• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

wave dashin in brawl

Bronzetitan

Smash Rookie
well i can't see any better proof than that clip there. his reaction is to fast for him not to be wave landing. the only thing thats going to give a better confirmation is to wait for brawl it self

Shiny Ivysaur

Smash Journeyman
Alright, here we go. My attention span is too short to read 20+ pages in one sitting.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukxi35lnuPI

If you saw someone sliding across the ground like that in say Twilight Princess or Mario Galaxy, would you think it's a feature of a glitch/exploitation. Wavedashing is cheating for people without Gamesharks. It's not intended to be played by WDing, that much should be obvious to pretty much everyone.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
Alright, here we go. My attention span is too short to read 20+ pages in one sitting.

If you saw someone sliding across the ground like that in say Twilight Princess or Mario Galaxy, would you think it's a feature of a glitch/exploitation. Wavedashing is cheating for people without Gamesharks. It's not intended to be played by WDing, that much should be obvious to pretty much everyone.
Wow, yeah I'm 99% sure you won't be able to do that in brawl. Maby a small slide after airdodging into the ground but it probably will be severly nerfed.

Rash

Smash Ace
I just hope this game isnt a pile of noob ****, because it really does look like it so far.
Dylan, you're way too overcritical about these kinds of things.

Smash Brothers has always been a newb-friendly game. I don't expect any different out of Brawl. These games are some of the most accessible on the market, but at the same time have some of the most depth on the market as well, especially for competitive players.

If you think that Sakurai is "out to get you" with this game, you're mistaken. Brawl's not being developed for any particular person. Just like its predecessors, it's being developed for the masses, and in my opinion will only benefit for it.

DSB

Smash Apprentice
Couldn't we just send a bunch of emails or letters asking Nintendo Power to test it out when they do their preview? Kinda like Starmen.net's PK mail-ins? If most of you care that much about WDing to theorise about it each day in the forums then I don't see how writing an email or letter to NP could be a problem.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b

LOL. How in the hell is wavedash broken? If you answer that for me, you can get an intraweb cookie. You just probably see people wavedash on youtube and think "all the pros wavedash so that is waht makes thmZ PROZ!!!"

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I still cannot fathom the whole argument that advanced techniques were "unintended abuses of the game physics". The game sets the rules, and then we are free to do as we please. Did the inventor of ping pong intend for players to start applying spin to the ball? Did the creator of basketball intend for players to dribble-fake into a shot? Did the first tennis player slice the ball? Let's examine this a bit closer, shall we? Why do soccer players do back flips to shoot the ball? The original creator probably never envisioned players becoming that radical in their play style. Well, the rule is that players cannot touch the ball with their hands/arms. So, since the human head has an overall week lever, players started inverting their bodies to shoot the ball at high speeds with their legs from a place where opponents are unlikely to be able to intercept: in the middle of the air. Is this tactic broken? Should it have been banned from tournaments since it was never intended to be there? Of course not. In this example, we see that soccer has evolved into an extremely competitive sport where virtually every country has put forth a team of its best players!

So, bringing this full circle back to smash, it is OK to avoid advanced tactics. No one is forcing anyone to learn how to wavedash, lag-cancel, etc. Play the game at your own pace! However, when the rest of us start learning how to win at all costs, do not complain that we are violating the original "intent" of the creators. If you want a game with explicit rules that reflect the intent of the creator, play a board game. >_>

S P I K E

Smash Ace
I wonder if anyone could have guessed Wario moves by farts.... Oh WAIT!!! He does!!!!

Hot ****.

Looks like they wouldn't be stupid enough to give away wavedashing so early.

S P I K E

Smash Ace
I still cannot fathom the whole argument that advanced techniques were "unintended abuses of the game physics". The game sets the rules, and then we are free to do as we please. Did the inventor of ping pong intend for players to start applying spin to the ball? Did the creator of basketball intend for players to dribble-fake into a shot? Did the first tennis player slice the ball? Let's examine this a bit closer, shall we? Why do soccer players do back flips to shoot the ball? The original creator probably never envisioned players becoming that radical in their play style. Well, the rule is that players cannot touch the ball with their hands/arms. So, since the human head has an overall week lever, players started inverting their bodies to shoot the ball at high speeds with their legs from a place where opponents are unlikely to be able to intercept: in the middle of the air. Is this tactic broken? Should it have been banned from tournaments since it was never intended to be there? Of course not. In this example, we see that soccer has evolved into an extremely competitive sport where virtually every country has put forth a team of its best players!

So, bringing this full circle back to smash, it is OK to avoid advanced tactics. No one is forcing anyone to learn how to wavedash, lag-cancel, etc. Play the game at your own pace! However, when the rest of us start learning how to win at all costs, do not complain that we are violating the original "intent" of the creators. If you want a game with explicit rules that reflect the intent of the creator, play a board game. >_>
Quoted for truth by the way. Wise statement.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Why does the wave dashing argument always boil down to what the devs intended? A lot of what made Melee an excellent game was the refinement of many unintentional techniques discovered in SSB64. Stop assuming that what may have been unintentional in Melee will remain unintentional for Brawl. So instead of pointlessly bickering, lets start talking about wave dashing in terms of what it does for the actual gameplay instead.

• Does it add more depth? Does it create imbalances? Does it improve the balance?
  • Could they incorporate it in Brawl in a way that would be fair and beneficial? Would it be worthwhile?
  • Can they simplify it in a way that will make everyone happy?
  • Most importantly, does it add to the fun?

Part of the reason why these topics always go to **** is because people can't take a step back and evaluate from a logical perspective. Too many people are misinformed about wavedashing and think it's the equivalent of a win button. You know who you are, you're part of the problem.

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings
Lol Wave Dashing improves sometimes your speed and sometimes your mind games, and this game is all about mind games, if you say that mind gaming is cheap then you shouldnt be playing smash. If you dont use the wave dash correctly is not going to get you anywhere, someone abusing the smash button is cheaper than a uncorrectly used wavedash...

Bronzetitan

Smash Rookie
I agree. i have always thought that the c-stick smashes were cheap because it makes the smash attacks way to easy, it takes little to know effort. however wavedashing is the opposite of the c-stick. it is difficult to master, begginers have no hope of being able to use this correctly, and it is only useful for some people and not all the time. Ex) sheik and falcons wavedashes are short and almost pointless,while luigi and the ice climbers can get some real use out of it.

Top Bottom