• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vexoskeleton

Smash Apprentice
I do a lot of gaming critic stuff, and I put Replay value above all else when it comes to rating a game. mostpeople think that's weird. lol
Any good game you can come back to a year or two later and enjoy all over again even if you're still playing the game exactly the same and most people, myself included, don't bother with going through a games single player a second time almost immediately after.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I mean, so is Solid Snake. Maybe the general public isn't aware of him, but anyone who has payed any attention to video games in the past million years could probably look at him and go "Oh yeah, that's Solid Snake."
Not to the same level as Pac-Man, though. Everybody knows who Pac-Man is, but only people who play video games know who Snake is. Besides, you're forgetting the part of my post where I said that Pac-Man is a terrible addition to Smash, popular awareness notwithstanding.

I also can't imagine why anyone would say Pac-Man is a terrible addition to Smash, considering he's like, the most iconic video game character of all time. The fact that he's in a game alongside characters like Mario, Sonic, and Mega Man is pretty fantastic.
Iceweasel said:
The point of Smash Bros. is that it's a Nintendo fighter - In other words, only characters that are strongly tied to Nintendo or its hardware should be in the game.
Mega Man had a few games on other systems, but almost every Classic-series game and most of the spinoffs have been on Nintendo hardware. Sonic is relevant to Smash Bros. because 90's console wars. Little Mac is... Well, he's usually associated with an arcade port of Punch-Out on NES, which doesn't really count in my book, but at least he's not directly associated with Nintendo's competition like Snake. If we're going to redefine Smash Bros. to be a fighter featuring any popular video game character, why not put Master Chief in?

You're forgetting that Snake was in the greatest Game Boy Color game ever made, Metal Gear Ghost Babel.
what is shantae
what is pokemon crystal
what is oracle of ages

Back in serious mode, who's even heard of Metal Gear Ghost Babel? It still doesn't change the fact that Snake is not only not known for being on Nintendo systems, but is in fact known for being on everything BUT Nintendo systems. It would be like putting Doom Guy in Smash. Sure, there was a SNES Doom port, and this N64 exclusive, but Doom and Doom Guy are known as PC things.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
what is shantae
A mediocre Castlevania clone.

what is pokemon crystal
A fantastic RPG.

what is oracle of ages
One of the few worthwhile portable LoZ games.

Back in serious mode, who's even heard of Metal Gear Ghost Babel? It still doesn't change the fact that Snake is not only not known for being on Nintendo systems, but is in fact known for being on everything BUT Nintendo systems. It would be like putting Doom Guy in Smash. Sure, there was a SNES Doom port, and this N64 exclusive, but Doom and Doom Guy are known as PC things.
Just because Ghost Babel is obscure doesn't make it bad. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who has played it who didn't like it.

Although I do agree that Snake is out of place in Smash, but I'm also saying that Ghost Babel kicks a ton of ass.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You say "why not put Master Chief in Smash".
But what you don't know I would be totally down with Master Chief in Smash Bros.
If only because we'd be one step closer to getting Banjo & Kazooie. :chuckle:

Still don't really see Pac-Man as a bad inclusion...and Master Chief is (probably) not comparable to any mascot in Smash, yet.
I could find a million other reasons to justify Pac-Man as well.

finalark

SNORLAX
Hey man, I liked Shantae :c
I played the first one a few weeks ago. Wasn't really impressed by it. Poor pacing, the camera is too close, enemies take too long to kill and doing so isn't very rewarding. Dancing to transform is novel at first but the appeal wares off quickly when you realize it murders the game's pacing. It's honestly kind of a boring game IMO.

I hear the sequels are better, but right now I'm not really feeling all that inclined to give them a go.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I didn't think Shantae was as good as other people made it out to be either. It tries to be a lot of things but a lot of the things it wants to be are contradictory in my opinion. For example, it wants to be a game with an open world and exploration but it also wants to be a platformer where you can die in pits. Metroidvania games don't allow you to die in pits for a reason. Unlike other sidescrollers, you're allowed to move left and you're allowed to move down. The pit doesn't hurl you towards death. You explore what was inside of that pit instead. Being able to die from falling in pits in Shantae just created moments of frustration for me.

Maybe the later ones are better but I wouldn't know.

finalark

SNORLAX
I feel like the game Shantae tried to hardest to emulate was Casltevania II.

Which isn't exactly the best game to emulate.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
Well, as someone who has played the 3 games, and the demo of Half Genie Hero.

Risky's Revenge does improve on the camera, making things easier to see, but it does still have issues with pacing and it gets more dickish with bottomless pits.

Pirate's Curse is by far the best of the bunch, swapping out the magic for pirate tools really speeds up things and ups the pacing, and just generally better level design all around, it still has bottomless pits, but at least they're toned down, which probably doesn't mean much considering it not only still wants to be Metroidvania, but also does the jerk thing of some pits are safe to go in but not others.

Point being I'm a fan of the series, but I understand why others wouldn't like it.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
A mediocre Castlevania clone.
...You haven't played any pre-SOTN Castlevania, have you? Go track down a copy of Super Castlevania 4, you won't be disappointed.

One of the few worthwhile portable LoZ games.
4/7 could be better, but it could have been a lot worse.

Just because Ghost Babel is obscure doesn't make it bad. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who has played it who didn't like it.

Although I do agree that Snake is out of place in Smash, but I'm also saying that Ghost Babel kicks a ton of ***.
Then why are you arguing? My entire point is that player consensus on Ghost Babel is irrelevant, because it doesn't change the fact that it's so obscure and Snake is primarily a non-Nintendo thing. It would be like announcing James Bond for Smash - Yes, there was Goldeneye, but that's not really relevant to Nintendo or its history. Except Snake is even dumber, because Goldeneye is very fondly remembered, but nobody cares about the Nintendo Metal Gears.

And yes, I know that James Bond was considered for SSBM. It's a good thing they didn't want to deal with the rights headaches, because that would have been a terrible idea.

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
And yes, I know that James Bond was considered for SSBM. It's a good thing they didn't want to deal with the rights headaches, because that would have been a terrible idea.
W-w-w-what?
*actually Googles*

Holy crap. Imagine if they went through with this. Would people start voting for Duke Nukem

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Then why are you arguing? My entire point is that player consensus on Ghost Babel is irrelevant, because it doesn't change the fact that it's so obscure and Snake is primarily a non-Nintendo thing. It would be like announcing James Bond for Smash - Yes, there was Goldeneye, but that's not really relevant to Nintendo or its history. Except Snake is even dumber, because Goldeneye is very fondly remembered, but nobody cares about the Nintendo Metal Gears.
Snake in Smash is very fondly remembered, is that not enough? Why should we keep a unique character who was already in Smash from returning to fulfill some company aesthetic requirement that nobody can even agree on?

You don't have to like a character to want them to return. I didn't like Roy. I hated Mewtwo. I was sad about Lucas, but I got over it. But when they returned, I was glad, because that means their fans get to play as them again. I consider that more important than my personal feelings over what my aesthetically and conceptually perfect Smash roster would look like. It's why I no longer advocate cutting clones. Would it make the roster a lot neater? Yes, it would. Would it please me? Yes, it would. It would also annoy a whole bunch of people for no reason other than "eh, I don't like 'em."

I'm not a confrontational type of person. I don't like "call out" culture or anything of the sort. But I would like to understand why you consider it so important that Snake not return in light of the fact that there is a significant number of people who found his absence upsetting. He is the second most requested veteran, slightly behind Wolf in PushDustin's poll, and probably in the top 5 request ballot characters. Why do you think it is worth disappointing all those people? What is the trade-off? I mean this in the calmest, most polite way I can express through text, so please do not take this as an attack on your person or anything else. I've just seen a lot of people with this opinion, and I really want to understand why it is Snake generates so much enmity.

It is, after all, one thing if he is a newcomer. And I would agree that if he was a newcomer, his chances would be low. I wouldn't be able to fathom his inclusion. We'd all probably have a mighty good laugh about it. But the fact remains that he was in Brawl. He had a stage. He was in the SSE (Jigglypuff wasn't even lucky enough to be included). An entire generation of kids grew up with Snake on the roster. For the kids who played Brawl as their first Smash game (and that's a significant number), his inclusion was taken for granted and was not even notable.

There must be a very good reason to say "in an ideal world without time restraints and where copyright issues aren't a concern, we should still, nevertheless, not bring Snake back into Smash Bros."

finalark

SNORLAX
...You haven't played any pre-SOTN Castlevania, have you? Go track down a copy of Super Castlevania 4, you won't be disappointed.
LOL OKAY

In this very thread I've talked about how Dark Souls wasn't that challenging for me since I've beaten CV1 and Drac's Curse (Grant OP and horribly underrepresented in the series' lore).

In a few posts above I just pointed out how Shantae takes notes from Simon's Quest.

Rondo of Blood is one of my favorite games of all time.

The words "Super Castlevania IV" can be used to summarize my sophomore year of high school.

BTW, you should go track down a copy of Castlevania Bloodlines. It came out on the Genesis and is horribly overshadowed by CV4 for not being as technologically impressive and also not having the OP whip but it manages to be one of the most challenging games in the series. It's where the Lecarde spear (not the Alucacard spear as SOTN fans cal lit) comes from.

Shantae is still aping the **** out of Castlevania, BTW.

4/7 could be better, but it could have been a lot worse.
The fact that it's a handheld LoZ game that's even worth looking at is a miracle.

Then why are you arguing? My entire point is that player consensus on Ghost Babel is irrelevant, because it doesn't change the fact that it's so obscure and Snake is primarily a non-Nintendo thing.
Well, yeah.

But Snake was still in the best GBC game. Plus he's fun to play as.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Snake in Smash is very fondly remembered, is that not enough? Why should we keep a unique character who was already in Smash from returning to fulfill some company aesthetic requirement that nobody can even agree on?

You don't have to like a character to want them to return. I didn't like Roy. I hated Mewtwo. I was sad about Lucas, but I got over it. But when they returned, I was glad, because that means their fans get to play as them again. I consider that more important than my personal feelings over what my aesthetically and conceptually perfect Smash roster would look like. It's why I no longer advocate cutting clones. Would it make the roster a lot neater? Yes, it would. Would it please me? Yes, it would. It would also annoy a whole bunch of people for no reason other than "eh, I don't like 'em."

I'm not a confrontational type of person. I don't like "call out" culture or anything of the sort. But I would like to understand why you consider it so important that Snake not return in light of the fact that there is a significant number of people who found his absence upsetting. He is the second most requested veteran, slightly behind Wolf in PushDustin's poll, and probably in the top 5 request ballot characters. Why do you think it is worth disappointing all those people? What is the trade-off? I mean this in the calmest, most polite way I can express through text, so please do not take this as an attack on your person or anything else. I've just seen a lot of people with this opinion, and I really want to understand why it is Snake generates so much enmity.

It is, after all, one thing if he is a newcomer. And I would agree that if he was a newcomer, his chances would be low. I wouldn't be able to fathom his inclusion. We'd all probably have a mighty good laugh about it. But the fact remains that he was in Brawl. He had a stage. He was in the SSE (Jigglypuff wasn't even lucky enough to be included). An entire generation of kids grew up with Snake on the roster. For the kids who played Brawl as their first Smash game (and that's a significant number), his inclusion was taken for granted and was not even notable.

There must be a very good reason to say "in an ideal world without time restraints and where copyright issues aren't a concern, we should still, nevertheless, not bring Snake back into Smash Bros."
So Snake should come back for Sm4sh, because some people were triggered that he was left out? Some characters should be cut. Pichu was a good cut, because it was just a joke character. With the ever-expanding roster size, it becomes hard to justify spending development resources to fully implement and test a character that's intentionally underpowered. The player will find a joke character funny for maybe five matches, and then it will be ignored. I'm sure somebody, somewhere missed Pichu, but it's just not a good investment of time and resources.

The Ice Climbers were cut for more technical reasons, but this ultimately ended up being a good thing. With the removal of chain grabs, they would have been trash-tier without ridiculous buffs. Their inclusion in Melee was pretty iffy anyways, they came from a pretty obscure game and were chosen for no reason except "hey wouldnt it be cool if you were controlling two characters at once?".

When Pac-Man gets cut, it will be a good thing. When Ryu gets cut, it will be a good thing. When Lucina (my primary alt) gets cut (or becomes a PM-style alt costume, seriously Sora why did you only do that for Alph and the Koopa Kids) from Smash NeXt I can't really be too upset about it. These characters were poor roster choices to begin with, the best solution is to either change their status as PCs (as with Lucina/Dark Pit/Lucas) or remove them outright (Snake, Pac-Man, Ryu, Pichu, Ice Climbers).

LOL OKAY

In this very thread I've talked about how Dark Souls wasn't that challenging for me since I've beaten CV1 and Drac's Curse (Grant OP and horribly underrepresented in the series' lore).

In a few posts above I just pointed out how Shantae takes notes from Simon's Quest.

Rondo of Blood is one of my favorite games of all time.

The words "Super Castlevania IV" can be used to summarize my sophomore year of high school.
Okay, I apologize and retract my statement. I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions, even if the conclusions seemed pretty obvious.

Shantae is still aping the **** out of Castlevania, BTW.
I've only ever seriously played Castlevanias 1 and 4, but from what Castlevania I've played seems to indicate that Shantae take notes more from Metroid than from Castlevania, at least in terms of map/level design. I think you could argue that Castlevania aped Metroid. Not that taking influence from something else is inherently a bad thing. All art is derivative, what makes it seem new and original is how you change it. Metroid used the style to show the hostile environments Samus is marooned on, Shantae uses it to let the player travel the large map of Sequin Land without needing to shift perspective from 2D>3D, which makes travel feel more seamless and keeps the action fast-paced.

The fact that it's a handheld LoZ game that's even worth looking at is a miracle.
Out of eight total (I forgot to count FSO in my first tally), four have been great, another one was good, but not life-changing, and one was disappointing only because of its pathetic dungeon count. Except for ST (which is the only Zelda I haven't played yet, and that's by choice), FSO, and maybe Triforce Heroes (which isn't out yet, so I'm not counting it yet), all of the handheld Zelda games have been quite playable.

finalark

SNORLAX
I've only ever seriously played Castlevanias 1 and 4, but from what Castlevania I've played seems to indicate that Shantae take notes more from Metroid than from Castlevania, at least in terms of map/level design. I think you could argue that Castlevania aped Metroid. Not that taking influence from something else is inherently a bad thing. All art is derivative, what makes it seem new and original is how you change it. Metroid used the style to show the hostile environments Samus is marooned on, Shantae uses it to let the player travel the large map of Sequin Land without needing to shift perspective from 2D>3D, which makes travel feel more seamless and keeps the action fast-paced.
Well, you just flat out admitted that you've never played any of the CV RPGs, so there's your problem.

I'm not going to argue that the CV RPGs don't take influence from Metroid, because they obviously do.

But the thing is with Shantae is that it pretty obviously is aping CV in particular. You see, transforming to traverse the world and get to new areas was kinda SotN's thing. Shantae transforming into a monkey to climb a wall isn't all that different from Alucard turning into a bat to fly into small alcoves.

Second, we have Shantae's primary attack: her braid. You can't even pretend that this wasn't lifted from CV. The wind up, the precision and feel of the strike are exactly identical to the good old vampire killer. As a long time CV fan it just felt a bit too familiar to me.

Third, we have the level design. As I stated above, the game tries really hard to emulate Simon's Quest here. Like CV2, the game tries to mix challenging platforming with exploration and, just like CV2, it fails at both. Both games hit the same pitfalls, enemies are grindy and not fun to kill but you have to kill them to get the game's currency to progress, bottomless pits (it's a pun!) and bland, repetitious environments. Plus their progression is similar, explore the enemy and trap filled over world until you find a dungeon, survive that, find the McGuffin and repeat, occasionally returning to town to buy stuff if need be.

I feel like Shantae's dev process was tossing Simon's Quest and SotN into a blender and then slapping a cute genie girl onto whatever gray goo came out of it.

EDIT: Also, the "jumping planes" mechanic you mentioned was cool, but horribly underutilized. I feel like the game might have come out better if they had focused on it some more.

all of the handheld Zelda games have been quite playable.
I'm not trying to say that the hand held LoZ games are unplayable garbage or anything. I'm just saying most of them are very underwhelmingly average and usually not worth playing.

Last edited:

Kksweet

Smash Rookie
Here are some of mine;

I think these games are super overrated for teh amount of people that play the game and tell me its a graet game: League of Legends, Call of duty, Minecraft.

I think Dota 2 is easily better than LoL for many reasons after trying Lol for 8 months.

CoD died when Black ops 1 came out, and especially killed itself with CoD AW.

And mincraft gets super bland after about an hour of playing.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well, as someone who has played the 3 games, and the demo of Half Genie Hero.

Risky's Revenge does improve on the camera, making things easier to see, but it does still have issues with pacing and it gets more dickish with bottomless pits.

Pirate's Curse is by far the best of the bunch, swapping out the magic for pirate tools really speeds up things and ups the pacing, and just generally better level design all around, it still has bottomless pits, but at least they're toned down, which probably doesn't mean much considering it not only still wants to be Metroidvania, but also does the jerk thing of some pits are safe to go in but not others.

Point being I'm a fan of the series, but I understand why others wouldn't like it.
You know, the bottomless pit complaint could easily be solved with a visual indicator of bottom pits.
Sonic does this now...

Which is good, as Sonic is generally another game where you can explore in all directions.

I'm not trying to say that the hand held LoZ games are unplayable garbage or anything. I'm just saying most of them are very underwhelmingly average and usually not worth playing.
I've never played a handheld Zelda game that I wholly enjoyed.

I hated and never finished Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks, and while Link's Awakening was okay, it feels way too similar to A Link to The Past while also being incredibly tedious.

The Minish Cap is the only one I can say I actually enjoyed, but even then, in hindsight I think it has many of the same flaws as Link's Awakening.
Notably...the game requiring constant switching of your items at all times and the overworld being convoluted and annoying.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
You know, the bottomless pit complaint could easily be solved with a visual indicator of bottom pits.
Sonic does this now...

Which is good, as Sonic is generally another game where you can explore in all directions.
I feel like the Sonic series doesn't get enough credit for this. People complained that bottomless pits were hard to predict with Sonic's speed so Sonic Team found a remedy for it.

Then again, I feel like the Sonic series doesn't get enough credit period.

The Minish Cap is the only one I can say I actually enjoyed, but even then, in hindsight I think it has many of the same flaws as Link's Awakening.
Notably...the game requiring constant switching of your items at all times and the overworld being convoluted and annoying.
I feel like out of all of the handheld LoZ games Minish Cap was hurt the most by system limitations. There's a good game buried in there but the GBA's lack of buttons means you have to constantly rummage through your inventory, killing the pacing and the limited memory means that the overworld has too much stuff packed into it making getting from screen to screen a chore.

So, exactly what you just said.

I feel like the biggest issue that the handheld LoZ games face is that they're all collectively just kind of okay. Even the Oracle duology, which I personally consider to be some of the better handheld LoZ games, aren't really anything I'd ever see myself playing again. I actually got a free copy of Oracle of Ages from Nintendo when Club Nintendo was shutting down and I think I played it for about a total of twenty minutes before I got bored and switched over to something else.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I feel like the Sonic series doesn't get enough credit for this. People complained that bottomless pits were hard to predict with Sonic's speed so Sonic Team found a remedy for it.

Then again, I feel like the Sonic series doesn't get enough credit period.
Aye.
Even the worst Sonic games do something right...I personally feel Shadow the Hedgehog had the potential to be a fun, tongue-in-cheek, fast-paced action platformer with a branching storyline, and it's definitely all there, but it's faults outweigh it's pros and everyone remember it as a heaping pile of **** as a result.

I almost wish someone tries to make an original game that tries to be what Shadow the Hedgehog could have been.

I don't think that was entirely relevant to what you said, but I do understand what you mean - the Sonic games are impactful and Sonic Colors / Generations are very much competent platformers...I don't understand why people say Sonic has sucked terribly, invariably, for so long when those games exist.

I feel like out of all of the handheld LoZ games Minish Cap was hurt the most by system limitations. There's a good game buried in there but the GBA's lack of buttons means you have to constantly rummage through your inventory, killing the pacing and the limited memory means that the overworld has too much stuff packed into it making getting from screen to screen a chore.

So, exactly what you just said.
Indeed. That is very much applicable to Link's Awakening.
I haven't played The Minish Cap in ages but I remember it's overworld problems very distinctly. "Oh look, there's a rock in my path, better swap to bombs to blow it up...okay, past that screen...oh wait, now there's a pit in my way...time to swap to the Roc's Cape..."
Ad infinitum.
I feel like the biggest issue that the handheld LoZ games face is that they're all collectively just kind of okay. Even the Oracle duology, which I personally consider to be some of the better handheld LoZ games, aren't really anything I'd ever see myself playing again. I actually got a free copy of Oracle of Ages from Nintendo when Club Nintendo was shutting down and I think I played it for about a total of twenty minutes before I got bored and switched over to something else.
I'm assuming you did eventually muster up the patience to complete at least one of the two, correct?
Those are the only handheld Zelda's I have yet to play, as well as A Link Between Worlds.
I have faith that game will be good when I finally get to play it, but then again, it's based on A Link to the Past and isn't restricted by hardware limitations.

Which is another beef I have. Why create a sequel/remake to ALttP? That game did pretty much everything right.
Why not try remaking The Minish Cap, which has a lot of issues that could be solved on the 3DS?

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I don't want Knuckles in PM.
His moveset would just be punching and rocks...

Why do you want a character who just punches and throws rocks???

((You could collaborate with the guy who was been working on Waluigi for many years as well as trying to make his character balanced with your game))

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

((You could collaborate with the guy who was been working on Waluigi for many years as well as trying to make his character balanced with your game))
Did the leaked video of Knuckle in PM have him punching rocks or no?

Can't remember off the top of my head.

Also FF7 is kind of in the "meh" range for me.

It was ok I suppose.

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice

Why would you want Mario in PM?
His moveset would just be throwing fireballs and punching.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Why would you want Mario in PM?
His moveset would just be throwing fireballs and punching.
Thats because Mario is one of the flagship Nintendo Characters (You know the actual Mascot for nintendo). Besides no one really wanted Knuckles at all to be in Smash. I mean we have people working on really outstanding Character mods like Waluigi and Ridley (and I really hope that the Project M Dev team lets their characters in as well as put them on the Dev team [but a man can dream]). Besides for me a character in Smash for me is a really big deal and when I think about I charicter I want I think about their popularity, moveset probability, as well as how many people are going to play them. Even for a Sonic character inclusion (Which to me is really dumb), I would prefer Tails. Mostly since Tails has been put in Fan games like Super Smash Flash and Crusade. But if you really want to have him in, then go ahead I wouldn't care. I'll probably ignore him like I do sometimes with Pichu and Olimar. Issac is pretty cool tho.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm assuming you did eventually muster up the patience to complete at least one of the two, correct?
Those are the only handheld Zelda's I have yet to play, as well as A Link Between Worlds.
I have faith that game will be good when I finally get to play it, but then again, it's based on A Link to the Past and isn't restricted by hardware limitations.
Well, yeah. I beat both Seasons and Ages years ago but I can never seem to get through them again.

Link Between Worlds was alright. It has a lot of good ideas like renting items and finishing dungeons in any order but aside from that so little is changed that it almost feels like some kind of elaborate ALTTP mod rather than its own game.

It's worth playing, despite being an awkward retread, but it's nothing I'd play again.

Which is another beef I have. Why create a sequel/remake to ALttP? That game did pretty much everything right.
Why not try remaking The Minish Cap, which has a lot of issues that could be solved on the 3DS?
Because anyone old enough to remember ALTTP, whether it be the original SNES version or the GBA port, is old enough to have plenty of disposable income.

Really wish they had gone for a more original game.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Here's one that's a little personal for me. I don't understand why so many people choose to associate indie games with hipster culture. There's nothing "hipster" about indie games and indie game developers. All an indie game is is a person deciding they want to make a game and not waiting for a big company's permission to make said game.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Here's one that's a little personal for me. I don't understand why so many people choose to associate indie games with hipster culture. There's nothing "hipster" about indie games and indie game developers. All an indie game is is a person deciding they want to make a game and not waiting for a big company's permission to make said game.
Think of guys like Johnathan Blow and Phil Fish and their games.

That's mostly the reason. Not all indie games have that hipster culture and attitude but the attitude and culture is in indie games moreso than regular published games.

I know it might seem like a bad comparison but it's the kinda how it is when most of the games that plague the indie section of games have that hipster feel to it. Not every game fits that category but you see the idea.

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
Think of guys like Johnathan Blow and Phil Fish and their games.

That's mostly the reason. Not all indie games have that hipster culture and attitude but the attitude and culture is in indie games moreso than regular published games.

I know it might seem like a bad comparison but it's the kinda how it is when most of the games that plague the indie section of games have that hipster feel to it. Not every game fits that category but you see the idea.
"Phil Fish" should be censored throughout the entire internet.

finalark

SNORLAX
Probably because Indie games have this image of being uptight and pretentious.

Which isn't entirely true, but also isn't entirely untrue.

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
"Phil Fish" should be censored throughout the entire internet.
I used to think that Jonathan Blow was pretty alright until I watched Indie Game: The Movie and found out that he has no sense of humor.
I used to think that P*** F*** was cool thanks to Indie Game: The Movie, until I actually found out about his evils.

Very much this.

Not even their soundtracks get any recognition outside of the fanbase...
I am maybe the furthest thing from a Sonic fan, but damn if I don't love the soundtracks.

Sonic Rush has one of my favorite game soundtracks ever. Hideki Naganuma is the best.

Zi^

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThaLegundOfLonk
3DS FC
2767-0988-1706
Ocarina of Time sucks.
i love The Legend of Zelda, but(t) Ocarina of Time sucks.
it's boring, slow, no exploration (there is the ****ing Hyrule Field with ALL the places where you must go for the story), the dungeons are full of "there is a eye. shoot it", and a lot of other things. personally, i prefer (the air) Wind Waker.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Ocarina of Time sucks.
it's boring, slow, no exploration (there is the ****ing Hyrule Field with ALL the places where you must go for the story), the dungeons are full of "there is a eye. shoot it", and a lot of other things. personally, i prefer (the air) Wind Waker.
Egoraptor?

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
Ocarina of Time sucks.
Pretty much me, aside from thinking any of the other games are good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom