• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

wave dashin in brawl

JJC

Smash Cadet
If you're worried about how it could be removed without removing air dodge itself, it's simple. Just remove the lack of friction that plagues Melee so badly (everyone slides except a select few) and make air dodge not be canceled by hitting the ground (same way it doesn't cancel when you air dodge at a wall).

tect

Smash Journeyman
i don't want to read through 19 pages but...

it was my understanding that wavedashing exists because the game doesn't want you air dodging through the floor and falling into the pit

SiegK

Smash Champion
Huntington Beach, SoCal. Wanna Smash? PM me.
i don't want to read through 19 pages but...

it was my understanding that wavedashing exists because the game doesn't want you air dodging through the floor and falling into the pit
True. But wavedashing exists because the graphic for an air dodge is skipped and u are automatically sent to a standing position and depending on that characters traction sends you far or short. Done.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Was there any reason for this to be bumped up, SiegK?

I'm neutral on wave dashing. For the competitive players it can be in, I don't really care either way, though. It doesn't effect me.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
To those who keep saying that Nintendo will remove all things not meant to be in the Melee from Brawl... remember one thing;

Z-canceling was never meant for SSB64 and yet it was still in SSBM just its effectiveness was changed a bit.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
To those who keep saying that Nintendo will remove all things not meant to be in the Melee from Brawl... remember one thing;

Z-canceling was never meant for SSB64 and yet it was still in SSBM just its effectiveness was changed a bit.
You have a point. Anyways, just let this topic die. There have already been threads about this.

D.B

Smash Ace
Well we all know the physics of smash and why you wavedash and how, so why would they work to change all those physics to just take out a wavedash. I doubt they'd think of that as an accomplishement, so theres really no reason to take it out.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Right you are. The only reason that this discussion continues to go on is because some people fail to recognize that fact.

There's just no good reason to remove it from the game. Duh.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Its not confirmed, it could be some sort of wing-character exclusive dodge, besides he "wavedashed" and turned around, and even tough warios Fist was used, the hitbox would have hitted him, yet it didn't...

iMichael

Smash Lord
I was just wonderin if anyone knew if wave dashing was in brawl. Some people say that it is and some people say that it is not. So I don't know what to believe.
dont believe anything you hear until either A) the dojo reveals it or B) the dojo reveals it or C) the dojo reveals it or D) you actually do it...which wont be til Dec 4, 2007 +

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
lol.the 1st thing im gonna do when i get the game is just go to VS mode and play a LVL 1 CPU and see if i can wavedash,etc

i just wanna know that b4 anything else =/

Xaron Fisk

Smash Journeyman
some people claim to have seen wavedashing...i dunno personally. the are a few pics with characters apparently air dodging...but i'm not gonna to jump to conclusions

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
They cant take it out. If there is Air Dodging, there will be Wave Dashing.
Wait, why do you think wavedashing is the aftermath of air dodging? It isn't the actual air dodging, it's a small error in the physics of it in the game. That's all.

SiD

Smash Master
Indeed, and Brawl has a new engine. So assuming it will come back is kinda dumb really, because nobody knows at this point how similar the new and old engines are.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
Wait, why do you think wavedashing is the aftermath of air dodging? It isn't the actual air dodging, it's a small error in the physics of it in the game. That's all.
no it isnt...if it was it would only exist in version 1.0 but since it also exists in 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2...it isnt a glitch...

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
Or the creators didn't know about it. I didnt find out until a year ago. Besides, my 1.2 glitches from time to time.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
It's just a thing that people abused, the creators didn't know it was there. The new Havok Engine will remove it hastily, so unless it's programed in manually, WD wont be returning.

red stone

Smash Ace
this is soooo stupid!!!! i'm tired of people thinking that this new engine will get rid of wavedashing. obviously, if air dodging will stay in the game (which it probably will) then you can't change wavedashing. wavedashing is not a glitch!!! it works differently than a glitch because it isn't one. it's just using the momentum of a move. no physics engine can stop it because the move exists. you would have to deliberately program the game to stop momentum once you hit the ground to prevent wavedashing. and if you did that, you would break the game even worse as the new technique called ground stalling/canceling would be created. just live with wavedashing and move on folks.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
this is soooo stupid!!!! i'm tired of people thinking that this new engine will get rid of wavedashing. obviously, if air dodging will stay in the game (which it probably will) then you can't change wavedashing. wavedashing is not a glitch!!! it works differently than a glitch because it isn't one. it's just using the momentum of a move. no physics engine can stop it because the move exists. you would have to deliberately program the game to stop momentum once you hit the ground to prevent wavedashing. and if you did that, you would break the game even worse as the new technique called ground stalling/canceling would be created. just live with wavedashing and move on folks.
Pssst, it's the Havok Engines job to stop "Physics Abuse".

It lays down a set of rules that the game has to follow. If suddenly someone goes sliding across the ground in an unrealistic way, it's going to go ballistic and remove it. Infact, it wont "stop" it, just remove the momentum on the ground, but keep it on the walls.

That's the Havok Engines job. So like I said, WD wont be included, unless manually added.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
You know the havoc engine could just be used to apply to certain parts of the game. It does not mean that it is gonna fix little physics issues. Sonic and the Secret Rings used the PhysX for only specific parts of the game and still had a lot of weird issues with the actual game's physics.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
You know the havoc engine could just be used to apply to certain parts of the game. It does not mean that it is gonna fix little physics issues. Sonic and the Secret Rings used the PhysX for only specific parts of the game and still had a lot of weird issues with the actual game's physics.
..And if this issue somehow manages to avoid the engine, and all the months of playtesting, it'll be swiftly removed if it wasn't manually added, and gives players an unfair advantage.

That's what the Wii's Automatic Update System is for.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
If it gives players an unfair advantage... which is something that wavedashing in melee didn't really do. So if there is a game-breaking physics glitch I am sure it is gonna be fixed but so far we haven't been faced with something like that.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
If it gives players an unfair advantage... which is something that wavedashing in melee didn't really do. So if there is a game-breaking physics glitch I am sure it is gonna be fixed but so far we haven't been faced with something like that.
According to all the noobs, (AKA, the majority), it's not a technique, it's a glitch that makes you slide really fast along the ground and gives you an unfair advantage. You just need to come to these forums every once in a while to see people saying that, the only reason why they don't stick around for long is because they're outnumbered, but when Brawl comes out and if it's online, then the pro players will be outnumbered.

red stone

Smash Ace
problem is that wavedashing is realistic. if a move lets you gain momentum from out of nowhere as with the air dodge then the force can be used to slide on the ground. we've already seen in vids and pics that sliding will not be taken away. that just leaves air dodging

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
problem is that wavedashing is realistic. if a move lets you gain momentum from out of nowhere as with the air dodge then the force can be used to slide on the ground. we've already seen in vids and pics that sliding will not be taken away. that just leaves air dodging
Sliding is in, WD is not as of yet.

red stone

Smash Ace
why are people complaining about wavedashing? you should all be complaining about real glitches instead smart use of physics, such as the isai drop, dash canceled grab, ledge canceling, infinite stalls with peach and samus, boomerang jump, cape teleport, freeze glitch, kirby glitch, swd, doc's up b cancel, and stuff like that that are actual glitches

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
why are people complaining about wavedashing? you should all be complaining about real glitches instead smart use of physics, such as the isai drop, dash canceled grab, ledge canceling, infinite stalls with peach and samus, boomerang jump, cape teleport, freeze glitch, kirby glitch, swd, doc's up b cancel, and stuff like that that are actual glitches
Well I'm sure they were removed in the PAL version, WD is always talked about because it's controversial.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
According to all the noobs, (AKA, the majority), it's not a technique, it's a glitch that makes you slide really fast along the ground and gives you an unfair advantage. You just need to come to these forums every once in a while to see people saying that, the only reason why they don't stick around for long is because they're outnumbered, but when Brawl comes out and if it's online, then the pro players will be outnumbered.
Actually the majority of the people have no opinion. The majority of people do not even know about wavedashing. Yes, some people are against wavedashing and think it is cheap but they do not outnumber the people who want it in by very much (if at all). Most people just don't care/know. And if it returned in Brawl, those people would continue to not care/know. Just like how most people didn't know about L/Z canceling even though it was in both SSB64 and Melee.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Actually the majority of the people have no opinion. The majority of people do not even know about wavedashing. Yes, some people are against wavedashing and think it is cheap but they do not outnumber the people who want it in by very much (if at all). Most people just don't care/know. And if it returned in Brawl, those people would continue to not care/know. Just like how most people didn't know about L/Z canceling even though it was in both SSB64 and Melee.
They will know and care if it's online.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
I have played with people that didn't know and I wavedashed quite a bit. They did not even notice I was doing anything weird until I mentioned it to them.

Plus you can never account for what the people who don't know about it will think. Most of the responses that I have got when I told people about or used against people who didn't know about it have been positive. So you cannot just say outright that the people against wavedashing is greater than people for wavedashing. You can say that non-wavedashers outnumber wavedashers but that isn't the point here. NonZ-cancelers out numbered Z-cancelers in the days of SSB64... but it returned in Melee.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Or the creators didn't know about it. I didnt find out until a year ago. Besides, my 1.2 glitches from time to time.
Yes it is. I'll say this once again, it's just as much as a glitch as the Infinite Dragon Punch in the Fist of the North Star arcade game. It's not something that f-cks up the game completely, it's just a small error in the physics that causes it to happen. That is a fact, just about every definition states that wavedashing is the aftermath of an error. Simple as that.

Should you not use it? That's up to you, honestly, it's all up to personal preference. Want to use a glitch? Great, maybe it'll make yourself feel good. Think it adds to your skill? Well, go ahead and use it, it's fine by me. I honestly don't care if you use wavedashing or not.

Top Bottom