• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Ganondorf

mimic_king

Smash Lord
What do you have against me? You've been posting after my posts on three threads so far. And don't say because you think Im stupid.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
I think you're the one being rude. You started it by saying I was stupid, on others threads too.

Serph

Smash Journeyman
I'm having problems with Thunderstorming. I can do it just fine in training, but in the heat of battle I either fail to autocancel or accidently perform a forward air. I also can't really do it whilst jumping from side to side. I understand it's easier if you set up jumping on, but I honestly cannot go back to that.

So basically, does anyone here Thunderstorm consistently without using up for jump? I suppose I just need to practice more.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Again, practice practice practice. Thunderstorming is like any other AT - you need to sit down and do it repeatedly to get it down before bringing it to a tournament.

deadpoe7

Smash Apprentice
I'm having problems with Thunderstorming. I can do it just fine in training, but in the heat of battle I either fail to autocancel or accidently perform a forward air. I also can't really do it whilst jumping from side to side. I understand it's easier if you set up jumping on, but I honestly cannot go back to that.

So basically, does anyone here Thunderstorm consistently without using up for jump? I suppose I just need to practice more.
L-trigger set to jump works just fine for me. I just recently starting being able to thunderstorm in combat, so I know just what you're going through.

Again, practice practice practice. Thunderstorming is like any other AT - you need to sit down and do it repeatedly to get it down before bringing it to a tournament.
MiraiGen speaks truth; just keep calm and keep chuggin' away at it. (That's one of the pluses to maining the Dorf, he naturally lends himself to a calm playing style.)

deadpoe7

Smash Apprentice
Peoples of the Ganonboard, I have a question: How do I f-air from the ledge onto the stage? I believe it was A2ZOMG who I saw perform it in a vid.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Give us a link to the video?

As far as I know, you can't drop off and doublejump on to the stage as Ganondorf. You'd have to like, ledgejump or ledgejump+double jump to get on.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
You can get back on the stage from drop off then DJ with air dodge, and all of his aerials except n-air.

It's more of a timing thing. It's close to the timing of air dodge onto the ledge. I actually fair onto ledge pretty useful because of it's range and shield push back. You can also DI away from the ledge with it if they are to close.

So basically: drop, DJ, and when almost at the peak of the DJ, DI into the stage and f-air.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
You can get back on the stage from drop off then DJ with air dodge, and all of his aerials except n-air.

It's more of a timing thing. It's close to the timing of air dodge onto the ledge. I actually fair onto ledge pretty useful because of it's range and shield push back. You can also DI away from the ledge with it if they are to close.

So basically: drop, DJ, and when almost at the peak of the DJ, DI into the stage and f-air.
I'm so bad at this. My DJ always comes up mad short of the ledge. What's the timing like for the drop/DJ? Is the input really fast or is there some slower pacing to it or something. My DJ is like useless of the ledge and basically just gets him up to ledge grab height again.

deadpoe7

Smash Apprentice
OH, it's a double jump! I had always thought that it was a single hop away from the ledge and DI onto the stage with the F-air like CF and his knee. Awesome, thanks guys.

furyberserk

Smash Apprentice
Ganondorf is the most easiest character I've ever played with. There is a very easy strategy when using him and it is so effective, that it almost makes him cheap. The game lacking in a momentum jump is the only problem with the game. Besides, he has some disjointed in-game hitboxes and his dair is too cheap. The only thing that makes him really cheap are his returning attacks.

I really hate his run. It looked better in melee no matter what anyone says, it had aggression and looked like a "******** monkey about to fall tripping on acid," the thing that made him great.

TP

Smash Master
Ganondorf is the most easiest character I've ever played with. There is a very easy strategy when using him and it is so effective, that it almost makes him cheap. The game lacking in a momentum jump is the only problem with the game. Besides, he has some disjointed in-game hitboxes and his dair is too cheap. The only thing that makes him really cheap are his returning attacks.
That's funny, seeing as people generally consider Ganon one of the hardest characters to get good with.

Disjointed hitboxes? Cheap Dair? Try Meta Knight or Lucario and get back to me.

Divilenta

Smash Journeyman
First of all, the only part about Ganondorf that sucks is that he wears nailpolish. And that is up for debate. :p

Second, how do I thunderstorm?

TP

Smash Master
First of all, the only part about Ganondorf that sucks is that he wears nailpolish. And that is up for debate. :p

Second, how do I thunderstorm?
1) Hold down (until you learn to do it on the fly)
2) Have your thumb rest on Y and A.
3) ????
4) PROFIT!

Practice makes perfect. I've never even tried to use tap jump for it. That seems crazy to me, but everyone has a style.

Dolphination

Smash Apprentice
I have been thunderstorming with Y-Down C and that is freakin tough...i screw up and hit it late about 15% of the time. I have found even with tap jump on I just hit up on the control stick and Down C and it is ez as pie. You just have to tap up, not hold it. And im wondering, does anyone ever use Y-Down C to thunderstomp?...the reason I started doing it that way is cuz it was easier to get a stomp out of a powershield than jamming on up because I would roll sometimes if I didnt hit directly up on the Control stick.

Teronist09

Smash Journeyman
I use cstick down when I want to fastfall dair; it's easiest way for me to fast fall for some reason. It helps me sometimes when i get approached from the air coming back to the stage.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Y'know, someone here should make me a mod of the Ganon forums for a day, so I can sticky a topic on how to Thunderstorm.

Thunderstorming is doing a buffered SH D-air. I always do it with Y->A Down.

Everyone should learn to Thunderstorm actually. It teaches you how to buffer stuff in general.

Dolphination

Smash Apprentice
I have no idea where I heard it so I'm probably making it up, but I thought you get more distance horizontally if you use the Cstick. and yeah a sticky about thunderstorming would be good cuz many people who wanna learn how to have no resources to 0_0.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
I have no idea where I heard it so I'm probably making it up, but I thought you get more distance horizontally if you use the Cstick. and yeah a sticky about thunderstorming would be good cuz many people who wanna learn how to have no resources to 0_0.
WRONG

You can get just as much horizontal distance with the Y->A method as you can with tap jump/c-stick, and you won't run into the landing lag problems that occasionally happen with the c-stick. When thunder storming on stage, I never eff with the c-stick. I use it from time to time to get ledge grabbers so that I don't have to hold down on the control stick, causing a fast fall.

:034:

Smash Hero
I always use Y-A for buffered aerials, it works a lot more reliably than the C-stick method, in my opinion. I usually mess up on the timing and do Downsmashes instead... Which is stupid.

Serph

Smash Journeyman
I just had a great one-on-one battle against a random Lucario online. We were both pretty equal in terms of skill level, but I absolutely battered him on Shadow Moses Island. I was mixing up my Flame Chokes like never before, and at one point I caught him in a cycle of up aerials through the top platform. The angle was just so that he was hitting the wall, then the floor, then bouncing straight back into my next up air. Aside from the time I voided a recovering Ness' PK Thunder orb with an item capsual, it's probably the most badass thing I've done in Brawl.

Yeah, just thought I'd share that. :chuckle:

Top Bottom