• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Westminster, May 5th Biweekly

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Socal is like... gonna **** **** Vegas. Put some massive handicaps on please. :)

*happy panda smiley*

Charoo

Smash Champion
i remember fighting ken once, and i was doing good. Then, Ken said bankai and I die.

edit: Yakiniku or Korean bbq after so cal vs Vegas biweekly =)

zeta

Smash Journeyman

Vicko

Smash Journeyman
I don't get it

but ya its ok, i really try and focus on other chars but when it comes down to it I guess peach is my best, even though that doesn't really say a lot haha
I thought you moved to AU or something? I read that somewhere...

evans head is full of air he knows i spanked him, but I know they won't let him on the crew to prove himself :)

I kid, I kid

Hey evan maybe I'll bring manny, then you guys will really be scared haha

Arash

Smash Lord
danny is gonna steamroll right through socal, and they'll be like "WTF mate?"

but whatever happens, i'm sure it'll be fun:)

Vicko

Smash Journeyman
so is this going to be a suprise or do we get to find out beforehand what the crew is we're going to fight?

also as zeta asked what is the format, can we have more than 1 of the same character? how many stages and what is the policy on picking the stage?

nublet06

Smash Lord
Well im pretty sure everyone agrees that hugs be the captain. but having hugs on there might not be fair since he is so ownage. so once hugs finds out we can have him pick a crew that he will be part of......or he can decide to not play and pick someone else.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
i want to bring this up

Vicko,
dont forget that we are allowing you guys from vegas to be here at our house. Vicko i personally dont want to hear you complaining after our bi weekly again about how our bi weeklies arent on the grand scale of mlg, etc etc. I'm not going to let any smasher use our internet which is a given. So dont come to me and expect to use it. I state the rules as before on how i want people to respect my house. So im allowing vegas to come to this bi weekly to challenge so cal etc.

If you plan on talking crap, say it to the players, but do not direct it towards us and our bi weekly. Remember this happened once before so i just wanted to tell you let's not let it happen again.

Also as for hugs, being captain, i personally dont care who is captain, if so cal picks 5 guys who they think are soooo good to beat vegas and end up losing im just going to laugh my *** off. Note, just because players in so cal are good against so cal players doesnt mean they are good against other players from other states. Whoever you choose to represent so cal reflects on how everyone views us as an overall. If the 5 players you select loses to vegas, i dont want to hear johns from palmdale, superfriends, deepsocal, or any other crew in so cal.

Good example, when hugs fought king at champ combo. Match up matters. Also i want to point out the fact that people from each crew wants their players to play so this idea of selecting 5 already is just a waste of time. Imo, players with the most experience outside of cali has a greater chance but ill let so cal decide on this one and watch the outcome.

I dont care if you want me to play or not either. If hugs is captain so be it. No matter who he picks theres going to be *****ing. Also since hes taking all the blame already which i dont mind ill be waiting to see who he chooses thats if he FINALLY DECIDES TO SHOW TO THIS BI WEEKLY.

nublet06

Smash Lord
well no1 seems to come up with an official idea so ill throw something out there.

1 person from each major crew

OC2 staff
superfriends
deep socal
palmdale
sesame street kings.

Those are the top 5 crews that make up socal and they all contian its top players. 1 from each crew sound fair? the crews cant complain because they will be able to send whoever they want...and root for them. and since vegas has 2 falcos (supposedly) we cant really do the character limit thing.

anyone oopose to the idea?

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I oppose the idea. (lol sorry man but i do) I think we should look at

(1) Talent Level
(2) Experience, including out of region
(3) Consistency
(4) Character Matchups

And then decide. There is definately plenty if (1) from each crew and plenty of it, but setting a criteria to selecting one person from each crew is not setting yourself up to really win. However most likely, 4 or so crews will probably be represented anyway.

nublet06

Smash Lord
lol but like....if we picked the best player from each crew...i think it would be a blow out. and thats not even including hugs or ken.

there are not any clear best players but lets say its.

Wolf, manacloud, edrees, romeo, BoA. do you really think we would be setting up to lose?

Charoo

Smash Champion
if the crew format is like the past crews matches we had there, it's:

5v5 20 stock, 4 stock per person

final destination
dreamland 64
Pokemon stadium

random stages every time. Characters are decided before battle. The rest should be basic stuff

Aesis

Smash Ace
if the crew format is like the past crews matches we had there, it's:

5v5 20 stock, 4 stock per person

final destination
dreamland 64
Pokemon stadium

random stages every time. Characters are decided before battle. The rest should be basic stuff
All those stages favor Fox :( cept maybe Dreamland, but even then... bleh

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
I would definately be down to be crew captain.

Thing is, I dont know what my work schedule is for that weekend yet. If anything I think I will be able to make it to the crew battle if it is held after singles, at least.

I'll do my best to make it.

As for who I would pick, I would need to do more research on who's actually playing from vegas.

My guess is cloudsquall, vicko, Zeta, and I'm not sure who else they would include. Could you guys fill us in on who is attending? Or would you want to keep it a secret and have me pick 5 guys without knowing? Or did you guys already post it and I just haven't seen it yet?

Also, I would include myself in the crew battle, if that's alright.

And thank you manacloud for thinking so highly of our socal players' skill. You are right though, experience in stressful situations is very important, but to say you will laugh if we lose... hmm.

I'll start thinking up a team.

Another thing, I'm not really looking into including all regions/crews. I'm mainly focused on creating a team that would win, and if it happens to include all crews, cool, if not, i apoligize. I will do my best to keep it diverse though, not so much to please everyone, but because I DO think that different players from different crews bring different benefits to the table.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
lol

I would definately be down to be crew captain.

Thing is, I dont know what my work schedule is for that weekend yet. If anything I think I will be able to make it to the crew battle if it is held after singles, at least.

I'll do my best to make it.

As for who I would pick, I would need to do more research on who's actually playing from vegas.

My guess is cloudsquall, vicko, Zeta, and I'm not sure who else they would include. Could you guys fill us in on who is attending? Or would you want to keep it a secret and have me pick 5 guys without knowing? Or did you guys already post it and I just haven't seen it yet?

Also, I would include myself in the crew battle, if that's alright.

And thank you manacloud for thinking so highly of our socal players' skill. You are right though, experience in stressful situations is very important, but to say you will laugh if we lose... hmm.

I'll start thinking up a team.

Another thing, I'm not really looking into including all regions/crews. I'm mainly focused on creating a team that would win, and if it happens to include all crews, cool, if not, i apoligize. I will do my best to keep it diverse though, not so much to please everyone, but because I DO think that different players from different crews bring different benefits to the table.
i dont doubt so cal players skills within so cal, however, i do doubt them when outside competition comes. Its a whole new ball game hugo, u know so better than i do that most so cal players dont travel. Outside experience in this cases matter a whole lot when players cannot adapt to new skills, thus why i laugh if you happen to choose players who you think are valuable who fail to defeat the opposition. Like i said we will see what happens =).

Vicko

Smash Journeyman
Vicko,
dont forget that we are allowing you guys from vegas to be here at our house. Vicko i personally dont want to hear you complaining after our bi weekly again about how our bi weeklies arent on the grand scale of mlg, etc etc. I'm not going to let any smasher use our internet which is a given. So dont come to me and expect to use it. I state the rules as before on how i want people to respect my house. So im allowing vegas to come to this bi weekly to challenge so cal etc.

If you plan on talking crap, say it to the players, but do not direct it towards us and our bi weekly. Remember this happened once before so i just wanted to tell you let's not let it happen again.
Let me be the first to say that yes, I was wrong in how i reacted while I was at your tournament. It just threw me off how the "bye" situation was handled but that was my problem with being in the middle of a conversation that I wasn't part of, and that I wasn't listening to from the beginning. For that, Mike, I apologize. I didn't mean to offend you or talk crap about your tournament or your generosity for letting people into your home. I completely understand where you're coming from and I have a friend like that as well, so I am used to it.

What I said on the board however is a different story. I was mad at the way that I was treated. I was the only one to feel this way and no one else felt offended like I did. This is something that happened 2/3 years ago and I'm not the type to hold grudges. If this is something you're willing to sort out with me on a personal level then I would much appreciate it. I don't feel comfortable sharing stuff like that out in the open especially in an environment where i know maybe 10 people total out of this thread and 2 live/lived in vegas haha. I'm not trying to call you out, or yell or scream, demean, degrade or anything. I just want to have an exchange of words since we don't know what each other is thinking and I want to be welcomed into your home instead of show up with a bad impression about me before I even walk in.

Mike, you can reach me on AIM at vivovicko.

I look forward to your IM. I'm always available

manacloud1

Smash Champion
glad to hear then

Let me be the first to say that yes, I was wrong in how i reacted while I was at your tournament. It just threw me off how the "bye" situation was handled but that was my problem with being in the middle of a conversation that I wasn't part of, and that I wasn't listening to from the beginning. For that, Mike, I apologize. I didn't mean to offend you or talk crap about your tournament or your generosity for letting people into your home. I completely understand where you're coming from and I have a friend like that as well, so I am used to it.

What I said on the board however is a different story. I was mad at the way that I was treated. I was the only one to feel this way and no one else felt offended like I did. This is something that happened 2/3 years ago and I'm not the type to hold grudges. If this is something you're willing to sort out with me on a personal level then I would much appreciate it. I don't feel comfortable sharing stuff like that out in the open especially in an environment where i know maybe 10 people total out of this thread and 2 live/lived in vegas haha. I'm not trying to call you out, or yell or scream, demean, degrade or anything. I just want to have an exchange of words since we don't know what each other is thinking and I want to be welcomed into your home instead of show up with a bad impression about me before I even walk in.

Mike, you can reach me on AIM at vivovicko.

I look forward to your IM. I'm always available
well i just wanted to solve that issue. Now that its out of the way i dont mind vegas players attending this bi weekly. So everythings good. See you there.

HugS

Smash Champion
i dont doubt so cal players skills within so cal, however, i do doubt them when outside competition comes. Its a whole new ball game hugo, u know so better than i do that most so cal players dont travel. Outside experience in this cases matter a whole lot when players cannot adapt to new skills, thus why i laugh if you happen to choose players who you think are valuable who fail to defeat the opposition. Like i said we will see what happens =).
K fair enough, as long as it is cool that I laugh at you if we win with the players I choose. :) ;)

emerican

Smash Ace
I dont get why everyone is so worried about socal... i mean, they're from vegas, im sure they dont travel the world and play smash so they have their style and we have ours... in the end it comes down to who's a better/smarter player, and if socal puts up good fights against ken, mana, chu or other of staters like AZ, we'll be fine...

its just a game, smarter/better players arnt going to be thrown off as easily as "oh ****, hes from vegas?!? SUICIDE!!!!!"

Now, before someone throws the "different styles counter" card... out of stater's are in the same position. they have their style, we have ours... some of their styles might do better on us and some of ours will **** them back. ...Thats smash..

Also, some of you make it sound like, if you travel the world and know every style, that your immune to F-smash or something stupid like that, lol... (((NO ONE))) in this game is unbeatable.

GL HF, no RM.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I'm going to give a good example here. We have champ here in socal, who spams random up tilts (too good) , and against an out of stater, they work EXCEPTIONALLY well. They are incredibly less effective in socal because everyone is a heck of lot more used to up tilts, and foxes who see Champ use up tilt might realize that it's quite a **** move and incorprate it some into their game.

A smarter player will adapt and react yes, but this is just an example of how regions can alter the result of the match, because of the fact that he HAS to react and adapt to something new, rather than adapting and reacting to strategies he's seen before. There's a difference between being smart and handling tactics you've seen before , and being smart and handling a completely different playstyle you are very unfamiliar with. It's two different skillsets IMO.

HugS

Smash Champion
I dont get why everyone is so worried about socal... i mean, they're from vegas, im sure they dont travel the world and play smash so they have their style and we have ours... in the end it comes down to who's a better/smarter player, and if socal puts up good fights against ken, mana, chu or other of staters like AZ, we'll be fine...

its just a game, smarter/better players arnt going to be thrown off as easily as "oh ****, hes from vegas?!? SUICIDE!!!!!"

Now, before someone throws the "different styles counter" card... out of stater's are in the same position. they have their style, we have ours... some of their styles might do better on us and some of ours will **** them back. ...Thats smash..

Also, some of you make it sound like, if you travel the world and know every style, that your immune to F-smash or something stupid like that, lol... (((NO ONE))) in this game is unbeatable.

GL HF, no RM.
Someone has never played Cloudsquall before...

You are right, socal is extremely skilled.
You are also right in saying that socal is as unsure of their style as Vegas is of ours, but if we have a team of experienced players that have traveled enough to already have gotten a sense of their style, it'd be a clear advantage.

However, I think our players' skill makes up for any lack of oos experience. Not to mention the fact that I will be focused on putting people into the right match ups.

No matter what though, I don't take vegas lightly, so I'm playing it as if it were the east coast. :)

Vicko

Smash Journeyman
Hey Mana/Ken just a general question
a few fans of us Vegas players want to come and show support.
If they pay entry for the biweekly will they be allowed in?
Of course they will get the rundown of the rules and how they must behave, they will all most likely play in the tournament as well.
Think of it as free money for you guys haha.

Also as far as the 5v5, would you consider a larger crew battle? just a question thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom