• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We are INVADERS, from SPACE! The Space Invaders Support Thread

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I think the really cool thing about the Space Invaders is that, if they were added, they would in all likelihood be the only character from the 1970s in the Smash roster.

I can't think of any of any other games from that decade that could feasibly lend a fighter to the game.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Oh right, I probably should've posted that TAITO is showing something on the 18th:

This could be it for either SI or Lara Croft (or both, there are 2 slots left after all).

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
Oh right, I probably should've posted that TAITO is showing something on the 18th:

This could be it for either SI or Lara Croft (or both, there are 2 slots left after all).
There will be unspecified games from Taito. Mmm... So we can hope that there will be more announcements than the release of the new game Pocky & Rocky.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Smash newcomers are only announced at Nintendo-related events. They would never confirm a new character at another company’s presentation.

LordOfSpade

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I just figured that I should share my moveset idea for Space Invaders here. Just a warning, I put a lot of detail in designing this idea, so it's pretty lengthy. Hope you enjoy it!

Update: I came back here to find that the original images I shared were broken, so I decided to Here's the original album I posted onto my Facebook page, just in case this happens again. I also have a few other movesets posted there, but that's besides the point.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Hey guys, I just figured that I should share my moveset idea for Space Invaders here. Just a warning, I put a lot of detail in designing this idea, so it's pretty lengthy. Hope you enjoy it!

Nice work! There’s a couple things I would consider though:

If the Invaders retain their classic 8-bit look in Smash, I would give them a black outline so that they can be easily distinguished on screen. Given their small sizes, they should have something that would help them in visibility when they’re on stages that are extremely huge or mostly white (in the case of their default appearance).

I can’t imagine the series icon being anything other than the “crab-like” alien. It’s one of the most famous icons in video game history and is even one of the main representative logos for Taito themselves.

9815F86C-7FB7-4AA2-984B-A8A7EF205D6C.jpeg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If the series would get a medley at all, Yusuke Takahama would be perfect for it. He already did wonders for Galaga and the DK arcade games.

Smash newcomers are only announced at Nintendo-related events. They would never confirm a new character at another company’s presentation.
That's what I kept trying to tell Steve fans (though we got him anyway).

I think the really cool thing about the Space Invaders is that, if they were added, they would in all likelihood be the only character from the 1970s in the Smash roster.

I can't think of any of any other games from that decade that could feasibly lend a fighter to the game.
Yeah, not to mention that if the retro character route is taken for the final character, Space Invaders would fit that handily.

This reminds me that Space Invaders has enough potential not to have to resort to a "Taito roulette". I'm also relieved that Pac-Man's Galaxian View attachment 298806 has a different move than SI.
Personally, I would prefer that the humanoid shadow to be just a low-key concept, because it originated is a visual promotion but wasn't part of the first game. Most of the other proposals are similar, so I guess all the supporters would get something they wanted to see.

View attachment 298818View attachment 298819View attachment 298815View attachment 298817
Special moves by masshi_bros.
Why not have the shadow be an assist like Zelda's Phantom Armor?

I don't think Sephiroth changes the chances for Space Invaders only because Taito as a brand operates seperately from Square Enix.
If the CacoMallow leak has any truth to it (somehow), I guess that the Mallow Mii hat could theoretically arrive in a Space Invaders pack.

If not that, there's plenty enough content from Taito to get Mii stuff, especially Bub and Bob.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
If the series would get a medley at all, Yusuke Takahama would be perfect for it. He already did wonders for Galaga and the DK arcade games.

That's what I kept trying to tell Steve fans (though we got him anyway).

Yeah, not to mention that if the retro character route is taken for the final character, Space Invaders would fit that handily.

Why not have the shadow be an assist like Zelda's Phantom Armor?

If the CacoMallow leak has any truth to it (somehow), I guess that the Mallow Mii hat could theoretically arrive in a Space Invaders pack.

If not that, there's plenty enough content from Taito to get Mii stuff, especially Bub and Bob.
Can’t wait for Space invader fanarts murdering Mallow if that happens

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
This is a proposal of original, complete and coherent ideas. I was very happy to discover it before. A big thank-you.
I think it's a good thing to have explored the idea of a fighter divided into three corps, in order to know what it would be possible to do, either by keeping the Rule of Three, or by converting the ideas for a single alien. For example, the idea of formations is proposed here; this concept would seem essential to represent the original game, whatever the form of the Fighter.

5/8 of the different designs I saw used the Bunker / Barrier Shield. I'd rather Space Invaders didn't have any special defensive options. In my opinion, they should be 100% aggressive, so aggressive that they would sometimes become suicidal.

If I had to evolve the idea, I would make sure that each of the 3 aliens could be ejected like Nana, but they could come back slowly while flying or by spontaneous replacement after several seconds.

Ornl

Smash Ace
According to Taito.Eng, Sakurai "smashed" Darius
TaitoCorp tweeted: It turns out that Masahiro Sakurai, creator of Kirby and Smash Brothers, is actually really good at Darius! All 26 bosses, smashed! Taito.*** didn't say something about this. Come to think of it, Kirby's Dream Land was referring to Gradius (Konami, 1985) / Darius (Taito, 87), like Mario Land 1.

Capcom dominates more
Capcom is the 3rd-party company the most represented. Now only 1 another Fighter with 4 new Costumes from Sega or Square Enix would be the way not to let Capcom dominate the 3rd-party representation.
CompaniesFightersAT/BossMii
Costumes
Spirit Board
events
TotalTotal owned seriesother: Spirits
Sega348-15456
Capcom368320572
Square Enix3-8+Geno315546

Space Invaders would be the most likely pick from Square Enix
Crono, Sora, Lara Croft and 2B no longer seem possible IMO. Hero already represents all the heroes from fantasy-JRPGs. The fact that Lloyd is absent and that Sephiroth is present would strongly confirm this point. FP2 already has two 100% female characters and, recently, Lara Croft has already become a DLC in Brawlala and Fortnite, and 2B has already become a DLC in SoulCalibur VI. SI would be a different proposition as an icon from Taito that is non-human(oid), toon and Gunner.

Space Invaders would be the most likely pick from toons
I love that Smash offers style diversity.
From Nintendo non-echo Fighters, there are almost as many toons as there are non-toons.
From 3rd-Party, 5/14 are toons. Arthur, Bomberman, Cuphead, Geno, Goemon, Rabbid, Rayman, Sans, Shantae, Shovel Knight and new Sonic reps didn't succeed. Who would be a better choice than Bomberman, Rayman and Sans ? I think Crash wouldn't be better, and that Nintendo would be capable of creating unexpected surprises.

If he was planned, SI couldn't be anything other than a Fighter
Appearing as an Assist Trophee or Stage is unplanned.
Appearing as a Spirit Boards Event would keep SI less important than Galaxian and Sheriff, and this process wouldn't promote a new game.
Appearing as the Mii Hat would look poor after the Gunner Costumes for Sans, Cuphead, and Vault Boy.

Space Invaders would be a similar case to Terry
In the Fighter Passes, Joker, Hero, Steve, and Sephiroth point to trends/sales, Banjo-Kazooie and Terry are different. Taito no longer makes hugely hit games from its owned series. SI wouldn't be as important as Joker, Hero, Steve and Sephiroth, but rather as important as Terry, so the only way for SI to come in DLC would to have preferential and honorary treatment similar to Terry.

Costume pack would be a similar case to Banjo-Kazooie
I don't see any series other than Bubble Bobble coming with SI, not even NieR or Tomb Raider. Besides Bub & Bob, Costumes from Square Enix would be probable, but there would be no concrete necessity. SI wouldn't need to be accompanied. The Costumes he would release wouldn't allow Square Enix to expand its representation, but it would allow it to accommodate other series. He's just the type of fighter who could bring Lloyd Costume with him.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Sakurai hinted a space invader rep for smash????
I remember the Post about the Monado and the erdrick sheild with Kirby before we got Shulk and Hero in smash
Sakurai typically doesn't hint characters, especially not in an obvious way like this

Ornl

Smash Ace
Sakurai has been using Space Invaders for several years without causing much reaction, including in a tweet about Color TV-Game 15 in Smash.
Indeed, why would people react? Wouldn't SI "just a sprite"? Wouldn't SI "make more sense as an assist trophy"?
So Sakurai could have used Space Invaders again, possibly for fun, knowing that it don't cause much reaction.

4=invader.png

:p

LordOfSpade

Smash Rookie
Sakurai hinted a space invader rep for smash????
I remember the Post about the Monado and the erdrick sheild with Kirby before we got Shulk and Hero in smash
The post with Erdrick's Shield was done by Kumazaki, not Sakurai. It was pretty much just a coincidence that it ended up correlating with Smash's DLC.

Ornl

Smash Ace
[Support] The ultimate finisher
fp2final.png

Alpha and Omega

Nintendo is what it is thanks to Space Invaders. It was the game that obsessively motivated the company to go into the video game business.*
Today, SI can represent all the video games portal (at least, the video game history) on its own as a pixelated graphic.
Smash would be inconsistent if Nintendo chooses to value Duck Hunt, Sheriff, Pac-Man, and Galaga on one side while totally excluding Space Invaders on the other.

Compatibility with the "surprising retro character" common thread
Previous "finishers" have often been surprising retro characters.
Melee – Mr. G&W is (1980) as the final newcomer.
Brawl – R.O.B. is (1985) as the final Nintendo newcomer.
Sm4sh – Duck Hunt is (1984) as the final Nintendo basic newcomer.
Sm4sh – Pac-Man is (1980) as the final 3rd-party basic newcomer.
Ultimate – Piranha Plant is (1985) as the final Nintendo non-FP newcomer.

Unexpected
SI would be a 2th Square Enix rep within one FP. But it would be very different.
The series hasn't had a new hit for 40 years. But Taito continue to work.
Crab is especially a sprite. But animating (and modeling?) the alien(s) might be a new challenge (different from Sheriff) for Sakurai's team.

Diversity
SI has similar physical properties to Piranha Plant rarely seen in DLC (generic enemy, non-human, toon, genreless).
Among the third-party reps, it would represent a different genre.
It would bring something new by having an evolving speed, flood abilities to harass, or a 3 bodies hit box.

The major problem
Sakurai has referred to SI a lot (too many ?). So there could be two possibilities:
• Sakurai would know that mentioning SI doesn't elicit a lot of reactions because the character isn't expected, so he would have fun teasing it.
• Nintendo would have other marketing priorities, so Sakurai would make his own personal recognition by paying homage in his own way.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Compatibility with the "surprising retro character" common thread
Previous "finishers" have often been surprising retro characters.
Melee – Mr. G&W is (1980) as the final newcomer.
Brawl – R.O.B. is (1985) as the final Nintendo newcomer.
Sm4sh – Duck Hunt is (1984) as the final Nintendo basic newcomer.
Sm4sh – Pac-Man is (1980) as the final 3rd-party basic newcomer.
Ultimate – Piranha Plant is (1985) as the final Nintendo non-FP newcomer.
I mean, this part is making a lot of leaps to find how they can be considered the last character.

Ornl

Smash Ace
[Cognitive bias] Square Enix is late
Among all the companies which have at least 1 Fighter, Square Enix is the least represented. Bamco, Sega and Squenix didn't get any new series represented by Costumes. Moreover, Geno is part of the Mario series. So Squenix is represented half as much as the others. However this company has other very important series in store: Kingdom Hearts, NieR, Tomb Raider and Space Invaders.

Series per company (Fighters and Mii Costumes)
series per company.png

[Amiibo] Sell a different alien
In the figure market, the pixelated crab from Space Invaders already appears at Totaku and Funko Pop. In order for Nintendo to sell a possible figurine that is different, Space Invaders would then have to either be a multiple Fighter or be modeled without pixels/vexels.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
[Cognitive bias] Square Enix is late
Among all the companies which have at least 1 Fighter, Square Enix is the least represented. Bamco, Sega and Squenix didn't get any new series represented by Costumes. Moreover, Geno is part of the Mario series. So Squenix is represented half as much as the others. However this company has other very important series in store: Kingdom Hearts, NieR, Tomb Raider and Space Invaders.

Series per company (Fighters and Mii Costumes)
View attachment 321094

[Amiibo] Sell a different alien
In the figure market, the pixelated crab from Space Invaders already appears at Totaku and Funko Pop. In order for Nintendo to sell a possible figurine that is different, Space Invaders would then have to either be a multiple Fighter or be modeled without pixels/vexels.
Doesn't Ubisoft only have two costumes?
Also, how can a costume compare at all to a character- of which Squeenix has three?
Ken doesnt cpunt for anything?
Are numbers real?

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
Doesn't Ubisoft only have two costumes?
Also, how can a costume compare at all to a character- of which Squeenix has three?
Ken doesnt cpunt for anything?
Are numbers real?
The subject is: "among all the companies which have at least 1 Fighter" focused on the number of "series per compagny".

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
How would y’all feel if they used the monster from the arcade illustration as to represent the Space Invaders? While I know the alien sprites are much more iconic, it‘s possible that, in Sakurai’s eyes, it might be extremely difficult in conceptualizing a believable moveset + animations for the aliens in their sprite form. He tends to work with action figures and such for character concepts, and conveniently enough there’s an actual figma figure for the Space Invader monster that he could use.

I think it would be pretty awesome to play as another truly monstrous character, but I just wonder how they would be able to faithfully adapt it from the original arcade game.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
How would y’all feel if they used the monster from the arcade illustration as to represent the Space Invaders? While I know the alien sprites are much more iconic, it‘s possible that, in Sakurai’s eyes, it might be extremely difficult in conceptualizing a believable moveset + animations for the aliens in their sprite form. He tends to work with action figures and such for character concepts, and conveniently enough there’s an actual figma figure for the Space Invader monster that he could use.

I think it would be pretty awesome to play as another truly monstrous character, but I just wonder how they would be able to faithfully adapt it from the original arcade game.
Not as the main fighter, that would defeat half of the reason I want SI, but in grabs or Smash attacks like Peach's Toad or a jojo stand would be fine.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

It’s unrecognizable I don’t think anyone who would see this will even know it’s from Space Invader.
If we are getting 2D spaceship shooting genre rep I don’t see anyone else besides the original Space invader and CATS from Zero wing (published by taito) which is basically a space invader as well and recognizable.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The subject is: "among all the companies which have at least 1 Fighter" focused on the number of "series per compagny".
Then I still don't understand- in addition to only listing some costumes, who in their right mind thinks a costume is anywhere near the level of a character...of which Square has 3 FULLY UNIQUE ones (something that no other company can say, without resorting to secondary companies that the main company owns). Square has the most content in Smash out of all third parties.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Then I still don't understand- in addition to only listing some costumes, who in their right mind thinks a costume is anywhere near the level of a character...of which Square has 3 FULLY UNIQUE ones (something that no other company can say, without resorting to secondary companies that the main company owns). Square has the most content in Smash out of all third parties.
My "cognitive bias" only considers the number of third-party series represented by Fighter and Costumes.
I made this arbitrary choice because the DLC adds new 3rd-party series specifically through Fighters and Costume Packs.
If you think I forgot any 3rd-party series, feel free to name which.

Among all the 3rd-party series represented by Fighters and Costumes:
• There is no new series from Bamco.
• The Capcom series are the most numerous.
• Persona is the only new series from Sega.

Dragon Quest is the only new series from Squenix.
• The Squenix series are least numerous.
Ignoring Super Mario RPG because it's part of the Mario series, the Squenix series are half as many as the Bamco/Konami/Sega/SNK/Microsoft series.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Actually Duck hunt is from 1976 basically the oldest character in smash but started as a gun toy

LordOfSpade

Smash Rookie
Actually Duck hunt is from 1976 basically the oldest character in smash but started as a gun toy
Huh, I actually never knew that. I guess that also means they technically didn't originate in a video game, but that rule only really applies to third party characters anyways.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
My "cognitive bias" only considers the number of third-party series represented by Fighter and Costumes.
I made this arbitrary choice because the DLC adds new 3rd-party series specifically through Fighters and Costume Packs.
If you think I forgot any 3rd-party series, feel free to name which.

Among all the 3rd-party series represented by Fighters and Costumes:
• There is no new series from Bamco.
• The Capcom series are the most numerous.
• Persona is the only new series from Sega.

Dragon Quest is the only new series from Squenix.
• The Squenix series are least numerous.
Ignoring Super Mario RPG because it's part of the Mario series, the Squenix series are half as many as the Bamco/Konami/Sega/SNK/Microsoft series.
I'm confused.

Let me make sure I'm getting this straight.
You are only counting new series represented in Ultimate
And new costumes from a repped series dont count as multiple
But multiple full characters from the same series DO count
SNK counts as other
And Squeenix being the only single company that has three unique characters doesnt matter

Is that all correct?

I think I figured out the conversation.
There may be fewer Squeeniz SERIES represented- but as far as content itself, Square Enix is most represented.

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
I'm confused.

Let me make sure I'm getting this straight.
You are only counting new series represented in Ultimate
And new costumes from a repped series dont count as multiple
But multiple full characters from the same series DO count
SNK counts as other
And Squeenix being the only single company that has three unique characters doesnt matter

Is that all correct?

I think I figured out the conversation.
There may be fewer Squeeniz SERIES represented- but as far as content itself, Square Enix is most represented.
I guess so.

Without considering the music nor the background characters in the KOF Stadium, SNK is represented by 4 series created between 1991 to 1994 (Fatal Fury ft. Terry, Art of Fighting ft. Ryo, Samurai Shodown ft. Nakoruru, and The King of Fighters ft. Iori). This was sound like a special treatment to strengthen a partnership.

Smash seems to have a marketing dimension to strengthen alliances with other companies. Unlike simple crossover picks in Fortnite and Fall Guys, Nintendo seems to be following a business plan with new strategies to prosper better in the future. In this, Nintendo seems to me to have made some excellent choices which I respectfully admire. In the latest DLC, I would like Nintendo to strengthen any alliance with any third party company again.
If Taito wasn't part of Square Enix, then I would consider that Nintendo would be right to favor more important companies. Considering that Space Invaders is owned by Squenix, then I think this pick would be a good strategic choice, among other possibilities of course.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I never thought I'd ever say this, but the Space Invaders Funko Pop is a really good reference as to how it could look in Smash.

I'd say combine those dimensions with the glow and texture from the road safety PSA and you've got the perfect SI Smash design.

Had a go at designing an SI Smash sprite - specifically an uppercut to be used as an up tilt or up air. It was very tough to 1. keep Crab on-model so it didn't look like a public domain alternative, and 2. make it clear which area is attacking while using a single frame with barely any pixels. Making overlap points between limbs and the body grey helped a lot.

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
Yes, the design by Pop figure is a success,
while the design by Totaku and Taito figures in SI: Counter Attack are fails.

totaku crab.png
counter attack crab.png

Totaku figure / Taito figure in SI: Counter Attack

As the Pop figure proves, it's viable to create a better relief effect on the crab.
Choosing to make 3D Invader would be easy for the SB development team.

vexel crab.png

But... Sakurai likes new challenges, doesn't he? Wouldn't 3D modeling be too easy?
Aliens are the first monster sprites in the video game history. The real challenge would be to return to the fundamental origins of the technical constraints of pixel art. The original design had to be minimalist. There was a contract between the game and the player where he was free to imagine details that don't appear on a sprite's character.
About the animation in Smash, it's different, because there would be a need to create a large sprite sheet. It would be a very unique job for the development team, and it would have to pay tribute to the work created by Tomohiro Nishikado. This creator could even give ideas and opinions. Anyway, it would be fine with me if the crab is in one color, although sometimes an arm becomes invisible.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Atari representation in Smash would be interesting. Count me in! Space Invaders IS from Atari, right?
No, Taito. An affiliate of Square Enix.

I can understand the confusion though, publishers taking full credit for games was industry standard at the time SI came out - if it weren't for the Namco Museum compilations I think a lot of people would think Pac-Man is Warner Bros. too.

Top Bottom