• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Hello?

Warioware? It exists?
Like I said, the bike can stay. The problem with WarioWare is that he's never actually shown fighting or doing anything for the most part. The closest we have is Wario Man and the bike both of which I'm perfectly fine with.

I actually really love the Waft - sure it's not exactly "in-line" with his portrayal in Land, but it also fits with the quirky animations and playstyle used by WarioWare Wario.

If it were to be replaced, which I doubt, I'd at least want it to be replaced by something as unique. Not another ground pound. Good lord, Yoshi and Bowser are enough.
I know it may be a little superfluous, but I think it could be made unique. If Wario does a slam near the enemy but doesn't hit, he does a tiny amount of damage and interrupts an attack if they're performing one. I've always imagined Wario as a mobile heavyweight that hits hard with the downside of very limited reach.

Speaking of, though. There's already four characters who shoulder bash. Samus, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf and yes, Wario. Just a thought lol.
True. I guess it's just sort of a natural attack for a lot of characters. At least he does it in his games.

The one thing that absolutely has to go imo is the choppy movements. Even in WarioWare, I don't recall him being all that choppy. It just looks stupid. G&W is the only one who's allowed to do that.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I like him being a utility based acrobatic fighter that can adopt many playstyles. There's nothing like that in Smash and the only examples in other fighting games I can think of are Rufus (Street Fighter) and Bob (Tekken). "Mobile heavyweight that hits hard" pretty much applies to DK, except he HAS good range.

Also, I really grew to like the choppy moveset. It's fun and it complements his unpredictable design, so I'd rather not see it go, personally.

What has to go is the down smash.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I like his Warioware moveset for sure, but I do want a few Wario Land elements.

Shoulder Bash dash attack, Shake pummel, Earthquake down smash, Ground Pound dair (maybe), etc.

Chomp can be changed, but the other specials are a-okay. I'd be sad to see Bike or Waft go.
Corkscrew can go to hell unless it gets buffed. So many self-destructs...

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Shoulder Bash dash attack, Shake pummel, Earthquake down smash, Ground Pound dair (maybe), etc.
I agree with the Shake Pummel and Wario Slam for the Down Smash, but why not also add a Shake-It Style Forward throw, where you can have a second to angle where you want the enemy to be thrown. And maybe make his Down Throw where he puts the WarioWare-Bomb on the opponent, then books it as it explodes. Because Comedy is one of Wario's best factors. (I would also like an Idle Animation where he flexes/admires his muscles.)

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I think he should keep the wild swing a ding as his forward throw, and the butt stomp as his down throw.

Though I actually never realized he doesn't even pull out the Warioware bomb. huh...

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
I like him being a utility based acrobatic fighter that can adopt many playstyles. There's nothing like that in Smash and the only examples in other fighting games I can think of are Rufus (Street Fighter) and Bob (Tekken). "Mobile heavyweight that hits hard" pretty much applies to DK, except he HAS good range.

Also, I really grew to like the choppy moveset. It's fun and it complements his unpredictable design, so I'd rather not see it go, personally.

What has to go is the down smash.
Fair enough. I think he could keep the same playstyle and incorporate Wario Land elements. I bet they could even adapt some of the hitboxes so he ends up being pretty similar in the end.

Can't get with you on the choppy moveset, it just doesn't have any justification in the games.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I think Wario Land representation should be outside of Wario's moveset because as I said, I don't think he needs change. On the other hand, I'd love a stage. It annoyed me there wasn't anything for Wario Land.

And idk, I'm mostly in the air with Wario lol.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I wouldn't mind the bike being gone for the shoulder charge, and the Shake It Earthquake Pummel is a must for his D-Smash, especially since his Brawl D-Smash was so terrible, and I do like a few of the throw ideas around. But other than that I think he's fine, sure he could be made more faithful, but he really has a unique playstyle in Brawl that I don't want to see tampered with too much, Project M changed him too much imo.

Like Spinosaurus I want a Wario Land stage though, or at least just some music, the games have great potential for it, and have great soundtracks too.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Eh I really disagree with getting rid of the bike. It's practically iconic for the character and it kinda shaped Brawl Wario. (Its omission was the biggest difference about PM Wario, imo.)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I really don't like P:M's Side B, tbh.

It should have acted more like Wario Land Shake It, where it propels Wario forward and even gives him some upward coverage.
But instead it's slow and doesn't cover enough range.

I would be more than happy to have Shoulder Bash as a Dash Attack, probably moreso than a special.

Hong

The Strongest
Nintendo randomly posted this on FB and Twitter:
Sometimes you gotta get all Wario on somebody, right?
They typically do vague stuff like this when there is an announcement coming up soon.

Don't jump to conclusion; could just be a Wario game coming to VC or something. Thought I would post about it here, anyway.

Don't think anyone is dense enough to think he won't be coming back for this Smash Bros, but it would be great to see the delivery.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
My ideal shoulder bash is more of a fast combo extender, than an actual laggy finisher. I really didn't like it in Project M.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind a dash attack.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I feel like Wario players will never agree on which special move they'd rather let go. lol
Nintendo randomly posted this on FB and Twitter:They typically do vague stuff like this when there is an announcement coming up soon.

Don't jump to conclusion; could just be a Wario game coming to VC or something. Thought I would post about it here, anyway.

Don't think anyone is dense enough to think he won't be coming back for this Smash Bros, but it would be great to see the delivery.
Year of Wario incoming.

Only way to make up having Rosalina over Wario as the secret character in 3D World and neglecting him in NSMB2. Man, I'm STILL salty about those.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I would get rid of Chomp.

No contest.

Although I have a love-hate relationship with Corkscrew, which needs some major buffing.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
The chomp is fuuuun and satisfying. Love using it. It's a really good and versatile move, and it gives Wario a good defensive option, AND a punisher.

I said it before but I'd rather the waft goes because I have no idea where it came from. (The bite was a reference to a common Warioware microgame and the corkscrew is...kinda based on the move of the same name in Wario World.) That said though it's a really good KO move and a recovery option, so in the end I'd rather it stays, but it's the one that I wouldn't be too bugged about if it's gone

You know what, I'll just say Wario's special moveset is perfect as is.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Prior to Brawl, the character was never depicted as gaseous. (Mario Strikers aside, but that's outsourced.) He'd pick his nose a lot, but NEVER farted or burped as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure I'm missing the occasional Mario spin off where he does that, though. I guess you could count those poop stickers that came with manuals from his games in Japan.

It became a thing after Brawl, but not in the main Wario games. (Picking his nose is still the absolute worst he'd do in Warioware) This actually kinda bugs me because it's synonymous to the character now when he was supposed to be LAZY, not DISGUSTING. Oh well though, it doesn't really harm him or anything, and if anything it is a cool detail considering he loves garlic.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Speaking of, I wouldn't mind his taunts to change. The butt wiggle didn't make sense. Keep the laugh though. Change his W pose to reflect this and replace the butt wiggle with nose picking. Obviously keep the bike taunt.

Moreover, I seriously hope his model gets updated. At least make him taller and more toned.

More in line with these. He's still chubby, but not downright deformed.

I really want to see Wario properly translated to 3D. I fell in love with the character from seeing him in 2D arts and sprite, but I don't think his 3D incarnations ever captured the charm that his design emits in 2D. If there's one thing that could let that happen, it's Smash, but for some reason he was awfully rotund in Brawl. Considering how all the characters look in this game compared to Brawl, I don't think it's much of a stretch to think they'll get him right this time. Or at least I'm hoping so!

Man I really can't wait to see him. I'm enjoying his first HD appearance in Mario Kart 8 (beautiful animations), but I sill feel like his model just isn't comparable to his 2D art, although it's improving! MK8 was a step in the right direct, but here's hoping he finally looks right in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I feel like Wario players will never agree on which special move they'd rather let go. lol

Year of Wario incoming.

Only way to make up having Rosalina over Wario as the secret character in 3D World and neglecting him in NSMB2. Man, I'm STILL salty about those.
You and me both. Nintendo's fascination with Rosalina and Wario's overall neglect outside spinoffs is starting to annoy me.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Actually, one thing that might work - how would people feel about Wario's chomp being changed to a shake? He reaches out with grubby hands and begins rapidly shaking the foe as coins fly all over the place. Same effect, maybe just a slightly different hitbox due to the change.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I hope Wario's moveset stays either mostly the same or is just changed entirely. I don't want a mix of WarioWare and Wario Land in his moves, especially if they have to get rid of his old specials to do that. It just seems awkward to have both anyway since he's so different in those games.

If they do just make small changes to his Brawl moveset, it better be his throws since those were bland and should be replaced. I want those sweet wrestling moves from Wario World implemented pronto.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
I'd be ok with the moveset if he wasn't characterized so weirdly. Nothing would be lost if they got rid of the choppy animations, they're just so... strange. He's appeared alongside Mario so many times and moved normally, it doesn't make sense.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
No more choppy animations.

Throws correlated to his games.

Waft and Corkscrew combined. Corkscrew attack propelled by a rear excel of gas. Much less powerful, but on a faster automatic charge and can go much higher on full charge.

Bike stays. Bite and shoulder bash swap spots. Bite is the forward Smash and does not grab, but can eat projectiles. Shoulder Bash is B (can be charged).

Down B is an open slot.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I have no idea how the bite, a command grab unlike anything else in the game, could work as an fsmash.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Well, have two inputs like Mac's forward Smash (which has three inputs). Normal Forward Smash has Wario lean forward with an open mouth and snap his jaws together. A small shockwave push emits. The bite itself has high KO potential but short range.

If forward Smash is pressed and then down or up, the forward Smash will grab instead and chomp for damage racking.

Of course if you combine corkscrew and waft, you have a spot open. So B can be shoulder charge and down B can be the bite. This might be an easier less sloppy way.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
What do you guys think his recovery could be changed to? Assuming that the waft remains as his down b.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I honestly have nothing. Puff Wario would be...bland? Might as well make him float like Kirby or Jiggs.

I seriously can't think of anything. Though Wario is unique in that his recovery depends on whether or not he has all the options present.

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
I'd be ok with the moveset if he wasn't characterized so weirdly. Nothing would be lost if they got rid of the choppy animations, they're just so... strange. He's appeared alongside Mario so many times and moved normally, it doesn't make sense.
A moveset that doesn't make sense was what Sakurai was going for with Wario. Lose that, and you pretty much have... well... something not fun.

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman
I don't know enough of about Warioland/Ware to suggest moveset changes, so I would be fine if they just kept him the same but drop the Game & Watch choppy animations.

D

Deleted member

Watch Sakurai just troll you all and give Wario a "Pick 'em Flick 'em" attack out of nowhere. :troll:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Get rid of wraft and have him throwing a Bob-Bomb which was his special in Mario Kart DD then yelling FIRE, AHAHAHAHA!!!

I'ma Wario, I'ma going to win!

That needs to be a victory catch phrase.

I really want to see Wario revealed at E3, Mario Kart 8 has me excited to see Wario, why?

Because, Wario always wins, ahaha!

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Bob-Omb makes less sense than waft.

Unless it's the Warioware bomb, but eh.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Bob-Omb makes less sense than waft.

Unless it's the Warioware bomb, but eh.
That is excellent idea, I forgot there was a Wario Ware Bomb, its perfect, its a Wario product, its something iconic for Wario to use, its more iconic than gas, admit it.

I can see it now, Wario throws this bad boy yelling FIRE, AHAHAHAHAHA, like he does in Mario Kart 64.

AHAHA, Wario always wins!

Top Bottom