• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

West Japan's Battle Roads Tournament Report June 19th, 2010

Vayseth

Smash Master
The following is not just results, it's a tournament report. I'm sure a lot of you are curious about how things work in Japan and I'm going to be kind of detailed in explaining everything that went down so you get an idea of what it's like to have a tournament in Japan. It's completely different. VERRRRY different.

This tournament was held in Osaka prefecture about 20 minutes from the north entertainment district "Umeda." Osaka has a lot of good players and collected people from all over (including Nagoya) for this West Japan Ranking tournament. Unfortunately no one from Tokyo came and only one person attending APEX was in attendance but it was certainly an interesting experience, to say the least.

This tournament was held all day on June 19th while Melee was held all day the following day. I didn't attend the melee tournament nor do I know who went or who won which is why this is just Brawl results.

They had 18 set ups in one room with signs on the TVs clearly marked "Tournament Use" or "For Friendlies" which could easily be flipped over if a station was needed for tournament matches or wasn't needed. Very cool idea. The room didn't feel too big or too small, it was just right.

Cultural note: It's not very common for people to just go over people's houses in Japan to play games. There's a cultural responsibility to bring gifts and stuff so that's why games on console only aren't as big as arcade scenes. That being said, the smash community here also has smashfests but they're not held very often unless they're between friends easily within reach of each other. Therefore, there would be multiple breaks in the tournament allowing for hours of friendlies to be had. It was like a smashfest+tournament. Interesting environment. It really relaxed me and there wasn't as much pressure as I'd feel in a US tournament. That's also because no money was on the line. There was a $5 venue fee but putting money down on yourself to win is considered gambling and very illegal in Japan. No video game tournaments give the winners cash, maybe prizes, but that is also very rare. Winners here receive pride only. There's no monetary gain for being the best at smash like there is in other places. So the environment is much more relaxed and it was fun hanging out with everyone. It's amazing to see that such good players exist and play regularly even if they don't get anything for winning.

The event only had two tournaments, low tier and regular singles. There was just over 50 people in attendance and the numbers went up just a little bit when the main tournament got started.

First thing you all should know is the rules are COMPLETELY different. For low tier the playable characters were:

• Mario
  • Luigi
  • Bowser
  • Yoshi
  • Link
  • Zelda
  • Ganondorf
  • Samus
  • Falcon
  • PT
  • Jigglypuff
  • Ness
  • Lucas
  • Sonic

The tournament was random seeding (we pulled cards which placed us in the bracket randomly), 2 stock, 6 min, 1 match, single elimination and battlefield only. Also, you had to choose your character and stick with it for the entire tournament upon registration (low tier only).

It was a lot of fun but Earth came out on top very easily. His hardest match seemed to be against Smasher, who is from the same city as him. Smasher's Link is insane. However, after a close set with Smasher Earth proceeded to not lose a single stock against Alice to take the top spot. Here are your top 4:

1. Earth (Zelda)
2. Alice (Ganondorf)
3. Smasher (Link)
3. 9B (Luigi)

Now on to the real tournament.

The real tournament rules were nothing like I'd ever experienced before. First we were all broken up into pools but no one was eliminated. The rules for pools were 3 stock, 10 minutes, FD only. 1 match only.

What pools did was seed people, but in a strange way. 1st and 2nd seeds got automatically sent to round 3 of the tournament, 3rd and 4th seeds got seeded in the 2nd round and the rest were sent to the first round. Seeing as this was a single elimination tournament, pools mattered, and since you could only play each person once, every single match mattered.

I got last seed. I play DDD and only DDD. After people knew that, they counterpicked me like mad and DDD's worst match ups on FD just get even worse. There was really nothing I could do. I got close a couple times but really I knew I wasn't winning anything under these conditions.

The real tournament started soon after where we were segregated into groups based on our seeding. I played a 4th seed first and the other people in our bracket were behind us waiting for us to finish. It actually went very smoothly.

The actual tournament was best 2/3, single elimination, 3 stock, 10 minutes. Stages you could pick included FD, BF and Smashville ONLY. However, like pools, FD was guaranteed first match. Counter picking system from then on was exactly like ours. Loser picks stage (any stage of the 3 was fine, no restrictions, no bans), winner picks character, loser picks character. However, even if you won the second match, you could be easily taken back to FD no problem.

I played an MK in brackets, did really well on FD but lost. Took him to BF, did well again, but lost. Didn't win a single match the whole tournament. I was surprised because I did really well in friendlies against everyone but when it came time for the tournament, I was just CP'd and forced to play on FD, making things really hard. I learned I need to learn a new character that can perform well on FD because that's the only way you're going to survive in these tournaments.

Oh, yeah, and one more thing. Yes, they had the rule where if there's a time out the person in the air longest loses, not stock or percent. Honestly, I never saw a time out so I never saw that come into play but they play 10 minute matches as well. They're given much more time but I didn't see camping as a viable strategy. See? When money's not on the line people tend to actually play and not camp. You have to realize before some of you guys go thinking these rules are awesome and that you should use them REMEMBER: Japanese people don't play for money. They CAN'T play for money. Their rules are made around this fact and if someone were to run out time (which I seriously doubt) they have rules for that but because there's nothing to gain for winning besides pride, they can have these types of rules. I don't think they'd work in the states, at all. I'm actually also fairly confident that unless the Japanese practice American rules, they're going to be shocked when they go to APEX in August.

Anyway, I had to bug out early but I said goodbye to the host 9B (pronounced Q-Bee, like Kyuubi from Naruto) who said he'd invite me to a smash fest if there was one and the tournament next month. Until then, I've got to learn someone who can perform well on FD because otherwise I don't think I'll win. These rules seriously change the tiers IMO and I've got to find another way to win. However, 9B hooked me up with the results:

1. Nagahari (Diddy, Falco)
2. Kuroan (Snake)
3. Miyacchi (ICs)
4. Isotaku (DDD, ???)

The ICs player was in my pool and he was alright but I don't think he's anywhere near lain's level. I don't know what lain could do under these rule sets where you could be guaranteed FD every set, possibly even go back to FD twice. I think any ICs player, Diddy player, Falco player and possibly even Snake/MK could do super well with these rules. I'm looking forward to the next one, now that I have experience, hopefully I can learn and do better next time.

If you have any questions about the Japanese scene that weren't answered here, I can try my best to answer them. I'll try to make it to the other tournaments they have before APEX to try and hype that tournament up as much as possible. I'm not sure how Japanese players will do under US rules, but I do know they are definitely good. M2K-level? I don't know. I saw some amazing stuff and one of the staff told me Tokyo > Osaka and most of the players going to APEX are coming from Tokyo. I'd love to see them in action one day.

Anyway, expect more from the Japanese scene soon!

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
OP are you japanese? If you aren't I have my doubts that you are actually in Japan at the moment

Vayseth

Smash Master
I'm not Japanese, but I do live here. Have been since August. Will be for another 2-3 years as well. This is my first time playing smash since I left last August though so my skills aren't up to par.

And sucks! I guess since he's my only ICs experience I can only compare it to him back then. Therefore, IMO, guy who placed 3rd here < lain in August '09.

M@v

Subarashii!
Very interesting. Falco would have a field day on that ruleset(as evidence of a Falco taking it).

And timeout rule of longest in air? Bye bye mk dair camping.
(^would help ice climbers MASSIVELY)

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
First thing you all should know is the rules are COMPLETELY different. For low tier the playable characters were:

• Mario
  • Luigi
  • Bowser
  • Yoshi
  • Link
  • Zelda
  • Ganondorf
  • Samus
  • Falcon
  • PT
  • Jigglypuff
  • Ness
  • Lucas
  • Sonic
I always entertained the idea that Luigi is a great addition for Low Tier tournaments because he gives Mario a disadvantage. But why is Ike not allowed? I think he's also a great addition because he beats Luigi but loses to Sonic (whom I believe loses to Mario). That'd make Low Tier events very balanced.

Why is PT considered that bad a character in Japan?

What pools did was seed people, but in a strange way. 1st and 2nd seeds got automatically sent to round 3 of the tournament, 3rd and 4th seeds got seeded in the 2nd round and the rest were sent to the first round.
I like this idea a lot. I think I will try that out some time :3

And 10 minute timer should be standard!

:059:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Very interesting. Falco would have a field day on that ruleset(as evidence of a Falco taking it).

And timeout rule of longest in air? Bye bye mk dair camping.
(^would help ice climbers MASSIVELY)
falco and ics, (among a few others), on fd every first match?

mk on fd first match?

10 minute timer?

this ruleset almost makes metaknight fair.

PB&J

Smash Hero
i think japan will do good. they dont even care about winning money they care about winning for the fun of it so the pressure wont be as much as we care about it

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
thats mad intresting. so theres no cp stages? just 3 neutruals all day? lol

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
imo japanese will do well at apex

man i really love the way they do pools and bracket. i wish the US would adopt such a system. idc if its single elim, the way that pools seed into brackets is great, and turns pools into more of a qualifier round than anything else to roughly gauge player's skill. If every tournament was done like this, then players are still guaranteed around 4 sets (except 3 best Bo1s) in every tourney compared to the 2 for the US

Iliad

Smash Lord
From the gist of Vayseth's post, I don't see Japan doing very well. I see them turning some heads with some surprising tech-skill (even in brawl, i know, blasphemy!), but I honestly think the fact that there are so many stages that are legal that they don't play, they'll be ***** on CPs.

Vayseth

Smash Master
I think it's the strike system that will get them. They're not guaranteed a "neutral" on stage one to begin with. If they get two neutrals, they could win.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
10 minutes. U.S. won't even do 9
10 minutes of camping huh? i think my head would frickin explode from simply watchin that over here, which it would happen. I like the air time rule though. :) lol at dakid. Almost fair indeed.

I would really like to play japanese brawlers and get educated personally on the differences. that'd be hot.

vayseth, any chance you guys will slowly try to adopt MLG standards so that you wont be so caught off gaurd if you guys happened to come to the US?

@gheb 01: pt is considered bad in japan probably for the same reasons hes considered bad over here lol.

Kole

Smash Lord
I don't see Japan doing well at Apex unless they gain more experience on CP stages, especially Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar, etc.

Vayseth

Smash Master
vayseth, any chance you guys will slowly try to adopt MLG standards so that you wont be so caught off gaurd if you guys happened to come to the US?
Seriously doubtful. However, I'm going to try my best to get those going to APEX to practice those stages and get used to US rules before going.

Also remember our rules fit the US, their rules fit Japan. I don't see them changing their rules but maybe they can get used to ours before coming to APEX.

I already told them that I'll be going with them to next year's APEX. I just have to save up for it.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
The Japanese may still do well if they practice enough before going to APEX and if their raw skill is greater than other players.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Brawl isn't that complicated of a game.

All i need to do to learn a stage is play on it once or two times.

xHayatox

Smash Lord
it be good times. ill be there. i don't think they will win but they'll awe the crowd. the pressure on them will be like going deep into the ocean when playing against the rawr chant from the us crowds.. lol

PB&J

Smash Hero
its just a cp stage. if they are goos they will still win the set..people need to realize that..and im sure they know what stages to ban

Mampam

Smash Ace
W
T
F
@ these rules lol?

btw, i cant wait to watch japan on live stream, thats interesting that Kyuubi chose 9 instead of Q

OverLade

Smash Hero
Alex Strife posted an interview with the Japanese players on Allisbrawl. They hate the USA rules but they HAVE been practicing on CP stages very seriously to make sure they don't get gayed/surprised by them.

I think Japan will probably do pretty well at Apex, and if they don't do well it'll likely be due to unfamiliarity with campy playstyles or certain matchups.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
unfamiliarity with campy playstyles or certain matchups.
I don't think that applies to the japanese. They have lots of extremely gay/campy MK, Snake, Diddy, Falco and Wario players. Even players that are not considered top level in japan are very good at powershielding projectiles so I don't think they'll have issues with camping. I think it'll rather be the reads that will turn out to be a problem for them. It seems to me as if their play style doesn't give them much room for individual baits and reads which the top players in the US can capitalize on.

I'd like to see them do well in either case.

:059:

Vayseth

Smash Master
Oh yeah, that's one thing I wanted to point out.

At the tournament, there were next to zero scrubs. Everyone there was very knowledgeable about the game, could play many characters and came there SPECIFICALLY for that event. It didn't have many walk-ins, if any. Very high competition at this event.

Alex Strife posted an interview with the Japanese players on Allisbrawl. They hate the USA rules but they HAVE been practicing on CP stages very seriously to make sure they don't get gayed/surprised by them.

I think Japan will probably do pretty well at Apex, and if they don't do well it'll likely be due to unfamiliarity with campy playstyles or certain matchups.
I'd like to see this.

Top Bottom