• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

West Coast Melee Crews @ Genesis 2 (NOW UPDATED WITH POTENTIAL LINE UP)

HugS™

Smash Lord
I have been asked by Boback to run WC crews this summer @ Genesis 2. I think I would do a good job, and I haven't heard any objections to the idea.

So I am now taking it upon myself to start the process.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss which WC players would suit us best, assemble a solid team, and consider the possible players that will be on the EC team. Any strategy that goes deeper than this may need to be discuss more privately.

Let's start with which states/regions are able to compete, and a list of notable players from each region. This isn't a complete list, nor meant to list players that are guaranteed to be on the team, it's just a list of names to get things started.

Washington: Eggz, Silent Wolf
Norcal: Shroomed, SS, Lunin (From what I understand, a lot of Norcal players went inactive hard, so you'll have to fill me in on who's capable at this point in time)
Socal: Mango, Johnny, Lovage, Fly, HugS, Lucky, MacD
AZ: Axe, Taj, Forward, Vectorman
Texas: Darkrain, Wobbles
Hawaii: Ka Master (if he's coming)

Before the discussion begins, I'd like to say a few words:

I'm open to any type of ideas regarding the team, but in the end I will do what I feel is best for the West Coast.

I have a list of priorities when it comes to what I look for in crew members. The list is in descending order of importance.

-People who don't choke
-Experience
-Skill
-Character choice
-Gimmicks

So basically, I'm assuming everyone that's in consideration is decent enough at the game to play at the level that is expected of a West Coast crew. To explain this list of priorities, I'd rather pick the guy who doesn't choke before the guy with more experience or skill. I'd rather pick the guy who goes fox than the guy who has mad trixies with Ness.

So now, let's get some names out there and begin the discussion :)

Click below to hear Mango and I discuss the current state of the WC team:

http://theelectricscribble.com/2011/...ngo/#more-1209

Feedback is appreciated. Enjoy the discussion.

LINE UP UPDATE

I have emailed or PM'd 5 guaranteed starters for the crew. All but ONE have responded, and this person needs to get back to me as soon as he can so that I know he's on board for the crew battle. That means I have 7 more players to select to complete the 12 person team (including 2 alternates)

I will list 10 players that I feel are capable of being on the team. Of these 10 players, I will select 7.

In no order:
Silent Spectre
Silent Wolf
HugS
Sfat
PewPewU
Johnny
Oscar
Lucien
Wobbles
Eggz

To help me select 7, I'm asking the players I just listed to post on this thread with an update on the following:

1. Are you super willing to play on the crew battle if asked? That is, are you 100% ready to deal with the pressure?
2. Have you been practicing?
3. If not, do you feel that you will practice enough in the coming days to be ready for Genesis?
4. Are there any reasons you can give me for why you should/should not be on the crew battle?

Optional:
If you were to select the remaining 7 players, who would you choose?

If you could answer the above questions for me, it'd go a long way in helping me decide. Answering is not 100% required though, but it helps your chances.

UPDATE 07/13/2011

New players added to the crew:

Wobbles
Silent Wolf
HugS

The rest I will make a judgment call at Genesis so I can make a better judgment of current skill and decide what's best for the team. Also, I'll remove myself from the crew if I deem it necessary upon seeing the rest of the potential players play.

Lovage

Smash Hero
how many people play per crew?

anyway, to me the only guaranteed are

1. mango
2. lucky
3. silent wolf
4. axe
5. wobbles
6. shroomed

rest of the spots are up in the air, but there should be a good pool to pick from

HugS™

Smash Lord
Got reasons for the 5?

Some are obvious but I just wanna hear reasoning along with names.

To answer your question, 10 starters, and either 2 or 5 alternates, Boback is still discussing the amount of alternates with Sheridan.

Btw, I'm only putting in Axe as long as he doesn't act like he's sick honored to be on the West Coast team LOL. Places top 5 at two nationals and acts shocked to be included.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
HugS said:
Norcal: Shroomed, SS, Lunin (From what I understand, a lot of Norcal players went inactive hard, so you'll have to fill me in on who's capable at this point in time)
based on the san jose tournies other norcal candidates would be lord and sfat. pewpewu also looked very good on sunday considering he hadn't been to a tournament in months. idk what the dbr guys deal is, but they prob merit consideration from within norcal. prob overlooked someone but those are who come to mind

edit: i realize that's a lot of people btw. just cataloguing

Violence

Smash Lord
I would also recommend SFAT, PewPewU, and Lord as candidates.

Also, I think Sion from WC Canada should be considered.

Now that we have a pool of players, we can sort them into character mains, right?

Whatever: Mango
Fox: SilentWolf, Eggz, Lucky, Lovage, SFAT, Lunin
Falco: Forward, Axe, Lord, Sion, V3ctorman, PewPewU
Sheik: SFAT
Marth: Taj, PewPewU
Jiggs:
Peach: DOH, MacD
Falcon: Darkrain, SS, Lord
IC: Wobbles, Fly
Samus: HugS
Pika: Axe
Doc: Dajuan
Yoshi: V3ctorman
Mewtwo: Taj

It looks like WC lacks Sheik and Non Mango Jiggs.

I think we want a good number of fringe characters as curve balls to throw, I would think we want 1 Mango, 1 Fox, 1 Falco, 1 Marth, 1 Peach, 1 Falcon, 1 Samus, 1 Pika, 1 Doc, 1 IC. If we are allowed 2 Alts, then have 1 Fox and 1 Falco, and if we're allowed 5, then 2 Fox, 2 Falco, and a Sheik, solid characters that have mostly favorable matchups in case they're needed.

My own personal picks would be:
Mango, Lucky, Lord, PewPewU, MacD, JeffSpectre, HugS, Axe, Dajuan, Fly(I dunno who's better between Wobbles and Fly, Fly's the only one out of the two I've played)

With alts, if two were required, Sion and Lovage. If 5 were required, Sion, Lovage, SilentWolf, SFAT, Forward.

That said, there's also the EC lineup to consider, it might be better to structure it around countering their best players, like PP, HBox, M2K, and Jman.

sidefx

Smash Champion
sion is canada my friend =)

unless he primarily plays with washington (im assuming so) then it should be fine.

Havok had the same problem with TKD being from Tijuana but hes technically considered to be part of socal since he only plays with socal.

also

nonbiasedplug: bobbys marth is ****

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
My own personal picks would be:
Mango, Lucky, Lord, PewPewU, MacD, JeffSpectre, HugS, Axe, Dajuan, Fly(I dunno who's better between Wobbles and Fly, Fly's the only one out of the two I've played)
Wobbles is better than I am in most regards. Also, I dislike crews and would rather not participate in any case.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
based off their performances in the past few months, what about lovage and s2j? dunno how they are about choking though, but they've been playing really really impressively lately.

also yeah wobbles is beast, i just became a fan recently lol ^_^

MacD

Banned via Administration
zhu is more than active enough, he just isn't going to genesis

@ little england, it's EC vs WC, there is a map that shows how he split up the US and TX is WC

Violence

Smash Lord
Oh, Canada gets a separate crew?

Didn't know that. I'll have to change out Sion for S2J then, even though they aren't the same character.

I can't believe I forgot to list S2J after he four stocked me in pools. I definitely think he should at least be an alt.

I'm never sure about how good DBR is. I think Bobby's the one I've played with the most, and his Marth is pretty sick.

Damn... WC is just too deep.

Eggz

Smash Hero
1. mango
2. lucky
3. silent wolf
4. axe
5. wobbles

I agree with Silent Wolf being 100% required, his style is too unique and his fox is too good to not have/he could swap to Falco if our pimp brigade is too Fox heavy.

Axe as well, mad good as it is + gimmicks = ****.

Lucky is an all around good choice too.

idk how I feel about Wobbles, hes mad ****in good but I think his mindset is too fragile. Too easily frustrated. I'd prefer Fly over him for our ICs.

other than that I got nothin to bring to the table I guess cept that I don't think Ka Master is going.

HugS™

Smash Lord
I've told Lucien that if he decides to take this seriously, he will be included on the team.

As for some other players mentioned, I have confidence in that Johnny and Lovage wouldn't choke. My concern is Oscar's experience vs unknown players and how he'd fare against them. He's certainly capable of beating most anyone, but his style doesn't shine as much as it should sometimes when faced with new people, though this may be because of factors that won't be present at Genesis.

As for Lord, I understand he's good, but based on my list of priorities, I'd rather pick someone who won't choke and who has experience over someone who just has higher skill. I'm not saying he isn't an option, I'm just saying I'm pretty weary of picking a guy who has yet to compete outside of his region and isn't exactly proven in any of those categories other than skill.

Shroomed

Smash Master
I'll be honest, Lord is good but I wouldn't put him on the crew. Lunin/SS are also pretty out of practice as it is and aren't up to this in their current state imo. They're pretty much like Lucien, if they decide to practice up and get ready then they are serious candidates. As they are now, it will be bad if we put them on.

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
I'm a huge fan of putting Lucien on the crew, I know he'll make us proud.

I think

Mango
Wobbles or Fly (if he wants to, unsure who I'd pick over the other though)
Axe (again, only if he's sent as a counterpick, not someone to pick off a Fox's last stock and cged by Tope)
Lucien (because of what he posted)
SS (assuming he trains up, which I think is a fair assumption. he was the reason east vs west was as close as it was)
Shroomed

are my personal locks, everyone else is a tossup / depends on the other teams.

Lovage

Smash Hero
oops i forgot to put shroomed as 6. on my guaranteed list

he's the only one from norcal that is a must in my eyes.

whole lot of talent in norcal but people have been slacking so we don't really know where they stand

edit: i thought about it, and having a good sheik on the crew would be soooo important. even just as a sniper to send out against marth or other sheiks. if lucien thinks he's up to it i'd totally support him being on the crew lol

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
oops i forgot to put shroomed as 6. on my guaranteed list

he's the only one from norcal that is a must in my eyes.

whole lot of talent in norcal but people have been slacking so we don't really know where they stand
I think Jeff is an absolute must just because I've never seen him choke, and the bigger the crowd, the better he does (vs Armada, vs EC at Genesis).

ionno why I like Lucien so much, but I think if he really gets to "tip-top" shape he's essential because he's our only Sheik, and one that's better than every other Sheik except m2k at that.

BlueFoxXT

Smash Journeyman
I would say fly over wobbles but fly has expressed disinterest in crews.

AXE should absolutely go in but please use him wisely for once, WC! He's always used to knock off one or two stocks from one of his weaker matchups while the other crew still has Tope waiting to dthrow him. Use him on a high stock fox, kthx.

I absolutely support Lucien on the team, in top shape he's easily a top player on the WC and a character we just don't have.

The King should be given some thought, and I mostly say it out of hero worship, but with some practice we would gain a solid jigglypuff. He could be used effectively against Hax, and his beard would strike fear into the hearts of his enemies. 100$ srs

:phone:

HugS™

Smash Lord
Btw I'm practicing a lot lately and I strongly feel I'd be prepared to compete in crews at Genesis. So I do plan to make a case for myself in this coming month.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
To be fair to Axe, by the way, he also has a Falco.

I'm not suggesting his Falco be sent in favor of his Pikachu, but he doesn't have to be relegated to "We have to use this dude as a gimmick counterpick" status in the least, because he also plays a top tier.

Lovage

Smash Hero
holy **** i just realized the crews are west and east only, no midwest or south

ec having hbox and pp is gonna be hard

we got this

BlueFoxXT

Smash Journeyman
But we get darkrain as a possibility ya?

:phone:

Edit: I agree with Jeff being on, he does better with crowds and has a good record.

sidefx

Smash Champion
if crews is strictly going to be EC vs WC then I think she crews should have 15 people
thats what were debating atm.

on how many people to lock in vs each other, and how many alts.

if you guys have any input on matter, feel free to let me know

Gaara♥

Smash Master
reading atlus' post is what made me think that 15 man crews would be better. although his list is near perfect, that's 8 cali players, 1 AZ player, and 1 TX player. With 15 people in crews we could include Silent wolf, Eggz, and maybe darkrain. And as far as fox players that are being considered, I would take SFAT over Lunin

Top Bottom