• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We really shouldn't mess with The Moon

Mewter

Smash Master
Why do we want to build/ live on the moon anyway?

Living on the moon is as ridiculous as trying to collide two atoms to create a black hol- oh wait :urg:.
First off, the LHC won't kill us. The chances, time of existence, and size of the black hole appearing would be absolutely minuscule.

Secondly, colonizing the moon would be a great achievement for mankind. It would be of even more magnitude than colonizing the New World.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Watch it miss the moon, hit planet X, and destroy a martian capital city.
You're too slow

Why do we want to build/ live on the moon anyway?

Living on the moon is as ridiculous as trying to collide two atoms to create a black hol- oh wait :urg:.
The LHC was not made to try to create black hole, and chances of them being a by product are... very poor.

Colonizing the moon is the first step to space colonization. Which is eventually the ultimate goal. You'll be wondering why do we want to colonize space. It's just so our species won't die out like the dino's did.

Lol, this all made me think a lot of Spore.

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice
the colonization of space is the ultimate achievement left for human kind. Our planet is a great home, but it cannot and will not sustain our populous forever, we ultimately -have- to leave and begin spreading out, or face certain doom. This axiom is at the heart of NASA's goal, as is most other country's space programs. For the time being, we're going it alone in this, but I surmise it will quickly become an international effort, once we trump certain issues that still face us, namely the discovery of Fusion power. With Fusion power we can begin to bend physics to our will, thus enabling light speed, or even faster than light speed travel, along with any number of other currently science fiction ideas, that are definitely within our grasp.
I'm sorry, but this is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. Do you have any proof to back up any of these 'facts'?

Colonizing the moon is the first step to space colonization. Which is eventually the ultimate goal. You'll be wondering why do we want to colonize space. It's just so our species won't die out like the dino's did.
I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that dinosaur's died out due to changes in the environment, in part affected by a huge (10 km wide) meteorite hitting Mexico. Not because they couldn't colonise space.

Ohh, and our race is going to die out. It's a question of 'when', not 'if', there's nothing we can do to change that (not even planet-hopping).

_umbra_

Smash Champion
I'm so happy they found such a substantial amount of water on the moon :) I may not have learned too much in my year as an astronomy pre-major, but I at least know how big a deal this is lol

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I really don't see how we could build a moon base.

I really can't see us having the capability to build settlements on other planets.
Also, I really sometimes think NASA is the most elaborate money waster in humanity's history.
You know, people probably thought this same way about actually launching to space around the early 50's or 40's.

This would also be worth it too. Larger settlement space would be amazingly helpful in the future, I'm sure. Though one thing that would be bad about it is competition for that area -- wars, etc. Just like it happened in the past. But I hope that would never happen.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You know, people probably thought this same way about actually launching to space around the early 50's or 40's.

This would also be worth it too. Larger settlement space would be amazingly helpful in the future, I'm sure. Though one thing that would be bad about it is competition for that area -- wars, etc. Just like it happened in the past. But I hope that would never happen.
No but really, think of it like this.

How fast can we possibly make a space shuttle? In the time it takes for a shuttle to reach the moon/another planet, our muscles will have atrophied. In case of the moon, they'd atrophy if you spend too much time there. Astronauts who come back from long space expeditions are carried out of the spacecraft, although they don't show you this anymore.

How are we meant to transport tonnes and tonnes of machinery when space travel is all about travelling light? If we can't even get a ****ing robot on Mars, how can we successfully settle humans on there? As for the moon, well I'd like to see the human race carry all the necessary things there and build a habitable base while also taking care of its other endeavours like blowing up the darker people or holding rock concerts to end world hunger.

We're not going anywhere, we won't even be on Earth for another century most likely.

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice
You will eventually die too. Wouldn't you want to postpone it?
Not really, I've accepted the fact that I'm going to die at some point in my life, and no amount of resisting it or struggling against it will change that fact.

That we are going to die at some point makes life worth living. There is an end, so you have to try and do, see and experience as much as you can before it's over. If there was no end, I wouldn't be motivated to do anything, because I'd always think "I've got eternity, I can do it later, there's no reason to do it now instead of x years from now".

Plus, even if you could live for 50 years longer... would you want to? Maybe I'm just an ageist or something, but I really wouldn't enjoy living to 100+, old, frail, physically unable to do a lot of things...

We're not going anywhere, we won't even be on Earth for another century most likely.
Do you mean that as in "Humans will be extinct within a century" or "we won't be on Earth, we'll be on another planet, within a century"? I'm guessing it's the former, why do you think that?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I'm sorry, but this is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. Do you have any proof to back up any of these 'facts'?
From: http://www.nasa.gov/about/highlights/what_does_nasa_do.html

NASA's mission is to pioneer the future in space exploration, scientific discovery and aeronautics research.

Proof in the pudding, my friend, it's their mission statement, duh. What else you think NASA does, try to figure out how to play video games while wearing space suits?

Actually...

nah.

I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that dinosaur's died out due to changes in the environment, in part affected by a huge (10 km wide) meteorite hitting Mexico. Not because they couldn't colonise space.
Vids pls or it didn't happen.

Ohhhhh snap. :D See? General Consensus is not equal to Fact. We all "thought" the Earth was flat at one point, the it was at the center of the solar system with the Sun revolving around It. Think before you post. At least my ascertion was based in knowledge I acquired legitiatemly. I have been to several NASA space centers, read a lot of their astronauts' writings, taken classes on Astronmoy, AND... took 3 seconds out of my life JUST to go to their website to prove you wrong. Nyah!

Ohh, and our race is going to die out. It's a question of 'when', not 'if', there's nothing we can do to change that (not even planet-hopping).
Really? Are you SO sure? Maybe we progress to a point we evolve into pure-energy form, which has no means of "dying out" (The first law of thermodynamics).

No but really, think of it like this.

How fast can we possibly make a space shuttle? In the time it takes for a shuttle to reach the moon/another planet, our muscles will have atrophied. In case of the moon, they'd atrophy if you spend too much time there. Astronauts who come back from long space expeditions are carried out of the spacecraft, although they don't show you this anymore.

How are we meant to transport tonnes and tonnes of machinery when space travel is all about travelling light? If we can't even get a ****ing robot on Mars, how can we successfully settle humans on there? As for the moon, well I'd like to see the human race carry all the necessary things there and build a habitable base while also taking care of its other endeavours like blowing up the darker people or holding rock concerts to end world hunger.

Yes, it is true that currently if we were to use any of our shuttles for the journey to the moon, it'd basically not even work, lol. This is why GW Bush actually started a new initiative (yep, he actually did something right!)

http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=9af8592e5c1e2b954dac30b740043b47

Uh, we had 2 'robots' on mars Spirit and Opportunity

http://marsrovers.nasa.gov/home/index.html

As for transportation of equipment, happens all the time, you do it piece by piece over time, thus how the International Space Station which was once a dream, is now reality. It'll take time, but not 100 years, and hopefully we won't have killed ourselves off over stupid holy wars or whatever in the process.

Not really, I've accepted the fact that I'm going to die at some point in my life, and no amount of resisting it or struggling against it will change that fact.

That we are going to die at some point makes life worth living. There is an end, so you have to try and do, see and experience as much as you can before it's over. If there was no end, I wouldn't be motivated to do anything, because I'd always think "I've got eternity, I can do it later, there's no reason to do it now instead of x years from now".

Plus, even if you could live for 50 years longer... would you want to? Maybe I'm just an ageist or something, but I really wouldn't enjoy living to 100+, old, frail, physically unable to do a lot of things...
Why the nihilist attitude? Maybe within your lifetime we make some crazy breakthrough in health sciences that allows humans to live for hundreds of years, and in perfect physical form. Don't be so pessimistic! This discovery on the Moon may not impress YOU, but people like you... nothing impresses you anyway.

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice
Our planet is a great home, but it cannot and will not sustain our populous forever, we ultimately -have- to leave and begin spreading out, or face certain doom. This axiom is at the heart of NASA's goal.
NASA's mission is to pioneer the future in space exploration, scientific discovery and aeronautics research.
'To pioneer the future in space exploration, scientific discovery and aeronautics research' does not mean 'our mission is to colonise other planets, because Earth cannot sustain us forever and we have to leave and spread out or die'.

General Consensus is not equal to Fact. We all "thought" the Earth was flat at one point, the it was at the center of the solar system with the Sun revolving around It. Think before you post. At least my ascertion was based in knowledge I acquired legitiatemly. I have been to several NASA space centers, read a lot of their astronauts' writings, taken classes on Astronmoy, AND... took 3 seconds out of my life JUST to go to their website to prove you wrong. Nyah!
I never actually said that general consensus equals fact. I just said that "I'm pretty sure the general consensus is ...". Saying "I think most people believe that ..." isn't saying "this is fact, this is the 100% true reason for the dinosaur's extinction". So please don't imply that's what I said.

Maybe we progress to a point we evolve into pure-energy form, which has no means of "dying out" (The first law of thermodynamics).
In that case, we'd no longer be humans. We'd have evolved from humans, but we wouldn't be human, we'd be some different energy-being.

Why the nihilist attitude? Maybe within your lifetime we make some crazy breakthrough in health sciences that allows humans to live for hundreds of years, and in perfect physical form. Don't be so pessimistic! This discovery on the Moon may not impress YOU, but people like you... nothing impresses you anyway.
Just because I accept that death is a natural part of life doesn't mean I'm an anarchist or that I want to die. And I love that you feel you know me and can judge me after I've posted twice in a thread.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
'To pioneer the future in space exploration, scientific discovery and aeronautics research' does not mean 'our mission is to colonise other planets, because Earth cannot sustain us forever and we have to leave and spread out or die'.
Actually it does. Just talk to anyone that works there, they'll agree. They won't word it like that, but that's politics more than anything.

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/colonize_why_011008-3.html

This is 3 "top minds" (Dyson's a stiff read but he's also brilliant) explaining why it's either a great idea, if not imperative we eventually colonize space, the most compelling argument of which (to me) is due to impact potential of another asteroid or comet. Which segues into:

I never actually said that general consensus equals fact. I just said that "I'm pretty sure the general consensus is ...". Saying "I think most people believe that ..." isn't saying "this is fact, this is the 100% true reason for the dinosaur's extinction". So please don't imply that's what I said.
Well why did you even bring it up then? I treated your words as a rebuttal, nothing more nothing less, and as a rebuttal, it lacked logical sense. Obviously the dinosaurs didn't die out because they couldn't colonize space. But when you think about it, imagine if they could have left the planet for a few years during that supposed impact. They'd have lived on! And so too will we when our planet gets hit again, provided we've established colonies in space.

In that case, we'd no longer be humans. We'd have evolved from humans, but we wouldn't be human, we'd be some different energy-being.
Fair enough. Doesn't mean I have to subscribe to the idea that humans WILL die out. What makes you so sure? I'll be the glass-is-half-full on this one.

Just because I accept that death is a natural part of life doesn't mean I'm an anarchist or that I want to die. And I love that you feel you know me and can judge me after I've posted twice in a thread.
Actually I judge people the moment they open their mouths. And you posted in -my- thread. I just don't understand why you're so sure humans are destined for oblivion. If anything about humanity has taught us, it's that we survive, we adapt, we transcend... and we definitely don't give in to even the harshest of conditions, even death. Space, one day, will be our home, and humankind will live on through the cosmos and beyond that if there is such a thing, long after this planet, or even this solar system is gone.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Also, I really sometimes think NASA is the most elaborate money waster in humanity's history.
Well, it was established during the Cold War era, as part of the ongoing rivalry between the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. And spending money was what the Cold War was all about. You had to have more weapons than the other guy--weapons that you couldn't use or else it'd lead to MAD. So, since you couldn't use them, you just kept building more to stay ahead, and you kept spending more to build them.

The key to it was that the U.S. economic system could handle more money-wasting than the Soviet system could.

NASA is now something of a living relic. The concerns of this era are not the same as those of the last. I do wonder what the future holds for that organization.

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice
Please stop calling me a pessimist, I'm not. I just feel that it's very optimistic, to the point of delusional, to believe without a doubt that the human race will conquer the Universe and will never die out.

And regarding NASA's mission statement: "To pioneer the future in space exploration, scientific discovery and aeronautics research"

Based on that, it seems to me that their goal is to explore space and research/investigate into various areas of science, including aeronautics. That does not mean that their goal is to colonise space. Their research/discoveries may enable us to do that, but based on that statement it is not their sole purpose, as you implied it was.

As for my reasons why the human race will some day die out... I don't have any idea how, but the odds of our race surviving for eons are so small it's not a realistic possibility.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Please stop calling me a pessimist, I'm not. I just feel that it's very optimistic, to the point of delusional, to believe without a doubt that the human race will conquer the Universe and will never die out.
Not a question of if, but when. That's not pessimism? Not nihilism? Your words translate into we are all going to die anyway so why bother trying? My bad, maybe there's a better word for it, but it definitely seems like a poor way to look at the future of humanity. If we're all going to die out one day, what's the point of even living now? There's been many great authors that toil with this concept... we turn to dust, what we do during our lives is ultimately meaningless.. meh I say. That's the goth in people talking, the emo (not really implying you, though it's hard not to, lol). Sorry. You don't wear black nail polish, do you? bah I can't help it SORRY.

And regarding NASA's mission statement: "To pioneer the future in space exploration, scientific discovery and aeronautics research"

Based on that, it seems to me that their goal is to explore space and research/investigate into various areas of science, including aeronautics. That does not mean that their goal is to colonise space. Their research/discoveries may enable us to do that, but based on that statement it is not their sole purpose, as you implied it was.
Perhaps my view is a tad strong, but that's based on discussions with NASA personnel, astronomy professors, etc. Also because I find no real reason to explore space, ultimately, except for colonization. I -am- incredibly optimistic when it comes to space exploration, I live for the day when something like Star Trek becomes a reality. Not so I can enjoy the creature comforts that fictitious future awarded humanity, but because this planet is just too darn small for us, and our growth isn't stopping, in small areas yes, but on a whole our population is just getting bigger and bigger, and the planet isn't. If we don't start thinking about ways to get off this rock, and onto other rocks, we'll eventually have to start taking drastic measures to keep from dying out altogether. (China's already got the 1 child rule, others will start to think it'd be better to let the starving nations just die, etc.) This planet was not meant to sustain billions of humans, millions, sure... but billions, too many.

As for my reasons why the human race will some day die out... I don't have any idea how, but the odds of our race surviving for eons are so small it's not a realistic possibility.
Ok, well then how have you calculated these odds??

Because if we're gonna bet, I'm gonna bet that humans make it to the end of time, which some astrophysicists are now estimating to be about 50 billion years. Forget the odds, I have -hope- ... -faith- ... these things allow me to look brightly at the future of me, and of us.

greenlink

Smash Apprentice
Not a question of if, but when. That's not pessimism? Not nihilism? Your words translate into we are all going to die anyway so why bother trying? My bad, maybe there's a better word for it, but it definitely seems like a poor way to look at the future of humanity. If we're all going to die out one day, what's the point of even living now? There's been many great authors that toil with this concept... we turn to dust, what we do during our lives is ultimately meaningless.. meh I say. That's the goth in people talking, the emo (not really implying you, though it's hard not to, lol). Sorry. You don't wear black nail polish, do you? bah I can't help it SORRY.

This would make him pessimistic if he said death is something to run away from and be afraid of. In fact what he said was that he was prepared for death and he was glad that it motivates him to achieve stuff with his life. The fact about death is that it is going to get you. Even if you live to the end of the universe, death will get you. The fact that he put a positive spin on this is in fact optimistic. TL;DR: If a Buddhist accepts death is he a pessimist?

That's only considering a single life though. Considering the whole human race then maybe we will live until the end of the universe. Maybe we'll find a way to live past that. Maybe, as a race, we can live forever. But saying that doubting that is pessimistic is a bit much. It's skeptic at best lol

Ryne

Smash Cadet
Great, America has decided to mess with the laws of Nature by messing with the moon. They do realize that by doing this, natural disasters such as Tsunamis, Hurricanes, and Earthquakes are more likely to occur.

_umbra_

Smash Champion
Great, America has decided to mess with the laws of Nature by messing with the moon. They do realize that by doing this, natural disasters such as Tsunamis, Hurricanes, and Earthquakes are more likely to occur.
So far it's been looking pretty unlikely that the world is going to end in 2012, so our government is being proactive and making sure it lives up to the hype.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I hope this post (and others like it) are all in jest.

_umbra_

Smash Champion
I'm dead serious, the government is planning to put the rumors about 2012 into motion. They're building a moon base so that the elite can survive and continue our species, which explains why they were looking for water. Now giant moon tsunamis are going to destroy every coastal city within two years, and huge earthquakes and such are going to destroy every land settlement. By December 12, 2012, there won't be a living human left on earth. The apocalypse is upon us, gentlemen. Live the rest of your lives to the fullest, because you don't have much time left.

Also, none of this would have been a problem if you all didn't vote for Obama. Great job guys ^_^

person701

Smash Journeyman
Worst case scenario Skull Kid tries to pull it down on our heads and we have to go wake up a bunch of giants to toss it back up there.

Pretty sure that was on the Discovery Channel or something.

Remember what happened when we ****ed with the Moon last time?
Ahh, good ol' SmashBoards. Where we can explain scientific actions with Nintendo logic.

Knowing mans luck, we probably did just cause a problem in the looong run. I mean, yea sure, we blasted some rocks away and found 32 gallons of water but the moon habitable? Seems like it would just be an excuse to reduce Earth's population... or experiment with space colony life (Star Fox/Metroid/F-Zero life FTW).

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
The way you make it sound, NASA is going to nuke the moon to see what kind of rocks there is :laugh:

Nonetheless, you have to consider that NASA is pretty thorough on these missions. They will not risk having moon debris falling down on Earth because once someone gets hurt, their program would face persecution. These are Top Scientists working, they must know what they're planning.
The same could be said about Einstein, and the team that made the atom bomb.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I'm dead serious, the government is planning to put the rumors about 2012 into motion. They're building a moon base so that the elite can survive and continue our species, which explains why they were looking for water. Now giant moon tsunamis are going to destroy every coastal city within two years, and huge earthquakes and such are going to destroy every land settlement. By December 12, 2012, there won't be a living human left on earth. The apocalypse is upon us, gentlemen. Live the rest of your lives to the fullest, because you don't have much time left.

Also, none of this would have been a problem if you all didn't vote for Obama. Great job guys ^_^
LOL! Right on... my wife is a very strong believer in the end-times dealings of the bush administration, and particularly Bush himself. I'd not go into myself cause I don't really follow all that jazz, too complex... but she was convinced that Bush literally thought he was a major player in the so-called end of days myth as interpreted in the book of revelation. Now this 2012 has come up, and everyone's like oh yeah, the Mayan calender ends then and blah blah... woooow. haha well we'll see if this new movie 2012 is a total flop or not, I hate disaster movies anyway, but especially ones that try to make us fear a particular date, like all that hype back in '99. As for if the moon discovery leads to colony for safe haven from end times... phew, well that's scary if its true, but if that's the case F hiding on Earth my *** is gonna find a way onto that Moon.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'm pretty sure the world will end in 2012, I mean, that's when London is hosting the Olympic Games.

You don't need to be a psychic to predict absolute disaster there.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Really? And I'm thinking of going too... doh! Maybe I shouldn't. I dunno tho, I love london, and I've always wanted to go to the Olympic games and it just seems like the right time in my life to do that kinda thing... but you could be right... hrm.

Mewter

Smash Master
I'm thinking of staying home, hiding for the most part during the week around December 12, 2012. I'm dead serious. There will most positively be tons of maniacs running around trying to "save" others from the apocalypse. :urg:

M@v

Subarashii!
I think if the world ends in 2012, it will be caused by extremists thinking the world will end in 2012 and by them trying to prevent it.

That would be the most ironic thing ever.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I think I've posted this before, but fun fact: December 21st, 2012 will be my 6th wedding anniversary.

I think the idea of colonizing the moon is great. Not for any imperial reasons, but just as a testament to man's abilities and our desire to push ourselves further and to expand the realm of what is possible for us. And as long as we've found water, I'm having fun entertaining the idea that someday, MAYBE we'll find life on the moon. Even if it's just a few microbes, it would be one of the greatest discoveries in human history. It may seem unlikely now, but hey, ten years ago we agreed there was no water on the moon. Who knows what we'll be saying in 2019?

M@v

Subarashii!
I think I've posted this before, but fun fact: December 21st, 2012 will be my 6th wedding anniversary.

I think the idea of colonizing the moon is great. Not for any imperial reasons, but just as a testament to man's abilities and our desire to push ourselves further and to expand the realm of what is possible for us. And as long as we've found water, I'm having fun entertaining the idea that someday, MAYBE we'll find life on the moon. Even if it's just a few microbes, it would be one of the greatest discoveries in human history. It may seem unlikely now, but hey, ten years ago we agreed there was no water on the moon. Who knows what we'll be saying in 2019?
But we will all be dead then (j/k j/k)

The discovery of extra-terrestrial life will be the biggest discovery of mankind imo.

Also, from the looks of it, I'll be graduating college December 2012. Lol.

Top Bottom