• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Falco

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
I would just like to point out that skilled falco players are placing high in tournaments.

Sethlon won a recent texas tournament and got 2nd at the biggest texas tournament so far, only losing to me. But he probably desereved first, because he beat practically every good player there. I had an easy bracket, and played Sethlon 15 times in that 1 tournament lol.

As falco gets more popular we will definitly see his tournament placings skyrocket.
Nobody cares about canada ;__; there are never any tournaments in toronto.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
i agree rgb, i too am a torontonian who is disgusted by the lack of canadian recognition. (i'm also embaressed by the caNadian brawl lack of talent, as we had plenty in melee)
yeah. well hopefully when if there's a tournament in toronto I'll finally be able to show people my moves. playing people online is awful, there's no point to playing if half of the kills are gimps from button delay.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Nobody cares about canada ;__; there are never any tournaments in toronto.
i agree rgb, i too am a torontonian who is disgusted by the lack of canadian recognition. (i'm also embaressed by the caNadian brawl lack of talent, as we had plenty in melee)
Its still around guys, its just a a lot of Canadian tournaments are not nearly as advertised. But Southern Ontario Smashers do have one unique thing going for them. Most of the time, a few hours on the TTC will get you anywhere in the GTA, on thus to almost any tournament in that area. We are very lucky in that respect.

I suggest you guys look on the tournament boards, or, if your bold, try running a tourny yourself. ^^

Onto Falco:

Falco is going to be the #1 Snake Counter-pick from what I see right now. This means Falco will be a popular character, period.

He has a ton of appeal out of that as well:

Falco has lasers to control from afar
Safe pokes with his tilts/shine in medium range
A brutally good chain grab at close range

This equates to a very controlling and adaptive character.

He has a good amount of kill moves, a few of which can be combo'd into.

Usmash has the boost smash and hyphen smash making it usable
F-smash has great range and good power
D-air is just plain amazing, as its quick, lagless when landed, spikes, and can be chain-grabbed into.

Falco is going to be the character to look out for.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
Its still around guys, its just a a lot of Canadian tournaments are not nearly as advertised. But Southern Ontario Smashers do have one unique thing going for them. Most of the time, a few hours on the TTC will get you anywhere in the GTA, on thus to almost any tournament in that area. We are very lucky in that respect.

I suggest you guys look on the tournament boards, or, if your bold, try running a tourny yourself. ^^
Well, as soon as I'm out of high school I'm going to run a tournament (I'm 17 right now, grade 11. sux amirite). Nothing happens here so I have to make it happen, I guess. Me and a few of my friends are pretty serious about smash bros., and if we can find other serious smashers in the area it shouldn't be too hard to eventually make something the equivalent of what's happening in central canada.

Also, like you said, the Viva and YRT lines are so fantastic... Viva especially (I love how they rarely check if you have a ticket : P). Transportation is very easy where we live, thankfully. The only thing that sucks is the frequent strikes >__>

D1

Banned via Administration
Falco's Drillbeak is the best move EVARR!!!1111!!! (fair)

In all seriousness tho...out of all of Falco's moves I'm saddened at the range of dtilt and dsmash...yet I still utilize 'em...I dunno if anyone felt the same?

Nael

Smash Rookie
Oh my god his fsmash range is godly. It hits behind him and three miles ahead of him. His bair comes out so fast and has so much power behind it. Also, I haven't played too many good Falco so this question bothers me: would it be smarter to go to the ledge and ledge-hop to double laser spam, or just double laser spam while on solid ground?

Solid ground

clowsui

Smash Legend
Haha are you really only 13? I thought you were 15 XD In your weird myspace pic you look older than you are
So does Inui do this weirdo stuff irl too?

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
no the last tourny i seen him was june 1st. i havent seen him IRL since. He started acting gay about 2 weeks ago. You know about my myspace ? >.> i only put 15 there because i signed but when i was 12. i need a parent >:-O

M@v

Subarashii!
Falco is simply amazing. I'm a fox guy, but whenever I play falco, hes pretty much better in almost EVERY way. Most falco players can take me from 0-70 as fox by CGing to the running attack-instant usmash thing. Its so hard to fight him. Hes much better suited for tourneys than fox(though fox isnt bad). I got this message at the last 16 man tourney I was at. 6 out of the 16 people used Falco in at least more than 1 match. 1 of them won(but he used MK, snake, AND G&W as well, *cough*), and the others did decent.

Zz-Falco-zZ

Smash Rookie
Falco's combo's are amazing, he's just better than Fox but Falco and Fox have the same Special's,
which i dont like about Falco,
he's still a great Brawler.
Bye: Me :D

mimic_king

Smash Lord
it's not as easy to spike people with falco anymore. since in brawl all short jumps are higher and it takes more time to do a fast fall, he can't do a quick NAIR and come down for an attack. he is slower now. his reflector sucks. it can't attack people directly and it can't hit people into the air. anyone who says the projectile reflector is a good idea is completely wrong. anyone who played falco in melee (like me) would know that falco's reflector has been severely jacked up, as well as his blaster.

when you think about it, every character has been nerfed in some way thanks to brawl's new gameplay mechanics.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
I'm playing with a new method of doing ground-skimming lasers (Lasers that travel so low, they can hit crouching Snake and Kirby). But the method is hard, so if anyone can help out, it would be great.

Essentially, what you want to do is Phantasm into the ledge of the stage at just the right height so that it does the Ledge Momentum Cancel. If you grab the ledge, you went too low. If you go onto the stage, you went too high.
Once you've cancelled, pause for a nano-second and fire one laser. This much I've done. After the laser fires, double jump away from the stage and Reverse another laser at ground level. Then, Phantasm into the Momentum Cancel to restart.

That's the theory, anyway. I have no idea how well it works. So, the things I need help with are:

1. How do we get the Momentum Cancel to work consistently? It seems in my testing that Falco might have to be a certain distance away from the ledge for it to work. I've even had it happen where Falco causes the glitch, but instead of falling offstage, he just winds up standing. We should know what causes this, since it could be insanely useful for recovery.

2. Is Falco's Double Jump high enough to shoot another ground-skimming laser on the way up, and still have time to Phantasm at the proper height? This is the part I'm having the most trouble checking, since it's so hard to get the LMC to work.

This is all stuff we should be looking into anyway, so any help is appreciated by Falco's bread.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
i know another strategy. SH, Fair, fast-fall, repeat. then once you are off the stage, recover back and they won't make it. if they're about to, then quickly spike them. i need to post a video of this so you know what im talking about.

WatzUp

Smash Rookie
Really can't see laser camping being all that effective since only a few characters will get hit by both lasers if he fires 2. Everyone else can just perfect shield and approach given how easy it is to do in Brawl. Plus lasers don't go all that far anymore.

Besides, why should Falco camp when he gets a free 40-50 damage with a grab on most every character?
let me begin by saying you obviously are not a pro falco player ,cause if u were you would understand that constantly using the lasers will give YOU the advantage of letting them approach you! not the other way around.and SHDL do work if you time it correctly.

and 2nd the chain grab wont work in all chars,and is not that easy to pull of a spike since most character know that all they have to do to avoid the spike is jump back a bit..so yeah dude learn to play good,before you say something you dont know.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
He didn't say that the CG worked on every character. He said most every, which makes no sense, so he could've said that, but you don't know for sure, so you can't say that.

f0cus

Smash Cadet
i think falco belongs in the top tier as well. hes just so versatile against so many characters. i do find it hard to use him when im fighting someone who cant be chaingrabbed though. he is just too hard to fight with heavy characters.

its just the SHDL that makes falco so addicting to play

*kind of like when you first start using MK, except people wont hate you for it*

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Falco's definitely interesting to play. He's really fragile, but incredibly powerful. When Falco's game aligns, he's absolutely unstoppable. Let your opponent get through your defenses, though, and you'll be in a world of hurt REALLY fast.

I also love how versatile he is, since he can fight equally well at long and close range, as well as in the air or on the ground.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Falco Melee is a little better then Brawl

Melee FTW!
LITTLE better? He was a LOT better.

Poor Capt. Falcon A.K.A Mr . Hard Nipples got unfairly Nerfed:( He was Top Tier(or High Tier can't remember right now) in Meele now hes at the bottom of the low tier...
He was high tier.

Melee anybody is better than brawl
What about Kirby, Ness, Pikachu, Luigi, Zelda, Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, and Toon Link (YL)? I'm pretty sure they were worse in Melee.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Not true. There are still Falco players out there that need a place to call their turf. This is that place. Now that this thread is old, there will only be Falco players posting here.

Top Bottom