• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your reasons for choosing your main?

TurnOneWrath

Smash Cadet
Well, I've already responded, but I've since changed my main.

I main Lucario because he's awesome. A great set of moves with one of the most broken mechanics in the game (aura) makes him awesome. He's also slow and powerful, like Ganondorf, but actually has a double jump that does more than stop his downward momentum.
I'm still toying around with Lucario, but I just can't discern what is with the love affair with him.
Am I doing something wrong?

GanonkingAbyss

Smash Apprentice
I use ganon since when i first got on wifi i never saw any ganondorfs and i thought i'd be able to be the best ganon since no one else used him, that i knew of, and i continue using him since other ppl want me too and since i have so much experience with him compared to my other mains.

I used snake since no1 in the "little group" i was in used him(although me and a couple others started using him at the same time) and i though i was really horrible with him and wanted to get better.

I use ddd since hes so fun to use and its possible to win against almost anyone, so i wouln't have to cp.

i use kirby since everyone else used kirby and he was really fun.

I use mk since hes really fun to use and because i really liked using him in the first week that i had the game, hes really cool, and hes top tier.

U.K.L.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0061-1001-8130
I play pikachu since smash64 he was s tier my second is yoshi or mk third link if it was not for link recovery he would be upper tier LOL.......no seriously

Agias

Smash Rookie
I main Ness after I listened to the song Smiles and Tears which was in the lost files section of Brawl music. I felt this warm embrace when it hit me and I'm a music lover myself which made the experience so worthwile. After listening to it, I just had this sudden passion to try out the character that this song represented... And now you know. I second Lucas equally because I love his aerials more then Ness', but Ness comes first :)

BlueAuraEX

Smash Cadet
You should see my mains and seconds in my Sig. but if you can't, here they are:

Mains:
Sonic/He's my hero, idol, and my childhood. Also, his moveset is the most interesting of all the other Brawl characters IMO. Requires extreme skill, speed, and strategy.

DK/Like Sonic, DK was also a large part of my upbringing, whilst maybe not as much so as Sonic. His moveset is also highly balanced in speed, skill, strength, and also strategy as it takes good timing to get the most out of his best moves.

Lucario/While carrying no real place in my heart like my last two, Lucario has started to grow on me in both Pokemon, and Smash Bros. alike. His moveset is "extremely" interesting in the fact his strength and abilities are in a constant rate of change. He's the most unique character in Brawl, aside from Sonic, and maybe Olimar.

Secondarys:
Link/Back then, I used to always love naming this guy after myself, before I started naming all my RPG characters "Blue", so of course this guy's gotta be in this list. Also! He's been my Main in Smash Bros. 64, and Melee, so that's an even larger reason! His moveset stays true to how it's always been, though I will not lie, he suffered some major de-buffs. Regardless, I'm willing to keep using him in every Smash game, because I gotta tell ya, this one's a lot a fun to play as!

Mario/He's the one that started it all! He was the very first video-game character I ever knew. No one can take this dude's place, ever! His moveset is the most balanced around, requiring no true skill to master, however to play competitively? That's when he becomes a "truly" interesting character.

Bowser/This last one on my list actually started as just having some funnies with my friends with his hilarious Suicide Grab move, laughter was all around. As time passed, I quickly grew onto him, and have kept playing him ever since. Please note though howver, that out of all the characters I've posted here, this one's the most likely to change, so keep an eye out.

...and that's it! Wow...I sure can type...I probably shouldn't have made a reply "this" long...
Oh well! >=P

BSP

Smash Legend
Sonic, because he has an answer to everything, and really shows how much you know about the game.

swift9

Smash Rookie
I am new to this forum. My favorite was Link in SSBM but Sonic came along in SSBB. The reason why I like Sonic is because he's a animal,my favorite color, and is super fast.

garchompmaster29

Smash Rookie
ssb64: I mained pikachu at first because he is a pokemon. But when i started using him, i started destroying people. I didn't know that he was #1 on the tier list lol.

Seconds: fox, samaus, kiby

ssbm: I mained link at first, but i tried out marth once i unlocked him. Then i realized that he was better than link in sooo many ways (sorry to those link fans, i still love link!). so yeah, marth.

seconds: falco, link, sheik

ssbb: Though i don't play this much, i main marth here as well.

seconds: MK (duh!)

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
I main MK and Pikachu. I actually mained Metaknight because when I bought the game, years ago, I thought he was the worst character ever. I kept commiting suicide and I didn't understand his recovery moves. So I was intent on mastering what I thought, at the time, was the worst character ever. Several years later I find the smashboards and realize that this character does not suck, and I was a noob lol. I alternate MK with Pika all the time. I've played Pikachu since SSB64 and he's just the best Electric Rat that ever lived.

P.S. When I got Brawl, I told my brother that Diddy Kong, Snake, and Metaknight had to be the three worst characters ever created. I think I was wrong lol.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Peach. I loved her ever since the day I first got Melee (or, the first day it was released.) It's so hilarious seeing a cartoony princess knock everyone out of the stage with so much power.

Even though Brawl nerfed her significantly, I still see potential with her. I have faith they'll be a SUPAHAWZUM Peach playahh making her increase on the tier list from 19 to like 15 or somethin' (she should be a little higher right now imo.) She still beats all the other characters down (except... erm, Snake >__>)

I used to main Jigglypuff after I beat Event 51 in Melee so easily with it, but that stopped a little while before Brawl was released. Peach seemed more easier to handle.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I once said i was brought up on videogames. I wasn't lying. It was mostly the classics. I know so many characters from their own games. The vast majority of players i have known and know know :)

That means that i have soft spots for pretty much all of them. I'll give both my favs and my brother's.

Mine are lucas as 1st, lucario as 2nd, and ness as 3rd. I'd have ness as 2nd or first, but from the original SSB his strength, PK thunder push, and CRACK of bat all became different. Still awesome though and play as him when not lucas or lucario. I also love pikachu, and i like marth and ike, simply because they come from the kind of game i'd love. It reminds me a bit of the legend of zelda. Op, that reminds me, my brother loves zelda first, ice climbers as second(well, at least he used to), and the physic kids equally as third. For me, lucario has strong attacks and such, and he looks pretty cool too ;) . Btw, i'd like to see this tier list. Is it a list of rankings of characters? Oh, almost forgot, i really like lucas because i love his PK thunder(i love to sweep the screen with it), he seems like a nice guy, and every single special of his hurts people, while also being able to heal him.

As i said though, i love pretty much all of them.

Btw, someone said something about smiles and tears. I want to hear this. Where is the lost files section of brawl music?

TimeTemporal

Smash Cadet
Lucario is a solid, well rounded character. I like linking single-hit moves together, and Aura Sphere is a great projectile to have. He just clicks with me, really.
Pit and Link are my secondaries. Pit for arial combat, Link 'cause he is fun to play as with all his AT's.

Blarg I'm Dead

Smash Apprentice
Marth. I've liked FE for the difficulty (in most cases) the story depth and how characters related via support convos (again, in most cases). Marth kills dragons, fights pirates and rules the world at the end of FE3. In smash I like how quickly he can move with wavedashes/landings and l-cancels.

Captain Falcon because I never heard of him up till I played 64 at about 10 years old and even then I thought FAlCon....PAWNCH! and "Show me your moves!" were awesome. Now that I've gotten better I like aerial combos and combo character in general. IMO it's more rewarding to improve to a point your can pull off aerial combos without letting your opponent touch the ground or if they do, not have time to shield.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Don't particularly have a main but I guess I can list the ones I do use.

Peach
Fun character to use. Plus the reaction when I beat my friends with her. I used her in Mario Party 1 and 2 along with Wario.

Wario
Always was my favorite character in Mario Party and was my main in Mario Kart 64. I liked his Gameboy games as well. Also the laughs he has make me smile every time.XD

Pikachu
Though I'm not in Pokemon he was my favorite in SSB64 and my cousin loved him and always wanted me to use Pikachu then got good with him and liked him more.

Kirby
Thanks to Kirby Super Star from SNES it is enough said. Was one of my 5 most favorite games from the SNES.

King Dedede
Hilarious and fun character from Kirby 64. Plus that hammer! XD

Mr. Game & Watch
Never played any of his games but he is a fun character to use.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Olimar, 'cause I'm dying to play the Pikmin games, haha. When I picked up Brawl again to have a match against my friend, I tried Olimar and sticked with him since. <3 these Pikmins.
I also main Luigi, pretty much since he's my best character and that up B. (and down B. =P)

BISONKING

Smash Rookie
Kirby and Snake are my definite main/secondary respectively, but the other characters I list kind of depend on who I'm fighting. It pretty much goes like zis:

Kirby - I've used Kirby in N64 since it first came out, then in Melee I stopped using Kirby because I felt he got nerfed loads, but in Brawl I picked him back up and now he's my main again. :D

Snake - I enjoy all of Snake's moves, and I know he's a high tier, but even when I first started playing Brawl I felt like I was pretty good with him so I started to get better and kept on goin'.

Marth - Quick, swords, loved since Melee.
DDD - Actually just started using him, and now I love him. :D
Fox - I tend to use him when fighting Pikachu, because Pikachu's such a ***** when using a projectile-oriented character or a slow char.

Mario Zelda Fan

Smash Apprentice
I chose Lucario because he feels most comfortable with me. I used to main Link but he was holding me back, contrary to many people's opinions that though my Link was better than my Lucario, I honestly didn't think so; I don't even know Link's metagame; I just played around with random moves and combos I invented that work. I'm a little more structured with Lucario.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
As a rule, I only main characters I love from their original gaming series. Still:

Peach: Peach could float in SMB2, so I always used her. Because of that, I always play Peach in every game she appears. There's something way too epic about a cake-obsessed kidnap-prone princess who happens to be a formidable fighter, golfer, tennis player, etc. And she's a really fun and unique character, especially in Brawl. Not that I don't like her Melee self, but I have more fun with current Peach than with overpowered Peach.

Mario: The main character from my favorite gaming series ever, enough said. Also, he's way too "comfortable" to play as, and if there's one character deliberately designed to be balanced, that's Mario. I prefer Dr. Mario in Melee, though, and Luigi in SSB64.

Kirby: I first started maining Kirby late in the Melee days, because somehow I feared Peach not coming back for Brawl. He was absurdly fun in Melee, if also absurdly underpowered, but he's currently my favorite character in that game. In Brawl he's more balanced and useful, and also fun to play as but for different reasons. Also, I love Kirby games.

Jiggs: Pokémon is my 2nd/3rd favorite gaming series ever, I need to main at least one Pokémon character. I loved Jiggs back in 64, not that much in Melee, and now in Brawl I have lots of fun playing her. By now you can say I'm somewhat of a reverse tier wh_re. While I use her just as much as Kirby and Mario, I acknowledge her several limitations. But who cares, I've defeated very good Snakes and I recently 3-stocked a pretty decent Falco. Jiggs owns.

Ness:
I love Earthbound, but it took me ages to like Ness in his Smash form. I never found him particularly fun in 64 and Melee, but now I love him in Brawl. Oddly enough, now I can use him decently in 64.

Pokémon Trainer:
Way too epic, great concept. As mentioned before, I love Pokémon. Squirtle alone would probably be my secondary, and I also love Ivysaur. Charizard is okay too, but he's my least favorite. Probably because my Charizard sucks.

Luigi:
My original SSB64 main. I dropped him in Melee, but use it in Brawl too. He's way too fun and I do pretty good against characters like Snake and DK.

BISONKING

Smash Rookie
I just changed my main from just Kirby to Kirby/DDD. It's a really good balance of speed and power for me.

I feel sort of silly for having two out of the three Kirby characters as my mains, but that's who I'm best with. :p

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
Jiggs because I won one Wi-Fi match, and thought I was pretty good. I could barely win against my brother, so I looked on combo videos and stradegies, and soon improved my Jigglypuff so much, he became my main.

TeitiTT

Smash Rookie
SSBM: Mewtwo because I just saw Raj playing...

SSBB: Diddy Kong: I wanted him in SSBM and now he's here!
MK: ...

SpliziT

Smash Cadet
My main is Fox and I main him because in my eyes he has very few flaws and can hang with most top tier characters. He only has 3 really bad matchups which are IC's Pikachu and Sheik but they aren't really common characters. I also think he is the most exciting to play with his amazing speed and I love lazering. It just builds my adrenaline playing with him.

KMFBrawler

Smash Journeyman
Mario: When I was seven I got my 1dt game ever: Melee. I played with all the chars and I found Mario's F-Air to be the collest move ever. That's how I became a Mario mainer (and fan).

Snake: After a little experimenting with Snake, I knew he had to be my secundairy character. Snake's options are endless.

Phoxhound

Smash Cadet
Baltimore, MD (in a worm hole during summers)
3DS FC
2707-1679-3227
just playing hundreds of random matches with my friends...I came across lucario first and loved the momentum cancel dair as well as his ability to get little aerial combos. still my secondary.

after a while I just went back to playing randoms until I stumbled across G&W...twas a match made in heaven.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
my main is fox, he's good in a 1- on 1 match and whose get tired of hearing LANDMASTER!!!!!! (wolf and falco only exception)

B Link

Smash Lord
My friend mains snake cuz he's too good.

I main'd link until I got pwned by his snake, so then I tried snake, won against him, and now I main snake >_>

Top Bottom