• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Was is the most significant version of Project M for you?

Well?

Votes: 5 4.9%

Votes: 8 7.8%

Votes: 8 7.8%

Votes: 15 14.7%
  • 2.5b

Votes: 6 5.9%

Votes: 9 8.8%

Votes: 51 50.0%

• Total voters

MLGF

Smash Lord
I know it sounds weird, as obviously each Demo surpasses the former, to consider this question.
I was just considering how each demo improves the mechanics, which one really captured you into this game? Also, which one do you feel established its bases for upcoming versions to come.

Honestly, coming straight off Brawl+ and then jumping to 2.0, I feel as if that one was so important because it felt so different at the time. Even with all these updates and added content, I find that 2.0 was what created the base.

If I'm not being clear, I apologize, it's somewhat difficult to explain for some reason.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Oh mother****er.
Can't edit titles.

I try so hard not to make stupid typos and I just made such a stupid one.

Last edited:

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was going to vote for 2.1 because that's the first version I played, but I had to vote for 3.0 in the end.

3.0 just brings too much to the table for me to ignore. Having the entire cast available to play makes this feel much more legit than ever before. I can now recommend it to people and not have them ask my why X-character is missing. I also think the balance is in a really great place right now. I don't really care about Turbo Mode so whatever on that, but I definitely can't say anything bad about extra features being in the game!

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I had only first heard about this game when it was at 2.6

Me being a little bit careful with my systems as I am a poor man; I stayed away from it as much as possible.

I eventually got tempted to try it. It played nice and everyone I played smash with normally enjoyed the changes.

2.6 was the start for me but I think 3.0 had a little more impact on me.

It's not like it was a significant impact though. It was smash brothers trying to recreate the speed and technical aspects of melee, and I knew what to expect already. It felt just right like I was picking up Melee, although the graphics always threw me off just a little.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I think it was the same patch that fixed knockback stacking, edge teching, and the random input delay? Whatever patch that was gets my vote.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I voted 2.1 because IGN introduced the Skyloft stage to me which made me NEED Project M, hack or not.

I don't like IGN anymore, but I'll always thank them for exposing me to this wonderful mod :)

JRC LSS

Smash Apprentice
2.0 for sure. I had tried demo 1 way back when, but that one really felt just a little demo. 2.0 had a huge roster increase and could really be taken seriously as its own game. It's actually what pulled me away from competitive brawl and into the melee scene (the PM scene, really). If I'm not mistaken, 2.0/2.1 was the first version that saw any significant usage in tournaments. That IGN article made it seem so legit too.

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
I'd have to say say around 2.5. I remember trying Fox and Falco back when it was just them in a very early version and saying to myself "I'll keep an eye on it". I was still trying to get into competitive Brawl after Melee but, my playstyle just didn't mesh with it so I stuck to just watching from the side lines and playing non-competitively unlocking all the content and stuff. I missed the uniqueness to fighting that Melee brought about that made Smash Bros my favorite fighting game ever (64 had already made Smash one of my favorite franchises ever).

I downloaded 2.1 and played that but it wasn't until 2.5 that it started to feel like a game that I could really get into. So many characters and most importantly, an environment that hosted almost any playstyle. There was something for everybody and it was only going to get better. 3.0 is the realization of that by having every character and then some in the game, but 2.5 started it.

I'm hoping SSB4 will take the best parts of it's previous games just like Project M does.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I think it was the same patch that fixed knockback stacking, edge teching, and the random input delay? Whatever patch that was gets my vote.
2.5. on the other hand, that had the rly boring sonic play

I vote 2.0/2.1. that's when it stopped being "hahaha, this is kind of a fun mod I guess" and started being a thing that had the guts to stand up with the big leagues

though, arguably, in terms of how the popularity just spiked after the clone engine announcements, 3.0

Spire

III
BRoomer
Which introduced Lucario? Thanks for the reminder in advance.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Demo 2.0 introduced Lucario!

Why are 2.1 and 2.5b in the vote but not 2.6b...?

Spire

III
BRoomer

Then 2.0 gets my vote. That was my first version and Lucario was just so ridiculous that I fell in love. He felt impossibly married to the engine, able to assert complete control of any stage. It was one of the greatest fighting game experiences I've ever had. 3.0 is brilliant and I'm glad to see his changes for the sake of the roster, but I will forever be fond of his 2.0 playstyle.

Thanks for good memories!

Sir Combee

Smash Apprentice
Man, I used to play 1.0 so much. That gets my vote because I stubbornly refused to go back to Melee for that year or so that demo was out. I got a lot of usage out of those 14 characters. The other versions are clearly better, but Demo 1 was so exciting to me because it offered hope that one day I would be able to play a full roster of balanced characters. My friends would not believe me when I said more versions would eventually come out, but I kept insisting it was only a matter of time. So the anticipation of future updates and the long waiting period between Demo 1 and 2.0 made it the most memorable for me. Plus Zelda was so fun back then.

TreK

Is "that guy"
2.5 is what got me to stop thinking "P:M = Melee with better graphics, made by salty melee kids who can't handle Brawl". I can say thanks to Reflex and his Ivysaur for proving me wrong :3
My first match was on 2.5b, that one week I stayed in London. I somehow managed to place 9th/20ish the next day.
2.6 was the update when my main got broken, I can never forget that glorious time.
2.6b has been the update I have played the most as of yet
3.0 is the one that we've used as an excuse to grow a scene in my region.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
1.0. Not because it was better than what we have now, but because it was the first version I played and automatically made me see an extreme amount of potential in the game, even if it would take years to achieve it. Made me wanted to be dedicated to it, which eventually culminated with my entrance in the PMBR.

Which is at least the most interesting group of people I ever worked with.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
2.5 really raised the bar for me in terms of what to expect, i remember how excited i was when they started explaining how they fixed the control lag thing, which ended up being huge for me, and its what made me stay and wait for this glorious project to be completed

MLGF

Smash Lord

Because I made this topic at 1:00 at night out of spontaneous curiosity and inability to sleep, but my brain obviously wasn't working at full capacity.

Fear my johns.

Sizzlorr217

Smash Cadet
2.6 gets my vote.
The changes made to Lucas' D-Air and B-Air in 2.6, reverting them back to the Brawl model, were awesome.
Still, I will never forget his awesome Dair spike-like finisher and his heavy feeling Bair... that kick to the face... glorious.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
It may be lame, but I'm voting 3.0. It's when the roster was completed to the point where I have no reason to go back to Melee unless I want to play as Pichu. Before then I still had Samus, Mewtwo, Yoshi, and Ice Climbers to keep me coming back.

PATH O__o

::The Pathological Trailmix::
3DS FC
0018-2341-8072
I'm sad to say that I have only played 3.0, and know very little of the other versions. But I am completely in love with PM 3.0, and it's my absolute favorite game to play.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
It may be lame, but I'm voting 3.0. It's when the roster was completed to the point where I have no reason to go back to Melee unless I want to play as Pichu. Before then I still had Samus, Mewtwo, Yoshi, and Ice Climbers to keep me coming back.
>Voting 3.0
>Lame

Pick one, friend.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Tough call between 1.0 and 2.0. 1.0 showed such a vast difference from Brawl, and had that incredibly fun Zelda build, but 2.0 really pulled out the stops and has what is still my favorite version of Charizard.

I'm going to have to go with a slight edge to 2.0 due to the game really flexing the development of unique characters and due to the expansion in gameplay compared to the first demo.

I miss you 1.0 Zelda

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I still remember demo 1.0. It was rough around the edges but I couldn't help but think we had something special on our hands. Damn was I right.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
1.0. Not because it was better than what we have now, but because it was the first version I played and automatically made me see an extreme amount of potential in the game, even if it would take years to achieve it. Made me wanted to be dedicated to it, which eventually culminated with my entrance in the PMBR.

Which is at least the most interesting group of people I ever worked with.
Pretty much this.

I actually remember talking tech w/ you not too long after 1.0 dropped in regards to Sonic, lol.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I remember the very first version I downloaded back in early 2010, it was in .zip form before we moved to SVN. Air dodges went like the entire distance of Pokmon Stadium, and you could air dodge -> zair or item throw and get a ton of distance. L-Canceling didn't even work entirely right, we still a had Hybrid Air Dodge system. It was really, really bad. But I wasn't really looking at what was there, but at what could be. In Project M, I saw... a promise. A promise for improvement, of getting better. Each week I'd download a new .zip, a few more bugs would be fixed (and maybe a few more would crop up, haha). It kept happening for almost 4 years, and well, look where we are now. We have the entire cast done, we have Stage Striking, so many game mechanics breakthroughs that took months at a time, even fun things like Turbo Mode and Alternate Costumes, We have Mewtwo and Roy as separate characters. Hell, we have more entrants in PM at APEX than Brawl does, lol. If someone told me all this would have happened 4 years ago, I'd have laughed. But boy am I glad it did.

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I first played 2.1 but I didn't like it that much and I left using it, but 2.5 is what got PM on the radar for me.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
For me, the most significant version is definitely 3.0 because the roster is for the most part complete. I've been looking forward to Yoshi and Kirby for a long while and was very happy with how they feel. The Alternate Costume Engine is a wonderful flavor addition and for the most part gives Yoshi all his canon colors (Brown is still out, but eh). I don't really care about Mewtwo or Roy, but I'm fairly happy that they're in the game, even if I don't play them.

The idea that the game can still get better, that more things can be added to it, blows my mind.

Arteen

Smash Lord
3.0 definitely. I tried one of the earlier versions, but it felt incomplete without the full roster available. I didn't have much reason to play it when I could just play Melee.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
2.5 because it was my first version.
I was hooked immediately, and it easily became my favorite smash game (nostalgia aside).
The first time I played it was when my friend brought it over. The changes made to my favorite characters were just so mmmmmmmm. My initial concern about was PM breaking my Wii trying to mod it, but my friend said I'd have to be an idiot to do that. With those worries out of the way, I got the hackless version and practiced the **** out of it for 2 weeks (still sux). Then I wanted to add modded stages and music, which led me to this wonderful site. Here I am 366 posts later.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Going from 2.1 to 2.5, the game felt significantly better. They fixed knock back stacking and the random input delay, which were HUGE fixes!

3.0 is 2nd on the list for clone engine and fixing Stage Collision Detection and restoring the Melee shield stun/push formula.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
3.0 seriously cause of Roy.
Even though I think he's worse now because of his damn falling speed, and chasing in the air with him can be complete suicide

/gonna get butchered for comment

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
3.0 seriously cause of Roy.
Even though I think he's worse now because of his damn falling speed, and chasing in the air with him can be complete suicide

/gonna get butchered for comment
At least you know what to expect.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
At least you know what to expect.
Tis true, I'm mostly having a difficult time getting used to his new chasing abilities, and the fact he's so damn heavy and just that for some reason I always had a hard time being very precise with my attacks in Brawl - guess I never shook off the Melee timing.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
2.5b because it's what got me back into smash after having left it behind for 2 whole years. Like, after my Wii broke in 2010 I gave up on Smash, but when I found out about PM (after starting to take Melee a bit seriously on campus in early Feb. 2013) I was just blown away. To think that a group of people had actually managed to mod Brawl so heavily and precisely that it resembled Melee so much was just astounding. After playing it on a friends Wii on campus I fell in love, went and brought out my old SD card downloaded it and started to play it at a friends house and was addicted to it, by then I said to myself "I NEED to buy a Wii again", so I did. It's also because of this that I decided to join Smashboards after lurking for about a month.

So thank you PMBR and demo 2.5b for revitalizing my love for smash, my flame burns brighter than ever thanks to you guys.

Top Bottom