• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your reasons for choosing your main?

Dan Goodine

Smash Rookie
I picked Link because first in foremost I loved taking place in his game, especially in Majoras Mask and Links Awakening. I also picked him because despite what people might think, he has many diverse moves and combos to master, and I like that sort of challenge in a character, it gives a much more refreshing experience in gameplay.

Smash Rookie
Wow, I have a long story concerning this...

I first played Melee at a my neighbor's house. I had no idea back then how to do anything.... He said I should main Captain Falcon, so I did. He mained Mario and we thought we were so great since we could beat LEVEL 9s by spamming fsmashes.

Haha we were fails. Btw, he told me I should pick up G-Dorf as a second since he was like the same as the Captain. So I did.

Later, he got a Wii and Brawl. At first, I really disliked Brawl because it was slow. I still, in fact, prefer Melee (oh snap, I just admitted that on the Brawl boards...)

Anyway, he gave me his Gamecube. I got my own copy of Melee and mained Falcon still for a few months. Later soon, though, I discovered SWF (this was still years before I joined though) and SmashWiki, and thought I would be awesome if I mained a top tier, so I naturally picked up Fox with Sheik as a second. Even later, I learned Marth, and until a few months ago, he was my Melee main.

Still later, this spring? I joined SWF. Here, I was advised to pick up Falco, which I did. (btw through this time ICs were another Melee second of mine).

This July, I got a Wii and Brawl, which I decided maybe wasn't so bad. I was unsure who to pick up there. Falco felt too different, Marth I was never comfortable with in Brawl, and Sheik... Well, you get the point.

I ended up picking up PT, because I like variety in characters and, the ultimate noob character, Ike, because he's very powerful and awesome and stuff.

I played these two for like a month. A couple weeks ago, I dropped both of them along with my Melee mains. I felt like I needed a new beginning, so, at this point, I have no main. I'm taking a serious look at Mario, who has always been one of my strongest characters, and I'm also considering the inadvisable main of random, and the jack-of-all-trades role.

Rant finished.

jonathan123

Smash Rookie
My main is Snake

First my main was Ike but he is good when r 4 players, in 1vs1 is very predictible. And I tried to find other character, when I try to fight with Snake really I feel like he was the chosen one and It is xD ... my little story :D

Nik21

Smash Cadet
my main has gone from lucas to falco to pikachu to wolf to pit and even back to lucas. So i decided to find one or two characters that I hadn't tried much before to get a fresh start. So right now I'm trying to main Diddy and my secondaries would be Lucas and Pit. I'm also taking a look at Wario too though. But I think i'll try to stick to this i don't know I can't make up my ****ing mind.

gcubedude

Smash Apprentice
When Brawl first came out, I mained Ike because I had played Path of Radiance, the Fire Emblem he was from, and he was so awesome in that game, I had to play as him in Brawl. I also remember trying to play as my Melee faves, like Fox and DK, but they were so different, I just stuck with Ike.

Nowadays, I main Snake because I enjoy his playstyle, but I only use him for competitive play, or team battles, since he's my best supporter. In free play, I use others characters like Bowser, Ganon, Ike, etc.

-VEGA-

Smash Rookie
My main is Snake.
and just by saying that statement, people would automatically assume that Im a "tier wh*re". when Im not.
When I first played Brawl I was never aware about tier list, So basically I chose characters that appeal to me, and obviously it was Snake.

I main him simply because he suits my play style "playing smart". and thats what Snakes all about, you have to know how to do mind games with him.

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman
Mained Lucas to begin with, because I used to play Ness in SSB (never bought a GC, so never played Melee), but Ness felt really weird when I played him in Brawl, and Lucas didn't so I stuck with him.

Eventually quit because I got bored, now I'm trying to learn Pikachu because he's loads of fun and quick attack looks cool. He's pretty cute as well.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
I've played Ness ever since the first Smash, and I love Mother.

Buuuuut I love the Sonic series even more. And Sonic's got so much mindgame appeal, he's so fun. <3

jewstrike

Smash Rookie
I main Ness now because I used to hate him. I couldn't find a char I was confortable with in brawl until I stopped avoiding ness. He stuck ever since. Secondary? pikachu. Favorite pokemon and part of my actual team. UU ftw.

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
Jigglypuff was my main in Brawl for quite a long time, but she irritated the **** out of me with her limited gameplay style. I chose her since I like cute things and I was a fan of her since she appeared on Pokemon.

Now it's Peach, since I like playing girly characters.

PD4FR

Smash Ace
I couldn't resist the dark lord. Dair to tipman is too fun to pass up, especially when you follow it up with another down air. :ganondorf:

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
Bowser, and forever will be Bowser. Cause Ganondorf aside, he is the ultimate underdog, and nobody respects him.

"Never knock a Bowser player until you see how they play!"

Darkrai Lv.1000

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1934-0668-8939
Bowser, and forever will be Bowser. Cause Ganondorf aside, he is the ultimate underdog, and nobody respects him.

"Never knock a Bowser player until you see how they play!"
Bowser's one of my mains too. :D

I started maining Luigi during Melee, when I started to like him more than Mario, and I guess he kinda stuck with me. (Fun fact: I also use Luigi in every game he's playable in)
If u ever see a taunting/****** Fire Luigi on With Anyone, it's most likely me. XD

in the right hands, Luigi is beast. :)

other mains: Bowser, Lucario, Pikachu, Lucas, Falcon

other other mains: i'm pretty much maining over half the roster.

keep in mind that my "other other mains" are really just characters i can use pretty well, but not as good as Luigi. XD

Ike900

Smash Rookie
My mains are Ike, and (Toon)Link.

I like Ike because he can hurt like a mother f***er.

The Links are also good because they are both melee and long range fighters.

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
Getting a banana chucked at my face. WHISTLE!!
I like to main Olimar and Ness, I've never really played any of their games, but in brawl I love how disjointed most of their moves are, also before I started playing brawl competitively I mained lucas, then I realized how bad he was compared to ness and started maining him instead. I used to think olimar sucked, but when I really started playing him I realized that he is pure ownage as a character and there aren't too many weaknesses to him.

JRC LSS

Smash Apprentice
At first I would just play as random and then I thought, "if I'm going to get good at this, I need to train with a good character." So I looked at the first tier list I could find (an early, uncredible one) and I saw Snake at the top. I then looked up a strategy guide on gamefaqs and he seemed like a character I'd want to get good with. So I'll admit, I chose my main partly because of tiers. I have a lot of secondaries though, including ganondorf.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I main Yoshi because Yoshi gives me the best chance to win for my playstyle. It's fun playing brawl when your competitive (or any game for that matter). Yoshi's island was also one of my favorite games for SNES. His moveset is basically based off that game. The ground pound was a genious move to give Yoshi along with the egg toss. In Super Mario World Yoshi was an awsome crutch for Mario when it came to eating blue shells and flying across the stage. Without Yoshi Super Mario World would have been a lot harder for me growing up.

Quandooo

Smash Rookie
I first never knew that tier lists existed back then when I chose my mains...

when I first started brawl I played as Toon link, cause his recovery is pretty good and his projectiles rack up damage easily without any danger, (points at Boomerang),
I managed to get pretty decent at toon link but I always LOVED spiking, but yeah I suck at it ;p, so when I was trying to show my awesomeness at my friends by spiking them with Dair, I failed 90% of the time which was pretty yeah.. sucky... xd

I went playing Lucas cause his hair is awesome, just PLAIN awesome ^^, I liked ness back then in SSBM but now that Lucas is in the game I like Lucas more. I love his Dsmash because many people side roll out of my smashed (duhh obvious >-<). oh, and I just LOVE his Bair ^^, it's so cool when you spike someone with that, i'm practicing that alot now and pulled it off in some matches, but still need to get the right timing :)

now Lucas just sticks to me so perfect, I don'care that he's low - tier, for me he's awesome :)

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Well...i started off playing with marth, a ****ty, f-tilt spamming no defense marth.
then..i tried metaknight. LOL i thought i was so good

and then...

it was indeed a pink revelation
i don't know why..he just seemed fun.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
I like to main Olimar and Ness, I've never really played any of their games, but in brawl I love how disjointed most of their moves are, also before I started playing brawl competitively I mained lucas, then I realized how bad he was compared to ness and started maining him instead. I used to think olimar sucked, but when I really started playing him I realized that he is pure ownage as a character and there aren't too many weaknesses to him.
Are you me?

Mith8

Smash Cadet
NOBODY PAYS ATTENTION TO WEEGEE!

Luigi is just such a character. He has quite a few nice match-ups (Olimar) and when I play tourneys some players actually get ***** because they never practice the weegee matchup.

LordAizen

Smash Journeyman
When my friend brought over Super Smash bros melee he told me I'd like it so we played it and when I saw Mewtwo I'm like "OMG" and I kept using Mewtwo because I thought he was a total Bad@ss. He told me Marth and Roy were these two awesome swordmen that were really strong and I played as one of them(I think I used Roy, I can't remember) and I ended up liking both of them. However that was my only time I played Melee up until last year when I actually got it.

When I got Brawl, I immediately mained Marth because he was the only one left from Melee of the three that I really liked. I think i'm a pretty decent Marth but I stopped using Marth in Brawl because I hate his new look and I main Marth(Along with Mewtwo :) ) in Melee. When I first saw Meta Knight I'm like OMG HE'S BAD@SS since he's pretty much the Vegeta from Kirby so I definately liked him and even though he's overpowerd I use him every now and then just because I like him. However recently I went to my friend's house and he switced Items on and there was a banana so I had him Banana locked and i'm like "this is fun" so then I found out Diddy Kong uses Nanas so I'm thinking about Maining Diddy kong, not to mention he takes skill and I prefer to use characters that take skill.

After I bought brawl I also brought Melee and that's the game I play more. I constantly switch Between Marth and Mewtwo even though I'm obviously better with Marth. I think i'll stick with Marth until I master the game and go back to using Mewtwo afterwards.

zerosuit wario

Smash Rookie
Metroid is my favorite series so I main Samus in all the games :D I main zss in brawl and samus as a secondary

Kiru

Smash Cadet
I have never heard of Fire Emblem when I started playing marth in melee. I just liked how basic of a sword fighter he is. I now own a few fire emblem games. :D

lutteurdepkmn

Smash Cadet
upenn campus, philly brawl fc: 2622-9290-5599
my first main was DK back in 64, never played melee, didnt like the changes of DK searched helplessly for a long time for a new main and now im happy to say after hours of playing im an adequate
Diddy Kong and toon link, up and coming lucas and dedede
i choose these characters for there speed (except dedede i just like his chain grabs) and there fast aerials, but most of all : nothing satisfies me more than a premature death via spike.

-Ghost-

Smash Apprentice
In melee I used Fox as my main because I loved the fact that he had speed... AND incredible kill power. even though I was a noob then and my best friend kicked my a** all the time with Doctor Mario. I was so excited to see Fox's return in brawl and, also, how awesome his new costume was. But then I unlocked Wolf... I tried him once and NEVER went back. I felt completely adept to his fighting style. Not only that, but I loved StarFox Assault and Wolf is a major bada** which made me feel a bond with this character.

Lastly, before I picked up Wolf I sucked a** at this game; all I needed was that right character. Ever since, I've been stepping up my game and once I learn my matchups a little better I can call myself a pro.

(Dont have a secondary yet... I like all the bada** characters like Bowser, Ganon, Wario, etc.... might end up being one of them...)

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
In melee I used Fox as my main because I loved the fact that he had speed... AND incredible kill power. even though I was a noob then and my best friend kicked my a** all the time with Doctor Mario. I was so excited to see Fox's return in brawl and, also, how awesome his new costume was. But then I unlocked Wolf... I tried him once and NEVER went back. I felt completely adept to his fighting style. Not only that, but I loved StarFox Assault and Wolf is a major bada** which made me feel a bond with this character.

Lastly, before I picked up Wolf I sucked a** at this game; all I needed was that right character. Ever since, I've been stepping up my game and once I learn my matchups a little better I can call myself a pro.

(Dont have a secondary yet... I like all the bada** characters like Bowser, Ganon, Wario, etc.... might end up being one of them...)
There's something that peeves me about the Star Fox games.. It seems that the character designs for everyone change in EVERY single game. Fox goes through dramatic physical changes in the transitions from 64 to Adventures to Assault. I even think Wolf had an eye patch in the 64. o_o

-Ghost-

Smash Apprentice
There's something that peeves me about the Star Fox games.. It seems that the character designs for everyone change in EVERY single game. Fox goes through dramatic physical changes in the transitions from 64 to Adventures to Assault. I even think Wolf had an eye patch in the 64. o_o
Yea u never see the same Fox in any of the starfox games. And Wolf DID have an eyepatch in 64. He still has it now but it's all teched out. (Kind of looks like a scouter)

Darkshooter

Smash Ace
Melee: :popo: Because Popo and Nana are stright A BAMF's.
:drmario: Because he is pretty much a clone of the most recognisable character in the world. That, and when it come to playing as him, I think of Shroomed and Bob$.
:peach: She's impossibly pretty, and is kick ***. Thanks Armada for getting me into her! Many props go to Pink Shinobi as well.

Brawl:
:diddy: Becuase he's cool like that. Plus Im kinda really intrested in him at the moment.

The Lupus Diabolus

Smash Rookie
My mains are Pit, Lucario, and Kirby.

I tried Pit because i heard he was insanely fun to play, and i love multi jumps

I played Lucario because he was my favorite Pokemon

And i currently play Kirby because he is now my favorite character, and the cutest thing ever to exist
with the release of Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Cello16

Smash Rookie
I have a lot of reasons for having kirby as my main...

1. Nostalgia, i've been using kirby since SSB

2. He has very good recovery

3. His ability to copy

4. His attacks final cutter, stone, and hammer are pretty powerful when they hit

5. kirby is probably one of my favorite characters outside of brawl in general :)

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
Pit: Arrows kills. 'nuff said

MK: I can friggin win!

Ike: Travis Touchdown texture + having my opponent scream WTF!!!!!! after I kill them with fsmashes. Only in FFA's of course.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Primary Main
---------------
R.O.B.: I like the way he looks. He's got that innocent cuteness to him. Also, I liked using him in Mario Kart DS. Thirdly, his easygoing speed, floaty jums (though can be a liability) and versatile range and projectiles feels so natural to me. He's also the only character based off an inanimate object peripheral than an actual video game character.

Secondary Mains
--------------------
Peach: For starters, Peach is hella smexy. Yeah, there's Daisy, Samus, Zelda and others, but Peach stands out to me (Rosalina tieing with her. XD). Also, Peach was my primary main back when I used to play Melee. Sure, she suffered some nerfings, including a shorter second jump and a nigh useless Dsmash, but her playstyle has remained much the same. The fact she gained Glide Tossing is a plus. She's not the best Glide Tosser by any means, but she is the most consistent. I also like her new voice; it doesn't sound annoying like it did in Melee, and her side taunt is funny and oh-so spammable. XD

Ganondorf: My favorite Nintendo antagonist, he was my secondary Melee main. Unfortunately, he suffered the most during the transition from Melee to Brawl, but as the king of all evil, he still has that awesome factor. The fact they used his Twilight Princess design made it even better. He may be at the bottom of the tier list, but his playstyle is fun and his beard alone can kick many an a** to and fro. Also, winning a match with him in the flashiest way possible is just so rewarding.

King Dedede: I've always liked Dedede's character. The fact his playstyle is catered towards the defensive works hand-in-hand with how I prefer to play. Plus, he's a fat penguin. XD

That's all for that really. Hopefully, I'll have other sub-mains. Until then, those are my characters. ^ω^

just86

Smash Rookie
:falcon:: He felt the best to me in SB64 and he hasn't stopped feeling right. The combination of speed and power fits me well

:bowser2:: Klaw hopping is cool and he breathes fire. What more could you possibly want :awesome:

:dedede:: I like heavy characters and I like floaty characters. Also, he's a pervert who loves to grab everyone.

:random:: I still like to use everyone in the game, so I also like to go random.

Top Bottom