• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Watchmen film

FoxID

Smash Cadet
The movie was amazing. One of the best movies made in a long time. Not as good as the comic though.

Someone said earlier that they didn't dumb anything down. I'm really glad they did that. Now all the people who didn't read the comic or just plain didn't understand the vocabulary will hate this movie when in all reality it is hollywoods attempt to bring the worlds greatest graphic novel(IMO) to life. Which I think for the most part they succeeded. It resembled the comic very well except for a few things. Which in my opinion are some of the most important parts of the comic....

First of all.
The octopus..... Need I say more? What happened to it?
Rorshach went soft? I prefered the way he killed the kidnapper in the comic. In my opinion it was a lot more brutal than repeatedly stabbing him in the head which just made him seem weak.

Some things I did like.
The introduction. I loved it. Something I noticed whenever they did slowmotion scenes those are the scenes actually found in the comic. Like when the comedian was thrown out of the window.
I for one did not read all the extra information that is found between chapters. So I didn't know who the minutemen were. I knew they were heroes but I didn't know their names. I like the way they were introduced in this movie. It was awesome. The song choices were amazing. All in all. I loved the movie but it's not as good as the comic.

smashman90

Smash Lord
I saw this movie on Friday and I enjoyed it. Jackie Earle Haley and Jefferey Dean Morgan were excellent as Rorschach and The Comedian. The others were decent but I think Ozymandias kinda gotten boned. There didn't seem to be a whole lot of character development for him. I liked the songs used in the movie such as the scene of the Comedian jumping off of Archie with "I'm your Boogieman" in the background. That scene was made of win. I couldn't help but lol at the sex scene with SS and Nite Owl, that was just corny. Rorschach and the Comedian pretty much owned the entire movie. Although I think they were trying to turn Dr. Manhattan's crotch into the next Gutsman's *** in this movie. That thing kept popping up in almost every scene in the movie. *Pulls off Rorschach's mask only to discover that it is Manhattan's wang* ZOMG!

RDK

Smash Hero
Just saw Watchmen. I thought it was pretty good; definitely not the best movie I've seen, but better than average.

Like I said, I haven't read the graphic novel, although now I guess I'm going to have grab it from the bookstore before I attempt to watch the movie again. As far as the movie goes, it was a little boring in places and dragged on a bit (maybe this is because a lot of the backstory went over my head, me not being familiar with the source material). There were scenes in the movie I really liked; for example
the Comedian death scene
was amazing cinematically, as were others.

Overall I liked the movie, although I was a little disappointed in how mediocre certain aspects of the film were. It was really good, but it could have been better. I'd give it an 8.5 / 10.

Edit: at the expense of being eaten alive by Dark Knight fanboys, I actually liked this better than TDK, which was also a really good movie, but way overhyped.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Yeah, I really didn't enjoy that movie. I don't remember what happenned in it anymore but I'm pretty sure I was bored out my skull.

So I heard that rorshach and the rich guy are gay in the comic! This never really came across in the movie if it's true but I thought it's pretty interesting lol.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I take back my fanboy hatred from my earlier post, it's not worse than 300 and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen combined. It's way worse than 300, sure, but not League bad, that comment I made was out of line.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
So I heard that rorshach and the rich guy are gay in the comic! This never really came across in the movie if it's true but I thought it's pretty interesting lol.
I'm reading the comic, I'm not through with it (just at the part where
night owl and silk spectre decide to go back out as vigilantes
), but Rorschach is definitely not a gay man, he's a hard lined conservative who thinks Veidt might be gay and decides that he has to "look further into it". Roschach is more political in the book then in the movie, he's very right wing.

RDK

Smash Hero
I take back my fanboy hatred from my earlier post, it's not worse than 300 and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen combined. It's way worse than 300, sure, but not League bad, that comment I made was out of line.
Wow, you think 300 is better than Watchmen? I'll admit that 300 was visually pretty, but as in the way of actual depth of meaning (or even plot), it was hellishly vapid.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Wow, you think 300 is better than Watchmen? I'll admit that 300 was visually pretty, but as in the way of actual depth of meaning (or even plot), it was hellishly vapid.
Well yeah, he's saying that Watchmen was worse then 300, he hates it.

I finished reading the graphic novel. First actual comic thing I've ever read. I enjoyed it, but I dunno if I'd of enjoyed it if I hadn't seen the movie first, I really prefer actual books then picture ones. Some things were better in the book, some in the movie. Though one thing I noticed was that a lot of the camp in the movie was due to the director taking quotes from the books, but changing where they are (such as Veidt talking to the interviewers). I'm surprised at how many people were angry at the gore in the movie, the comic book was gory too.

MaxDeUh

Smash Journeyman
It's so hard for me to read books. Just because I'm so used to comic book literature.

kr3wman

Smash Master
I cried when
Rorshach died. IMO he was the best character and he felt like the most important one even if he didn't do anything much.

It was a good film, even though I'm sure comic books are better (dont need to tell me :mad088:) The choice of music was also a high point for me(The intro, when they crash in antartica, etc)... But this Dr. Manhattan fellow let me down. At the end of the movie his character seemed a little incoherent.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
I really really liked this movie. Albeit I haven't read the comic yet (I do own it.), I just thought overall it was great. This is definitely a step up for comic book movies. And I don't think the gore was too bad, it added to the gritty nature of the movie/comic. I've also always been interested in the Rorschach inkblot test, it's cool to see it come alive as a character.

Albert.

Smash Master
SO.. we need to have a little smash watchmen thing

Observe!

If Nite Owl played smash he'd use Pit

(for the wings)

someone do one for marth so I can sig it.

MaxDeUh

Smash Journeyman
I started re-reading the graphic novel a couple nights ago. It's been at least five years since I first read it.

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
I liked that movie for one scene and one scene alone. Silk Spectre II and the Dr. Manhattans....oh yeah. Would have been better, except my mom was right next to me.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I thoroughly enjoyed this film. I don't understand the gripe about the violence and whatnot, as the movie had a fair share of everything. I do understand why critics comparing it to the graphic novel would complain, as it is a bit "camped out" in comparison, but man, I'd go see it again easily. The moral values presented in it were great, particularly by Rorshach (and of course, Manhattan), and honestly, I didn't mind the abundance of blue genitalia.

Oracle

Smash Master
There was so much wrong with the movie but it was still pretty good. There were a lot of things that didn't make any sense because they tried to combine new dialougue with the original. For example

Nite owl: The watchmen are over! Those times are gone and weren't good

later

Nite owl: Those times were great rorshack. where did they go?

MaxDeUh

Smash Journeyman
All the whores and politicians will look up and shout, "Save us!" and I'll look down and whisper, "No."

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Clearly the 'abattoir of ******** babies' was the best quote. Now we all know what the plural of ******** babies is.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Coming from someone who never even heard of the Watchmen before seeing the movie:

I loved it.

I liked how the lines between "bad guy" and "good guy" were so blurred. It really made the characters that much more deep and interesting. It was as if every hero was an anti-hero and every villain was an anti-villain, lol.

I also liked how they handled the historical aspects of the story. Rather than taking place in a made up city that is essentially New York (Metropolis, etc...) they just go ahead and put the characters in the real past and then run with it.

The only criticisms I've heard are from fans of the comics. But that's the same thing you get with Lord of the Rings. There's going to be a small percentage of people who are die hard fanboys who will complain every time someone's boots aren't the right color. Certain aspects of the story HAVE to be cut or changed in order for the adaptation into movie to be palatable.

...but did they REALLY have to animate Manhattan's ***** as much as they did? I mean seriously... I get that he's naked all the time. I get that it was like that in the comics. But did they really have to animate it to swing and flop around like they did? I mean, come on.

Lol, imagine being the poor sap that had to animate that. How would you include that in your portfolio, eh? :)

Frames

DI
"WORK EXPERIENCE - Computer Animation and 3D modeling - Dr. Manhattan's ***** - Watchmen - 2006-2009"

Overall I thought this was a good movie, not great by any means, some parts of it I really enjoyed, but overall I felt that this project was too big for a director like Zack Snyder.

RDK

Smash Hero
The only criticisms I've heard are from fans of the comics. But that's the same thing you get with Lord of the Rings. There's going to be a small percentage of people who are die hard fanboys who will complain every time someone's boots aren't the right color.
Ha, this made me laugh. :)

Most of the criticism I hear comes from fans of the comic book too. And I can understand hating on Zack Snyder, but at least give the guy credit for taking on such an ambitious product and finishing with something that isn't complete ****.

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
That's the thing, though, RDK, that the fans of the graphic novel (people are picky about that, especially regarding Watchmen), are mad about.

The film was bad. I'm a very big fan of watchmen, it's characters, and it's plot. I understand that some things HAD to be taken out, such as the newspaper side story, but other things were taken out as well. Rorschach's past was reduced to the quote that his mother said, "I wish I had that abortion," (might be paraphrasing) and the anger that he had towards the two kids, which the non-comic readers don't even understand. All it turns Rorschach into is some batman-esque (Is there really a difference from the voices they used?) vigilante that is more about violence than he is thought, which is backwards! He's angry, ruthless but pensive. They completely abolished this, turning him into some bad-***! Since when is that a good thing? Jeesus!

Since he's one of my major beefs, my other character rants won't be as long. For the most part, casting seemed to be done on actual appearance as opposed to the acting or what the characters represented. Maybe it was directional, but Dr Manhatten had about as weak of a voice as the actor for Piglet in Winnie the Pooh (I wish I had the actor name so I didn't have to refer him to a character). Malin Akernam was the major abolishment to the cast, the sex scene, which I surely will get back to, was probably the only part she acted right, not doing anything except standing pretty in the movie, going so far, once again may not be her fault entirely, ****ing up her lines showing she doesn't know what punctuation is as she tells Rorschach off when they are first met on the big screen. Viedt had the pompous feel while really he should have been more calculated. I was disapoionted in that, but I can't really say much since I'm still rather disapointed at the lack of the hybrid cat's appearence, seeing as their budget could've definitally still been enough to have it in there longer. Dan Dreiburg I can't really sayh anything with, I tried to forget most of his acting. The one hero I actually liked the preformance of was Comedian. Aside from the intro fight scene, the director actually decided to include his parts, the one thought provoking thing in the movie probably other than "omg watz guna hapen nxt".

Plotwise, they squeezed as much action into the movie and they removed all thought out of it. The most thought they had in the movie was to turn everything into a joke. The sex scene, already too long as is, a very unimportant part of the story, has corny romance music playing. My theater LAUGHED. LAUGHED. What the mother of god was Snyder thinking? Honestly! Who the hell okayed that? Going back to the start of the movie, fans of the book are either shown that their movie is going to be "wicked sweet and awesome!" or the absolute opposite, depending on whatever the hell it makes you to enjoy such a terrible film. Punching through bricks, getting tossed through every glass object in the apartment, in an overly long fight scene, the comedian is FINALLY (that's honestly what I was thinkiong during the movie) tossed out of the glass window. The movie goes on to steal the book's text in quotes, word for word almost just to get the story across to convey more action. That's basically all the movie did: turn the psychological thriller into an action thriller. It's as if Zack Snyder and the whole crew had no respect for the book at all! The movie was Uwe Boll bad, minus the great special effects, and 'tubular fight scenes', as well as Malin Akernam's ****.

btw, Lord of the Rings were horrible movies. Clerks 2 sums it up pretty good. Special effects don't make movies.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
If you thought the movie was an action thriller then you obviously were trying to hate it. I've yet to meet anyone who hadn't read the comic book (which is all graphic novels are) and who saw it who missed any of the things you said. So boo hoo that the characters weren't as deep, it's a three hour film not a massive mini series.

edit: the sex scene was ridiculous in the comic book too, best way to show it was trying to be rediuclous in a film was to make it over the top.

RDK

Smash Hero
And if anything, the non-action parts heavily outweighed the few action parts. I hear a lot of people complain about how there weren't enough fight scenes.

I think it pretty much boils down to that some some won't ever be satisfied.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
The vast majority of your complaints, Liberator, are ways that the movie isn't similar enough to the comics. Well, boo hoo. The movie has to be different. They have to change the characters. Not every actor's voice is going to sound exactly how you had imagined it in your head.

These are merely differences between the movie and comics. Not reasonable complaints against the movie.

Though I DID forget to mention the music. I hated the movie's soundtrack. Plain and simple. Not only did I not like the music itself, but I think it didn't fit at all with the movie. The movie was trying to be so... epic. But the music was anything but.

Oh, and how can you POSSIBLY say that LotR were bad movies?! How? They were amazing on every level. Acting, cast, special effects, even accuracy to the books were incredible.

MaxDeUh

Smash Journeyman
I've come to the conclusion that my favorite part of the movie has to be when...*Spoilers*

Everyone in the streets are rioting and The Comedian starts shooting everyone and I'm Your Boogie Man starts up.

kr3wman

Smash Master
I think the soundtrack was my favorite part of the movie. It helped to change the mood between scenes of different nature and didn't feel over-the-top. Except when Nite Owl meets SS in the restaurant. You could basically predict with a 100% chance they were going to have sex later on. Except from that part every other time the music really supported what was going.

And the soundtrack, in itself, was gooood. I don't know what you are talking about Altf4, I don't know what you're talking about.

RDK

Smash Hero
I've come to the conclusion that my favorite part of the movie has to be when...*Spoilers*

Everyone in the streets are rioting and The Comedian starts shooting everyone and I'm Your Boogie Man starts up.
Basically any scene with the Comedian in it was good.

What I found myself laughing out loud at, which I feel bad about now that I think about it, was that if you look closely after he jumps down from Archie and starts laying into the crowd, the first person he randomly punches is some girl, who pretty much looks like she's the only female in the crowd. It was just hilarious to me that, out of everyone, he randomly picks out some woman to give a haymaker to.

And did anyone else think the sex scene between Nite Owl and SS2 was completely unnecessary? It pretty much ruined Hallelujiah for me.

RDK

Smash Hero
It was part of the comic. :ohwell:
My gripe was more with the actors' performances than with the concept behind the scene.

Basically, if they're going to do a sex scene, make it a decent sex scene.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
My gripe was more with the actors' performances than with the concept behind the scene.

Basically, if they're going to do a sex scene, make it a decent sex scene.
It was suppose to be silly and pretty ridiculous, not tender. But yeah the music was terrible for that

MaxDeUh

Smash Journeyman
Only song I felt was out of place and wasn't worth a scene was All Along the Watchtower.

RDK

Smash Hero
Only song I felt was out of place and wasn't worth a scene was All Along the Watchtower.
If I heard correctly, it was supposed to a direct reference to the comic...?

in regards to that song i actually liked the cover used in "Shrek" better and i would've liked to hear that in its place
I prefer that one too; I think they used it in House once.

Top Bottom