• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Watching Little Boys: A Lucas Video Thread

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
0:28 was supposed to be a DJC uair, I just messed it up. The other times you posted were my slip ups as well, but I do think netplay can sometimes slip you up when you're moving so fast.

I also did a lot of full jump zair istead of wavedashing like I intended to this set by mistake and I have no idea why. I have NEVER done that before, especially not so frequently lol.

As for what combos into what, I already know about everything you said, it's just a matter of me actually doing it. My combos have definitely improved since 3.5, but I do understand that my vid in particular doesn't show it off too well since I just felt like using lots of tech skill :p
Not gonna lie though, there are some characters that I still suck at comboing. It's frustrating lol.

Maybe next week I'll play another match and focus solely on continuing combos instead of magnet flash and then post the vid here.

I do love my magnet flash though
Yeah that'd be cool to see some more Lucas play in action. I wish I could record my training sessions so you all could see the stuff I've been working on.

I figured most of the slip-ups were accidental bc of Netplay lag. I saw a full hop Uair so I assumed it was supposed to be a DJC Uair. Mostly posted the other options just in case you or others didn't know about additional followups.

Which characters do you have trouble comboing? I've come close to figuring out true combos for most DI situations on all the weight classes.

D e l t a

So I don't have recording stuff, but I have a phone. For those asking to see my Lucas, here's a quick combo I did on a CPU Puff. I'll try to upload a few other quick gifs later this week. If only there was good people in my area I could record myself fighting :/

Scraket

Smash Ace
So I don't have recording stuff, but I have a phone. For those asking to see my Lucas, here's a quick combo I did on a CPU Puff. I'll try to upload a few other quick gifs later this week. If only there was good people in my area I could record myself fighting :/

uh not to hate but cpu combos don't really mean much.
Do you have any gameplay against others? Maybe you should try playing on wifi(despite it being terribly laggy at times).
It would be fun playing against you :)

D e l t a

I know. I dont have anybody good around me and I can't get full matches recorded. I just wanted to upload a quick vid of me playing. CPUs are the only thing I can really record currently. I don't have wifi or netplay which sucks >_>

Next month or two I'm attempting to build a really sick desktop and buy recording stuff. Then I can show how good my Lucas truly is!

CPUs aren't totally worthless. If my opponent was DI'ing the same way it would be the exact same situation. Not to mention comboing Jiggs is not easy in the slightest lol. Regardless, I always get at least 0-50% combos off one hit confirm, CPU or not. All because I practice many options over and over again until I know exactly what I can and can't do.

Last edited:

D e l t a

K I P • T I P • B O Y Z

"Yeah you should start a Reddit thread. Tell people to get better. Start a list.
1-18. Git gud
19. Acquire proficiency."

"How to get good: git gud."

THIS IS WHY I LOVE AZPM <3

20PK

Smash Apprentice
So anyone know what sort of hot drama happened with Neon in their scene to make everyone apparently hate him?

Last edited:

D e l t a

So anyone know what sort of hot drama happened with Neon in their scene to make everyone apparently hate him?
Wait, what?? Jordan is like the nicest person I've known in all of Smash history. Unless he's changed recently which is possible, but unlikely.

20PK

Smash Apprentice
IDK, just some of these comments by the AZ commentators don't seem too friendly. Albeit they might just be jokingly talking about it and I couldn't get the hard read on the sarcasm, IDK.

Also, video of my friendlies sesh is being uploaded but video processing is taking aaaggees :tired:

The video's at least two hours, so I'll just timestamp a couple of matches that you guys can give feedback on if you want (there's probably a lot to dig into, most of which I'm aware of but just haven't got around to practising yet).

Last edited:

D e l t a

IDK, just some of these comments by the AZ commentators don't seem too friendly. Albeit they might just be jokingly talking about it and I couldn't get the hard read on the sarcasm, IDK.

Also, video of my friendlies sesh is being uploaded but video processing is taking aaaggees :tired:

The video's at least two hours, so I'll just timestamp a couple of matches that you guys can give feedback on if you want (there's probably a lot to dig into, most of which I'm aware of but just haven't got around to practising yet).
I didn't really pay attention too much to their comments this time other than the K I P • T I P S part. They're heavily biased and sometimes funny to listen to.

Is the video you're uploading all you? I'd be hyped to see some good Lucas play for 2 hours rather than search on YouTube for someone that's half decent or watch only PF's last stock every game lol.

20PK

Smash Apprentice
The video gonna be just a friendlies rotation between me and 3, mostly 2, other players.
I'd be hyped to see some good Lucas play for 2 hours rather than search on YouTube for someone that's half decent or watch only PF's last stock every game lol.
good Lucas play
ahahahahahahasdhjkahjlasdf

I've only started playing last month and don't have fundamentals at all, so there'll be a lot to dig into.

Last edited:

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
Neon's not hated by AZ. They just like to point out of cockiness/snarky attitude and make fun of it.
That's what I get out of it at least.

D e l t a

The video gonna be just a friendlies rotation between me and 3, mostly 2, other players.

ahahahahahahasdhjkahjlasdf

I've only started playing last month and don't have fundamentals at all, so there'll be a lot to dig into.
Not to insult or be mean, thought it was Kipcom that was uploading the 2hr set after I saw he uploaded his friendlies match. Either way, I've seen some truly garbo Lucas' that only dash attack, grab, attempt PKF, and don't even understand how his Dair works. You probably can't be worse than that. If you are, then there's a ton of work ahead for you lol. At least you're in the right place with some of the better / more knowledgeable Lucas' currently

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
Which characters do you have trouble comboing? I've come close to figuring out true combos for most DI situations on all the weight classes.
Hmm, Marth, most light + floaty characters (peach, zelda, g&w), ZSS, Sonic, and a few others.

Basically character's who aren't at all combo food.

Squ0ldrive

Smash Apprentice
Hello Everyone! This is the post that we all have waiting for.

The Sadest Videos of Little Boys Ever

Do forgive the video res, I used a easily crap, wait Im mean Easycap to record the videos, that I got for 8 dollars online.
The gameplay is far below sub par, and I am likely the worst Lucas main out there. But that is ok, I plain on getting much better.
that is why I am post videos of my Lucas here to being with.

All these are CPU's because there is not any smash community in the town I live at.

The Videos

Video 1 :fox::toonlink::link2:and more i think
Here is the first video it is me playing Allstar mode. This video has highlight questions through out the video.

http://youtu.be/yEaf9Gvr8XU

Video 2 :pikachu2::luigi2::samus2:http://youtu.be/ezO9fqMYOCM

Video 3 :falco:http://youtu.be/8nZx6EkF8oc

Video 4 :marth::marth::marth: at the same time on FD!
http://youtu.be/FCooaECqPxo

Video 5 :ike:
http://youtu.be/An18IoBSqKM

Video 6 :fox:
http://youtu.be/i_TRfKLNayg

video 7 :samus2:
http://youtu.be/53NUJ_No3ao

Video 8 :zelda:
http://youtu.be/V1_s_zGYRik

Some Questions

The first question I have what are my bad habits?
The second question is what video call my "best" video.

How do I get the magnet in on someone?

what do I need to work on the most?

what should be the first thing I should change about my Lucas?

What was my worst play?

I would like any advice you can give me too!

Sur Fartsalot

Smash Apprentice
Ok, remember I am only trying to help you improve, and not try to criticize you. First: you up-smashed way to much., but I loved how you comboed fox into three up-smashes XD. Second, a lot of the time you seem to do dash attacks and go for the full-hop down air. Make sure you L-cancel, and go for the down-air with short-hop. You also go for down-B a lot. There were several times where I saw you crouch for down-B, but got hit. Third, spam side-b as fast as you can XD
Use it a lot more and use wavedash/wavelanding to cut lag. This may also help your movement. Sorry for the quick response, just have to prepare for a test:glare:
I will be able to look at it more in the weekend.

Sur Fartsalot

Smash Apprentice
Constant Upsmash, dash, magnet, downair, no l cancel attempts, no wavedash/wavelanding

Don't know only watched one.

Waveland into magnet/shorthop magnet

Movement and combo ability

Your comboing, don't use the same move over and over and grab a lot more. His grab is very long.

What was my worst play?
Spamming three up smash in a row. It worked on a cpu but a real person would DI

Remember, Im not trying to be super mean, just have to be very brief ATM

Sur Fartsalot

Smash Apprentice
Could have come out a bit nicer sorry :crying:
Just very busy ATM. I will be able to intensely look at it probably Thursday night after my test with some nicer advice :estatic:

D e l t a

Hello Everyone! This is the post that we all have waiting for.
The Sadest Videos of Little Boys Ever
Do forgive the video res, I used a easily crap, wait Im mean Easycap to record the videos, that I got for 8 dollars online.
The gameplay is far below sub par, and I am likely the worst Lucas main out there. But that is ok, I plain on getting much better.
that is why I am post videos of my Lucas here to being with.

All these are CPU's because there is not any smash community in the town I live at.

The Videos

Video 1 :fox::toonlink::link2:and more i think
Here is the first video it is me playing Allstar mode. This video has highlight questions through out the video.

http://youtu.be/yEaf9Gvr8XU

Video 2 :pikachu2::luigi2::samus2:http://youtu.be/ezO9fqMYOCM

Video 3 :falco:http://youtu.be/8nZx6EkF8oc

Video 4 :marth::marth::marth: at the same time on FD!
http://youtu.be/FCooaECqPxo

Video 5 :ike:
http://youtu.be/An18IoBSqKM

Video 6 :fox:
http://youtu.be/i_TRfKLNayg

video 7 :samus2:
http://youtu.be/53NUJ_No3ao

Video 8 :zelda:
http://youtu.be/V1_s_zGYRik

Some Questions

What was my worst play?

I would like any advice you can give me too!
I'll take a look later. Also, thank you for posting specific questions. Makes it slightly easier for me to work with :p

Scraket

Smash Ace
@Squ0ldrive it looks like you need to work on your fundamentals more (dash dancing, L-canceling, spacing, DI, etc). Movement is extremely important! Also you seem to use a lot of punishable moves like smashes, dash attacks, rolls, when you should be trying to find a combo opportunity.

Last edited:

Squ0ldrive

Smash Apprentice
@Squ0ldrive it looks like you need to work on your fundamentals more (dash dancing, L-canceling, spacing, DI, etc). Movement is extremely important! Also you seem to use a lot of punishable moves like smashes, dash attacks, rolls, when you should be trying to find a combo opportunity.
How would I go about looking for a combo opportunity?

D e l t a

How would I go about looking for a combo opportunity?
The beautiful thing about Lucas is that all of his combos past the simple 3 hit BnB combos are all custom combos. Most followups are constrained to certain moves after mid to high %. Knowing the knockback and direction Lucas' attacks send the opponent should tell you how to follow up the move you're currently doing. For instance, Fair sends the opponent either a short direction or medium direction approximately 20-40 degrees above horizontal. I know that the distance sourspot Fair sends opponents about 1/2 character length at 0%, 1 character length between 10-25%, 2 character lengths 25-40% etc. With this in the back of my mind while playing, I know that I can reach that distance with Lucas' fast bursts of speed and follow up my combo with any of his aerials, magnet, PKF, dash attack, Tilts or grab. I also am aware of most %'s at which the enemy gets knocked down by my attacks and the direction they are DI'ing. So if I see them getting too far away from Fair, I will use magnet to have them in the perfect spot to get hit by a better followup than trying to over-extend myself.

Recognizing how much knockback the enemy has is also key. Personally, it's just a feeling I have and I can tell exactly when they're in hitstun or not. For everyone else that doesn't have this ability, play around with debug mode and turn on hitbox / hitstun detection. You can see which of your combos are true combos and how much hitstun the enemy is in. You can also see the massive hitstun Wolf stays in from a grounded pop-up Dair over 100%. It's ridiculous lmao

Sur Fartsalot

Smash Apprentice
To sum it up, you basically can make combos out of practically anything with Lucas. Practice getting used to using tilts and magnets and observe the direction the fly. That way, when you face someone and are in that situation, you can predict which way they will fly, allowing you to follow up more easily. Of course their are easier moves that lead into combos, but that's really something you need to experiment yourself.

Sur Fartsalot

Smash Apprentice
Lol, just realized I'm talking a lot more on the lucas boards than wolf boards :bee:
Probably because Lucas is awesome :joyful:

Last edited:

D e l t a

^ Thank you. Lol I'm kinda wordy x_x I guess that's why I liked writing the Lucas guide so much. I got to say everything about my favorite PM character

Sur Fartsalot

Smash Apprentice
Lol you definitely got a lot to say, probably could bore Neon with your tech and nerdy facts :joyful:
Not that that's bad :)

Last edited:

Squ0ldrive

Smash Apprentice
The beautiful thing about Lucas is that all of his combos past the simple 3 hit BnB combos are all custom combos. Most followups are constrained to certain moves after mid to high %. Knowing the knockback and direction Lucas' attacks send the opponent should tell you how to follow up the move you're currently doing. For instance, Fair sends the opponent either a short direction or medium direction approximately 20-40 degrees above horizontal. I know that the distance sourspot Fair sends opponents about 1/2 character length at 0%, 1 character length between 10-25%, 2 character lengths 25-40% etc. With this in the back of my mind while playing, I know that I can reach that distance with Lucas' fast bursts of speed and follow up my combo with any of his aerials, magnet, PKF, dash attack, Tilts or grab. I also am aware of most %'s at which the enemy gets knocked down by my attacks and the direction they are DI'ing. So if I see them getting too far away from Fair, I will use magnet to have them in the perfect spot to get hit by a better followup than trying to over-extend myself.

Recognizing how much knockback the enemy has is also key. Personally, it's just a feeling I have and I can tell exactly when they're in hitstun or not. For everyone else that doesn't have this ability, play around with debug mode and turn on hitbox / hitstun detection. You can see which of your combos are true combos and how much hitstun the enemy is in. You can also see the massive hitstun Wolf stays in from a grounded pop-up Dair over 100%. It's ridiculous lmao
Thank you, this really helps honestly.

D e l t a

Lol you definitely got a lot to say, probably could bore Neon with your tech and nerdy facts :joyful:
Not that that's bad :)
real rep, I wished Neon went to Shots Fired. That was a main motivator for me to attend. I would love to have one tourney to attend that he was there just to see his Lucas in person and discuss Lucas stuff. Why is he so cool? lol

Sur Fartsalot

Smash Apprentice
real rep, I wished Neon went to Shots Fired. That was a main motivator for me to attend. I would love to have one tourney to attend that he was there just to see his Lucas in person and discuss Lucas stuff. Why is he so cool? lol
Lucas well its hard to get perfect combos but when you do it just gets awesome ( like with wolf XD
Neon, well Neon is like supposedly the only viable Lucas maimed so why wouldn't he b awesome? :awesome:

D e l t a

Lucas well its hard to get perfect combos but when you do it just gets awesome ( like with wolf XD
Neon, well Neon is like supposedly the only viable Lucas maimed so why wouldn't he b awesome? :awesome:
Neon is a super cool guy and does flashy, yet really effective stuff with Lucas while still maintaining great spacing and awareness. Pink Fresh's Lucas is also viable

D e l t a

Neon's still awesome with the character, it's just that nerfs in PM are "oh this character / move is really good? Let's nerf it by slowing it down"

Pink Fresh is good, but not as good as neon and doesn't have his style =D
I bash on PF's Lucas only because I know the potential he has, but doesn't attain the higher levels with the character. He misses a lot of basic stuff and doesn't do everything to the best of the character's ability that I feel PF could do. There's little nuances about his gameplay that just irk me, such as not fully spacing Bairs to get the sweetspot, not doing the most optimal followups- he'll do 4 Dairs in a row rather than use a Uair/Utilt and get a better combo / damage output. The main reasons that PF loses are because his opponents know the Lucas MU, how to properly DI/SDI the characters moves, and not get super gimmicked. And he doesn't really practice outside of tournaments. So that doesn't help much...

He's a high-level player using a character with lots of potential doing mid-level play until his last stock.

Top Bottom