• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Watching Little Boys: A Lucas Video Thread

Master WGS

Smash Lord
If you post a video, please format it as such:

Player (Lucas) vs Player (Character): link to video

Doing it like that will make it a lot easier for me to organize in THIS post. Once videos start being posted, they'll be organized alphabetically by character, then alphabetically by player, then alphabetically by opponent player. Matches of the same players will be listed in chronological order, with the newest videos on top. Tournament and money matches will be underlined. Netplay matches will be denoted with *.

Bowser

Captain Falcon

Dron (Lucas) vs Fatality (CF)
HF Neon (Lucas) vs. GV7 (G&W and Falcon)

Charizard
Chaser (Lucas) vs Killanator (Charizard)

Diddy Kong
Master WGS (Lucas) vs Mathos (Diddy)
Pink_Fresh (Lucas) vs Boss (Diddy) WF
Pink_Fresh (Lucas) vs Boss (Diddy) GF
Pink Fresh (Lucas) vs Ninjalink (Diddy/Roy)

Donkey Kong

Falco

Chaser (Lucas) vs Dr. Yogi (Falco)
Dron (Lucas) vs Ragnarock (Link, Falco, Marth) GF
HF Neon (Lucas) vs. Hashtag (Roy and Falco) WF

Kip (Lucas) vs. TKBreezy (Falco)*

Fox
HF Neon (Lucas) vs. Dalton (Fox)
Yars Revengerson (Lucas) vs Omni (Fox)

Ganondorf

Ice Climbers

Ike

Dron (Lucas) vs Billy (Ike)

Ivysaur
Chaser (Lucas) vs Killanator (Ivysaur)
Chaser (Lucas) vs Killanator (Ivysaur)
Master WGS (Lucas) vs Papa (Ivysaur)
Pink Fresh (Lucas) vs DarkBlues (Ivysaur)

Jigglypuff
Master WGS (Lucas/Marth) vs Soulpech (Jigglypuff)

King Dedede

Kirby

Link

Lucario

Lucas

Coco Thunder vs Master WGS (Lucas/Diddy)
Lore vs Veishi
Oracle vs HF Neon

Luigi

Mario

Dron (Lucas) vs Scatz (Mario)
HF Neon (Lucas) vs. ArchAngel (Pit and Mario)
Veishi(Lucas) VS GhostAnime (Mario)
Veishi(Lucas) vs. GhostAnime (Mario)

Marth
HammerTime (Lucas) vs Shaeden (Marth)
HF Neon (Lucas) vs. Ic3 (Marth)
Shenk (Lucas) vs Arcadia (Marth)

Metaknight
Yars Revengerson (Lucas) vs Squeak (MK)

Mewtwo

Mr. Game and Watch

HF Neon (Lucas) vs. GV7 (G&W and Falcon)
Yars Revengerson (Lucas) vs Nintendude (GnW)

Ness
Dron (Lucas) vs 4D (Ness)
Kip (Lucas) vs. TKBreezy (Ness)*

Olimar
HF Neon (Lucas) vs. SS (Olimar) GF Set 1

Peach

Pikachu

Kip (Lucas) vs. TKBreezy (Pikachu)*
Kip (Lucas) vs. TKBreezy (Pikachu)*

Pit
HF Neon (Lucas) vs ArchAngel (Pit and Mario)

R.O.B.
Yars Revengerson (Lucas) vs JCaeasar (R.O.B.)
Yars Revengerson (Lucas) vs JCaesar (R.O.B.)

Roy
HF Neon (Lucas) vs. Hashtag (Roy and Falco) WF
JP (Lucas) vs PKFuzzy (Roy)
Pink Fresh (Lucas) vs Ninjalink (Diddy/Roy)

Samus
Pink_Fresh (Lucas) vs Esam (Samus)

Sheik

Snake

Chaser (Lucas) vs Sneak (Snake)

Sonic
Yars Revengerson (Lucas) vs 2Fast (Sonic)
Squirtle

Toon Link

Master WGS (Lucas) vs OLA (Toon Link)
Wario
Chaser (Lucas) vs Dr. Yogi (Wario)

Wolf
Dron (Lucas) vs Alex615 (Wolf)

Yoshi

Zelda

Zero Suit Samus

Clade (Lucas/Kirby) vs Purple-H (ZSS)

Misc. Videos
8adge's DJC Tutorial

Last edited:

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I was going to respond with something along the lines of "... dude that's ****ed up", but decided not to post without contributing any videos to the thread.

Like I am right now.

Whoops :x

(that is a funny title though, well chosen)

:059:

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I've started uploading videos. Feel free to tell me how awful I am, because I was playing like garbage last night. Missing jc'd grabs, djcs, and tether recoveries everywhere.

Z-Z

Smash Rookie
Hey guys new to smash-boards but i saw this forum and i thought maybe some people would like to check out me and a couple of my friends new you-tube channel sense we just bought a capture card http://www.youtube.com/user/WNYSmash i just started playing Lucas a bit, there's only 2 videos of my Lucas up right now because we just started uploading. will be streaming soon as well. And constructive criticism is always welcome:) And ik my platform game is weak:( dirty combos though:)

No U

Smash Journeyman
I might have some doubles videos up in a couple weeks, I'll post them here even if that's not the kind of thing that'll be in the op.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I'll give doubles vids their own mini-section, I guess. It's sometimes useful to see footage of your character in teams to come up with ideas.

For instance, I never use Lucas in teams because I think he tends to be more of a liability than a good partner. A lot of his play feels like it takes a lot of stage-space to really carry out, and having a teammate to look out for makes that way harder to do.

Looking forward to your teams stuff.

$1.05

Smash Rookie
Nice thread but I am not really a fan of DK getting kicked in the head lol. On that note, I need to start playing DK more. But seriously guys, where them Lucas vids?

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
But seriously guys, where them Lucas vids?
I might try and record a few matches either tomorrow or this weekend. :)

edit: watched some of your matches Master WGS, i think you should experiment with hit confirming jab into down b, you almost always do your full jab string, but you can basically link to down b which can lead to more combo. just my .02 $

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I thought the amount of time you have to delay in order to get the downb was punishable? I might be wrong, though... I'll give it a whirl next chance I get.

Sartron

Smash Journeyman
Nice matches. What do you think of small stages like Warioware? It looked like it restricted your combo potential, but small stages are great for our back air.

Also, do you know what recording device was used? It has pretty good resolution and quality.

Dron

Smash Apprentice
I have mixed feelings about small stages, easy bair/offstage dair/usmash kills are always good but I feel most of his combo potential will be horizontal-oriented and so he needs a good bit of horizontal space to work with

I don't think giving the opponent too much space to run is good either, especially vertically

stuff like Pokemon Stadium and Smashville or even FD I feel would be good picks for him in most matchups

I don't have a lot of experience in general though, so I'm not really certain

p.s. I use the Hauppauge HD PVR, but it's made for HD stuff and is kinda expensive so I wouldn't really recommend it. I hear the Dazzle is just as good for non-HD recording and I think it's way cheaper

fZk

Smash Lord
This wekend I got second in a tourney with Lucas. This was my second time playing the game (first for 2.5) with actual people and would appreciate any tips or advice you guys want to throw out. I missed a bunch of DACUS and can't double jump cancel for **** :(

Here are the vids:

LHT5 Project M Winner Bracket: fZk (Lucas) vs Tech_Chase (sheik)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MCt18eJ5Pc

LHT5 Project M Grand Finals 1: fZk (Lucas) vs SuperTH (various)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xeg779DLxQw

LHT5 Project M Grand Finals 2 - fZk (Lucas) vs. SuperTH (Sonic, Sheik)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdl3lVSimvQ

LHT5 Project M Winner Finals - fZk (Lucas) vs SuperTH (Sonic)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF6mP5c8-G0

Other vids form the tourney, including more of me, will be uploaded to that channel later.

Calabrel

Smash Apprentice
I liked it, very nice. I liked the movement you had and the utilization of the djc uair. I noticed you never did Lucas' Offense Up, is this a preference of yours? I do know that currently it has slightly less knockback, but I feel like the extra damage, plus how flashy it looks makes up for it.

One thing I would ask you to consider, is utilizing his down-b to turn him around off stage, to set up for bairs, fairs, or tethers. Lucas' up-b is very punishable, and while you seem to aim it very well, tether is always the safer option.

Anyhow, thanks for posting, enjoyed watching it, gave a like.

Edit: Oh, and please teach Roflcopter to meteor cancel :p

Dron

Smash Apprentice
thanks dude

to be honest, I really should start charging OU more often now that I've actually started implementing smashes (although still almost exclusively usmash) into my game more

before, I figured that just applying pressure while invincible would be better than charging something I didn't even really know how to utilize

I also probably have some opportunities to charge it that I can take instead of mindlessly spamming tech skill between stocks
(although that's a hard habit to break admittedly :cool:)

thanks for the tether advice!

and yeah, I'm still teaching him the basics like L-cancelling/wavedashing, but he hasn't been playing much at all so his improvement hasn't been really up to par lately (which is a shame because he's the only person I can really play right now that stands a chance)

we're hopefully going to our first tournament this month though, so hopefully I'll actually be able to get some fresh new counter-tactics thrust on me to help me improve

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
Glad to see someone has set up a resource like this. Even happier to see it being currently maintained, much thanks.

Calabrel

Smash Apprentice
This wekend I got second in a tourney with Lucas. This was my second time playing the game (first for 2.5) with actual people and would appreciate any tips or advice you guys want to throw out. I missed a bunch of DACUS and can't double jump cancel for **** :(
Man, I wish you hadn't spoiled that for me, that came down to the wire, awesome to watch. Okay, I have a lot to talk about, I hope you're ready:

The biggest: nair, and more specifically the short-hop nair. It's Lucas' safest and the move that will deal the most pressure on an opponent, learn to harness its power and use it, a lot. There will be times when I'm just doing short hop nairs back and forth across the stage just to get my opponent to panic.

The nair is also important as an out of shield (oos) option. So many times Sonic down-b through your shield, and came back. Every time he does that, you should have jumped out of shield and nair, if you time it correctly you could even get it as he comes forward with it, it has so many hit boxes that it will out-prioritize many moves. So be sure you jump out of shield with nairs to deal with shield pressure.

I learned something amazing watching your videos, the dash away, pivot grab is amazing with Lucas, I'll definitely be adding that to my gameplay, know that every time you see a video of me and I do that, it's because of you. Awesome work.

Your recovery: Okay, you got gimped out of up-b a lot during the first couple of matches, you were more conservative with your double-jump later on, which is good. I saw you attempt to the the down-b recovery technique a few times, and it didn't work out for you too well. This is because you were doing down-b too quickly, and weren't allowing Lucas to gain forward momentum before you did a down-b again. So space out the magnets to recover. There will be times that I'm knocked high that I just down-b recover several times, then air dodge and tether, not even burning my double-jump, which is can be helpful if you get hit while you're trying to tether, you'll still have your double-jump.

The DACUS, I know it's way harder to do in 2.5, I have so much trouble with it, I don't even bother to try it anymore, you got quite a bit of them, but I was noticing when you were trying and messed up, it also looked like you boost-grabbed when you meant to DACUS a few times too.

u-tilt: you got a lot of really good grabs on them using that pivot grab technique that was so sexy. However, when you down throw at low, or no percent, it's more beneficial to use two to three up tilts then combo into an aerial. I've down down throw, up-tilt, up-tilt, back air quite a few times on people, or u-tilt, short hop d-air, jab reset, and then grab them again. Experiment with it a little bit. down throw up smash is definitely what you want to do at higher percent, but experiment with u-tilt at lower percents after the down throw.

DJC: Yes, it's a difficult technique to master especially when you mess up and you're stuck high in the air without your double jump, which is very bad. One thing you should practice, which may help you with DJC in the future, is DJC side-b projectiles. Watch my vids to see what kind of movement you can get with them, it's faster, you can get your side-b very very low to the ground and you can have better spacing/moving while doing side-b. There's almost no reason to not DJC side-b.

Movement, Lucas is that weight that's perfect for combos, especially grab combos, if a character can do combos out of grabs, they can do it very hard against Lucas. To counter that, I make my Lucas as mobile as possible so it keeps them guessing. This will also be helpful against Sonic especially if he's trying to hit you with homing attack. I saw you using nice movement in between stocks using wavedashes and dash-dancing. Take a chance at utilizing that movement during play, see if you can get your opponent to make a mistake and then punish him hard with it, likely with a short hop nair. Did I mention that's his best move? :p

One last thing. I was definitely loving those uair, falling uair, up smash combos, every time I was like: Get ****ed up!

Sorry you lost that match, you were gaining a lot of momentum after winners finals, and honestly those unfortunate gimps are what cost it for you in the end. Next time you'll get him though. I look forward to seeing how you do next time.

Calabrel

Smash Apprentice
thanks dude

to be honest, I really should start charging OU more often now that I've actually started implementing smashes (although still almost exclusively usmash) into my game more

before, I figured that just applying pressure while invincible would be better than charging something I didn't even really know how to utilize

I also probably have some opportunities to charge it that I can take instead of mindlessly spamming tech skill between stocks
(although that's a hard habit to break admittedly :cool:)

thanks for the tether advice!

and yeah, I'm still teaching him the basics like L-cancelling/wavedashing, but he hasn't been playing much at all so his improvement hasn't been really up to par lately (which is a shame because he's the only person I can really play right now that stands a chance)

we're hopefully going to our first tournament this month though, so hopefully I'll actually be able to get some fresh new counter-tactics thrust on me to help me improve
I'm in the same boat as you in terms of people to play. I have two guys that are pretty good, but don't do AT's as much as I try to encourage it, actually lately they've been experimenting with wavedashing, but they need to l-cancel. I have to travel 90 minutes to play people with AT's, which I do everytime they host a smashfest on weekends. All my videos so far have been with those guys.

I recently bought a capture card so I can record videos, but it'll be against the guys who don't use ATs. I'm conflicted about posting them, but I think I will anyway.

Spamming techskill in between stocks are way too fun, I know that feels. However, if you're doing it correctly, and you're not dying, you should still be able to spam in between stocks. I only use usmash and dsmash usually, and I only use dsmash after jab resets... but it works so well for that. And usmash is typically only for guaranteed things. I've recently started noticing how fsmash can be helpful, which is to say for heavy characters that can't recover well, such as falcon, sheik, spacies. It's fast so you can do it after down-throw when you don't have enough time to usmash. Oh, also, fsmash works well after down-tilt when they're at that percent where they start popping up off the ground.

And yes, I still get criticism for charging up during my invincibility frames. Lucas isn't very good at chasing people, so I don't usually find great uses for his invincibility frames, and some of my better opponents are getting smarter about punishing that behavior such as starting a move on me with multiple hit boxes and basically trapping me in the hit. I've thought of a way to counter it, but it's untested... I plan on starting to charge up, but then stopping shortly after, this will draw my opponent to me hoping to take advantage of that, and then I punish them while I still have invincibility. I hope it works... wish me luck!

Calabrel

Smash Apprentice
I have mixed feelings about small stages, easy bair/offstage dair/usmash kills are always good but I feel most of his combo potential will be horizontal-oriented and so he needs a good bit of horizontal space to work with

I don't think giving the opponent too much space to run is good either, especially vertically

stuff like Pokemon Stadium and Smashville or even FD I feel would be good picks for him in most matchups

I don't have a lot of experience in general though, so I'm not really certain
You're very correct about your stages. Lucas has extremely nice horizontal movement, it allows him to pressure and combo most effectively, smaller stages and platforms only hinder it, plus he's very bad at chasing on platforms. Yoshi's I would say is one of Lucas' worst stages, he has very good horizontal recovery if you utilize down-b properly and that's hindered by Yoshi's, plus he can't move around on it like he needs to. His best stages are FD, Smashville, Green Hill, Stadium 2, Dreamland.

Dron

Smash Apprentice
Spamming techskill in between stocks are way too fun, I know that feels. However, if you're doing it correctly, and you're not dying, you should still be able to spam in between stocks. I only use usmash and dsmash usually, and I only use dsmash after jab resets... but it works so well for that. And usmash is typically only for guaranteed things. I've recently started noticing how fsmash can be helpful, which is to say for heavy characters that can't recover well, such as falcon, sheik, spacies. It's fast so you can do it after down-throw when you don't have enough time to usmash. Oh, also, fsmash works well after down-tilt when they're at that percent where they start popping up off the ground.

And yes, I still get criticism for charging up during my invincibility frames. Lucas isn't very good at chasing people, so I don't usually find great uses for his invincibility frames, and some of my better opponents are getting smarter about punishing that behavior such as starting a move on me with multiple hit boxes and basically trapping me in the hit. I've thought of a way to counter it, but it's untested... I plan on starting to charge up, but then stopping shortly after, this will draw my opponent to me hoping to take advantage of that, and then I punish them while I still have invincibility. I hope it works... wish me luck!
actually that's a good point to make - OU probably shouldn't need to be charged more than once per fight as long as the smashes are used correctly

as of right now I'd say my biggest flaw in general is lack of accuracy and poor decision-making, although it's gotten exponentially better the past few months since I started playing Smash, and I'm sure that'll become less of a problem as I get more familiar with combos and situations

but yeah, playing more patiently and going for more guaranteed stuff will probably help out my play in the future (for some reason I tend to
always overcomplicate things and ignore obvious up-smash opportunities particularly)

p.s. I'm totally jealous of the u-tilt/down-air/jab reset shenanigans, I think I'll steal that and maybe use it at super low percents as a mix-up to DJC up-air spam

Burnsy

Smash Lord
You're very correct about your stages. Lucas has extremely nice horizontal movement, it allows him to pressure and combo most effectively, smaller stages and platforms only hinder it, plus he's very bad at chasing on platforms. Yoshi's I would say is one of Lucas' worst stages, he has very good horizontal recovery if you utilize down-b properly and that's hindered by Yoshi's, plus he can't move around on it like he needs to. His best stages are FD, Smashville, Green Hill, Stadium 2, Dreamland.
I don't think he's bad at chasing on platforms at all, although I do generally agree with those being most of his best stages. Why Green Hill though? I also like Green Hill as Lucas, but I can't think of exactly why off the the top of my head, other than there being sides that he can ride up with his up-b recovery.

Also, I finally have some videos up!

I've already noticed a lot of execution mistakes, my tech skill is still really inconsistent and I noticed this awful habit I've developed of using my roll to turn around. I get a few nice combos though. Let me know what you guys think :).

Tournament:

VS Relic (Fox) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7b9GEwlAcQ
VS ZMan (Lucario) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXaCrLvGKBw

Friendlies:

VS GV7 (Falcon) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfi9O6RnEYc
VS Dookdigity (Mario) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcrW1M4iPXY

Calabrel

Smash Apprentice
Yes, I meant Yoshi's Story. And I like Green Hill because it's enough space for Lucas' movement and has far blast zones. Plus opponents can't camp the platform.

:phone:

Calabrel

Smash Apprentice
Master WGS, I have a whole bunch of vids with my Lucas, would you rather I just posted them all, or just pick and choose them based on what I feel the best are?

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I'd say post them all unless there are ones you think wouldn't serve any real analytical purpose. Or if you'd just prefer highlights, I suppose that's fine.

Whatever you want people seeing, really.

fZk

Smash Lord
Man, I wish you hadn't spoiled that for me, that came down to the wire, awesome to watch. Okay, I have a lot to talk about, I hope you're ready:

The biggest: nair, and more specifically the short-hop nair. It's Lucas' safest and the move that will deal the most pressure on an opponent, learn to harness its power and use it, a lot. There will be times when I'm just doing short hop nairs back and forth across the stage just to get my opponent to panic.

The nair is also important as an out of shield (oos) option. So many times Sonic down-b through your shield, and came back. Every time he does that, you should have jumped out of shield and nair, if you time it correctly you could even get it as he comes forward with it, it has so many hit boxes that it will out-prioritize many moves. So be sure you jump out of shield with nairs to deal with shield pressure.

I learned something amazing watching your videos, the dash away, pivot grab is amazing with Lucas, I'll definitely be adding that to my gameplay, know that every time you see a video of me and I do that, it's because of you. Awesome work.

Your recovery: Okay, you got gimped out of up-b a lot during the first couple of matches, you were more conservative with your double-jump later on, which is good. I saw you attempt to the the down-b recovery technique a few times, and it didn't work out for you too well. This is because you were doing down-b too quickly, and weren't allowing Lucas to gain forward momentum before you did a down-b again. So space out the magnets to recover. There will be times that I'm knocked high that I just down-b recover several times, then air dodge and tether, not even burning my double-jump, which is can be helpful if you get hit while you're trying to tether, you'll still have your double-jump.

The DACUS, I know it's way harder to do in 2.5, I have so much trouble with it, I don't even bother to try it anymore, you got quite a bit of them, but I was noticing when you were trying and messed up, it also looked like you boost-grabbed when you meant to DACUS a few times too.

u-tilt: you got a lot of really good grabs on them using that pivot grab technique that was so sexy. However, when you down throw at low, or no percent, it's more beneficial to use two to three up tilts then combo into an aerial. I've down down throw, up-tilt, up-tilt, back air quite a few times on people, or u-tilt, short hop d-air, jab reset, and then grab them again. Experiment with it a little bit. down throw up smash is definitely what you want to do at higher percent, but experiment with u-tilt at lower percents after the down throw.

DJC: Yes, it's a difficult technique to master especially when you mess up and you're stuck high in the air without your double jump, which is very bad. One thing you should practice, which may help you with DJC in the future, is DJC side-b projectiles. Watch my vids to see what kind of movement you can get with them, it's faster, you can get your side-b very very low to the ground and you can have better spacing/moving while doing side-b. There's almost no reason to not DJC side-b.

Movement, Lucas is that weight that's perfect for combos, especially grab combos, if a character can do combos out of grabs, they can do it very hard against Lucas. To counter that, I make my Lucas as mobile as possible so it keeps them guessing. This will also be helpful against Sonic especially if he's trying to hit you with homing attack. I saw you using nice movement in between stocks using wavedashes and dash-dancing. Take a chance at utilizing that movement during play, see if you can get your opponent to make a mistake and then punish him hard with it, likely with a short hop nair. Did I mention that's his best move? :p

One last thing. I was definitely loving those uair, falling uair, up smash combos, every time I was like: Get ****ed up!

Sorry you lost that match, you were gaining a lot of momentum after winners finals, and honestly those unfortunate gimps are what cost it for you in the end. Next time you'll get him though. I look forward to seeing how you do next time.
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

I was definitely underusing nair, I spam nair like crazy with Lucas on regular Brawl so I don't know why I don't use it as much here but I will incorporate it into my game more, it's really good. Looking back at the vids a cringe every time I throw out a random grab at nothing, those are definitely missed DACUS. I feel that if I had gotten it more consistently I would have won. I think I was using the magnet while recovering just to stall in the air for a bit and try to bait a reaction from my opponent. Does he gain any distance with the magnet (magnet pull?) in P:M?

The game is surprisingly fun so I will definitely start playing it more.

No U

Smash Journeyman
Well here's a couple sets and matches I had last week. I kinda got in this angry loop of faildacusing multiple times and then continuing to try it at inopportune moments until I managed to at least get it, even though trying that got me punished like 5x by that point... but whatever, when I'm finally perfectly dacusing every time I need it it'll be worth it.

Anyways here's a sequence of money matches I had against Eggz where he played mostly Lucario and a little Pit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwKA4RXsCwU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Y-W1i8TOA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qLY6F9ZdnQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUbas21zaqo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftn5xq_H2zE

and here's a few friendlies with me getting wrecked by omgage

vs ROB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxvTmrkty8Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR3Enc2A8KI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4KyNjcsgJQ

vs Wolf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2bpYQ6mygI

vs Fox (played by Ratking)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWKL3vQ0LVc

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I'll update this sometime tonight. I wish there weren't two "spoiler" things for each one I made, but I can't fix it on my end. At first I thought it was the images, but it does it for the outdated list too...

Anyway, sorry if that bothers any of you as much as it bothers me. I asked about it in the announcement discussion and got no response, so it probably won't be fixed for a while.

Badge

Smash Apprentice
I made this video while experimenting with Lucas' shieldpressure, it includes short examples of all the major options I could think of:

Tool-Assisted Shieldpressure Compilation

I also prepared a quite extensive description detailing all moves used per clip, framedata and possible applications, that I originally planned to include on Youtube for easy reference. It seems though that it has gotten too long, so now I post it here on Smashboards. Due to being written for Youtube you may find some of it obvious, but to be honest I don't feel like typing it all over again:

Overview
While you usually won't be able to react and space perfectly, the general components of the video are all humanly possible to do. I'd say this kind of shield pressure is about as hard as the corresponding spacie stuff, but it varies depending on the technique in question. All the shield pressure variants are imperfect in that they don't keep the enemy shieldstunned permanently and can be rolled out of. Still the disjointedness and/or speed easily beat most out of shield options if used properly. The best ways I found to get out of Lucas' shield pressure are Shield DI to mess up the spacing and rolling, both of which can be dealt with if read. I didn't notice any effect of stale during my tests, but it may have an impact at high levels of stale. Note that I don't insist all of this will be useful in practice, I've just been gathering ideas.

Details
Ness: Standard pressure (0:04-0:08)
(DownB->DJC FAir)*3
Generic shield pressure. Ness doesn't react and gets shieldbroken 107 frames after Lucas' first DownB connects. The next hitbox is active 7 frames after the end of the first FAir's shieldstun, 3 after DownB's. I sourspotted FAir during this sequence. Sweetspotting it would increase the shield stun after it by 1 frame, but it's hard to get the FAir sweetspot and still be in range for PSI Magnet.

Bowser 1 (Mars): FAir only (0:10-0:11)
(DJC FAir)*3->Grab
This method relies on spacing alone. Bowser's UpB is too big for standard pressure to be safe, so DownB gets left out in favor of better FAir-spacing. Bowser tries to UpB in the 11 frames retaliation window after the second FAir, but gets beaten by the third one.

Sheik: NAir crossup & roll call (0:12-0:13)
DJC FAir->NAir crossup->Turnaround DownB->Wavedash->Grab
NAir can be used to cross up opponents and mess up with their OOS-timing, but it has both more end lag than FAir. If timed as soon as possible NAir hits on the first frame opponents can jump/roll out of shield, but it gives the opponent opportunity to act for a few frames before the landing hit connects. If NAir is delayed by 4 frames like I did in the video the landing hitbox connects on the first frame after shieldstun.
Sheik tries to roll out after the crossup, but a wavedash grab easily catches it after being called correctly.

Ivysaur: Multimagnet v1 (0:14-0:19)
DownB->(JC->DownB)*8->Fulljump OffenseUp
Ivysaur tries to Shield-DI away but ends off getting shieldbroken and subsequently killed via OffenseUp-wind. There's a 5 frame retaliation window between the shines, which makes this kind of pressure still unsafe against characters with fast out of shield options. Ivy's OOS options are too slow for that so her best bet would have been rolling, which takes 32 frames - theoretically enough for a human to punish on reaction.
This version of Multimagnet is relatively easy to execute, but isn't quite as good as the next one.

Jigglypuff 1 (Sleeping Cap): Multimagnet v2 (0:20-0:21)
DownB->(JC-1>DownB->DJ->DownB)*2->JC-1>DownB
"-1>" means delayed by 1 frame
This is probably the nearest Lucas can get to perfect shield pressure. There are only 2 frames between shieldstun and an active hitbox after the ground jumps and apart from that the opponent is permanently shield stunned. Means that very few characters can do anything but roll/spotdodge and even with a godly UpB like Bowser you have to be nearly frame perfect to escape.
It's also the most difficult to perform shield pressure technique in this video.

Peach: Mixups (0:22-0:24)
DJC FAir->DownB->DJC DAir->DownB->Instant NAir (Shieldpoke)->Grab
Peach's best chance of getting out of a standard shieldpressure combo would have been after the second FAir. A DJC DAir in its place hits 6 frames later messing up Peach's UpB timing and makes her shield eat DownB, after which an early NAir is guaranteed to connect with either Peach or her shield. In this case she gets shieldpoked and grabbed.

Fox: Shield DI to get out (0:25-0:27)
(DJC FAir)*3->Wavedash->FAir
Fox Shield DIs, forces FAir only pressure and then comfortly gets out of it by shield DIing out of DownB and later even FAir range. Lucas uses his longer Wavedash and disjointed FAir to catch up with Fox and beat NAir, but can't reliably combo out of it because Fox falls too fast.

Snake: Working around the grenade (0:28-0:31)
NAir crossup->Turnaround DownB->Double DJC-FAir->Combo
The NAir crossup has to be perfectly spaced and timed late enough to not eat the grenade but prevents it from getting in the way of subsequent attacks.

Squirtle/Marth: Baiting Up-B OOS (0:31-0:33)
DJC FAir->DownB->DJC FAir->Punish
Squirtle's and Marth's UpB be both are fast enough to be used between FAir and DownB and have better disjoint than FAir. By spacing FAir wide enough away from shield Lucas denies himself a DownB-followup but also leaves Squirtle and Marth wide open for a punish, if they go for an upB.
I went for flashy punishes in the video, both are far from optimal.

Falco: DownB grab (0:34-0:35)
(DJC FAir->DownB)*2->JC Grab
Of course, grab out of DownB can also be a viable mixup. It is easily spotdodged, though, if the opponent sees it coming and leaves Lucas wide open if it whiffs.

Falcon: Random semi-flashy stuff (0:36-0:38)
DJC FAir->DownB->NAir->DownB->DownB->DJC DAir
Another PSI magnet instead of the DAir would have broken the shield as well and considerably faster, but I like the looks of DJC DAirs. : p

Mr. Game And Watch: Jab pressure (0:39-0:40)
DJC FAir->(Jab 1->CC)*2->Jab 1->Jab 2
Mostly to show how fast you can chain Jab 1 into itself - frame wise this pressure is garbage. See "Frame info" below for a jab pressure retaliation window list.

Bowser 2 (Maritime): Multimagnet Mixup (0:40-0.42)
(Jump-1>DownB->DJ->DownB)*2->JC->NAir->DownB
Bowser is one of the few characters who have an OOS option fast enough to escape Multimagnet pressure in his UpB. Still, the timing for it is very strict and a NAir mixup catches it (and any other OOS option) by hitting on frame 1 after shieldstun. In this sequence the only hole is the one after the first Multimagnet loop. The NAir hits on the very first frame after shieldstun and also would have shieldpoked Bowser's then tiny shield had he not tried to UpB (you can't see it, but he did).
The biggest problems with this pressure seem to be initiation and technical execution.

Jigglypuff 2 (Mars): Maximum distance spacing (0:42-0:45)
DJC FAir->DownB (shieldpoke)->DAir
The running DJC Fair was used on the first frame for Lucas to still be in range for DownB after it connected. This distance is of course dependent on the opposing character and shield DI. A maximum distance DownB suprisingly shieldpokes Jigglypuff, setting up for just about any followup. Lucas chooses to try to go for a techchase after DAir, but unfortunately Jigglypuff can jump before hitting the ground and rests Lucas. Maximum distance SDI and worst possible DI secure the kill.

Toon Link: More Multimagnet (0:45-0:47)
Bombcatch->Bombdrop->(DownB->DJ->DownB->JC)*2->DownB->DJ->NeutralB
The bomb actually doesn't do much here, but it hits one frame before the last Magnet and shows how fast this stuff is compared it. The more interesting stuff here is that you can initiate a (DownB->DJ->DownB->JC) just before landing from a shorthop and the usage of B-Reversals to cross up Toon Link.

Zelda: Magnet hold shenanigans (0:47-0:49)
DownB(21)->DJ->DownB(10)->JC->DownB(10)->DJ->DownB(10)->JC WD->USmash
The number behind each DownB indicates how many frames it was held including startup.
Now we're getting tricky. First a floating PSI Magnet is used to initiate and held for one additional repitition (11 frames). The repitition hitboxes of DownB only have 5 frames of shieldstun/hitlag, so it offers a 6 frame retaliation window, which is 1 frame more than even Multimagnet v1. What it does, though, is let Lucas float to the ground with ok shield pressure.
The first 7 frames of holding actually don't increase the time Magnet is out due to startup, so each of the DownBs is actually only held for 3 more frames than necessary. When tapped the release hitbox would hit the opponent exactly 3 frames before he is able to act. The soonest frame any OOS option is invincible is frame 2 (spotdodges). Thus the effect of these 3 frames of additional hold time is that opponents who try to act out of shield as soon as possible get hit. This makes buffering rolls/spotdodges via C-stick unsafe when the input occurs too soon. Mind that using C-stick buffer still increases the window to input the command by 9 frames, but it can't be used at any but 1 frame of the whole sequence. You could also use different release timings to further mess with your opponents timings.
To get back to the video example. After floating to the ground Lucas starts usual Multimagnet pressure but with the release hitboxes delayed by 3 frames. Zelda tries to buffer a spotdodge but does it too soon and gets hit.

Frame info
All unstaled.

Advantage on shield:
PSI Magnet: +7 (Jump)
Sweetspot DJC FAir: -1
Sourspot DJC FAir: -2
DJC DAir: -3
NAir landing hit: -4
DJC UAir: -4
Jab 1: -8 (Crouch)
Jab 2: -17

Frame of the first hitbox:
NAir: 4
FAir: 5
UAir: 5
PSI Magnet: 5
PSI Magnet (aerial->ground transition): 8
DAir: 10

Lucas jump is 4 frames and DJCing an aerial takes at least one frame. Thus a perfect DJC FAir from the ground takes 10 frames until the hitbox comes out. For DAir the DJC has to be delayed by one frame or it hits the ground before the hitbox comes out. Same for UAir if you want the main hitboxes.

The second version of Magnet occurs when Lucas transitions from air to ground with DownB during v1 Multimagnets.

Jab pressure retaliation windows:
Sourspot FAir->Jab 1: 6 frames
Jab 1->Jab 2.1: 5 frames
Jab 2.1->Jab 2.5: 3 frames
Jab 1->Jab 1: 13 frames
Jab 2.5->Jab 1: 22 frames
Jab 1->DTilt: 11 frames

Each one in frames after end of shieldstun that the next hitbox comes out.

Move Timings in frames
DJC FAir/UAir (minimum airtime):
1: Shorthop
5: DJ
6: FAir/UAir

DJC DAir (minimum airtime):
1: Shorthop
6: DJ
7: DAir

JCed DownB:
1: DownB
10: Jump

Multimagnet v1 repititions:
1: DownB
10: Jump
14/1: DownB

Multimagnet v2 repitions:
1: Jump
6: DownB
15: DJ
16: DownB
25/1: Jump

So yeah, have fun with it and maybe someone will be find something useful in there.

Top Bottom