• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario

Rubbertop

Smash Cadet
NNID
Matt.C
3DS FC
4511-0538-1886
Am I the only one that actually wanted more Wario Land representation?
I mean, it thrills me to see how awesome he is in this iteration, but his fsmash in Brawl was my favorite move of his...it seems like Sakurai's trying to erase Wario's ties to his Land series and focus solely on his Ware half (most notably in his trophy description).
His fsmash was pretty much the only nod he got to Land; the rest was already unique stuff.
Why else would he only change his fsmash?
Custom move sets.

D

Deleted member

On the topic of runs; I only started to use Wario because he animated like a deranged cartoon character. I'm personally glad to see that's mostly retained.

Otherwise, I have 1 remaining question about Wario, and the game in general; what are Wario's palette swaps, and does he still have the white/black plumber outfit from Brawl?

Shog

Smash Ace
White Black Plumber outfit? Oh yes that is what I want to know, too. That is from Wario Land games, I hope it is in :3

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Gema just tried out one of Wario's Down B moves in stream. It's a fart that gives the opponent a flower that leeches life... It seemed to be more to it like stacking several flowers etc. but it seemed pretty good, chat was very surprised.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Gema just tried out one of Wario's Down B moves in stream. It's a fart that gives the opponent a flower that leeches life... It seemed to be more to it like stacking several flowers etc. but it seemed pretty good, chat was very surprised.
Was it a custom move?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Friend described his colors for me.

8. 4 warioware, 4 cllassic.

Warioware seems like it's all new. Has his default, a red one (his old one?), yellow/green and blue/purple.
Classic is default, Mario, Baby Blue and green/brown. All seem like they're back from Brawl.

Wow that's REALLY lame. He lost his best warioware AND classic color. :/

PCHU

Smash Lord
Custom move sets.
I'm fine with him being solely Warioware in his B moves, because all of his B moves are useful.
My issue is with his fsmash being changed from the shoulder barge to a punch -- I can't think of any good reason why that one move would be changed (although he did tweak nair, it's still very similar).
I'm content with how good he is, I just miss that shoulder barge...it felt so rewarding to land and it had super armor.
And, of course, it was one of the very few things from Wario Land that was actually worked into his moveset.

Shog

Smash Ace
Why...why must black white costume be removed...was it really that bad Sakurai Dev Team, was it T__T

D

Deleted member

Warioware seems like it's all new. Has his default, a red one (his old one?), yellow/green and blue/purple.
Classic is default, Mario, Baby Blue and green/brown. All seem like they're back from Brawl.

Wow that's REALLY lame. He lost his best warioware AND classic color. :/
Oh that's sad. Hopefully his new colors look decent or I'll probably stick the the default this time.

R.I.P. in Peace Gameboy Wario.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one

THANK YOU. I have been scouring the interwebs in search of this info for reasons. Do tag me if you find images of these new ones if you don't mind?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So, wait, did his Final Smash change or something?

Apologies for being a :079:, but there's so much to process and I've got a lot of catching up to do. >w<;;

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Still Wario-Man apparently. Which I'm fine with, it's way too much fun.
Ah, good, good. Still have fone memories of driving my friends and family to wrath and madness when I originally played as Wario. <3

My :079: status is vidicated.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I say they made him even better

Last edited:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
The project m one sucks. I understand they want to make it more like Wario land Wario, but Wario is silly and goofy. Let him be that way
He wasn't this originally.

At one one point, he was actually psychotic... and scary.

Also, this group doesn't really think highly of Wario in this game.

http://warioforums.com/index.php?threads/oh-joy-wario-still-sucks-in-smash-bros-4.338/
http://warioforums.com/index.php?threads/wario-has-been-confirmed-for-super-smash-bros-4.386/

Last edited:

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
Please tell me you are kidding about all this Wario discussion. Apparently Sakurai has something to do with the WarioWare games and thus thinks it's fine to remove all of Wario's roots to his origins? No shoulder tackle, ground punch, butt slam, etc?

And what's worse, I am being told now that he seriously only has 8 colors and not 16, 8 for each costume, of course? Removing his two reference colors being the white/navy and the brown classics? That seriously isn't cool, and I'm honestly very irritated to hear that, after looking for info on his colors forever. What's worse is that Little Mac has 16 colors though? Sakurai has the audacity to give that costume 7-8 colors itself but not to each of Wario's, Olimar even, or anyone similar?

I mean, I main Wario in Brawl and PM, but to hear that they are totally screwing up Wario from his nearly flawless PM incarnation is absolutely absurd. PM portrayed Wario just about flawlessly.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Please tell me you are kidding about all this Wario discussion. Apparently Sakurai has something to do with the WarioWare games and thus thinks it's fine to remove all of Wario's roots to his origins? No shoulder tackle, ground punch, butt slam, etc?

And what's worse, I am being told now that he seriously only has 8 colors and not 16, 8 for each costume, of course? Removing his two reference colors being the white/navy and the brown classics? That seriously isn't cool, and I'm honestly very irritated to hear that, after looking for info on his colors forever. What's worse is that Little Mac has 16 colors though? Sakurai has the audacity to give that costume 7-8 colors itself but not to each of Wario's, Olimar even, or anyone similar?

I mean, I main Wario in Brawl and PM, but to hear that they are totally screwing up Wario from his nearly flawless PM incarnation is absolutely absurd. PM portrayed Wario just about flawlessly.
Aren't those comparatively minor details? Wario is playable. He's a fun character. Be grateful for that and accept what we have.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
OK

-Air mobility nerfed. Doesn't have as much air acceleration before.
-Bike breaking doesn't produce tires anymore

ugh

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Don't know if this has been said, but I noticed that his Back Throw from Brawl is now his Forward Throw. Interesting. Maybe Sakurai want to have the swinging-throw as his Back Throw, like Mario and Luigi? Of course, we don't know yet if his back throw in the swinging one, as we haven't seen it yet.

And I've said it before but - Wario looks so frickin' great in this game!! My main character, finally with smooth animations!!

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I also got to see his colors from the CSS. All his Warioware ones are new, I presume, and he keeps the red, blue and green ones from brawl for his classic alt.

And I can't stress this enough but his air mobility isn't as good as in Brawl. That's REALLY disappointing. Seems he's less campy and more punish-y in this game, too.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I also got to see his colors from the CSS. All his Warioware ones are new, I presume, and he keeps the red, blue and green ones from brawl for his classic alt.

And I can't stress this enough but his air mobility isn't as good as in Brawl. That's REALLY disappointing. Seems he's less campy and more punish-y in this game, too.
I can work with that. Kind of sucks though.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I can work with that. Kind of sucks though.
I suppose his focus will be on his air to ground transitioning now, especially with his buffed ground attacks. He's still fast in the air and his aerials look to be just as good so it's not like his air game got killed lol.

I'm really more bummed by the tires though. From what I saw, however, the bike actually accelerates faster and the wheelie doesn't slow down much anymore.

On second thought, one of the reasons the tires were so good was thanks to glide tossing, which is gone anyway. I guess it isn't much of a loss.

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Got Wario. (JP copy)

Grab release still seems to be a thing, though this is on a computer, of course. He releases much farther away though, I could only get Fair/Uair with Marth.

Other impressions:

Nair has a goofy inflation effect on it. Doesn't seem to link nearly as well as Brawl, definitely no Nair-Grab. Bair seems like it has a bigger hitbox. Fair seems like it has a bit more range.

His recovery is still hella ********. You can bike-Jump-Double jump from the bottom corner of almost every stage in the game, and should that not get you back, they buffed his Up-B, he can make it out from the bottom of the magnifying glass on FD with just DJ Up-B.

F-Smash is replaced. Doesn't seem to have super armor, but has better range. It's a very powerful punch that kills around like 90. Not amazing range, but good enough. D-Smash has been made more comical and is still awful. U-Smash is now like Mario's, except I think it has a bigger hitbox.

Waft doesn't seem as strong, but I didn't get to test the most powerful timing of it. Full waft right next to someone did 27. D-tilt lost its IASA frames it seems. Jab still seemed alright, but I don't think Jab-grab would work.

Dash speed got hella buffed, he runs pretty fast actually.

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
Considering the amount of buffs Wario got to his ground game (especially his dtilt) I guess it makes sense that his air game took a hit.

Also, the game engine itself seems to favor Wario. This game has a far greater emphasis on weight, killing power, and recovery, three things Wario has in spades. From what I've seen, the Waft is no less potent a killer, his bike recovery works perfectly fine, and my assumption is that he's heavy going off his trophy description.

Wario may have taken a nerf to his air movement, but it's still above average and he still got stronger in many other areas, most notably his ground game. I'm not worried to be honest.

PS: Does anyone know if Wario can still taunt on his bike?

EDIT: God dammit, grab release is STILL a thing? How the hell could they screw that up twice? Can characters consistently land powerful smash attacks after it? I feel like this needs to be explored the most since it's really debilitating. *Sigh* that really killed my mood.

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Grab release is not nearly as bad as Brawl.

To crudely alter an existing picture:

The Red Box is roughly where Smash 4 releases him. You can still get stuff, but not ruinous stuff.

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for going through the effort of showing us this stuff. I wanna say I'm happy that it's not that bad, but I mostly feel that it's unacceptable that it's there at all. Characters with really powerful aerials, like Robin, are going to be a huge problem this time around.

Edit: Is it possible to test this on humans? Perhaps you can cancel the grab release animation earlier this time around?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTi7IPTwzKA#t=385

This video may be a grab release from Master hand, but Wario goes into the same animation, and it appears that he can go into his nair fairly quickly. Is this quick enough to avoid an incoming aerial?

Last edited:

Hyper

Smash Apprentice
Freaking grab release still being there is my only upset with Wario.
Doesn't matter if we're released higher, we'll just eat a Falcon knee or Zelda kick and all sorts of painful aerial attacks.

Crescendo

Smash Journeyman
Custom move sets.
Well, so far, there seem to be no sign of any kind of attack related to Wario Land in the customs. Which was obvious, considering they don't change the actual move at all, only the properties attached to it (well, except for Palutena and the Miis).
I'm bummed he lost his white overalls from Brawl, it was my favorite palette swap from the game.

Top Bottom