• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario

D

Deleted member

I don't see why not.
I mean, it definitely fits Wario to munch on people like they're hot dogs. :awesome:

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Chomp should be more like his Inhale attack from Wario World instead of being cut.

I'd be willing to give up the Bike for a shoulder bash attack.

Hopefully Customizable Movesets will give us both options.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
The bike is fun and it's an integral part of his character so I don't get why some want it out.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
It's not an integral part of his character at all. Wario Ware is a spinoff, when he had an action/platformer series, that's what should be represented, and he didn't even have a bike in those games. Imagine if Kirby had no legs and attacked by rolling into people, or Mario didn't throw fireballs or use his cape, he fired Tennis balls and drove his kart into people. It's the same thing, a horrible misrepresentation of a character, a character who has a lot to offer from his original incarnations and deserves better.

Wario Land 2 and 3 are the games they should be looking to most heavily for basis. That's the best Wario. Shoulder Bash, ground-pound, normal walk cycle. Normal punching attacks. Rebuild him from the ground up.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
That is absolutely ridiculous. Warioware is a spin off?

In...what way? It's very much its own distinct IP. That's how the creator of Wario treats Warioware, so I'd rather go with what he wants with his own series than whatever you're saying. Are you saying his vision of Wario is "wrong"? Get out with that crap. Warioware is a big part of Wario whether you like it or not.

Also you just described a generic character. lol "You know what he should do? generic attacks like punching" Out of curiosity, did you even play Warioware?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be honest, I personally feel that the bike would be much more useful than the shoulder bash. Why can't the shoulder bash be his side smash (Then again, he kinda had it there) or his dash attack like they did with Donkey Kong's new roll attack? (Which is iconic to him too) Feels more suited there if you ask me...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Agreed.
His signature Dash Attack should be his.......dash attack.
Sakurai kind of dropped the ball there. At least he didn't forget the move though, since its his Forward Smash.

Make that "head smash" attack from Wario World into his Forward Smash functioning the same way as the old F-Smash, and have his Dash Attack be a proper dash attack, and it's all good.

.....except maybe replacing that godawful Down Smash with an Earthshake Punch ala Shake It!/Shake Dimension.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I forgave the dash attack since it was Wario stealing bases. **** is so cool I want it back.

Only moves I'd be willing to replace are DSmash and the Waft. (Unless he doesn't get a reliable kill move.)

Luigimitsu

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, I personally feel that the bike would be much more useful than the shoulder bash. Why can't the shoulder bash be his side smash (Then again, he kinda had it there) or his dash attack like they did with Donkey Kong's new roll attack? (Which is iconic to him too) Feels more suited there if you ask me...
Hey, saw you're from London and a mod on Smashboards, are you aware of the London tournament community? I am a Wario main on Brawl and PM.

Wario is the one character I am really hoping will get in (I think there's a 90% chance, but the character limit..). I just want him to keep his aerial movement, clap, bite and maybe nair/dair. Fair is also pretty cool, just the way you can poke people with it in some situations. To balance him, obviously get rid of grab release, maybe nerf the fart somehow (make it like Jigglypuff's rest, good move but very punishable). The fart is too good as a punish in itself.

Morbi

Scavenger
Hey, saw you're from London and a mod on Smashboards, are you aware of the London tournament community? I am a Wario main on Brawl and PM.

Wario is the one character I am really hoping will get in (I think there's a 90% chance, but the character limit..). I just want him to keep his aerial movement, clap, bite and maybe nair/dair. Fair is also pretty cool, just the way you can poke people with it in some situations. To balance him, obviously get rid of grab release, maybe nerf the fart somehow (make it like Jigglypuff's rest, good move but very punishable). The fart is too good as a punish in itself.
I feel like Wario's chance is far above 90%. It is more like... 100%. :wario:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
It's not an integral part of his character at all. Wario Ware is a spinoff, when he had an action/platformer series, that's what should be represented, and he didn't even have a bike in those games. Imagine if Kirby had no legs and attacked by rolling into people, or Mario didn't throw fireballs or use his cape, he fired Tennis balls and drove his kart into people. It's the same thing, a horrible misrepresentation of a character, a character who has a lot to offer from his original incarnations and deserves better.

Wario Land 2 and 3 are the games they should be looking to most heavily for basis. That's the best Wario. Shoulder Bash, ground-pound, normal walk cycle. Normal punching attacks. Rebuild him from the ground up.
Dude... if Mario drove his Kart as his down B instead of FLUDD, that would be AWESOME.

But seriously, Wario is a comedic character. I like the dual nature of his moveset: half classic Wario and half Wario Ware. Kinda explains why he has two different costumes, too. And COME ON, how is riding a huge chopper around not totally awesome?

Waltz

Smash Rookie
NNID
ryanwaltzwalter1
Alright, despite the discussion on what move set that Wario should have, I'm trying to use the moves he does have and improve my Wario game. I'm relatively new to Smash Bros., so you all can call me a "n00b" or what have you, but I'm still trying to get better at the game. In the few months that I've played Smash, I've primarily played Project M (the latest version, I understand that he was terrible in the previous versions or something) and I have 'mained' in Wario for the entirety of my Smash experience. I'm wondering if anyone could suggest any combos or tactics for Wario. I've used him in Doubles, where he is excellent as we all know, but I'm trying to get better in Singles as Wario, which I think I'm slowly doing. The primary combos I use are: Down C-Stick (the yellow one, again sorry I don't know if you call it by another name) then Left/Right Smash to make him Shoulder Bash into the opponent (I understand you can DI out of that and it doesn't always work), and Up C-Stick (yellow) and then Jump follows by Up (yellow) to make him clap and I will sometimes do that over and over. I don't know, I'm certainly not amazing at the game but I'm not terrible by any means (even though I sound like a dunce after reading this over) but I just want to get better at Wario. Thanks!

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Alright, despite the discussion on what move set that Wario should have, I'm trying to use the moves he does have and improve my Wario game. I'm relatively new to Smash Bros., so you all can call me a "n00b" or what have you, but I'm still trying to get better at the game. In the few months that I've played Smash, I've primarily played Project M (the latest version, I understand that he was terrible in the previous versions or something) and I have 'mained' in Wario for the entirety of my Smash experience. I'm wondering if anyone could suggest any combos or tactics for Wario. I've used him in Doubles, where he is excellent as we all know, but I'm trying to get better in Singles as Wario, which I think I'm slowly doing. The primary combos I use are: Down C-Stick (the yellow one, again sorry I don't know if you call it by another name) then Left/Right Smash to make him Shoulder Bash into the opponent (I understand you can DI out of that and it doesn't always work), and Up C-Stick (yellow) and then Jump follows by Up (yellow) to make him clap and I will sometimes do that over and over. I don't know, I'm certainly not amazing at the game but I'm not terrible by any means (even though I sound like a dunce after reading this over) but I just want to get better at Wario. Thanks!
I'd love to help you, however, I don't use PM Wario as I despise the design of his moveset there. I pretty much only play Diddy in Project M.

My advice is to check out the Wario sub forum in the Project M section, they'll probably help you out there.

Waltz

Smash Rookie
NNID
ryanwaltzwalter1
I'd love to help you, however, I don't use PM Wario as I despise the design of his moveset there. I pretty much only play Diddy in Project M.

My advice is to check out the Wario sub forum in the Project M section, they'll probably help you out there.
Alright thank you. And really? See I hated his move set in Brawl, I guess it's just a personal preference.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I actually prefer his classic costume (that Game Boy color variant in particular, it's so amazing), but I think his biker outfit should be his default to distinct himself from the Mario series. And honestly, Wario is pretty much more associated with Warioware at this point, his creators abandoned Wario Land after 4 and made him star in a different IP.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
You know, a Wario Land title for 3DS is almost too perfect for words.
I forsee many Virtual Boy references.

The franchise recently saw an installment in Shake It: and a great one at that.

In fact I could totally see Wario getting Shake It inspired moves.
A shoulder bash dash attack and a ground shaking down smash.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I actually prefer his classic costume (that Game Boy color variant in particular, it's so amazing), but I think his biker outfit should be his default to distinct himself from the Mario series. And honestly, Wario is pretty much more associated with Warioware at this point, his creators abandoned Wario Land after 4 and made him star in a different IP.
I don't know if that's true per say, maybe but most people I know know him as Mario's rival. I mean if you google him, most of his image results has him in his overalls outfit. Plus, there was a new Wario Land after 4, there was one on Wii called Shake It.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
You know, a Wario Land title for 3DS is almost too perfect for words.
I forsee many Virtual Boy references.

The franchise recently saw an installment in Shake It: and a great one at that.

In fact I could totally see Wario getting Shake It inspired moves.
A shoulder bash dash attack and a ground shaking down smash.
I got Shake It! a while back. Never got very far in it. It had a lot of good qualities, but it wasn't amazing or anything. Still, I'd almost be disappointed if he didn't get at least ONE attack from that game, even if it's just his new pummel: the shake!

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Shake It is very good, but not as amazing as Wario Land 4 which is what it's based on. I think it's the weakest Wario Land.
I don't know if that's true per say, maybe but most people I know know him as Mario's rival. I mean if you google him, most of his image results has him in his overalls outfit. Plus, there was a new Wario Land after 4, there was one on Wii called Shake It.
Your first sentence is an anecdote. According to sales data, Warioware is a bigger franchise, thus it is more recognizable. I was strictly speaking about his main franchises, because google's images shows renders of spin offs, not Wario Land.

His overalls is pretty much notable because of the spin offs, not Wario Land. When you take the spin offs out of the equation his biker persona is his character now, even his own creators see it that way. Shake It was outsourced, it was not developed by the team who made Wario Land. Warioware Smooth Moves is what they developed on the Wii.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Shake It is very good, but not as amazing as Wario Land 4 which is what it's based on. I think it's the weakest Wario Land.

Your first sentence is an anecdote. According to sales data, Warioware is a bigger franchise, thus it is more recognizable. I was strictly speaking about his main franchises, because google's images shows renders of spin offs, not Wario Land.

His overalls is pretty much notable because of the spin offs, not Wario Land. When you take the spin offs out of the equation his biker persona is his character now, even his own creators see it that way. Shake It was outsourced, it was not developed by the team who made Wario Land. Warioware Smooth Moves is what they developed on the Wii.
I think the bottom line is the overalls, rival-to-Mario version of Wario is more famous than the WarioWare version of him. WarioWare might outsell Wario Land, but in recent years there haven't really been as many Lands as there are Ware games anyway. Maybe Ware is just more popular than Land anyway, but regardless Wario will always be a Mario character to many people, though maybe not the degree Yoshi is. WarioWare is a spin-off of a spin-off anyway.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'm not gonna disagree with you on the notion, but in Smash Wario isn't representing the spin offs, he's representing his own series, one that is distinct from the Mario series. (Way moreso than Yoshi and arguably DK) Going with the biker outfit, which is iconic enough to warrant this, is the logical choice, because otherwise it'd be a meaningless representation, and it goes against his own creator's vision of the characters. Who I'm sure actually aren't fond of how associated he is with Mario, which is probably why they picked him as the main character for Warioware to distinct himself from the plumber since he's their precious character. He's still a Mario character to those people, just now that they know he's more about Warioware than Mario in Smash and can stand on his own.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I enjoyed Shake It a lot. It was actually my first Wario Land game.
The incredible art style and great soundtrack really blew me away, and it still does.
If only we could get a sequel that looks and sounds like Shake It.

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
I hope some more of Wario's moves represent the original Wario Land, it would be awesome if his side special is the Jet Hat.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I enjoyed Shake It a lot. It was actually my first Wario Land game.
The incredible art style and great soundtrack really blew me away, and it still does.
If only we could get a sequel that looks and sounds like Shake It.

My favorite game of all time and the best Wario Land game in terms of level design, presentation and controls. What it lacks in length it makes up with seamless progression. This game is one of the pinnacles of platformers, especially in level design, yet it is often ignored due to its short length and off beat platforming. It has replay value because it has a difficulty system that actually changes the whole game. Everything that Shake It does, this game does it better.

I actually bought a game design book with this game used as a case study. It's 600 pages, but it's a great analysis and details why this game is fantastic required reading.

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
I'd like half inspiration from Wario Land, half Wario Ware, and a little for his Mario Spin off roles. Maybe some move that stuns people that are on the ground for a few seconds, but it has to be charged up to do that. That was a move in Super Mario Land 2.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I'm not gonna disagree with you on the notion, but in Smash Wario isn't representing the spin offs, he's representing his own series, one that is distinct from the Mario series. (Way moreso than Yoshi and arguably DK) Going with the biker outfit, which is iconic enough to warrant this, is the logical choice, because otherwise it'd be a meaningless representation, and it goes against his own creator's vision of the characters. Who I'm sure actually aren't fond of how associated he is with Mario, which is probably why they picked him as the main character for Warioware to distinct himself from the plumber since he's their precious character. He's still a Mario character to those people, just now that they know he's more about Warioware than Mario in Smash and can stand on his own.
The only thing I would like to say is that when it comes to how associated with Mario he is... what did they expect? Wario looks like Mario, he made his debut in a Mario game and has appeared in more than two main series games at that, he's been in every spin off to date and his original and even more iconic look is just Mario's outfit with different shoes and different colors; and to top it all off his name is just the same thing only they flipped the first letter upside down... while he has become his own character as well, if they wanted him to be completely his own thing they shouldn't have made him Mario's doppelganger, it'd be like Venom's creators getting mad he's too associated with Spider-Man.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
It's not THAT extreme. It's more like they want Wario to be able to stand on his own without Mario, and he could with Warioware.

Well either that or they wanted to use the Wario brand to bring the $$$.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
I personally hope that Wario, while retaining his WarioWare biker outfit, will obtain more moves that are from the WarioLand Series, WarioWorld, and possibly a Master of Disguise atlernate outfit.
I hope the bike stays, but maybe his signature shoulder bash could be his dash attack.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Biker/Overalls aside, if he gets ANOTHER alt, I want this.

It's classy and it screams "hey look at me im rich". Too bad it won't happen.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
Dude... if Mario drove his Kart as his down B instead of FLUDD, that would be AWESOME.

But seriously, Wario is a comedic character. I like the dual nature of his moveset: half classic Wario and half Wario Ware. Kinda explains why he has two different costumes, too. And COME ON, how is riding a huge chopper around not totally awesome?
That's like saying Mario is half Super Mario Sunshine. He's not half classic Wario at all, he's not even like, 1/16th. He has one move from Wario Land, and it doesn't work the way it did in Wario Land.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
I think the bottom line is the overalls, rival-to-Mario version of Wario is more famous than the WarioWare version of him. WarioWare might outsell Wario Land, but in recent years there haven't really been as many Lands as there are Ware games anyway. Maybe Ware is just more popular than Land anyway, but regardless Wario will always be a Mario character to many people, though maybe not the degree Yoshi is. WarioWare is a spin-off of a spin-off anyway.
And people don't play Wario Ware for Wario. It could be anyone as the face of the game.
That is absolutely ridiculous. Warioware is a spin off?

In...what way? It's very much its own distinct IP. That's how the creator of Wario treats Warioware, so I'd rather go with what he wants with his own series than whatever you're saying. Are you saying his vision of Wario is "wrong"? Get out with that crap. Warioware is a big part of Wario whether you like it or not.

Also you just described a generic character. lol "You know what he should do? generic attacks like punching" Out of curiosity, did you even play Warioware?
yes, I've played Wario Ware extensively, and i like it a lot. That has nothing to do with Wario. It could be Diddy Kong Ware and the gameplay would be enjoyable. It's not something to base a moveset on.

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
Both the WarioWare and Wario Land franchises are what Wario is representing here. Strike a balance between the two series. If one side gets too much representation, Poor old Wario would just be another bland fighter. Keep in mind that Sakurai is trying to keep to a certain style with Wario, hence why he initially chose WarioWare to base he moveset on.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
That's like saying Mario is half Super Mario Sunshine. He's not half classic Wario at all, he's not even like, 1/16th. He has one move from Wario Land, and it doesn't work the way it did in Wario Land.
That's a decent point. I've only played two Wario games (Virtual Boy and Shake It), so I'm not exactly a Wario expert. I figured at least a few other attacks of his were from his adventure games. I guess I was wrong.

Top Bottom