• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedashing in Brawl... (Hacked version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Lee: Could you list the necessities to use this hack on the front page? I'm interested in trying this out, but I have no idea what you need besides something called the homebrew channel :p
The Homebrew Channel + Gecko OS 1.07 or Ocarina.

To download the Homebrew Channel you need an SD card, SD card reader and a copy of Twilight Princess (you can just rent it if you want). Google instructions on how to install it. I think this site called "WiiHD" has a zip file with everything you need for the Homebrew Channel in it.

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
Agreed, mostly.

L-cancelling is cool but laggy aerials are laggy for a reason, but I suppose L/R-Cancelling wouldn't be bad.

Hitstun was on my mind when I posted what I posted, combo ability is probably one of the last major steps to a Melee 2.0.

I'm not clear on the difference between moonwalking and wavedashing.
:]

Moonwalking is taking the momentum from your forward dash, and bringing it backwards (basically making you move backwards, but your animation is running forward. Hence "moonwalking" :]).
Using the moonwalk can blow some peoples minds, be a better edgeguard; also it increases the range your backwards jump goes/has.
youtube a captain falcon moonwalking video. :] You'll see.

-Nox`

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Wavedashing can't save Brawl.
Now hack it to increase speed and include L-canceling and we might just have a real game on our hands.
dear sweet mother of joe pesci, what do you people do all day? just sit around and wait to complain? i love brawl and i love melee, but for love of all that is holy in this world can you guys shut the hell up finally?

yes, this is meant to be used for FUN. it's a hack to mess around with the game. this thread is meant for nothing more than "dag yo that is some sweet crap!"

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
somebody record every character doing this please lol

also whats up with the luigi spotdodging like every time he does it in that video haha

Kirio

Smash Apprentice

also whats up with the luigi spotdodging like every time he does it in that video haha
Yeah, he doesn't do it EVERY time though, so it may be possible to do one or the other depending on your timing, which would be a very cool variation imho

JacobWins

Smash Journeyman
Which is exactly why it freezes. What's odd though is that characters like ZZS, Snake and Sonic having helpless falling animations. They must have been taken out of the game.
Your right, I didn't realize how many characters didn't have one

What about Ike and Snake?

EDIT: Ike's side B makes him helplessly fall

JacobWins

Smash Journeyman
^.^ I only edited once

Also the transition from airdodging to ''helplessly falling'' looks kind of odd.

I suppose helplessly falling is what we call it now unless theres already a term for it

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
To reply to Maikeru17 in the other thread:

I dunno, because before Brawl's release I had spent a good long time, almost a year, trying to become a competetive Smasher. I never got to go to any tournies and I still havn't, but I did spend a lot of time trying out wavedashing, and it's easy enough to do. The only problem is, I can't put it seamlessly into my play, and I've been trying for so long, and even when I do put it into play, there are times I mess up. Times I shield before I can jump, or times I jump too high and then leave myself open with freefalling. L-Cancelling on the othe hand I'm fine at, but only with aerials that have really long recoveries (Like Link's DownA...) and when I use it in other moves I always end up hitting it too late and shielding instead.

I dunno, maybe I had been playing Melee for so long before I discovered the competetive scene that it was hard to change my playing habit, or maybe I just suck at ATs. If I'm ever going to be good, (as in really good) it'll probably be in the way Aniki does it. Without ATs anyway.

I personally find Brawl more fun to play than Melee, and I completely understand the competetive problem with Brawl, but I don't want limited air dodging for the sake of something that I never really enjoyed doing in the first place. The whole "wavedash is the only way to win" thing made it feel really forced, infact it was the reason I left SWF for a few months. I dunno, maybe the competetive scene just isn't for me.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
More like "if a game doesn't have the ability to wavedash, and a player can beat you on Brawl but they couldn't beat you on Melee due to your wavedashing, they may even be a more skilled player than you minus the wavedashing".

Because I'm pretty sure I'm not awful. I might even be good. I just suck at wavedashing. Wheras I would probably lose to most members on this board who wavedash in Melee, I may not lose in Brawl.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
tl;dr, "I can't use wavedashing, so nobody should."
That sounded kind of condescending. You may not have meant it that way, but it came off like that.

This is not specific to you, but rather a general statement on the whole melee vs. brawl thing. We all know melee is a more competitive and technical game. As a disclaimer, I myself was never a technical player in melee. Heck, I didn't even know I could short hop until early this year. However, I have studied melee and its workings since brawls release, because I don't want to sound like an idiot whenever melee is mentioned. I treat melee like a historian studies the past. Its never as good as true firsthand experience, but at least it gives me some knowledge, and I have started to learn several of the techniques in melee so I at least know what I'm talking about. So on to the point of my post, I'm kind of tired of people hating on brawl so much. Melee was there, and its time is coming to an end, especially as several of the better and older players move on to other things in their lives. Brawl has opened up the game immensely, allowing much more people to become "competitive', at least in brawl terms, so I can see where Superlink is coming from. I've played smash ever since the very first Smash Bros was released(actually got the game almost right after release), and yet never was into the competitive scene. I played melee more frequently than any other videogame(and I played rather frequently), and still nothing competitive or even technical. What brawl has done is that almost by fundamental nature, it allows several more people to be more competitive. And you know what, you can almost irrevocably argue that melee is the more competitive and technical game, but you would have a much harder time arguing that its a BETTER game. Just the fact that brawl has so many more characters, stages, much more great music pieces, a better one player mode, WiFi, and other things, make brawl a more fun game for many of us, and alllows us to be more competitive. Will the best players still be the best? Of course.

So yea. That was a mini-pointless thing about brawl vs melee, lol.

Anyways, so wait. Can Sonic use aerials out of his freefall animation like he can after his upb? or does it render him totally unnable to attack like most other chars' animation after their upB?

bobson

Smash Lord
A good player can beat a wavedasher without wavedashing themselves. It's just a mildly better way of walking.

Maybe you just aren't good at Melee.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Lol, I'm just curious as to what the Sonic wave dash is like XD.

Also, by the looks of it, at some point in brawls history, someone will hold a hacked version tourney thats essental like, Brawlee. =/ Although I suppose it could be fun for once or twice. But lee is right in that this is supposed to be something just for fun.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I'd like to see that vid of TL L-cancelling, although he doesn't have much landing lag with many attacks besides Dair.

Also, how would this affect the metagame if this was implemented. It would be near impossible to even beat my own main because of bair combos.
I don't know. Unless the game is changed overall Wavedashing would just break the game.

JacobWins

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure wavedashing couldnt hurt the game TOO much it just kinda looks like it because luigi is such a floaty/slippery character.

Though a campy zelda might end up being god tier. one airdodge versus her ability to spam dins fire so much could be broken

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
Definitely will be using this. Now maybe my friends will finally learn to enjoy Brawl with me. T___T They stopped playing once they realized L-cancelling and wavedashing were so important to them having fun. WELL NOW THEY CAN!

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I think sakurai just seeing how violently some people have reacted to brawls lack of technicalness might lead to him purposefully making SSB4 at least slightly more technical, while trying to keep the "fun" in the game. I hope so anyways. But yea. Can't wait to see what this looks like with other chars. I don't want a melee 2.0, but this is entertaining.

Falcord

Smash Apprentice
Doesn't anybody else fear Lucario?

He's floaty as hell, so 1 mile wavedashes + aura sphere....

Wow

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord

gimpy seems interested. has all hell broken loose!!?? lol if you load this as well as the no tripping hack, brawl wont be able to handle it.

Crow!

Smash Lord
Wavedashing can't save Brawl.
Brawl doesn't need to be saved. This is just another curiosity.

BTW, is there a version of the code which doesn't cause the Up+B recovery state to be induced? I rather like having multiple air dodges.

Also, wouldn't canceling an air dodge with Zair be broken as currently implemented? Admittedly the characters who can Zair could use the help, but picture Samus doing this:

Jump
Airdodge up
Zair
Airdodge up
Zair
Double jump
Airdodge up
Zair
Airdodge up
Zair
Waveland

While non-Zair characters just can't air dodge more than once, and every time they air dodge they put themselves at severe risk.

BTW, what happens if someone throws an item during the earliest phase of the air dodge? For example, Peach pulls out a turnip, jumps and air dodges up and then immediately presses up-Z to cancel the air dodge with a throw?

Also, does Phantom Wings have a website? I couldn't find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom