• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your top 50 favorite albums?

Deathconsciousness

Banned via Administration

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master

Took about 30 minutes to come up with. Based on looking at everybody else's top 50's, I feel like mine revolves around a lot of the same artists more or less (well at least the top 20 do). I listen to many different musicians, but in terms of ENTIRE albums, only a few are able to keep me interested for most of it.

Top 4 are albums I love, and am always down to listen to. The albums after that I will listen to often, and enjoy most of it, if not all of it. The others are albums that contain a lot of songs I enjoy, but that have multiple tracks than I don't care too much for as well.

Also I really like your list Sizzle LOL

And I feel like I should listen to some Aphex Twin. Heard some stuff by 'em, but never really delved too deep, and yet they are appearing quite regularly on these lists.

Btw, Morning View and Make Yourself are worlds better than Light Grenades, c'mon now guys.

Edit: How do you get the list on the side of the picture?

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami

Shwagzamaxima

Smash Cadet
Swiggity swag

Ever listened to the Eno-Byrne collaboration My Life in the Bush of Ghosts? Great Stuff.
No, but it's definitely on my backlog.
nice taste, dat eno. don't really like remain in light by TH for some reason, but it's whatever.

here's my rym btw:

http://rateyourmusic.com/~x9d
It's a much more rhythm based album than most westerners would be comfortable with. And it tries to combine 70 different genres for no real reason. So there are plenty of reasons to not like it. I just thought it worked.

Bieber

Smash Apprentice
56556f1b0b450fe84366314e22343ca5.jpg

off the top of my head, pretty sure i forgot a bunch. they're not really ordered outside the top 10 or so

some of your guys' lists are diverse as ****, mine is like 99% indie rock lol

Deathconsciousness

View attachment 1550

off the top of my head, pretty sure i forgot a bunch. they're not really ordered outside the top 10 or so

some of your guys' lists are diverse as ****, mine is like 99% indie rock lol
nice taste, <3 MBDTF, the replacements, the microphones, my bloody valentine, the d-plan, and guided by voices :3

JC Shine Studios

Smash Apprentice
This is bound to change in a few months, I could probably make this again right now and it would be totally different lol

Edit: I just ****ing uploaded a screen of it LOL

Attachments

Deathconsciousness

This is bound to change in a few months, I could probably make this again right now and it would be totally different lol

Edit: I just ****ing uploaded a screen of it LOL
you like giles corey? word, enemies list is an amazing label. i'm assuming that means you've heard have a nice life, right?

JC Shine Studios

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I have but I've never actually given deathconsciousness a listen, I will today though cause I've been meaning to listen to it and I just got a new cord for my cans like a week ago lol

Also been meaning to listen to Yanqui from GY!BE and Ill probably do that today as well

And honestly I'm probably gonna update my chart later on cause I know I could make it more accurate lol

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
i might redo my thing later. but now i'll just do my favorite albums (and eps) from this year so far!

1. deafheaven - sunbather
2. zygoma disposal- the forgotten
3. gillian carter - lost ships sinking with the sunset
4. chon- newborn sun
5. joey badass - summer knights
6. tegan and sara - heartthrob
7. justin timberlake- the 20/20 experience
8. dillinger escape plan - one of us is the killer
9. fallujah - -nomadic-
10. yeah yeah yeahs- mosquito

Deathconsciousness

Yeah I have but I've never actually given deathconsciousness a listen, I will today though cause I've been meaning to listen to it and I just got a new cord for my cans like a week ago lol

Also been meaning to listen to Yanqui from GY!BE and Ill probably do that today as well

And honestly I'm probably gonna update my chart later on cause I know I could make it more accurate lol
word hope you like it, since january of this year it's been my favorite album of all time. dan barrett is a genius. And ehh, Yanqui ain't that great IMO, idk, I just like samples and **** in my post-rock I guess.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Yanqui to me is a very middle of the road Godspeed album, about on the same tier as the newest one. Antennas to Heaven and Slow Riot for New Zero Kaneda are their definitive works imo particularly Moya which is like one of the most perfect songs ever written

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
i hate Dead Flag Blues so i can't really say i love the whole album too much. talk about overwrought. i prefer when the spoken word/samples stuff isn't so handwringing and melodramatic...or when it is, that it's not obvious that one of the bandmembers wrote it

redid my list!! and made it top 100 lol

JC Shine Studios

Smash Apprentice
i might redo my thing later. but now i'll just do my favorite albums (and eps) from this year so far!

4. chon- newborn sun
9. fallujah - -nomadic-
This seems like fun, in no particular order my AOTYSF list!

1. The Drones - I See Seaweed
2. Sunbather - Deafheaven
3. The Knife - Shaking the Habitual
4. Jon Hopkins - Immunity
5. Quasimoto - Yessir Whatever
6. Savages - Silence Yourself
7. These New Puritans - Field of Reeds
8. Iceage - You're Nothing
9. Young Fathers - Tape Two
10. Run the Jewels - S/T
11. Ether - Human Error
12. HawkHouse - A Little More Elbow Room
13. The Haxan Cloak - Excavation
14. ASIWYFA - All Hail Bright Futures
15. Anamanaguchi - Endless Fantasy
16. Daft Punk - R.A.M.
17. Foxygen - 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace and Magic
18. Mister Lies - Mowgli
19. The World is a Beautiful Place and I am no Longer Afraid to Die - S/T
20. Dan Friel - Total Folklore

What a great year for music, probably some more stuff but this is just what I thought of off the top.

i hate Dead Flag Blues so i can't really say i love the whole album too much. talk about overwrought. i prefer when the spoken word/samples stuff isn't so handwringing and melodramatic...or when it is, that it's not obvious that one of the bandmembers wrote it

redid my list!! and made it top 100 lol

What made you like Exmil more than TMS or NLDW?

Also I think Stadium Arcadium is really underrated, same with Melon Collie, both really solid albums.

Edit: Ooh also the new **** Buttons LP is on my list for sure lol

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Stadium Arcadium is really good, it is such a tragedy what the mastering did to slaughter that album. can't wait for a remaster, or to even hear unmastered tracks.

Mellon Collie gets a lot of brownie points because i discovered it at the perfect angsty romantic teen age of my life. but still, disregarding some of the really petulant whiny lyrics, it's a fantastic double album. the 2012 remaster sounds amazing too

Regarding ExMilitary, it might be because I heard it first before Money Store came out, and it was my introduction to the band, but it hit me so much harder and more consistently than either of the followups did. i also appreciated the occasional slightly more down-to-earth lyricism like on I Want it I need it. Both of the other albums have an even split of great tracks ("No Love" "The Fever" "Lost Boys" etc) and tracks i either don't care for (Hacker) or actively hate (Black Dice). It's just a more consistent experience for me, and I just like the texture and atmosphere of it more. My second favorite is No Love Deep Web. Money Store has the most tracks that i hate, but it also has The Fever which is definitely my fav track.

JC Shine Studios

Smash Apprentice
Mellon Collie gets a lot of brownie points because i discovered it at the perfect angsty romantic teen age of my life. but still, disregarding some of the really petulant whiny lyrics, it's a fantastic double album. the 2012 remaster sounds amazing to
This is pretty much my scenario for Stadium Arcadium, I heard it at the time my parents were splitting and tracks like Wet Sand and Strip My Mind really hit hard for me. And I pretty much agree that the production probably could have been more finite on the album for sure, a reissue would be super cool.

Regarding ExMilitary, it might be because I heard it first before Money Store came out, and it was my introduction to the band, but it hit me so much harder and more consistently than either of the followups did. i also appreciated the occasional slightly more down-to-earth lyricism like on I Want it I need it. Both of the other albums have an even split of great tracks ("No Love" "The Fever" "Lost Boys" etc) and tracks i either don't care for (Hacker) or actively hate (Black Dice). It's just a more consistent experience for me, and I just like the texture and atmosphere of it more. My second favorite is No Love Deep Web. Money Store has the most tracks that i hate, but it also has The Fever which is definitely my fav track.
I can agree with this, honestly Exmil is my second favorite behind NLDW just because of how raw it is, especially in the vocals department, it's just really industrial and I liked the feeling I was getting from it. As well, the lyricism was really good and the sampling was awesome on every track. The whole album had a really cool theme of anti culture and paranoia and it really clicked well with me for sure; but the latter of the two is what I really loved in NLDW. From the vocals, to the production, to the lyrics' it all made me feel like a total schizoid. It brought up a lot of stuff that I myself had thought of / experienced when I was really deep into my depression and so I guess it holds a special place in my heart as weird as it sounds.

Although I agree that some of the tracks were kinda sub par relative to the rest of the album, I didn't care for Pop or World of Dogs that much, even if only for the sound direction of the two songs.

It kinda makes me feel like TMS was their inbetween point for the thematics of their work, as well it seems like it kind of acted like an introduction into what they're going to be making in the future, as well as what they have made. [NLDW]

Cool to see your opinions on it btw!

So speaking of which, did anyone see how Stephan and Zach made it to the front page of 'E!'?
Seems like they've been getting a lot of exposure after NLDW dropped

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I see you, Miseducation of Lauryn Hill <3

Doo Wop (That Thing) was stuck in my head for a few days recently lol

Sizzle

I paint controllers

Took about 30 minutes to come up with. Based on looking at everybody else's top 50's, I feel like mine revolves around a lot of the same artists more or less (well at least the top 20 do). I listen to many different musicians, but in terms of ENTIRE albums, only a few are able to keep me interested for most of it.

Top 4 are albums I love, and am always down to listen to. The albums after that I will listen to often, and enjoy most of it, if not all of it. The others are albums that contain a lot of songs I enjoy, but that have multiple tracks than I don't care too much for as well.

Also I really like your list Sizzle LOL

And I feel like I should listen to some Aphex Twin. Heard some stuff by 'em, but never really delved too deep, and yet they are appearing quite regularly on these lists.

Btw, Morning View and Make Yourself are worlds better than Light Grenades, c'mon now guys.

Edit: How do you get the list on the side of the picture?

Haha I just randomly clicked this thread again. You have a solid list too :) I think there's an option to configure the layout on the site, where you add the caption on the right side.

EDIT: I loved Stadium Arcadium. I'm surprised I forgot to put it on my list. I guess I had 3 RHCP albums on there already lol.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Until the Quiet Comes has recently topped Cosmogramma as my favorite Flylo project, and it's starting to become one of my favorite things in all of life. to me it is perfect. i didn't put it in my list because i didn't put any 2012 albums in there because i felt like it was too recent and they might not appeal to me the same way in a few years

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Just looked up the video for Putty Boy Strut. Awesome. I will search more flying lotus

Zyskyoto

Banned via Warnings
my favorite albums change like every week but idk i'll give this shot later

Deadsh0t

Smash Rookie

4. chon- newborn sun
9. fallujah - -nomadic-
You mentioned Gillian Carter. I just got a boner.

Deadsh0t

Smash Rookie

forgot the names but whatever

did this in like 20 mins, not easy, had to leave out a bunch of favs

Also apologizes for the double post, forgot to just edit this in.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
You mentioned Gillian Carter. I just got a boner.
your boner just gave me a boner. especially considering you're from canada! i'm friends with that band sorta, since they're from central fl like me!! seen them live a trillion times and filmed them quite a few times. it's awesome to hear someone out of country know of them

Deadsh0t

Smash Rookie
your boner just gave me a boner. especially considering you're from canada! i'm friends with that band sorta, since they're from central fl like me!! seen them live a trillion times and filmed them quite a few times. it's awesome to hear someone out of country know of them
That's rad, they kill it hard. **** man you end up going to Fest this year in Gainesville? I'd love to live in Florida..

Top Bottom