• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Watchmen film

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257

Director: Zack Snyder
Producers: Lloyd Levin, Lawrence Gordon, Deborah Snyder
Starring: Patrick Wilson (Nite Owl), Jackie Earle Haley (Rorschach), Malin Akerman (Silk Spectre), Billy Crudup (Doctor Manhattan), Jeffery Dean Morgan (The Comedian), and Matthew Goode (Ozymandias).
Release Date: 06 March, 2009

Synopsis
"A complex, multi-layered mystery adventure, Watchmen is set in an alternate 1985 America in which costumed superheroes are part of the fabric of everyday society, and the "Doomsday Clock" - which charts the USA's tension with the Soviet Union - is permanently set at five minutes to midnight. When one of his former colleagues is murdered, the washed-up but no less determined masked vigilante Rorschach sets out to uncover a plot to kill and discredit all past and present superheroes. As he reconnects with his former crime-fighting legion - a ragtag group of retired superheroes, only one of whom has true powers - Rorschach glimpses a wide-ranging and disturbing conspiracy with links to their shared past and catastrophic consequences for the future. Their mission is to watch over humanity...but who is watching the watchmen?"
Additional websites with info: http://watchmenmovie.warnerbros.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen_film

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4blSrZvPhU

This movie, just like the comic, is going to be amazing. DC impresses me once again.
Discuss and speculate about the Watchmen film here.

Overload

Smash Lord
It looks like its gonna be good. I like the quote
"the world will look up and shout 'save us' and I'll whisper 'no' "

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
That looks pretty awesome. I saw the trailer for it in the movies just yesterday, and I thought it was pretty cool.

Any idea if I still can buy the comic/graphic novel?

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I was hoping this movie would never get made. This is Alan Moore's greatest work, and judging by the other movies based on his works, this will be the worst film adaptation. That's right, worse than the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I went there.

At least it's not the only "greatest comic ever" to get ***** by Hollywood now.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Any idea if I still can buy the comic/graphic novel?
Definitely. Search for buying comics on the web; you'll come up with a bunch of websites that have it if you search. It's a 12-part series though, so it could be a bit challenging to find all 12 if you're interested enough.

I was hoping this movie would never get made. This is Alan Moore's greatest work, and judging by the other movies based on his works, this will be the worst film adaptation. That's right, worse than the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I went there.

At least it's not the only "greatest comic ever" to get ***** by Hollywood now.
Nah, LoEG was in a league of it's own (no pun intended) for bad film making in general. With Snyder directing, it should, at the very least, be a mixed review movie. I'm only worried about the possibility that it strays too far from the original story...

lycrof

Smash Apprentice
You can buy the graphic novel version of the comics at most larger book stores.
I heard they are staying true to the comics and that it will be 3.5 hours long to fit all the stuff in

Mike87

Smash Ace
Oh god no, its abd enough that most mainstream muscians like these guys have no talent.
But dont butcher the work of a legend.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Despite the abomination of a song that hemightbegiant linked to two posts ago, I remain cautiously optimistic about this movie. I think it will be hard to translate the book into movie form, but not impossible.

Also, They Might Be Giants and Bob Dylan? I approve of your musical taste.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
But dont butcher the work of a legend.
Bob Dylan and Alan Moore in one swoop. It really is tragic :(.

Despite the abomination of a song that hemightbegiant linked to two posts ago, I remain cautiously optimistic about this movie. I think it will be hard to translate the book into movie form, but not impossible.
I guess if I never saw the films based on The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or V for Vendetta or From Hell, I guess I wouldn't be so ticked, but I have and they are utter insults to one of the greatest minds in comics. The sad thing is, all of them could have been saved from obvious mistakes with obvious answers. V is too soft in the movie, and the League just tries way too hard to appeal to Americans (I'm not talking about the addition Tom Sawyer either, that could have actually gone by very well regardless if he was added to be the "American literary character").

Also, They Might Be Giants and Bob Dylan? I approve of your musical taste.
Why thank you :)

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Why, why can't they just keep the real song in? MCR sucks. The guy can't sing, the guitar is loose, and the drums are off beat during live preformances.

Albert.

Smash Master
I read the comic after enjoying the trailer way back on 7/18/08
I was REALLY impressed by the comic.
the movie looks promising I think, I like how they are updating some of the costumes for the movie (ozymandias for one)

BTW MyChemical Romance =crap but so is dylan so where can you go but up?

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Well, after seeing the second trailer I am... not enthusiastic.

The first trailer looked like an honest attempt to interpret the Watchmen comic into movie form.

The second looks like they took the plot and characters of Watchmen, and then turned it into a special effects, slow motion action shot bonanza.

My expectations for this movie have plummeted.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
This is pointless. Changing the plot, whats the point? It isn't Watchmen anymore.
Sure, you still have Rorschach, but it isn't Watchmen.
It is just a way to make money.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Ozymandias' new plot is stupid. Not final, but one of the very first drafts of the script had his machine that rips apart Dr. Manhattan the second time at the end of the book (the one that also kills Bubastis) tear him apart and all that's the same, but instead of Dr. Manhattan reforming himself by replacing his molecules back one by one, his molecules get "trapped" inside the machine and Ozymandias can "harness the power of a GOD!!!" and forces the world into a peaceful state, threatening to destroy any country that wants to pull out.

I've actually had people apologize to me for calling me pessimistic and "you shouldn't judge a movie until you see it" and all that crap. It's a movie based on an Alan Moore comic, look at the past, it's not going to be good.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'm reading Watchmen now.

I'm around half way though the book? This is not going to be a good movie. :ohwell:

Albert.

Smash Master
well that whole "harnessing Dr. Manhattan thing" is pretty dumb!!!

lol but you cannot judge a movie by its trailer. Of course the trailer is going to make it seem like an action-fest, they're trying to appeal to a broad audience of dumb pricks who are addicted in the mindless hollywood action film.

and you can't judge a film by leaked scripts!

BTW!!!

We are all gonna see it on opening day anyways lol

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Yes you can judge a movie by its trailer, and yes, judging a movie based on scripts has even MORE ground. It shows how stupid the overall direction of the movie is and the stupidity of the "creative force" behind the story.

You can also judge this movie since it's also based off of Alan Moore's work. Let's see movies based on his work from the past:

From Hell: Very bad.
V for Vendetta: ****ing dreadful.
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: One of the worst movies ever made.

You can also judge this movie based off of people involved. First, the "visionary," Zack Snyder.

Dawn of the Dead (2004 remake): What the **** was he thinking remaking Dawn of the Dead? I understand being dissapointed by the recent Dead Series movies, but face it, if anyone but Romero directs one, it's going to be even worse, as our friend Snyder proved.
300: Do I even need to say anything here? I mean, c'mon, it's bad, stop lying to yourself.

Let's take a look at the costumes: they all suck, but Ozymandias sticks out as the worst of the bunch. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, as the SAME COSTUME DESIGNER FROM BATMAN & ROBIN is also the costume designer.

Music? We get a Smashing Pumpkins song, that's cool. It just so happens to be the SAME THEME SONG FROM BATMAN & ROBIN.

I have absolutely NO hope for this movie. I didn't when the first trailer came along, and I don't now.

MojoMan

Smash Ace
Yes you can judge a movie by its trailer, and yes, judging a movie based on scripts has even MORE ground. It shows how stupid the overall direction of the movie is and the stupidity of the "creative force" behind the story.

You can also judge this movie since it's also based off of Alan Moore's work. Let's see movies based on his work from the past:

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: One of the worst movies ever made.

You can also judge this movie based off of people involved. First, the "visionary," Zack Snyder.

Let's take a look at the costumes: they all suck, but Ozymandias sticks out as the worst of the bunch. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, as the SAME COSTUME DESIGNER FROM BATMAN & ROBIN is also the costume designer.

Music? We get a Smashing Pumpkins song, that's cool. It just so happens to be the SAME THEME SONG FROM BATMAN & ROBIN.

I have absolutely NO hope for this movie. I didn't when the first trailer came along, and I don't now.
Really, the costumes looked like pieces of crap. I mean they look like they were in Batman in Robin, not just the same designer. You can practically imagine the villain making his dramatic speech about whispering back "no" in an Austrian accent with freeze guns at his side. If there is another really bad Batman and Roobin movie im confusing this with, let me know. I'm still going to see the movie, but you can already see that the actor's movements are really wooden, like they're actually robots lol.

Albert.

Smash Master
Watchmen Movie reactions

I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this already!

What did you all think?

I thought it was amazing. beautifully shot and acted with great writing/condensing

I didn't like the gratuitous violence but whatever

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I did not read the original graphic novel, but I did read up on some general need-to-knows about the plot and the characters before going to see the movie.

I was aware of the
squid
, and knew it wasn't going to be in the movie.

I loved the movie.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I was pissed that the Ship Comic wasn't in the movie. At ALL.
The director said he wanted to include it but it didn't make the cut. Apparently, it's going to be on the DVD, separately.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Haven't seen it. Though from what I've heard from people it's been pretty good (this, of course, excludes fanboy comments. Sorry, hemightbegiant :( ). I may or may not go see it. Probably not though -- rated R.

Of course, I'm going to be watching the Black Freighter part when it comes out on DVD no matter what. I want to see that a lot.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Without spoilers, how bad is the violence? Cause I do want to see this, but I'm not too big on lots of violence. If it's pretty severe, I'd consider waiting.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
There is a thread on it, you posted in it. But I'll just merge them.

I haven't seen this movie yet, I've been hearing conflicting reviews, so I figure I'll just have to judge it myself whenever I see it.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Without spoilers, how bad is the violence? Cause I do want to see this, but I'm not too big on lots of violence. If it's pretty severe, I'd consider waiting.
Meh, it was gratuitous at some parts...I've definitely seen worse, though. How gratuitous it is is pretty subjective, though, and despite having just come from it I can barely remember exactly how much there was, so...it's hard to say exactly.

I suppose as far as violent movies go, it's somewhere in the middle.

In general, I thought the movie was really good. I didn't read the graphic novel...but I'm gathering it's probably better to do it in the reverse order if anything. When you experience something and love it, and it's remade or ported to another form of media, you generally hate it the second time around or have a worse opinion of it, at least. Whereas if you experience the second one first, you can go back to the original and enjoy the original even more.

I'm not saying I'm not guilty of doing that at times too, so I'm not trying to attack anyone, but at the same time it sort of annoys me that people bash it because it WAS a good movie...just maybe not like the graphic novel.

Snare

Smash Lord
movie was pretty amazing. barely enough sexual stuff to make it R but it isnt bad, and they really didn't have as much violence as i thought it would be.

it definitly helped to read the graphic novel before watching the movie, really seemed liked it tried to mirror the novel perfectly just to please the fan-boys, so i aproved of what happened in the end just to change it up a little

also rorschach is a freakin pimp, best character in the whole thing

pikamon

Smash Ace
This film was fantastic. Considering the source material, I don't see how it could have been any better than it was. Mind you, I never read the book, but from what others have told me it pretty much is identical to the comic. You can certainly tell, too. There are so many scenes that just look like they came straight out of a comic book, which is so cool to see. I loved this movie. The plot was great, and the ending was completely unexpected. Say what you will about this movie, but at least it wasn't your traditional action flick. I, for one, am grateful for something different every once in a while, and this film delivered all the way through.

I still can't believe that it only has a 65% at rotten tomatoes, and only 45% from the "top critics". Roger Ebert gave the film a 4/4 stars, and I tend to agree with him on most films.

This guy is calling it the first flop of 2009, but he sounds like an idiot (I guess a flop is another word for setting records at the box office on its first day...). Anyway, this was a great film and now I plan to read the comic as soon as possible. :)

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
I went with a group of 12 people yesterday and it got pretty mixed reactions from all of us. 3 people thought it was really good, 5 thought it was ok, and 4 thought it was terrible and wanted to leave early!

I had no idea about the original storyline when I walked into the movie, but that didn't really bother me. I enjoyed the opening and most of the ending, the hilariously graphic violence, some of the characters and the music they played. But the middle was a little dry. For such a long movie, the middle sections dragged on and felt like there was no purpose. There was no villain, the story hadn't come together yet and it was just... random scenes :ohwell:. Some of the characters were annoying too (not a fan of blue man).

Overall I enjoyed the movie, but I don't think it lived up to the hype at all.

The main complaints from my other friends was that the story made no sense, the characters were all dumb and it was a really really slow movie. I don't agree with all of that but meh.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
I'll assume I can ask about this without people whining about spoilers.

Some people have said something like the gratuity of the violence in the alley scene where Nite Owl and SS defended themselves was out of line, and made it more difficult to sympathize with them or something. That seems dumb, since it was implied in the comic that they were beating those dudes pretty badly, and I think there a couple of shots where it was implied that people got knee'd in bad places. Do people just have a problem with it now that they have to see this stuff played out in detail?

Top Bottom