• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

From my experience, Smash Tour is indeed a fun mode just as long as you're not trying to complete the challenges that require it.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Here are some of mine;

I think these games are super overrated for teh amount of people that play the game and tell me its a graet game: League of Legends, Call of duty, Minecraft.

I think Dota 2 is easily better than LoL for many reasons after trying Lol for 8 months.
If I may ask, what exactly are these reasons? I personally enjoy DotA 2 more, but I'm not sure if I would say DotA is easily the superior game.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I think Twin Snakes is better than PS1 MGS.
I prefer PS1 MGS, but Twin Snakes isn't nearly as bad as some Metal Gear fans make it out to be. And in many ways, it's better.

...You haven't played any pre-SOTN Castlevania, have you? Go track down a copy of Super Castlevania 4, you won't be disappointed.
Rondo > SC4

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I prefer PS1 MGS, but Twin Snakes isn't nearly as bad as some Metal Gear fans make it out to be. And in many ways, it's better.
I know some fans don't like the story changes and think that Twin Snakes goes too over the top, but complaining about Metal Gear being a bit too ridiculous is like complaining about Mortal Kombat being a bit too violent.

Rondo > SC4
This is correct.

I think CV4 is a good game, but at the same time I find it a tad irksome that it seems to be the good-to "best in the series" for when you want to make yourself look like you have an informed opinion on Castlevania.

EDIT: On that note, "popular unpopular" games in general kinda bug me. For example, Final Fantasy VI and Majora's Mask are both fine games in their own right, but it's annoying when you see people acting like these games are somehow horribly underrated or hidden gems. IMO they kinda come off as the games you declare "the best in the series" if you want to look informed and not list the most well known entry in a series.

Last edited:
I know some fans don't like the story changes and think that Twin Snakes goes too over the top, but complaining about Metal Gear being a bit too ridiculous is like complaining about Mortal Kombat being a bit too violent.
True, though the cutscenes are less Kojima ridiculous and more The Matrix ridiculous. Not inherently a bad thing, but not everyone's cup of tea - at least not in the context of a Metal Gear game. It's sorta like how everyone said that Rising was proof that Metal Gear can be done without Kojima, but that game was way more Platinum stupid than Kojima stupid. I love both of those, but they're totally different.

Twin Snakes did have way better gameplay, but it kinda trivialized everything. Not that the original was some brutally difficult game, but still.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
EDIT: On that note, "popular unpopular" games in general kinda bug me. For example, Final Fantasy VI and Majora's Mask are both fine games in their own right, but it's annoying when you see people acting like these games are somehow horribly underrated or hidden gems. IMO they kinda come off as the games you declare "the best in the series" if you want to look informed and not list the most well known entry in a series.
Agree.
To be fair, Majora's Mask did seem like a weird case for a while. Now that Majora's Mask 3D is out though, it's very clear it's popular and Nintendo is capitalizing.
All in all, there are no underrated gems in Zelda.
The ones that are good are considered some of the greatest games of their respective generation, and the ones that are considered bad are generally thought of that way for a good reason.

finalark

SNORLAX
Twin Snakes did have way better gameplay, but it kinda trivialized everything. Not that the original was some brutally difficult game, but still.
I don't know if I'm just bad or what, but IMO Twin Snakes is the hardest game in the series (at least, as far as I've played which is most everything bar a few spin offs and the MSX games). Something about the guards extended vision and MGS2 level AI in levels not designed for it makes things surprisingly tough.

Apparently there's some tranq gun you can get that makes the game zetta easy, but in my five or six playthroughs I have never once encountered such a thing. I don't know if it's hidden in plain sight and I just some how miss it every time or if there's some big joke that I'm not in on but I swear to god I've never seen it.

Agree.
To be fair, Majora's Mask did seem like a weird case for a while. Now that Majora's Mask 3D is out though, it's very clear it's popular and Nintendo is capitalizing.
Ten years ago I would totally agree that MM is underrated. For a long time it was kinda swept under the rug as "the weird Zelda" at best. Some time around the beginning of the "games as art" movement people suddenly got really attached to it for whatever reason.

Although I do get where the game's reputation comes from, since for a long time it was kinda forgotten by the LoZ community. But I feel like this kind of a Macintosh case where it still carries its old reputation (In MM's case it's being underrated, in Mac's case its being significantly more user friendly) despite said reputation not applying for years. Games like Final Fantasy IX and EarthBound are kinda in the same boat.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Ten years ago I would totally agree that MM is underrated. For a long time it was kinda swept under the rug as "the weird Zelda" at best. Some time around the beginning of the "games as art" movement people suddenly got really attached to it for whatever reason.

Although I do get where the game's reputation comes from, since for a long time it was kinda forgotten by the LoZ community. But I feel like this kind of a Macintosh case where it still carries its old reputation (In MM's case it's being underrated, in Mac's case its being significantly more user friendly) despite said reputation not applying for years. Games like Final Fantasy IX and EarthBound are kinda in the same boat.
Well, it makes sense. One thing I'll give Majora's Mask credit for despite being tedious IMO was being one of the most profound games I've played ever.
I'd like to add Shadow of the Colossus to that list, FYI. I don't think it was ever underrated or hidden at all, unlike ICO. But they seem to be grouped together.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Oh god Super Castlevania 4.....holy turd alert

It's like an arcade Castlevania with downs syndrome, I seriously don't understand the love for that game at all. If you look up "jank" in my dictionary it would say - Super Castlevania 4.

And I love the pretty much every 2D Castlevania game.

thief_of_demons

Smash Journeyman
I seem to have a knack for preferring games in popular franchises that are considered "the odd one out"

For example, the only Metal Gear game I really truly like is Metal Gear Rising and I also prefer Raiden as a character over Snake. That's not to say I don't understand why the other Metal Gear games are so well respected, though. I'm just not a fan of stealth games, they're just too slow for me. Metal Gear Rising on the other hand is the polar opposite to the others games in the franchise however, so that's why I prefer it.

I also consider Super Mario Sunshine to be much better than the other main Mario games and personally find that to be the best game in the Mario franchise as well. I loved how it had a much more open world approach to it and the FLUDD mechanic was just so fun and unique. It was the first time I'd ever played a game with that style of gameplay, too. I could rattle on about other mixed opinion games that I prefer, but I'd say those two are prime examples.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
But you can't deny Sunshine's 100% reward is lame.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
But you can't deny Sunshine's 100% reward is lame.
...There's a reward?

BTW, I came here because I remembered an unpopular opinion I hold.
Remember Me was a good game. With a few improvements it could be fantastic. In case anyone doesn't, ironically, remember it, it is this game:

The combo system was cool and set up for some deliciously cheap effects like regaining all your health or beating the absolute **** of an enemy in one combo. The story and world is very interesting. The music and art direction was fantastic, and lastly, the protagonist, Nilin, is a badass.

I played it about six months ago and wondered why it was never mentioned after it was released, ever again.

EDIT: I just wish the fights didn't drag out and that there was more Memory Remix sections.

Last edited:

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
The game barely got any marketing if I recall, most didn't even know it existed.

But I enjoyed the game myself, sans those jerks where hurting them also hurts you.

finalark

SNORLAX
I have no idea if this counts an unpopular opinion (since most LP fans probably have no idea LPs existed well before Youtube) but old school text-and-screenshot based LP > video LPs.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The game barely got any marketing if I recall, most didn't even know it existed.

But I enjoyed the game myself, sans those jerks where hurting them also hurts you.
I don't remember those enemies?
I'm not surprised. I saw it in a couple magazines and IGN and then it out a while later.
Such a shame. Maybe if Capcom was more invested in it they could have polished some of it's flaws.

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
I have no idea if this counts an unpopular opinion (since most LP fans probably have no idea LPs existed well before Youtube) but old school text-and-screenshot based LP > video LPs.
People did those of Fire Emblem hacks on the SerenesForest forums a few years ago.
I enjoyed them more than I do video LPs.

finalark

SNORLAX
People did those of Fire Emblem hacks on the SerenesForest forums a few years ago.
I enjoyed them more than I do video LPs.
I feel like with text Let's Plays you have to be a bit more clever in how you present your play through and how you deliver your jokes. Not to be the guy who says that all video lets plays are people screaming and overreacting, because they're not and I've seen a lot that I like. That being said, stereotypes exist for a reason.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
You mean a walkthrough? Because the purpose of a "text LP" is to tell you how to go through the game while a "video LP" is just watching someone play a game regardless of whether or not they're doing it right.

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
You mean a walkthrough? Because the purpose of a "text LP" is to tell you how to go through the game while a "video LP" is just watching someone play a game regardless of whether or not they're doing it right.
Nah, they weren't walkthroughs necessarily. They were just like goofy LPs with the same joking atmosphere, just in text.

finalark

SNORLAX
No, I mean a text LP. It's not a walk through, since the primary objective isn't to help someone get through the game. It's to chronicles someone's play through in the type of a good old fashion After Action Report where the LP plays the game, takes a few screen shots and then writes about their experiences.

For example, here's someone's LP of their Final Fantasy II solo run.

I feel like people get much more creative with these. For instance, this awesome LP that reinterpretations Animal Crossing as a surprisingly engaging horror story.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
No, I mean a text LP. It's not a walk through, since the primary objective isn't to help someone get through the game. It's to chronicles someone's play through in the type of a good old fashion After Action Report where the LP plays the game, takes a few screen shots and then writes about their experiences.

For example, here's someone's LP of their Final Fantasy II solo run.

I feel like people get much more creative with these. For instance, this awesome LP that reinterpretations Animal Crossing as a surprisingly engaging horror story.
I actually did not know that was a thing.

Screenshot LPs tend to be funnier than video LPs, in my experience. Jokes are easier to deliver effectively in text form versus improvisation, though maybe that's more indicative of the average YouTuber's improv skill.

I do wish there were less LPs focused solely on comedy, though. There's merit in a blind playthrough, but I love it when the person playing actually knows the game super well, so they're able to provide some interesting commentary. Plus, there's less of a chance of them bumbling through the game at a glacial pace.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
This may be an unpopular opinion:

I don't get the appeal of Let's Plays at all. I mean I guess it helps that I can afford most of the games I want (and consequently just play them myself), but even then, I'd rather experience games myself, even if I have to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom