• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your top 50 favorite albums?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
some albums I'm already kicking myself for not including:

MONO and World's End Girlfriend - Palmless Prayer/Mass Murder Refrain

Darkest Hour- Deliver Us http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixAnhQXFw8c

Daft Punk - Alive 07 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5__Ogi4Tek (this show was the first real concert i ever went to. their second ever US appearance in Miami. what an experience)

Gavin Bryars, tramp and Tom Waits - Jesus Blood Never Failed Me Yet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMZVZ5NBkpw

Philip Glass - Metamorphosis/Solo Piano http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiYnfn0kyK0

Blonde Redhead - Misery is a Butterfly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CulzQb-3lk

Dr. Dre - Chronic 2001 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CL6n0FJZpk

Slowdive- Just For a Day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSprwDc64Ug (i've always felt that this was the 80s/90s shoegaze band that should have gotten all the ridiculous hype, over My Bloody Valentine. cant find anyone who agrees, unfortunately. The first two Slowdive albums blow Loveless out of the water imo)

Lantlos - .neon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTDwhMJAM3U

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rrOdcnFbAY

Rolling Stones- Sticky Fingers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFLJFl7ws_0

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
I've actually got a list like that. Listed genres so people reading it wouldn't have to take a guess

Diablo Swing Orchestra- Pandora's Pinata (Swing Metal)
Melvins- Lysol (Drone, Stoner Metal)
Mahavishnu Orchestra-Birds of Fire (Jazz Fusion)
Hella- Tripper (Mathrock, Noise Rock)
Alber Ayler- Spiritual Unity (Free Jazz)
Les Discrets- Septembre et Ses Dernières Pensées (Post Metal, Post Rock)
Venetian Snares- That one with the hungarian title (breakcore)
μ-ziq- Tango n' Vectiff (IDM)
The Residents- Not Available (Experimental)
Captain Beefheart- Trout Mask Replica (Experimental)
Whirr- Distressor (Shoegaze)
Mr Bungle- Mr Bungle (Lots)
Unexpect- Fables of a Sleepless Empire (Experimental Metal)
Anaal Nathrakh- In the Constellation of the Black Widow (Black Metal)
Megadeth- Rust in peace (Thrash Metal)
Dead Kennedys- Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegtables (Punk)
Giant Squid- The Icythologist (Experimental Metal)
The Lounge Lizards- The Lounge Lizards (Jazz Punk)
Glenn Branca- The Ascension (No wave)
DJ Shadow- Endtroducing... (Instrumental Hip Hop)
Slint- Spiderland (Post-Rock, Math Rock)
Nas- Illmatic (Hip Hop)
A Tribe Called Quest- The Low End Theory (hip hop)
Kvelertak-Kvelertak (Black n' Roll)
Have a Nice Life- Deathconsciousness (Post-Punk)
MBV- Loveless (Shoegaze)
INTERNET CLUB-Final Tears (Vaporwave)

Also that maggot brain solo sent chills up my spine the first time I heard it. Cool stuff

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I love you Dark Horse.

I can't get into Distressor as much, but Pipe Dreams has cemented Whirr as one of my very favorite newer bands. Just as good as the classic shoegaze bands, if not better.

Black Widow is def the best Anaal Nathrakh album too!

Unexpect is insane. Just insane. Wish that band was more popular. They're like Diablo Swing and Mr. Bungle on crack

Y

Yodery

Ehhh can't **** with Whirr tbh. :/

What about Have a Nice Life? Now THAT'S a damn good newer shoegaze band.

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
I find it strange how similar tastes are on this board. It seems like the positions vary but there are a lot of artists on multiple lists.

Strangely, I don't think my list feels adequate, and I know if you asked me the same question in a few minutes it'd probably be an entirely different list. Since that is always true though I think it works as a snap shot of this moment so whatever.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Considering that including you four out of six people who have done lists yet are regulars in the metal discussion, and Dark Horse, LT and me all are admitted connoisseurs of nearly all genres, some overlap doesn't sound that improbable to me :D

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Right now I'm digging American Polka, a compliation album that gives you a taste of a wide variety of polka genres such as Chicago Honky, Wisconsin Dutchman, Avant Garde, Mexican Conjunto, and Nuclear Polka. An absolutley phenomonal album for aspiring polka listeners.

Couldn't Resist

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Considering that including you four out of six people who have done lists yet are regulars in the metal discussion, and Dark Horse, LT and me all are admitted connoisseurs of nearly all genres, some overlap doesn't sound that improbable to me :D
there are also a lot of albums that have a sort of internet bandwagon cult following. not sure what it is, but I can almost always expect certain artists and albums to show up on lists like this. things like NMH, My Bloody Valentine, Radiohead, Pink Floyd etc just have a certain notoriety when it comes to internet music fandom. in some cases it feels like a case of "me too!" where I have trouble sincerely believing that so many people genuinely love Aeroplane Over the Sea or artists like Death Grips or Lil B...but then I realize I'm just trying to be snooty and elitist, as if my taste is the only sincere and genuine one and everyone else is faking.

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
there are also a lot of albums that have a sort of internet bandwagon cult following. not sure what it is, but I can almost always expect certain artists and albums to show up on lists like this. things like NMH, My Bloody Valentine, Radiohead, Pink Floyd etc just have a certain notoriety when it comes to internet music fandom. in some cases it feels like a case of "me too!" where I have trouble sincerely believing that so many people genuinely love Aeroplane Over the Sea or artists like Death Grips or Lil B...but then I realize I'm just trying to be snooty and elitist, as if my taste is the only sincere and genuine one and everyone else is faking.
I used to have extremely similar assumptions but then I realized a large part of that has to do with the internet making everything easily accessible and most of those artists being on the easy listening end of their genre. While I wouldn't say NMH are a particularly good indie/folk(ish?) band their songs are well produced and often border on being pop. Death Grips being a slightly non-intuitive one but it's hip-hop made in a way people who don't necessarily like hip-hop can understand it. I'd say that outside of the vocals it has more in common with industrial or rock music. Lil B though? No clue. Add BTBAM to that list, Colors has so much e-cred yet always felt like half the album it's hyped up to be.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Aren't radiohead and pink floyd kinda popular in general? :D

regarding "me too" cases: I've never quite understood why people have to fit in so bad, that they pretend to like stuff they don't enjoy :x

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Lil B though? No clue
Pretty much this.

However, I feel like colors succeeds in showing a metal band that manages to have a much broader scope of music than most metal bands without the possibly alienating weirdness of bands like Unexpect and Diablo Swing Orchestra.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I'm actually a tremendously huge Lil B fan, but he is the one artist I listed that I know for a fact that the majority of the people spouting and regurgitating his internet memes don't listen to his music except as a joke to show their friends how funny and with it they are. fake based

For me, Colors was the album that really got me to shake a lot of unfair generalizations and assumptions about metal as a genre. I'm still not really a metal aficionado by any means, but when that album came out I just had not heard anything like it in heavy music. I'd heard the genre-jumping before through artists like Frank Zappa and Mike Patton, and I'd heard all the progressive rock and metal concepts before from bands like Dream Theater. I think it's the more modern death metal and hardcore edge to the music in Colors that appeals to me but at the same time it doesn't have any of the super tired tropes and cliches of those genres. I think it's a great crossover album for someone new to more abrasive types of music because the songwriting is really show-offy and in your face with the changes that it actually is more accessible because of all the weird non-metal influences. But like I said, I'm not a metal guy really. I absolutely despised the genre until like 2005 when The Mechanical Hand and Alaska came out. So there's a definite bias there as BTBAM is the band that really got me to appreciate metal period (HORSE doesn't really count imo), songs like Selkies and Mordecai actually inspired genuine emotion, and it helped me to open my heart to the heavier death metal parts eventually.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
man **** you have no idea how i'm upset i am about not including a single John Frusciante album on my list. i feel like i've literally insulted Mr. Frusciante

seriously though, The Empyrean deserves to be very high on my list. thats the problem with lists mannnnnn ****

even Shadows Collide With People needs to be on my list as well...this is what i meant when i said "loaded question"

Hiemie

BRoomer
BRoomer
Some of you guys like some real good albums. Honestly, I don't know if I could pick a top 4 set of albums though.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
man **** you have no idea how i'm upset i am about not including a single John Frusciante album on my list.
Just remake the list dude lol

the site also had a save-to-edit-later option if you happened to use that

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
LT I've gotta agree with ya, these kinds of lists just don't do it for me either. Though things like Album Of The Year lists can exist and still make sense, all time lists have too many variables at play to actually make a solid opinion on them. :c

That being said, I've got at least a few favorites to go on! :awesome:

Underoath - Define The Great Line
Between The Buried And Me - Colors (internet hype aside, this is seriously a fantastic album)
Drop Dead, Gorgeous - Worse Than A Fairy Tale
Funeral For A Friend - Casually Dressed & Deep In Conversation
Tool - Undertow/Aenima (wish I could choose one, but they both are equally amazing to me)
Darkest Hour - Deliver Us (LT, you aren't the only one who loves it :bee:)
Thursday - War All The Time
The Bunny The Bear - If You Don't Have Anything Nice To Say...
Rush - Moving Pictures/Clockwork Angels (new album kicks serious *** and needs mentioning as one of their best, but Moving Pictures will always hold a dear place in my heart)
Follow The White Rabbit- Endorphinia (I can't believe I'd never heard of this band but for a few months ago, they did a fantastic job with this album)
Circle Takes The Square - As The Roots Undo (lyrical genius)

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
wait, Yodery, didn't you say The Taste of Rain... Why Kneel is your favorite hip-hop album?

Implication being it's under MBDTF and Liquid Swords in your list :<

Y

Yodery

wait, Yodery, didn't you say The Taste of Rain... Why Kneel is your favorite hip-hop album?

Implication being it's under MBDTF and Liquid Swords in your list :<
Hmm... true....

I also didn't include any Aphex Twin albums.

This thread sucks all of a sudden. :(

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I was recently introduced to Nujabes so I can't claim to be knowledgeable about his albums other than I like the sound of them. I like both of them equally.
I dunno what you mean by knowledgeable here but I was just sizing up my own view of the two and I thought Metaphorical Music was wayy better. I find myself skipping a lot of tracks on Modal Soul

Hiemie

BRoomer
BRoomer
Slapped together, but seems accurate

See, ElTea was right, I'm already thinking of stuff I wanna fit in somehow, like Entroducing..., and The Seer.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
ilkae <3
blank banshee <3
exmilitary
converge
mondo caine

i had to stop myself from listing any 2012 albums in here otherwise Kendrick's GKMC, Death Grips NO LOVE, Blank Banshee 0, Flylo Till Quiet Comes and Rolo Tomassi Astraea would've been shoe ins

cannedbread

Smash Lord
[COLLAPSE="asdfghjkl;"]
[/COLLAPSE]

decided to crap one out for fun
i don't really agree with it besides the top 4 maybe
the other favorites section i just kind of put there that i do love it but just don't listen to much anymore (stuff like gang of four, animal collective, neutral milk hotel, etc.)
i listen to new stuff very often so i don't really hold onto much music for a long amount of time and i have tons of stuff in my backlog i want to listen to
i'll probably make a new one later
also i hate how i have a bunch of albums by one or so artists but whatever!

Y

Yodery

dat lil ugly mane
dat cap'n jazz
dat dismemberment p-

**** I FORGOT THE D-PLAN **** my life.

Top Bottom