• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

wave dashin in brawl

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai stated that Brawl would have a slower 'feel' of fighting. That leads me to beleive that wavedashing is OUT!

Good thing, too.

Takalth

Smash Ace
The concern about removing wavedashing in my case is less about the wavedash itself and more about what that indicates for the direction the developers are taking.

For reasons recently stated by Dylan_Tnga (read the previous page), the physics engine, whether old or new, will have wavedashing as a consequence of the way it's built. Thus, if wavedashing is removed, it shows that the development team spent time and money hurting competitive play without helping casual. That would be a bad sign for the rest of the game.

Fortunately, I don't think that they would make that mistake, simply because Melee has too many things that were obviously meant specifically for competitive players (Smash DI, powershielding, etc).

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
The concern about removing wavedashing in my case is less about the wavedash itself and more about what that indicates for the direction the developers are taking.

For reasons recently stated by Dylan_Tnga (read the previous page), the physics engine, whether old or new, will have wavedashing as a consequence of the way it's built. Thus, if wavedashing is removed, it shows that the development team spent time and money hurting competitive play without helping casual. That would be a bad sign for the rest of the game.

Fortunately, I don't think that they would make that mistake, simply because Melee has too many things that were obviously meant specifically for competitive players (Smash DI, powershielding, etc).
That's interesting. Anyways, it would be sweet if wavedashing was in Brawl and I recommend it, but if for some reason it's out, then fine as long as Brawl is still a deep game. Removing it for the sake of removing it is just not a good idea.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b

QUOTED FOR EVEN MORE ****!NG TRUTH.

Plus, removing wavedashing would be nonsensical. You heard me. NONSENSiCAL. It is a useful tatic in competative play and can be used to make intersting tatics and characters (see Luigi). Removing for the sake of the few people who know about it and complain about it would show that he is trying to shallow the game.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
QUOTED FOR EVEN MORE ****!NG TRUTH.

Plus, removing wavedashing would be nonsensical. You heard me. NONSENSiCAL. It is a useful tatic in competative play and can be used to make intersting tatics and characters (see Luigi). Removing for the sake of the few people who know about it and complain about it would show that he is trying to shallow the game.
Lol true. Pros rarely wavedash with the except of characters that really need it like Luigi and Ice Climbers. That still doesn't make them unstoppable and be able to beat the higher tiers like Peach and Marth.

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
Marth's do Wave Dash peach do to time to time (mostly float canceling though)
And ice climbers are on the rise in the tiers youll see.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Marth's do Wave Dash peach do to time to time (mostly float canceling though)
And ice climbers are on the rise in the tiers youll see.
I know. What I meant was that on occasions, characters like Marth do wavedash. And I don't think there's going to be another tier list, anyways.

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
one is do in november i'm almost possitive and yeah occasionally they do wd . some do it more then others though. It a critical part of advanced mind gaming. example you run at opponent who is on ledge. they retaliate by returning from the ledge with a hit . You (being marth wd back c-stick forward.) they most likely go flying they try to return you wd to ledge Good Game:)

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
one is do in november i'm almost possitive and yeah occasionally they do wd . some do it more then others though. It a critical part of advanced mind gaming. example you run at opponent who is on ledge. they retaliate by returning from the ledge with a hit . You (being marth wd back c-stick forward.) they most likely go flying they try to return you wd to ledge Good Game:)
Another due in November? That's interesting. When did you get this information? Oh, and it's situations like that that make wavedashing deep in Melee and if it's in there, in Brawl as well. That's it for me.

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
Another due in November? That's interesting. When did you get this information? Oh, and it's situations like that that make wavedashing deep in Melee and if it's in there, in Brawl as well.
Thats all i wanna hear you admit wd is ok and effective i rest my case.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Thats all i wanna hear you admit wd is ok and effective i rest my case.
Dude, I already know that wavedashing is effective. I'm in support of wavedashing in Brawl and it's helped my game in Melee. I know that some wavedashes aren't as effective as others like comparing Link's wavedash and Mario's. Why is it that you assumed that I didn't find wavedashing effective?

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
Dude, I already know that wavedashing is effective. I'm in support of wavedashing in Brawl and it's helped my game in Melee. I know that some wavedashes aren't as effective as others like comparing Link's wavedash and Mario's. Why is it that you assumed that I didn't find wavedashing effective?
It seemed you where putting it down in another forum thats all my mistake your still cool to me with your massive fast post count:)

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Sakurai stated that Brawl would have a slower 'feel' of fighting. That leads me to beleive that wavedashing is OUT!

Good thing, too.
Just because he said that the speed in Brawl would be 'moderated' I don't really think that it means that wavedashing is out. The reason Melee gameplay was faster than SSB64 was not because of wavedashing after all.

Plus that article has been mistranslated enough to cause a lot of confusion. It did not necessarily say the game would be slower although it was hinted at... but that doesn't mean there will be no wavedashing. The same article was the one that started the "no clones" rumor which also was because of a mistranslation. Heck Sakurai also was rambling on about random stuff in that article, he said there might not be online because of problems and then started rambling on about how a black person thanked him for putting Roy in Melee.

lordXblade

Smash Apprentice
From the videos, Brawl seems to have a very fast gameplay. Faster than Melee and it might even be faster than Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

And for the people who say wavedashing should be in the manual. Was SHFFLing in the manual? What about JCed grabs? What about shine cancels, ledge hogs, and Ken combos (they're such garbage)? Every fighting game has elements that are figured out by players. Street fighter had super cancels and Kara throws. MvC2 had delayed hyper combos, the magic series, and infinites. There will always be exploitable glitches and hidden techniques in games that will not be in any manual. If Brawl has no advanced techniques that brings gameplay to a higher level, then it will not be played competitively.

SSoH

Smash Journeyman
Word.

When I didn't know ****, I found these forums and read all these terms I had never heard of before. Now I can use a fair majority of them and have improved my playing by a ton. This forum by far pwns any other smash forum I've been to by tenfold.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
His legs stay in the same basic position and he slides on the ground. Also, his head bobs up and down like it does to a character when you wavedash.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
His legs stay in the same basic position and he slides on the ground. Also, his head bobs up and down like it does to a character when you wavedash.
I noticed this too. After rolling, he starts moving forward in a crouched position, then back to standing, then follows up by crouching and using his move.

Looks like wavedashing but I'm still skeptical. Either they made WDing a normal feature (which is why they're showing it) or it's not WDing and our eyes are playing tricks on us. I don't think the developers would be good enough to WD like that if it was done the same way it is in Melee, so it could be a standard move now it if is a WD.

That's not to say I don't think WDing will make it to Brawl in one form or another. I'm sure it'll either be recognized as a technique and put into Brawl so anyone can do it or it'll be done the same way as it was in Melee.

SSoH

Smash Journeyman
Is it possible he could have forward dashed, but the entire animation didn't get to play through before he did the special move? Maybe our eyes are playing tricks on us because we know what wavedashing is, what it looks like, and the majority who know what it is want it back.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
It would be added as a technique that everyone could use if it was in. Just like how Tether grabbing automatically goes to the edge, or you just need to hold A to perform a combo.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
It would be added as a technique that everyone could use if it was in. Just like how Tether grabbing automatically goes to the edge, or you just need to hold A to perform a combo.
Aren't there only a few characters who can hold A to do combos?

Tether recoveries and wavedashing are two different things though. It was intended for you to be able to grab on to the ledge with your hookshot or whatever, but WDing was a glitch caused the physics engine. So the automatic tether recovery is like adding on to a feature that was already a part of the game. Adding in WDing as a normal move would be different since it wasn't even intended to be in the game.

Unless Nintendo sees WDing as something that makes gameplay worse in some way, WDing will stay. I'm pretty confident of that. And I don't see why they would take it out. If anything, it helps get the game's name out since there are tournaments all over the world with players who use advanced techs. You figure they'd just embrace it and leave it in since it's doing no harm.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
About the video with Snake, there are a few possibilities:

- He wavedashes (because you can't perform a down-smash attack out of a dash, unless JC'd)(see below)
- He JC's and down-smash/down-a/down-whatever it is.
- It's part of the attack, would make sense, since it's attack range is pretty low, so moving a little bit forward and then attacking is pretty logical, it happened in melee too.

Also, if they were adding WD-ing as a normal move, like moving the c-stick left/right, people would always be able to make a perfect wavedash and then it's less about skill, people need skill to pull off good/perfect wavedashes in their game, so making it an actual ''move'' of the game only gives advantage to less good players, and no advantage at all for good players...
Anyway, WD for Brawl!

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I think it's going to be in and here's why:
1. in the second trailer it looks like meta knight wave lands at the castle level
2. In the original smash bros l-canceling was a glitch you your sheild up right when you landed and it canceled all lag.

-Sakurai decided to put it in melee but make it have different lag for all characters moves after pushing l or r instead of having no lag.

-He'll probably do the same thing for wavedashing from melee to brawl

Bronzetitan

Smash Rookie
God i hope they keep it or my practice will all be for naught. Samus is so slow without it. Wave dashing is part of the games physics engine, if they change the physics of the game then that will determine if wave dashing will present or gone

Smash Ace
<if you can see this, then you must be loco>
If by chance Wavedashing is out, I hope they have more advanced techniques to counteract the ease of usingmoves such as tether recovery and standard combos.
If by chance Wavedashing is in, I still hope they have more advanced techniques to counteract the ease of usingmoves such as tether recovery and standard combos.

Assuming that mid-air dodging and wavedashing go together, then we can count on seeing Wavedashing back in, since there is a Battlefield screenshot that shows Pika doing one.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Dylan, I'm sure that Sakurai isn't going to make the game as easy as you think. I believe he'll just use the same formula Sakurai's been using for a while: easy to play, difficult to master. On the surface, it may seem easy, but if you look deeper, you'll find that there's depth in this game just like in Melee. As for wavedashing, I think it could be in Brawl and he just might make an update about it or keep it secret like an easter egg like he did with L-canceling from SSB to SSBM.

Top Bottom