lineup is better than the Genesis. Even then Genesis has many more interesting games and concepts I wish Sega would come back to moreso
I'm still hoping that some day we'll get Phantasy Star V.

It will never happen, but it would be really cool.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Never understood the love for classic Mega Man when X is the clearly superior series and doesn't get nearly any love. Not from the general gaming audience, nor Capcom itself. I think X deserves to be brought back much more then classic Mega Man to be honest. Classic Mega Man fans want the series to be confined to this NES era box and that's really dumb. Don't we want to see games change and evolve. Putting it on the level of an NES isn't gonna allow you to do that. X at least tried new stuff, whether it worked out or not in some cases is up to each game, and had stories that weren't dumb and campy.

D

Deleted member

Xenoblade's tedious and annoying, but Sticker Star isn't that bad? Opinions and all, but, um...

...Huh.
Hey, I know it was confusing, and sorry for taking forever to reply, but it's true that I didn't like "the greatest RPG in recent history" at all, while I found one of the most maligned and reportedly unplayable Nintendo games to be okay. However, I normally want to honor the tradition of never saying ill of what the Internet proclaims as awesome or defend what the Internet condemns as garbage.

For starters, I gotta be clear; Xenoblade's not the type of game I do like in an RPG, because I don't like cinematic action JRPGs to begin with. But, when I actually did play it, I was so frustrated with how much characters yak on during combat, and this isn't just a quip here or there when somebody uses a spell or nails a critical hit, but everybody has something to say every 2 seconds! Plus, I couldn't really get into the characters, and this'll sound petty, but I was resentful (and still am) that Xenoblade got into Smash Bros. with full representation while Golden Sun was left with one new music track (granted, in Sakurai's Grandiose Dream Stage, but still...).

As for Sticker Star, yeah I get that people want to condemn the game for it's stupid mechanics where you must collect stickers just to do things in battle, and I didn't like that Bowser, who was a character that gained a personality in Mario RPGs as more of a bumbling idiot than as just the fire-breathing monster that kidnaps Peach for no real reason, was reduced to being stuck saying "SHINY! SHINY! SHINY!" for 90% of his appearances... and I also got lost a few times. But, I liked the music, I enjoyed the appearance of the world, and it provided a fair challenge in most of the game in terms of logic. If you can get the game for cheap (say, around $5-$10 at a pawn shop), I'd recommend it as you won't be feeling ripped off.

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
*flies in on a Wolfen from the Star Fox Zero thread*
I liked Starfox Adventures and Assault and wouldn't mind seeing another Starfox game in those styles.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Never understood the love for classic Mega Man when X is the clearly superior series and doesn't get nearly any love. Not from the general gaming audience, nor Capcom itself. I think X deserves to be brought back much more then classic Mega Man to be honest. Classic Mega Man fans want the series to be confined to this NES era box and that's really dumb. Don't we want to see games change and evolve. Putting it on the level of an NES isn't gonna allow you to do that. X at least tried new stuff, whether it worked out or not in some cases is up to each game, and had stories that weren't dumb and campy.
2 reasons:

• Nostalgia
  • X series has more bad games than the classic series
Remember the X series has X6, X7, the hate over X3 & X5 and most of its spinoffs and the remake getting unjustified flak

I always preferred X and Battle Network over the Classic series but considering the non 8-bit games get so much flak for no reason especially MM7 which is better than most of the 8-bit games since it actually has something different in it.

finalark

SNORLAX
The first non-Battle Network Mega Man I ever played was MM7, which I thought was pretty good. Although IMO X1, the only X game I've ever played, is better. But playing MM7 without knowing that I'm supposed to hate it really did wonders for the game.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
2 reasons:

• Nostalgia
  • X series has more bad games than the classic series
Remember the X series has X6, X7, the hate over X3 & X5 and most of its spinoffs and the remake getting unjustified flak

I always preferred X and Battle Network over the Classic series but considering the non 8-bit games get so much flak for no reason especially MM7 which is better than most of the 8-bit games since it actually has something different in it.
X series may have more bad games then the classic series, but, to me, a good Mega Man X game is better then the best classic Mega Man game.

Last edited:

weebbby

Smash Rookie
My top unpopular opinions:
Super Mario Sunshine is best Mario game
Fi is best Zelda character
Also Skyward Sword is best Zelda game

Last edited:

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
A vast majority of people who play Smash have probably never touched Fire Emblem, Mother or Xenoblade. Doesn't mean those characters shouldn't be in.
I'll agree with this.

In fact if it weren't for Smash brothers, I probably would never have been introduced to Fire Emblem. Young me had no idea who that blue-haired, sword wielding guy speaking Japanese was in Melee, or what game he came from, but damn if young me didn't think he was super badass.

Nowadays I know who Marth is and enjoy Fire Emblem games, and am eagerly looking forward to Fates. Never would have gotten invested in that series if Nintendo hadn't taken that initial plunge with Marth and Roy in Melee to introduce it to people outside of Japan.

I think Smash is a good platform for not only being about playing as your favourite Nintendo characters, but for catapulting lesser known entities in Ninty's repertoire into the spotlight. And I think Nintendo should continue using it that way, sparingly, but make sure they do it all the same.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
A vast majority of people who play Smash have probably never touched Fire Emblem, Mother or Xenoblade. Doesn't mean those characters shouldn't be in.
No, but it does mean that they shouldn't start shouting "NOW IT'S SHULK TIME" without even knowing what a Reyn is.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
  • Super Mario Sunshine is the best Mario game in the franchise.
  • Monkey Ball needs to be recreated as a series, similar to the first two games.
  • Star Fox needs to be continued similar to Assault.
  • Wolf and Krystal should be in Smash 4, seriously.
  • If the Inklings get into Smash 4 as DLC I will kill myself.
And I hope I'm not alone on this one... but remember The Legendary Starfy for DS...? Yeah, I kinda liked that game...

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't agree. Whenever Megaman is brought up, from what I've seen the praise goes majorly to the X series.
Also, I don't want the Classic series to be restricted to the NES style, I've wanted a new Megaman in the style of NSMB (without the being churned out every year, though considering it's Mega Man...) for a long time.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I actually always thought pretty much everyone preferred the X series. I think Classic >>>> X. Didn't really think that was the majority perception, though.

I've only played X1 and X2, but I still think just about any classic Mega Man is better. Everything about them feels tighter and smoother to me. I can't justify it super well, but that's what I think. Classic just feels better somehow.

finalark

SNORLAX
Bioshock's original dev team is making a new horror game and they've been hyping it by talking about how it will "**** with you."

I got into horror games when I was high school. And after playing a few gaming that were famous for messing with the player (Amnesia, Silent Hill, Eternal Darkness, ect.) I came to the realization that saying your horror game will mess with the audience holds zero weight. Or, at least it should.

The primary goal of a horror game is to create a suspenseful environment and atmosphere that puts the player on edge and gets them nervous over threats that may or may not even be real. So, be the very essence of what a horror game is, of course it's going to mess with you. If it's not manipulating or otherwise misleading you in how you're suppose to perceive the scenarios the game puts you in then it's not doing a very good job at being a horror game.

Basically, what I'm saying is that devs promising that their horror game will mess with you is like a platformer dev promising that there will be bottomless pits.

I'm not entirely sure if this counts as a typical unpopular opinion, but since everyone seems to lose their **** over these words I guess it does.

weebbby

Smash Rookie
  • Super Mario Sunshine is the best Mario game in the franchise.
  • Monkey Ball needs to be recreated as a series, similar to the first two games.
  • Star Fox needs to be continued similar to Assault.
  • Wolf and Krystal should be in Smash 4, seriously.
  • If the Inklings get into Smash 4 as DLC I will kill myself.
And I hope I'm not alone on this one... but remember The Legendary Starfy for DS...? Yeah, I kinda liked that game...
That game was great and I completely forgot about it.. Probably one of my favorite 2D platformers ever.

Last edited:

vexoskeleton

Smash Apprentice
Bioshock's original dev team is making a new horror game and they've been hyping it by talking about how it will "**** with you."

I got into horror games when I was high school. And after playing a few gaming that were famous for messing with the player (Amnesia, Silent Hill, Eternal Darkness, ect.) I came to the realization that saying your horror game will mess with the audience holds zero weight. Or, at least it should.

The primary goal of a horror game is to create a suspenseful environment and atmosphere that puts the player on edge and gets them nervous over threats that may or may not even be real. So, be the very essence of what a horror game is, of course it's going to mess with you. If it's not manipulating or otherwise misleading you in how you're suppose to perceive the scenarios the game puts you in then it's not doing a very good job at being a horror game.

Basically, what I'm saying is that devs promising that their horror game will mess with you is like a platformer dev promising that there will be bottomless pits.

I'm not entirely sure if this counts as a typical unpopular opinion, but since everyone seems to lose their **** over these words I guess it does.
The two main studios that worked on bioshock are shut down now so I don't know who you could be talking about

Iceweasel

Smash Ace

That's probably an unpopular opinion, considering how modern horror game fans don't actually play the game and thus don't care about atmosphere, they just want to watch unfunny jackasses make faces at a camera.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Melee is boring to watch.
RIP Powerman293.

Agreed. I can see why some people like it, but watching the same three characters slide around the stage for a few minutes doesn't do it for me. I know what they're doing and why they're doing it, but it still doesn't hold my attention until the disrespect starts happening.

My unpopular gaming opinion: Brawl is a better competitive fighter than Melee.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
RIP Powerman293.

Agreed. I can see why some people like it, but watching the same three characters slide around the stage for a few minutes doesn't do it for me. I know what they're doing and why they're doing it, but it still doesn't hold my attention until the disrespect starts happening.

My unpopular gaming opinion: Brawl is a better competitive fighter than Melee.
RIP Iceweasel

Lol jk. Don't agree on that one. But I'm not gonna try to start anything.

Here's another Smash one: Smash 4 has some of my favorite mechanics in the series that I wish would be modded in to the other games just to see how'd they pan out (Rage and ledge trumping).

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
RIP Iceweasel

Lol jk. Don't agree on that one. But I'm not gonna try to start anything.

Here's another Smash one: Smash 4 has some of my favorite mechanics in the series that I wish would be modded in to the other games just to see how'd they pan out (Rage and ledge trumping).
That would be killer if someone modded rage and trumping into Melee/Brawl/PM. It would be great to see how that would change matchups and tier lists.

Okay, in Brawl that would just make MK even more OP, but there's more to Brawl than just Meta Knight.
STOP LAUGHING.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
That would be killer if someone modded rage and trumping into Melee/Brawl/PM. It would be great to see how that would change matchups and tier lists.
I wanna see a Smash Bros fan game like Street Fighter Omega where you can play as any version of any character that has been in any of the games.

I have no idea what kind of madness would be going down in that game's competitive scene, but it would be awesome.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I wanna see a Smash Bros fan game like Street Fighter Omega where you can play as any version of any character that has been in any of the games.

I have no idea what kind of madness would be going down in that game's competitive scene, but it would be awesome.
How would that even work? A lot of characters in Smash are often defined by the game's engine physics so trying to put them all in one game means you're probably gonna have to have each era of character have physics that only apply to them.

finalark

SNORLAX
How would that even work? A lot of characters in Smash are often defined by the game's engine physics so trying to put them all in one game means you're probably gonna have to have each era of character have physics that only apply to them.
Exactly.

I have no idea how it would work, but damn would it be fun.

vexoskeleton

Smash Apprentice

these opinions are getting too unpopular for me. I think I'll see myself out till some more tame opinions are presented.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Speaking of Smash.
Brawl is the best Smash. I think overall it is better than Melee. Melee however, played the best.
Smash 4 is my least favorite.

Sadly there are multiple definitions of "horror" now.
Some mistake it for "terror" AKA throwing monsters and screamers at the player.
Speaking to horror games in general, it's sad that Bloodborne/Dark Souls and the Metroid series are better survival horror games than most modern survival horror games.

finalark

SNORLAX
Sadly there are multiple definitions of "horror" now.
Some mistake it for "terror" AKA throwing monsters and screamers at the player.
Speaking to horror games in general, it's sad that Bloodborne/Dark Souls and the Metroid series are better survival horror games than most modern survival horror games.
I wouldn't say that. I actually like FNAF, despite it's fans. I feel like it gets a lot of unjust hate due to it's publicity and the fact that it revolves around jump scares. But the thing that separates FANF from the usual screamerfest you'd find on something like Gamejolt is that the game understands that jumpscares need suspense in order to be effective. Thus, the game whole series is built on player generated suspense.

I actually liked the original Slender for similar reasons. Unfortunately, the sequel is really, really bad.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I find Mario 2 to be better than Mario 1. Sure it's a reskin of Doki Doki Panic, but the controls are better, there's more diversity in the gameplay, and its aged better.

Also, Hoenn is one of my favorite Pokemon regions.

I like the New Super Mario Bros series; specifically the first and the second. And I believe that the problem many have with them was with the other three games and when they recycled (and just lopped the former two with it because we can only be all or nothing). But they were still decent titles. And they sure as hell aren't an unholy Satantic eltrich abomination that we should only view with holy water lying around. So the series got unoriginal at times, whoop-dee-freaking-doo. We've been copying ideas and regurgitating them since the beginning.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also, Hoenn is one of my favorite Pokemon regions.
I agree with this, even though it's mostly water. I resent ORAS lacking XY's costume purchasing format, on a side note, BTW. Sinnoh's my least-favorite region because it's so boring, even with the format of a mountain dividing everything in half.

finalark

SNORLAX
Sinnoh's my least-favorite region because it's so boring, even with the format of a mountain dividing everything in half.
I liked how DPP fleshed out the Pokemon universe by added deeper lore to the series, but I have such a hard time getting through any of them because Sinnoh is just so boring.

The game's lousy frame rate, load times and slow battles don't help.

ixos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
coolniceae27
3DS FC
2766-9576-6857
Here's mine, not sure how popular or not popular they are, but here they are:

Twilight Princess is either my second favourite, if not my favourite, Zelda game that I've played. The dungeons were interesting for the most part, the OST was near perperfection (IMO). I love the art style, and I like how the story is a little darker thathe majority of the other Zelda games. Albeit the world and colouring was a bit darker, so that probably added to the effect.

I quite liked FF13, the characters interested me, the combat was decent, the story was OK, and the voice acting (save for Vanille and her accents) was great in my opinion. The OST was also one of my favourite OSTs ever.

I actually like Sonic Unleashed on the Wii, despite knowing how watered down it is. The warehog levels were fun to me, and it was a little nice to get a break from platforming. I kind of liked the combat, it wasn't great, but it got the job done.

Brawl is a good game. In my opinion, it's not a great Smash game compared to the others, but it was a good game in general. It's not too terribly unbalanced as people say. If you are a high enough skill level with, say, Snake, you can defeat a high enough skill level Meta Knight. The mechanics may not be as technical as Melee, but it's still a fun multiplayer game. Single player bores me to death though.

I pretty much like the gen V Pokémon games, although mostly only playing through Black 2. The only thing I don't like about Unova is not getting past gen Pokémon until after the Elite 4, and the fact that you can't transfer Pokémon from gen IV until after the Elite 4 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom