• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Snake

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
The somewhat tricky part about approaching with a crawl under laser spam is the chance of the spacies using the illusion to rush past you. Granted, you can time your dtilt to stop the illusion, that just takes some practice.

Hm...and you can mortar slide out of the crawl the second they hesitate/cease fire and you're within range.

Also, if a Falco tries to shine you in prone, he'll miss. >: )

In short, I too think going prone against laser spam has pros that outweigh the cons.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
I'm going to disagree with this. Numerous times have spacies (not Wolf) tried to laser me, only to fail due to Snake's low clearance to the ground. It's very possible to Crawl up to Fox or Falco if they try to laser-spam Snake and punish with a dtilt or rising utilt. The lasers never hit him, at least from my experience in laser-spam.

Wolf's a different story, his shots don't go far but they are vertically wide, allowing them to hit Snake during his crawl/prone.
I'm honestly shocked that your opponent doesnt stop spam and just runs up for a quick Dsmash, because that's all that ever happens to me if I duck lazors. :urg:

***​

On the topic of Wario, I can see how he'd be a pain. Quick and easily chainable moves make for a pain in the air, and on the ground Wario can close the gap easy with his Bike. Snake should have it easy messing with Wario's recovery though, the Bair can knock him out of his Corkscrew and the Bike (I think), but if he does a Wario Waft then that may be problematic.

Also, Wario needs to break his bike for projectiles. I think they would be on even footing.

***​

On an opponent discussion though, what's your opinions on Lucario, ROB and Dedede. I got a friend who plays these three and I seem to have the advantage against Lucario, have an equal match against ROB but get utterly devastated by his Dedede. I was wondering what you guys think of these 3 matchups.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
I usually dtilt before they can get the dsmash out. Putting the blaster away does take time. Take advantage of that.

Cliche-Guevara

Smash Cadet
How do you guys think Snake fares against Zelda?

Nikita / Ducking wont stop Dins, forcing you to shield / dodge

Cypher recov is one of the easier times to sweetspot anyone with Zelda's redic Fair/Bair/Dair

Gets a little scary when Zelda is above snake, but thats true for every character.

I base these off of matches between my friend(snake) and I(Zelda), I wouldn't say we are pro, but we are decent.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
I would say for Zelda, if you can get in close then you can get her easy. When I play PwnyRide, the main thing I see with her Zelda is that the long & medium range games outdo Snake, but if Snake gets in close the extended range of the Ftilt and Utilt hitboxes or the Grenades can allow for mixups with other aerials or Mortar Slides.

I'd say it's about on even footing, probably slightly more in favor of Zelda since Din's Fire has a stupid big hitbox.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Figure I'll throw my 2 cents in about snake vs falco, since the bird is my main. And of course I'm talking from a falco main's perspective, so whenever I say "you" I refer to the bird.

I think the matchup is about even.

The main reason why snake doesn't overmatch falco is his chain grab. If falco gets a grab on snake at 0%, he can downthrow him five times without snake being able to do anything about it, and then tack a down air on him at the end. Chaingrabbing snake is rediculously easy, if you want to you can take only a tiny step forward before regrabbing, so its possible to move differing distances to get the optimal five grabs with the dair finisher. On top of that, if falco gets a grab on snake with his back to the edge, falco can reverse boost grab* to turn around and then just chain grab snake back to the edge.

Once falco hits the dair, its a possible cypher grab/spike to take care of snake's recovery. Smart snakes can get around by double jumping backwards before upB'ing, and then C4'ing themselves to get high enough to avoid falco's spike.

Additionally, since falco can put so much damage on snake with a single grab, falco can just snatch his grab combo and then run away the rest of the stock, since snake has to do 50% just to catch up on the damage gauge. Tossing grenades/shooting nikitias at falco is pretty useless, since the bird can just reflect/powershield them and then go back to spamming lasers. Short hop Phantasms have a surprisingly small amount of lag, so if falco ever feels too cornered he can phantasm to the other side of his opponent.

After falco gets his grab though, its a pretty hard game for the bird. Crawling/shielding intelligently reduces lasering to a minor nuisance for snake, and his mortar slide is difficult to punish. Snake's attacks really hurt, so if he gets falco off balance for for even a few moments it can mean serious trouble for the bird.

Falco also has to get snake up to 135%ish before his fsmash/upsmash will kill even with bad DI, so if the falco misses the chance to snatch a quick stock after the chaingrab -> dair, the bird has to struggle a long time before he can take a stock, whereas snake's uptilt will kill at about 95%. Falco also doesn't have any aerial/approach that can really contend with snake's "out of shield" game, so he has to stay on the defensive more and punish with ftilt/nair/dair.

Snake's ridiculous tilts give falco trouble in general, with their priority. The bird only attack with good range is his fsmash, and it comes out to slow and has to much lag to be thrown out carelessly (not to mention it needs to be saved for high percents if the bird has any hopes of killing with it). Getting inside of Snake's range for a grab is sometimes a hassle, too, and mortar sliding makes grabbing impossible.

All in all, Falco's got the advantage as soon as he gets a grab, but before and after he has to play very patiently or snake will take stocks before the bird can get him up to killing percents.

(*Reverse boost grabbing: Just what the name implies. Similar to Melee's boost grabbing, you can cancel a running attack into a grab in the other direction, which gives some characters a significant slide. Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_6i7SEQPWs&feature=related)

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
Wait, how is snake affected by projectile spam?

If I'm across the stage ducking, why do I even have to approach? As long as I'm 1% ahead, I can be on my side of the stage all day!

Even if they do approach, you can still act like your prone position is like you're standing. Since his animation of prone -> standing can be interrupted with anything. You can go prone -> jab. Prone -> Grab. Prone-> anything.

Edit: Unless they can aim their projectile, of course.

Courtofdoom

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone discussed Lucario vs Snake?

Lucario seems to be able to put constant pressure on Snake and juggle Snake really easily. A lot of Lucario's aerials have good priority as well. Lucario can't be entirely outcamped either since he has a projectile (tho it isn't nearly as effective as Snake's arsenal). I don't know if Lucario can be considered a counter pick but I've found that against my friend, I win about 80% of the time in Lucario vs. Snake matches

Sikarios

Smash Cadet
I don't have much to add other than this thread has been extremely helpful. My friend mains Snake and I would agree that Snake is, without a doubt, in the upper echelon of the Brawl roster. My Olimar is the only thing that can contend.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
i think pretty much anyone with strong aerials will start to do well against snake once they get the characters down, people like wario and captain falcon seem to be able to knock him off the side and hit him out of the cypher easily

fictor

Smash Rookie
I read alot of you guys strategy with Snake and nones seems to really play Snake like I am.

I'm kinda new in Super Smash, only started playing with Melee, but I think the way I play Snake is pretty Strong.

In general I would say that it is based on Controlling the map, and Forcing the opponent to go where I want him to.

I Put a Proximity mine when i got the time and when it's done now it's starting, I try to force him atacking me in a Direction placing the other mine on the oposite spot (Example : on on a second floor , the other mine would be on the ground. And i Work people out with nikita if they are campers/Don't got too good ranged attack such as Wolf.

I use alot the A combo and while the guys is stun i take my mine in place back. Charging Mortar so it land when people might try to jump on me, and jump in reverse to almost always do the backward kick.

For now on it Worked on all my friends and my Main character was GW, maybe it will change soon ^^.

If A good Snake would like to add me up(and pm on forum) to See Wich Strategy is the best/Practice.

I'm don't got much experience as I said in smash, but I defenatly want to improve and reach high competition.

Thanks! (BTW sorry did my best, i'm French... :) )

superman969

Smash Journeyman
captain falcon doesn't intimidate me too much when I play him....the only real threat is the knee when im cyphering. It could be that all my friends are garbage with rick wheeler, but you can just completely dominate him on the ground to the point that it doesn't bother me too much.

SnaggleTooth

Smash Cadet
Let's not be mean, itsthebigfoot. I understood him perfectly fine! fictor, you are awesome.

I guess I have practice, since my Granparents use very broken English

:D

fictor

Smash Rookie
haha... I'm really sorry again for my english.
But don't stop debating on how strong snake can be, I can understand you guys way better than I can write. So don't worry and even if the week as been ended I want to hear more feedback about Snake.

Another Thing, the best matchup i've seen so far against my snake is Pit. Is **** arrow give me no other choice than rushing him and he is indeed hard to rush.

I found out too when I got beaten trought you guys SWF that my Snake technique need a bit of work... ^^ But you know that it's hard with those laggy connection. I'm normally doing my Mortar Slide 3/4 of the time and Could only land 1/4 of the time online :(.

I want to join some tourney around and find out more about people, if any is aware of Competition in canada (Quebec/Ontario),

Thanks Again! And try to read my two times :p

Btw maybe you guys find my english better, but if you speak another language you will find out that it it REALLY harder to explain something than only talking about whatever :).

LegendofLink

Smash Apprentice
Coming from a Lucario main, I find that Snake is one of my worst matchups, the only thing that Lucario has going for him is his aerial priority and the fact that he can chain grab Snake until 80% or so, and both of these advantages can be minimized by Snake's ground game. His tilts out prioritize Lucario's and out speed his smashes. He is also heavy which means that he is hard to kill, and he kills at low %'s which means that Lucario won't get a high aura bonus. Lucario's aerials can't even knock Snake off of his cypher most of the time. I find Link and ROB to be much more effective against Snake.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Please explain how Link is effective against Snake. I honestly don't see how that can be. It could be because you are better with Link than Lucario.
I can't find anything about this matchup.

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
Coming from a Lucario main, I find that Snake is one of my worst matchups, the only thing that Lucario has going for him is his aerial priority and the fact that he can chain grab Snake until 80% or so, and both of these advantages can be minimized by Snake's ground game. His tilts out prioritize Lucario's and out speed his smashes. He is also heavy which means that he is hard to kill, and he kills at low %'s which means that Lucario won't get a high aura bonus. Lucario's aerials can't even knock Snake off of his cypher most of the time. I find Link and ROB to be much more effective against Snake.
I've fought some pretty amazing Lucarios that actually gave me a ton of trouble, I mean in theory Snake should **** Lucario but I really don't know anymore lol.

Imo Marth, Wario, Falco, Dedede give snake the most trouble ... and Wolf/Rob

?!?

Smash Lord
Holla at me if you need to hire a teams partner. I
I recently won XESTICLE going all Snake, beating M2K's DDD in the winner's final 3-1 and in the finals he took the first set barely 2-3 and then I won 3-2 x_x

I love Snake. I think he's the funnest character to play by FAR.

Anyway, basically all of his moves can kill, he's either the 2nd or third heaviest character, his recovery is one of the best, his projectile game is one of the best (though, I rarely ever use any of it), his tilts are GODLY, his out of shield game is GODLY, his dash attack canceled usmash is GODLY, his aerials are all situationally GODLY, his grabs are actually USEFUL! Wow, what a broken character.

I'm pretty convinced Snake is either the best or 2nd best character next to Meta Knight.

First off, my play style rotates completely around walking around. Yes, slowly walking around. I walk around and spacing myself in front of my opponent and I never use grenades or other projectiles unless the distance between us is quite far. Power shielding (sometimes just shielding is fine too) is another thing I do because it sets up for every Snake tilt/quick move out of shield. I like to randomly mortar slide to approach as his usmash makes him nearly unpunishable unless you like to eat falling bombs.

This was basically one of the only ways I could approach M2K's DDD without getting grabbed every single time. You can also do it instantly out of crawling backwards slowly, it looks hilarious.

His ftilt is downright broken, 21% damage fresh. It has ridiculous priority, comes out almost instantly, and the 2nd part has the most absurd range. It's the main move I use out of shield and to approach randomly, especially after mortar sliding behind them into a quick turn around ftilt.

His utilt has the most absurd range in the game for what the hitbox appears to look like. The range in front of him is down right insane, the utilt can actually reach below him and hit people on the ledge, and it has range above him that isn't too surprising for how long his leg is. The move comes out ridiculously fast and has one of the best KO power/speed ratios in the game. His utilt kills nearly every character at around 90-100%, and the heavy weight characters at around 110-120% as long as it's fresh.

His triple jab combo is extremely useful as well. The first jab comes out faster than ftilt does, and it also provides an interesting amount of stun time. You can actually jab to ftilt people or jab to utilt and it COMBOS. Yes thats right, COMBOS IN BRAWL!!!! OMG I LIKE THIS CHARACTER!!!

Errr sorry, getting a little excited. You can also jab, first hit of ftilt into utilt and it also combos as long as your timing is on. Another use is if you overspace your ftilt (which I do A LOT) and people try and punish you, you can usually just jab combo before they reach you.

I don't use his dtilt often but when I do it's to edge gaurd against people trying to double jump to the ledge, it's sort of hard to not make your character poke their head just barely above the ledge and eat a dtilt. Otherwise, I rarely use this move.

His usmash. Oh god, his usmash is so good. VS characters that don't have projectiles you can literally just stand in place and spam usmash and you are almost completely unapproachable. The placing of the mortar has a decent hitbox, the bombs coming down come down left or right randomly (only thing I hate), and it's ridiculously fast. I love to edge gaurd with usmash since I can get to the ledge almost instantly via mortar slide and charge usmash accordingly, then wait to see what my opponent does and quickly ledge hog, utilt their double jump to ledge (into the bomb), or run off and fastfall a back air (which sometimes hits them into the bomb or stage spikes them).

His nair does TWENTY-EIGHT % if all the hits connect. I love to use this move, if you full jump nair all the hitboxes come out but you land with landing lag, double jump nair auto cancels (straight into a beautiful ftilt or jab combo), I love to use this move because it has surprising range and priority and deals a LOT of damage. You can also wait for people to land on platforms and double jump up to them and nair at the same time, it completely destroys their shield and shield stabs a great majority of the time. Another use of nair is ledge jump -> instant nair. It completely destroys anyone jumping above the ledge. Oh god what a broken character!

I like his dair too, though I situationally use it the last hit of his dair is his strongest knockback aerial. You can ledge jump -> dair and the first kick or two will hit anyone standing near the ledge. You can also shield drop short hop a dair and usually all of the hits hit, but I prefer to play it safe and just ftilt instead. The move definitely has it's uses.

I rarely use his C4 except to recover. I placed a C4 in the "safe zone" of norfair during the lava wave and left it, and M2K didn't notice and ventured in while I shielded the lava wave, I detonated my c4 after and M2K took the damage. I think I underuse C4 but I'd rather use it to recover just in case I get gimped (Snake's up b can be grabbed if you do it too close to the ledge and he flies off and can't do up b again, unless you C4 recover). I have more consistant results if I just walk around in front of people and space/wait for them rather than fooling around with grenades and C4.

The Nikita Missile/over b... I rarely or never use. I'd rather use grenades or edge guard with Snake's broken hit boxes.

There's a number of grenade tricks I use, but rarely. Against DDD's that are not near perfect with chain throwing you can mash B to pull a grenade then as soon as you get grabbed you'll get dthrown into a grenade and escape, it's not worth it if you're already at the end of the stage, only if you're at the very beginning of the CG at the end of the stage facing the other side.

You can also hold a grenade and shield, it'll drop to your feet. I know most people already know this, but another trick I use is just picking up the grenade and approaching. Just run up to them and shield just before it blows up, the hitbox is rather large and you won't get hurt since you're shielding the grenade that just blew up in your hand... too good.

I rarely use his down smash mine except when I rarely mess up the mortar slide (I dash, hit down on the c stick to dash attack, then immediately press up + grab (z)) Sometimes I get combod into my own down smash and it just doesn't really seem to be worth the trouble.

Stickying people with C4 has to be one of the funnest things to do in Brawl. I have a number of ways of doing it securely. You can wait until people land on a platform, double jump up to them and they expect you to attack so they shield, then you just place the c4 on them because it goes through shields. Fastfall up air or utilt them up and detonate. Usually kills at around 50-60% before the uair/utilt. If you predict someone jumping from the ledge you can also jump with them at the same time and sticky them. If people are dumb enough to approach you then you can just power shield to sticky, then immediately jab combo or ftilt/utilt them into detonate for a sexy combo.

I'll add more as I think of it or just post in a new post, but I love Snake, he's the only reason I play Brawl. Thank God he's broken.
I agree. Snake is the only reason I play brawl too. my nigg@!

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
snake has a good advantage over robs. altho Robs lazars and projectile is too anoying seriously...

also while everyones bad matchups include pit and MK it seems a little bit more on snake just because hes either got to defend or play agressively.

im thinking pika does wel lvs snake too.

but im here to ask about snakes C4. what if instead of finishing ur A combo, since they perfect shield the last hit, you place a c4, dash attack > blow it up. dead from 65%+

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
snake has a good advantage over robs. altho Robs lazars and projectile is too anoying seriously...

also while everyones bad matchups include pit and MK it seems a little bit more on snake just because hes either got to defend or play agressively.

im thinking pika does wel lvs snake too.

but im here to ask about snakes C4. what if instead of finishing ur A combo, since they perfect shield the last hit, you place a c4, dash attack > blow it up. dead from 65%+
I don't believe you can cancel the kick after you connect with the second punch.

wiseman

Smash Rookie
The snake is prows fiercily but cannot scrach it's back because it is the zoo people are aware of that the snakes have no arms and wishes to scratch its back

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
how useful is that knee lock on opponents? i use it on my brother but im thinking it wont work on real opponents? lolz easy 50 damamge if they dont know its comming/not thinking

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
how useful is that knee lock on opponents? i use it on my brother but im thinking it wont work on real opponents? lolz easy 50 damamge if they dont know its comming/not thinking
It's decent, but don't overuse it because it's not infinite (unless there's a wall maybe). If I manage to pull it off I usually do maybe once or twice, then either finish the tilt or if I feel lucky fsmash lol.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
It's only a infinite if your opponent is holding an Assist Trophy, hammer, or golden hammer. It forces them to drop it or die. It's a great way to punish people who grab in front of you and if they are stubborn, you can get a KO with your up tilt at about 100-115%.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I feel that I really need to comment against the mentality that Olimar is a Snake counter. If Snake plays the match right (i.e. spaming the crap out of F-tilt) then there is little Olimar can do. Olimar is also one of the lightest characters in the game and can die well below 100% if you hit with a fresh move (really any fresh move because they all kill).

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
I disagree.

First off, almost no character can edgeguard GW. Snake doesn't need to. GW is the second lightest character and dies off the top super easy. Snakes utilt is scary for GW players.

GW just has to do soo much work to keep up with snake. Snakes out of shield game is almost too much for GW to handle.

For example, the Key goes through snakes upsmash, but snake has plenty of time to shield and then just punish the lag on the dair with ftilt or utilt or jab.

Snake is also really hard to edgeguard. Yeah, you can hit him out of his cypher when he is low pretty easily, but he will just keep using up B until he is above the stage and drop.

Your solution to this does not work. Snake simply has to not airdodge until right before he hits the ground. You can hit him with upB, but he can dI hard left or right and GW cannot follow up with any move. If GW uses any other move, it's pretty easy to see and just airdodge.

Overall, GW can't really pressure snake like he can other characters, and snakes out of shield game shuts down most of GW's offensive options. Even if you space bair well, snake can still ftilt or motar slide you. Utilt kills stupidly low, and grenades make attacking snake next to impossible.
I love how a little over a month later I've watched everything in this post become false.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
Meh, I'm kinda sure Snake still has a number of advantages over G&W. Like camping, properly spaced mortar slides, utilt, etc.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
What can I say? Snake came into Nintendo land with showed them what he's made of.

I can't really add much to gameplay that hasn't already been said (and to be honest I kinda want to avoid it). Like I said in another post I think it's jumping the gun to say he's broken, although he is still really really good and a few things are a little scale tipping I have to admit. Still though, I hate to say it but as an old MG fan I can't help but like and even find a little fitting that Snake is so **** good. I mean it's Solid Snake. lol He eats helicopters.

viparagon

Smash Ace
snake and meta are a league above everyone else IMO

What makes snake this amazing camper anyway? I think that falco pit Zelda tink and oli all force him to aproach.
Out of all the characters, I would have to agree wiith others that olimar is a good counter for snake, Possibly the best. Olimars biggest weakness is his recovery but snakes slow movement speed prevent him from getting near. Olis got his grab, grab combo, fsmash and dsmash to keep him at bay.

megamanexev3

Smash Journeyman
snake weakness i hear is ROB.... but thats just what i hear..
wolf laser is annoying -,-

but ionno I see snake as broken XD the tilts people the titls
No, ROB is not his Weakness, he's just a harder matchup than most. I'd say that a good DeDeDe would fare well against a Snake player. Some of his moves can cancel out a mortar slide half way through, his recovery is great, and frankly, he out ranges Snake. It's hard to effectively use any of Snake's projectiles against DeDeDe as he can always throw his minions at you. His chain grab is pretty ****ing deadly.

When fighting a DeDeDe as Snake though, all I suggest is up tilts, F-throws, B-Throws and U-Throws. Be careful with your F-Tilt. If 3D blocks, you ARE going to get shield grabbed. What could help is dropping grenades and planting mines, but those can easily damage you as well.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
We know, but there's more to Snake than those two moves. If there wasn't, he wouldn't be top tier. Anyway, I think his down tilt can be used effectively, but how?

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
Simple. Noone expects Snake to approach low, they always expect a mortar slide. Feint Snakedash to a crawl, and dtilt from there. I know it may not be a good approach, but it's a starting point, and that means something.

Also, may be effective on Yoshi's Island or Corneria due to sloping stage terrain (It's funny and awesome to see Snake crawling on one side of a pipe on Y's Island and magically switch sides to dtilt).

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Now for my usual thought on a character.

Snake has too many advantages over everybody that I don't feel like writing up a summary on him.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
yeah, well im too lazy to write up en entire ****in summary.

besides, after being in constant debate with other members about the content of my summaries, do you really think that im going to write one whether it's positive or not?

Top Bottom